Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
This is where that thing called "situational awareness" really comes into play in this game, Pay attention to your team mates, who they pick and what they're doing and things will go well. Or just play for yourself, your K/D, your POTG and your team will fail every time.

On that note, playing a goon 6 man comp last night, we got pitched against the same team twice. A team rocking a brutal reaper/zarya/junkrat combo that either kept us pinned away from the point, flanked the ever-living-poo poo out of us or just steamrolled over us walking up the middle of the road. We had won our first 3 games as well so to lose the next two so brutally to them was a huge kick in the morale.

Someone kept yelling at the rest of us to avoid chasing Reaper but, any time we did and instead focused on the point to try and reclaim it, Reaper would just come in behind us and wreck house. Most accurate Reaper/Junkrat team I've ever come across in my miniscule 40 or so hours of playing.

LCL-Dead fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The only way to improve is to be honest with your self-reflection and not constantly blame other people. When you lose, don't immediately jump to your 'bad team' as an excuse, even if they were bad, you have to ask yourself: "What exactly could I have done better?"

This mentality, incidentally, is a one that really good, skilful people in all disciplines tend to take and part of the reason why they're the best is because they think that way.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
D.Va isn't capable of fighting Mei at all. Being frozen immediately reduces your momentum to 0 so she can't even fly away. Improving her time-to-freeze would make her really miserable to fight against for everyone else, not just D.Va.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I solo'd some Comp before gooning up and ran into a guy like that. He constantly complained about the team and then bitched at me for using Pharah on a KOTH map (?!!!?). So I calmly replied that I was gold in elims/damage and objective time and that he should step his game up.

He replied, "I'm gold in elims! You're not gold!" to which the entire team scolded him like a redheaded step child for being an idiot. He didn't card or anything in the end but 3 of us did, despite losing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

actually he was a marginal pick before this patch and pretty much rock bottom tier now

Mei's damage is already so low she needs strong CC to make up for it. (And she doesn't have strong CC, obviously.) As long as you're not saying her damage should be even lower, I agree with this post.

Yeah, that is what I mean. Her damage i slow but her CC isn't strong enough to make up for that, but I think the solution is buffing her CC, not her damage.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Make her freeze people faster? No.

You already have almost zero chance of escape (unless you're genji/Tracer/Reaper) if she gets that beam on you for more than 1.5 seconds.

Buff her rate of fire to something that happens more than once every 2.5 seconds.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

LCL-Dead posted:

You already have almost zero chance of escape (unless you're genji/Tracer/Reaper) if she gets that beam on you for more than 1.5 seconds.

If you think this you absolutely suck at Tracer, and probably at those other heroes too, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt with them because I have less experience in those matchups.

Pull range, shoot her in the head. Your rewind resets freeze status and is basically a get-out-of-jail free card that you shouldn't really even need to use because you have blinks to stay out of the zone where she can freeze you in the first place.

You're more likely to die to a random icicle to the head than you are to get frozen as Tracer if you're playing her right.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you think this you absolutely suck at Tracer, and probably at those other heroes too, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt with them because I have less experience in those matchups.

Pull range, shoot her in the head. Your rewind resets freeze status and is basically a get-out-of-jail free card that you shouldn't really even need to use because you have blinks to stay out of the zone where she can freeze you in the first place.

You're more likely to die to a random icicle to the head than you are to get frozen as Tracer if you're playing her right.

You should probably read that post again.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Andrast posted:

You should probably read that post again.

Okay yeah my bad.

It's still dumb as hell, just not for the reason I thought. I can go dig up my old "think about freezing in terms of effective DPS" post if you want a more general argument for why "Mei OP" is wrong.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 27, 2016

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Tracer is OP and needs a nerf. A well played Tracer is just about unstoppable, more so than any other class.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm reading a good amount online about how Overwatch is a CPU heavy game and how some some players with great GPUs are bottlenecked by the CPU. What's a recommended CPU for this game?

Blizzard recommends "Intel® Core™ i5 or AMD Phenom™ II X3 or better" but just "i5" is super vague, and people with various i5s report a CPU bottleneck.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 27, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

nvm

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Andrast posted:

He said it's almost impossible to escape UNLESS you are Tracer/Genji/Reaper

Yes, that's why I said "my bad."

I guess reading comprehension matchmaking is working as intended. :shobon:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yes, that's why I said "my bad."

I guess reading comprehension matchmaking is working as intended. :shobon:

Did you edit that post? I swear I read something completely different.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Andrast posted:

Did you edit that post? I swear I read something completely different.

I edited it to add the part about Mei arguments generally, but not the part you quoted.

I shouldn't be so confrontational about stuff it's easy to get a false impression of. Competitive games are frustrating by nature, and it's not like I never have knee-jerk reactions. I shouldn't poke fun at them in others.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I edited it to add the part about Mei arguments generally, but not the part you quoted.

I shouldn't be so confrontational about stuff it's easy to get a false impression of. Competitive games are frustrating by nature, it's not like I never have knee-jerk reactions. I shouldn't poke fun at them in others.

I guess I'm just going crazy then. Reading comprehension is indeed hard.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
My initial post wasn't meant to make it sound like Mei was OP. It was meant to decry the idea of making her CC stronger, of which the only two ways I could think of to do that would be to either extend the range or make the freeze effect happen faster.

As a Bastion / Reinhardt / Roadhog / Lucio, and so on, if Mei gets the drop on you there really isn't a chance to get away from that freeze. It might not equal death but it's what I would consider effective CC. Turning up the freeze rate would make her more OP than release McCree IMO.

I've also seen some deadly accurate Mei players where that ice bolt is concerned. Like, that motherfucker never missed a single shot kind of accurate.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Meis ok but she shouldn't have falloff on M2 since it's a projectile

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Xaris posted:

Here's what this game doesn't need: Hanzo with 250 HP and an invincibility button.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

LCL-Dead posted:

As a Bastion / Reinhardt / Roadhog / Lucio, and so on, if Mei gets the drop on you there really isn't a chance to get away from that freeze. It might not equal death but it's what I would consider effective CC. Turning up the freeze rate would make her more OP than release McCree IMO.

This is why I think a Mei buff should be something in the way of extra mobility or more ability to get up on high places for ambushes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Well, the thing is even with genuinely scary CC, Mei still can't kill tanks in a timely fashion the way McCree could. Icicle is a lot of burst damage but it's slow, and I wouldn't advocate turning up the duration of the freeze, only the buildup.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LCL-Dead posted:

It's not really. The major thing is that CC needs to be more effective than death to be worthwhile. Otherwise you get the oft-asked question of 'why am I just freezing them instead of shooting them?"

Mei's gimmick is CC. She weakens and slows down characters for other people to kill them. She needs to be good at that to be effective. If she isn't then she's going to continue to languish in the land of uselessness.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 27, 2016

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Xaris posted:

They did that and it worked about as well as McCree with 32m range.

Widowmaker was hard countered by Mei at extreme ranges.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Mei's right click should be a big ice fart like Lucio's right click that slows movement speed or freezes low hp dudes like tracer/gneji or some poo poo. Shes supposed to be short range so having a long range headshot fire is weird.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Hughmoris posted:

Tracer is OP and needs a nerf. A well played Tracer is just about unstoppable, more so than any other class.

Please. If your teammates are competent you can have two guys keep an eye out for her and she won't be a threat.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
My friends keep whining about getting matched up against higher player levels even when we are in competitive and our opponents are the same rank. It's infuriating.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

LCL-Dead posted:

My initial post wasn't meant to make it sound like Mei was OP. It was meant to decry the idea of making her CC stronger, of which the only two ways I could think of to do that would be to either extend the range or make the freeze effect happen faster.

I've also seen some deadly accurate Mei players where that ice bolt is concerned. Like, that motherfucker never missed a single shot kind of accurate.

Lucio? I don't disagree with the other three, but Lucio? Boop her and swap to speed. Then jetset radio away laughing. That's Lucio's standard response to anything that gets within melee range.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mei deals 45 DPS with her M1 and it takes 70 damage from it to freeze someone. I'm actually not sure if the recovery from the freeze is gradual, or if it wears of all at once after a certain amount of time.

Assuming for the sake of sanity that it doesn't wear off while simultaneously being applied, though, that means it takes Mei a little over 1.5 seconds to apply her CC, assuming perfect accuracy. Mei's M1 is easier to aim than many attacks but it's not auto lock-on. It also has a maximum range of 10 meters with no falloff. Once they're frozen she still has to icicle them for the kill. Say you get one guaranteed icicle while someone's frozen, for 70 + 150 damage (assuming a headshot on the icicle) for a total of 220 damage.

In the same time Reaper could fire 3 shots and deal up to 420 damage at similar ranges (non-headshot, but let's suppose misses and headshots roughly cancel out), plus he has falloff out to twice Mei's range. And Reaper's not OP, he's just a solid hero at just about the right power level.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ddraig posted:

The only way to improve is to be honest with your self-reflection and not constantly blame other people. When you lose, don't immediately jump to your 'bad team' as an excuse, even if they were bad, you have to ask yourself: "What exactly could I have done better?"

This mentality, incidentally, is a one that really good, skilful people in all disciplines tend to take and part of the reason why they're the best is because they think that way.

Wrong, if I"m getting golds as Zarya, then everyone is bad, should be reported, and I should be awareded the Presidential Medal of Freedom for havin such a TERRIBLE toxic team!!!1111

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

LCL-Dead posted:

Just kill her? Lucio can boop her away and the other three vastly outdamage Mei. Bastion can tear through Mei's HP before the freeze kicks in, and the other two win the damage race even despite the freeze. The only thing freezing a Roadhog or Reinhart does is buy time for Mei to run away. And that's with her getting the drop on them, totally unexpected, within her optimal range. As for her M2...well, it's harder to hit with than McCree's M1, has a much slower rate-of-fire, and has maybe half the effective range. Even in the hands of an incredibly accurate pro player, it's not exactly overwhelming.

On the other hand, if Reaper gets the drop on Bastion, Reinhart, or Roadhog, he can do a lot more to them than just freezing them and running away, and it won't take him much longer to kill them than it takes Mei to freeze them. And since Reaper has better mobility than Mei, he's much better at getting those opportunities.

The thing is, the time-to-freeze doesn't actually affect people's ability to escape, because pretty much everyone in this game runs at the same speed, and her slowdown debuff means that only certain cooldown abilities are able to escape her. What time-to-freeze affects is how much damage potential a character (and any nearby teammates) has to have to kill her before she can freeze them.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
OK just because MOBAs get brought up in this thread from time to time:

I've never played a MOBA. Not really experienced with RTS games either. Are any of the MOBAs out there (LoL, Dota2, HotS, Smite(?)) actually somewhat welcoming for complete newbies, or is it all as toxic as I keep hearing?

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Chin Strap posted:

I've never played a MOBA. Not really experienced with RTS games either. Are any of the MOBAs out there (LoL, Dota2, HotS, Smite(?)) actually somewhat welcoming for complete newbies, or is it all as toxic as I keep hearing?

HoTS might be the newbie-friendliest, but the players of competitive gaming in general can be quite toxic and unwelcoming, or very nice and helpful, depending on who you end up with. I like it because I see the iconic Blizzard heroes, there are multiple maps, and each plays a bit different with various objectives (that some people just ignore, like in OW). Since they're free (I think, not sure about Smite), it can't hurt to give them a shot. Post in the HoTS thread and someone can give you a 'recruit' link that unlocks some good and free heroes for you as you play, gives you stim pack for bonus xp/gold, etc.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

The thing with MOBAs is that their mechanical complexity and thus how much fun they are to play is in inverse proportion to how welcoming there are, and there is no happy medium.

In your position I would probably play Heroes of the Storm, even though Heroes of the Storm feels awful to play (at least for me) because every cool ability from DotA / HoN has been turned into a Fischer-Price parody of itself.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Chin Strap posted:

When it comes to gameplay and mechanics HotS is the most newbie-friendly one, but I don't think the community is far superior than any of the other games you've listed. You choose a character and you're stuck with it for the next 15-25 minutes*, not being able to leave without completely screwing over your teammates. It's just not the most friendly format for a multiplayer game. HotS doesn't have cross-team chat and you can disable team-chat at the start of every game with the push of a button, but I'm not certain such a desperate approach to ignore people talking to you will translate to having fun.

*longer if it isn't HotS

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 27, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Don't play a moba

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Andrast posted:

Don't play a moba

this is the real answer

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Chin Strap posted:

I hate MOBAs and never played them until I went through a HOTS phase last summer. It's just as toxic as Overwatch if I remember correctly. If you can tolerate OW, gives HOTS a chance!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the biggest thing holding back HotS is the fact that it either takes a really long time or a big pile of cash to unlock all the heroes.

Andrast posted:

Don't play a moba

also this

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Heran Bago posted:

I'm reading a good amount online about how Overwatch is a CPU heavy game and how some some players with great GPUs are bottlenecked by the CPU. What's a recommended CPU for this game?

Blizzard recommends "Intel® Core™ i5 or AMD Phenom™ II X3 or better" but just "i5" is super vague, and people with various i5s report a CPU bottleneck.

I'm running a 770 with an i3-2120 with everything maxed and the game runs fine most of the time. The times it didn't it ran like poo poo for everyone in the match (server side poo poo?) or it was because I was dumb and ran out of memory from leaving Chrome with multiple tabs running in the background along with other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Andrast posted:

Don't play a moba

MOBAs are awesome. Shame about the people playing them, though.