Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The Legend of Zelda as presented by Sierra.

"Just because they say you're 'in the drink', it doesn't mean you're meant to swallow! RESTORE RESTART QUIT"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I know its bad form to blame your controller but I think I did actually set my analog stick to be far too sensitive. Unfortunately I forgot to change it before the next two sessions and that caused some "issues" but I'm gonna go do it right now so I don't accidentally throw myself into any more poison water

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Faerie Fortune posted:

(Get Monster Hunter Generations, guys. Its real good)

I don't believe you. :colbert:

Keksen posted:

Seems like the most messed up thing about Termina so far is that there are no laws against offering boat tours through poisoned water. That and Tingle.

Nah it's cool, as long as no one jumps into the water, everything will be fine.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Artix has good taste in Majora's Mask music.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I was a bit confused for a moment because I forgot you need the beans here if you're playing the game normally, I would have gone straight for the other path :v:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Some Numbers posted:

Artix has good taste in Majora's Mask music.

Hell, most of the music in this game is pretty drat good. If nothing else, the game is an audio treat.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Faerie Fortune posted:

(Get Monster Hunter Generations, guys. Its real good)

Can confirm, Game Is Good.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Hey its that thing where I do an update!

Episode 13 - Tactical Stealth Action Pt. 2

Wherein we continue to actually do plot things and we reunite with an old "friend"

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

As it happens, the way you're supposed to convince the monkey that you're not one of the Deku Scrubs who captured him is... to talk to him as a human. When he sees that you're not a Deku Scrub, he'll tell you that he wants to teach you a song, but if you show him the Ocarina, he says it can't possibly play the song loud enough to achieve its purpose and asks if you have something louder. That's why the "Who are you again?" when you pull out the pipes as a Deku is a faceplant moment.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I have to think there's some sort of memory weirdness going on with the Deku transformation, like Glory in Buffy or something.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Nidoking posted:

As it happens, the way you're supposed to convince the monkey that you're not one of the Deku Scrubs who captured him is... to talk to him as a human. When he sees that you're not a Deku Scrub, he'll tell you that he wants to teach you a song, but if you show him the Ocarina, he says it can't possibly play the song loud enough to achieve its purpose and asks if you have something louder. That's why the "Who are you again?" when you pull out the pipes as a Deku is a faceplant moment.

Yeah, I'm not sure why Fae was advised against not talking to him as human Link. Fae you were on the right track!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I was so proud to see Fae nail the lily pad platforming quickly.

Also yeah, Wow. The torture. I forget, doesn't he actually die sometime on the third day?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

CuddlyZombie posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure why Fae was advised against not talking to him as human Link. Fae you were on the right track!

In my defense, I had no idea about that. I don't know why I never put 2 and 2 together there. :downs:

Drakenel posted:

Also yeah, Wow. The torture. I forget, doesn't he actually die sometime on the third day?

I don't think so? The torture is already pretty dark for a Zelda game, having the monkey die from 3 days of torture would be really hosed up.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't think so? The torture is already pretty dark for a Zelda game, having the monkey die from 3 days of torture would be really hosed up.

I must be mis-remembering then. Kind of surprising he doesn't though.

Now that I think about it, that'd be stupid. Considering that most first time players would be going into the dungeon and maybe finishing it late third day.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
So to steer away from discussion of potential monkey death, have one of SiIvaGunner's takes on Clock Town's music. :v: Polsy'd, just in case.

Be glad it isn't this one.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

Drakenel posted:

Yes, at the end. when the moon hits

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I've never skipped any of the snipers and I didn't even know that you could skip them.

Fae continues to impress with her ability to stumble across simple solutions to puzzles.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Chaltab posted:

I have to think there's some sort of memory weirdness going on with the Deku transformation, like Glory in Buffy or something.

Is everybody here very stoned?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

CuddlyZombie posted:

Yeah. :eng99:

And attacking the deku scrubs is also a really bad idea. ALL of them can be skipped and it's not really that close or hard to time at all. As long as you are moving or are hidden in a flower they can't hurt you! It's only when you stay still and try to kill them can they knock you down.

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 22, 2016

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
There's an interesting narrative reason why switching masks causes this "memory confusion" in other NPCs, but we haven't gone far enough into the game to really analyse it yet, so I'll hold back for now.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Hello I've been weirdly sick recently, here's a slightly late update

Episode 14 - I Hate This Couple

ChaosArgate couldn't make it to this session but don't worry, we replaced him with poorlywrittennovel!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
For the record, the reason we're not doing the dungeon is because I wasn't originally going to be here either and the only reason I made it at all was because she had to restart her computer right before they started.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Faerie Fortune posted:

Hello I've been weirdly sick recently, here's a slightly late update

Episode 14 - I Hate This Couple

ChaosArgate couldn't make it to this session but don't worry, we replaced him with poorlywrittennovel!

So, two tips for the next time you do the Honey and Darling Bombchu game, get as close to the edge as you can, and don't be afraid to spam Bombchus. You can send them off a lost faster than you think, and it's better to have more boom in motion than not.

Oh, and if you want to adjust position, run with rotation, not against. You are about as fast as the platform.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I hate Honey and Darling as characters simply because I hate people like that, but I'm with Fae. I really enjoyed the games.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008
The inverted song of time is exactly how you're supposed to solve the postman's minigame, actually. It does, in fact, slow the clock down so that you don't have to be frame perfect. Combined with the bunny hood it makes it trivial.

Edit: Wait, I looked it up and somehow I'm remembering something that isn't true? It was in literally every guide the last time I played this game and now none of them say it.

Sillyman fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 23, 2016

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Ryushikaze posted:

Oh, and if you want to adjust position, run with rotation, not against. You are about as fast as the platform.

Or run to the center of the platform, where the radius and thus the diameter is smaller, make your adjustment, and run back to the edge. You get used to doing it your preferred way. But you really do just need to whip out Bombchus at every opportunity and don't wait to see whether you hit the mark or not, because you'll miss the next one.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The postman game is frame perfect (ie.1/20th of a second in this case) in the original Japanese version, but it was relaxed a little for the later versions.

And yeah just spam those chus, it's funnier that way too.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I'm still sick I hate this so much. In this episode, I learn some important lessons about bombs

Episode 15 - High Explosives You Put On Your Face

Also if you just can't get enough of me talking over videogames, gnome and I just finished our LP of Arctic Alive which is a glorious tire fire of a game that everyone should experience.

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 26, 2016

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Faerie Fortune posted:

I'm still sick I hate this so much. In this episode, I learn some important lessons about bombs

Episode 15 - High Explosives You Put On Your Face

Also if you just can't get enough of me talking over videogames, gnome and I just finished our LP of Arctic Alive which is a glorious tire fire of a game that everyone should experience.

Explode button best button. :allears:

Also, glorious tire fire of a game is short-selling AA.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I like how the guard lets the thief run right past him and blocks the kid instead

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

I like how the guard lets the thief run right past him and blocks the kid instead

Look man, who gives a poo poo that an old lady got mugged, that kid could get hurt out in the wilderness!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
So SiIvaGunner ripped the Deku Palace music today. Twice.

I knew Fae would love that mask. :allears:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

This game was released when I was 6, so mostly I watched my big sister play it and I knew how to get about as far as the first temple on my own.

I definitely tried to start a branch of the Bombers at my elementary school. Had a notebook and everything. No-one took to it the way I did, because no-one was as huge a dork as me, even in Grade 1.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Oh man, I kinda forgot about the blast mask. It was always my opening volley in combat, and I preferred using it over actual bombs whenever I could. It's so goddamn rad.

Also I just realized that the etchings carved on the ground around Clock Town's walls kinda resemble a circular calendar. Four main zones inside the city for the seasons... Termina's equivalent of Chichén Itzá?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Mashing B does make you swim faster in OoT (I think there might even have been a gossip stone that tells you that) but this feature was for some reason removed in MM :saddowns:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

FELD1 posted:

Also I just realized that the etchings carved on the ground around Clock Town's walls kinda resemble a circular calendar.

I think it's actually supposed to be markings for the minutes. When the tower emits that light beam at night, the town would look like a clock viewed from above.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

tiistai posted:

Mashing B does make you swim faster in OoT (I think there might even have been a gossip stone that tells you that) but this feature was for some reason removed in MM :saddowns:

It might be that it was a bug to begin with in OoT, possibly to do with the code trying to reset your animation as you press the button.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

One thing I dislike about MM3D is that the blast mask no longer turns translucent when you use it, so you have to look for the button to activate again instead of seeing the mask gradually fill in again. I always thought that was a nice touch.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

It might be that it was a bug to begin with in OoT, possibly to do with the code trying to reset your animation as you press the button.

I can't imagine they would have made a gossip stone that described how to exploit a bug. I definitely remember reading about using B to swim faster within the game, which is how I learned it could be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Mordaedil posted:

Pretty sure it just speeds up the animation, not reset it prematurely. It would look much glitchier in that case.

OoT is an amazingly buggy game but they did a great job in making sure regular players wouldn't stumble upon anything. Except the good old bottle duping, maybe. Even assuming it is a bug, they released two other patches of the game but never fixed the swimming thing that they definitely knew about.