Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

LuiCypher posted:

I don't want to, but I am getting a little bit hyped for Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition. I will definitely be trying it on the show floor before I even contemplate buying it, since it's $100.

Mansions of Madness is definitely my favorite of that ilk of game, but XCom left a bad, bad taste in my mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Gencon prices are pretty dumb. You'd think you'd get a deal since they're cutting out the middle men but nope, full retail or higher. I mainly use it to demo stuff then place a big order at CSI later. I do enjoy hunting promos and deals though.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The CSI Dings and Dents and the consignment are good places to get deals but yeah, usually I just go to GenCon, see cool poo poo then order it online for $10-20 off what they're selling it for. I'll buy one or two things but its really dumb that they charge full price or more considering. Last year I picked up Tokaido cause my wife has been really wanting it, I went online the next day and saw it was literally $20 cheaper on Amazon, not even on a deal or anything.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
The only reason I ever buy anything at Gen con is because I want to play it at Gen con.

So someone buy Captain Sonar and then invite me to the game.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Ilor posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna #mute you fuckers in a bit. I think I still have unlimited texting, but no sense tempting fate until I can confirm it.

But then how are you gonna get the latest updates on how dozens of goons hate work and just want it to be gencon already??!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Bottom Liner posted:

Gencon prices are pretty dumb. You'd think you'd get a deal since they're cutting out the middle men but nope, full retail or higher. I mainly use it to demo stuff then place a big order at CSI later. I do enjoy hunting promos and deals though.

The one thing I typically like to buy at Gen Con are RPG rulebooks with the creators/writers selling them to you. I have no qualms about paying full MSRP to Chaosium or Arc Dream because I'd rather they have the money and I can get them to sign the book right there. That's worth the paying full market price on the show floor, in my opinion.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'll be swooping in to grab an early copy of SeaFall, preorders and signed copies and stuff you can only get at GenCon are a fair exception I think

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, anything like that is cool and good. FFG charging $100 for a game that will be $60 at CSI is firmly not cool.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Kaddish posted:

The only reason I ever buy anything at Gen con is because I want to play it at Gen con.

So someone buy Captain Sonar and then invite me to the game.

I think it's rio grande or someone who will just climb their booth and start shouting and sell poo poo at basically wholesale, those guys rock.

The only reason to buy a game at full retail from these companies though is to support them and basically provide them a "tip" since they're usually making sales at wholesale (50% of retail or so) prices.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, anything like that is cool and good. FFG charging $100 for a game that will be $60 at CSI is firmly not cool.

I don't understand why it would be an issue. If $100 is the normal price, why is it weird that they ask that much? Yeah, they're "removing the middle man" by selling direct at shows, but that doesn't account for the cost of simply BEING at the show. And not just the cost of having a booth, but the cost of multiple staff and/or volunteer hotel rooms for 3-7 nights, meals for everyone throughout, flights to get there, shipping product there, absurdly high drayage costs, etc. Attending Gen Con is insanely expensive, and I can tell you that most publishers (with very few exceptions I would imagine, if any) go into shows like Gen Con without any expectation of turning any substantial amount of profit. If they sell enough product (at MSRP) to cover the cost of being present it's a blessing. Anything above that is gravy, sure, but I guarantee that would never happen if they all adopted the "fewer bodies in the supply chain, let's mark everything down to just above cost!" model that works for online resellers. Several publishers offer coupons and various special deals, but expecting them to cut a huge margin off their prices just because an online retailer can just isn't seeing the whole picture.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Well, they could move more of those products if they were cheaper too. I think they're missing an opportunity to make a sell by keeping it at MSRP, because most people who buy these things know all they have to do is hit up Amazon or CSI when they get home.

Plus they're keeping games out of the hands of the people who go home and advertise for them for just a little longer, which is the main reason to be there advertise. They're missing an opportunity to do that every time someone walks by and says I'll wait till it's cheaper elsewhere.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 27, 2016

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

It sounds cruel but how expensive GenCon is for the guys selling their games and how that factors into their economics isn't really something I worry about. I'm just not going to buy a game for $20 more than I can get it anywhere else unless I have a really good reason (I love the designer, signed stuff, etc)

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I get that, that the bottom line is that many people will choose the cheaper option 10 times out of 10, because their budget or finances dictate it. My point is that it goes both ways; it's also the publisher's budget and finances which dictate the need to sell at full-or-close-to-it prices. Sure, you could argue that with more units moved at a lower cost you have a longer term potential ROI through hypothetical exposure and word of mouth paying off over time, but that's a lot of variables to effectively gamble on, which also doesn't solve the cash flow issue of paying for convention costs right now. When a small company has to put down $5-10k+ on a booth, I'd be pretty uncomfortable with the idea of hoping that more sales over time come through to balance that out because I offered a discount at the show.

e: Additionally, I can't imagine the difference in the hypothetical word of mouth marketing/exposure would be that different, if everyone is agreeing that people not buying at the show are just going to buy online instead. That sounds like the publisher will end up with the same effective install base for their games, but only one path getting there involves their budget being decimated.

Merauder fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 27, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

We're talking about the multi million dollar companies (FFG and the rest of the Asmodee umbrella stuff), not small indie dudes.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I mean sure, they're on a different scale than most, but I can't claim to know their events budget, and with the ridiculous square footage they occupy on that show floor, I can't imagine how much they must be paying. So my guess is that the scaling up for them is likely not that different from the "small indie dudes" (which isn't really clearly definable anyway; who should be allowed to sell at full price by that definition?). I've worked for multiple publishers in the industry who are far smaller than FFG/ANA, but who no one would call "small indie" companies, and if sales were cut down by 30-40% to match online pricing, my guess is they simply would stop paying to attend the show. And when sponsors and vendors start dropping out, the whole show loses its budget, and it all spirals from there.

Again, I get why people will choose to buy online, completely. I just think it's worth defending MSRP pricing at all levels and isn't an "uncool practice" or what have you.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
What blows my mind isn't that they charge MSRP but the sheer number of people that pay it at a show.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

That makes sense to me, people get excited at cons, they want it there and then, or they specifically allocate X dollars for the show and it's not as important. I know I do the latter sometimes.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I do the latter too. Plus if you travel with your gaming group it's cool to bust something new out and playing it in the evening.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
There's also questions of how quickly you'll be able to get it if you don't pick it up at GenCon (e.g. Codenames).

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
It makes sense for some things, especially if its a really early release or something. I guess what confuses me is a combo of paying retail and waiting in line for hours to get it, so I am mostly baffled at the fantasy flight line. I totally get wanting to play something with your group while at the con.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I've never waited in a long line at Gencon, silly to me too.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Texibus posted:

Well, they could move more of those products if they were cheaper too. I think they're missing an opportunity to make a sell by keeping it at MSRP, because most people who buy these things know all they have to do is hit up Amazon or CSI when they get home.

Plus they're keeping games out of the hands of the people who go home and advertise for them for just a little longer, which is the main reason to be there advertise. They're missing an opportunity to do that every time someone walks by and says I'll wait till it's cheaper elsewhere.

This always gets brought up when someone is selling something at a certain price - the notion that you can sell more at a cheaper price.

There's a market that will buy at price X, and a market that will buy at X-Y, and a market that will buy at X-Y-Z.

If you price at Z from the get-go, you miss out on a lot of revenue.

This is why tons of media launches at one price, then gets cut down, then gets cut down again, before whatever remaining copies in the wild get bargain-binned. This is the most effective way to capture the most revenue by not selling the X market the item at the X-Y price.

While I'm sure Joe's First Gaming Booth hasn't done the business projections here, most other companies likely have, and they've realized that selling 40% fewer inventory at 100% more than they usually get from wholesaling to CSI is still a net bonus, while not injuring the perception of value at the MSRP, and allowing them to own the booth at GenCon and advertise their game, even to the people who aren't buying and will instead go home and buy it on CSI/Amazon/etc.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Plus, assholes like me will stand in line for an hour at FFG to get stuff 2 months earlier at full MSRP.

They sell out of most of their new stuff on day 1.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Definitely their card games. I remember seeing the pictures when Netrunner released when all the sets were gone the very first day (and probably within the first three hours).

That's why I'm not going to go for SeaFall this year. There will be terrible lines, it will sell out on the first day, and we have no idea if it's going to be any good. It'll be like Dead of Winter all over again.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Ok, this is pretty cute.

from the Gen Con reddit.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I agree, very cool.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Deodorant is WAY too far down on the checklist...

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

That's cute as hell, I'm printing one for everyone in my group

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Carteret posted:

Plus, assholes like me will stand in line for an hour at FFG to get stuff 2 months earlier at full MSRP.

They sell out of most of their new stuff on day 1.

I'll be in the line as well. I wanna get my hands on lotr,agot,and possibly that new Cthulu co op.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

frgildan posted:

I'll be in the line as well. I wanna get my hands on lotr,agot,and possibly that new Cthulu co op.

I'm pretty sure I've seen this exact same post every single year

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
The line is my home. Used to go for all the Privateer Press stuff before it sold out, this year going after Mansions of Madness 2ed. Hopefully it facilitates setup a little bit better, as half the reason I didn't get to play the 1st edition much was because it took so long! Alternatively, I may just be impatient.
Anybody else helping me haul stuff around for TD mon-wed?

Seldon
Dec 21, 2008
I'm a little jealous of all you guys getting to enjoy GenCon.

Meanwhile, I'll be trapped in Saganaw running some 40 hours of Pathfinder Society over 4 days. But hey, it's all on Paizo's dime so :homebrew:

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Seldon posted:

Meanwhile, I'll be trapped in Saganaw

That's punishment enough.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Seldon posted:

...running some 40 hours of Pathfinder Society over 4 days.

That's punishment enough.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen this exact same post every single year

It's my first year. Good to know I'm continuing a proud tradition?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

frgildan posted:

It's my first year. Good to know I'm continuing a proud tradition?

Its not a bad thing! It's just every year FFG releases some Game of Thrones, LOTR stuff that people line up for.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Its not a bad thing! It's just every year FFG releases some Game of Thrones, LOTR stuff that people line up for.

Yeah. I like the stuff FFG releases but screw the line to get it when it'll be at my flgs in a couple of months.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
And i can fill that wait with a backlog of games for at least year.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Hi casual gamer first time Gen Con person here wondering what is the environment for boozing/parties?

My brother is part of a gamer group where most folks go every year, he went a few years ago, and it's my first time. It's also somewhat his bachelor party.

The only other Con I've been to was a small one in the dead of winter focused on tournies and open gaming. The convention couldn't care less about open containers so my brother and I spent a day drinking PBR with some other folks and playing short games and walking around. The rest of the guys are older and were pretty clean, expect the same for Gencon.

Id like to at least do a night of something edgier, but I'm not really getting a read on the atmosphere. It looks like you can't have alcohol in the convention? But maybe there isn't even that much open gaming it's more walking around and demos, so typically things you don't want to be half in the bag for?

I tried to read Reddit and boardgamegeek guides but I feel like they skewed to ah, different crowd. If not day drinking in the convention, are there any fun parties or other night events/bars/clubs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Crazyweasel posted:

Hi casual gamer first time Gen Con person here wondering what is the environment for boozing/parties?

My brother is part of a gamer group where most folks go every year, he went a few years ago, and it's my first time. It's also somewhat his bachelor party.

The only other Con I've been to was a small one in the dead of winter focused on tournies and open gaming. The convention couldn't care less about open containers so my brother and I spent a day drinking PBR with some other folks and playing short games and walking around. The rest of the guys are older and were pretty clean, expect the same for Gencon.

Id like to at least do a night of something edgier, but I'm not really getting a read on the atmosphere. It looks like you can't have alcohol in the convention? But maybe there isn't even that much open gaming it's more walking around and demos, so typically things you don't want to be half in the bag for?

I tried to read Reddit and boardgamegeek guides but I feel like they skewed to ah, different crowd. If not day drinking in the convention, are there any fun parties or other night events/bars/clubs?

First step is get in the GroupMe for gencon. Second step is hook up with myself and various cohorts for night gaming. If we aren't at a bar I'll have a cooler/buckets of beer somewhere like a hotel (JW Marriott)

Done.

• Locked thread