Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In regular continuity Superman used to, and may still, be able to fly through the sun for a temporary power boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Travis343 posted:

Usually he's just extremely strong and more invulnerable the older he gets. But in all star he was too close to the sun and his cells couldn't take it, and he got sun poisoning. So I think it depends on how much exposure in a short time vs. his entire life.

In DC One Million, didn't he live inside the sun?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

prefect posted:

In DC One Million, didn't he live inside the sun?

Yeah, after flying into it at the end of All Star, despite all star not being written until years later.

All of Morrison's superman stories are connected.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I thought the part where he's in Bizarro world away from the yellow sun and in direct contact with a red one was their way out of him dying, in that his cells were burning off all the excess yellow radiation just trying to keep him super.
Glad they stuck to their guns.

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!
I am so annoyed by people saying "Oh look at Harley Quinn she is super cool and sexy and dark now!" Since when are strippers dark and mysterious? People who have never read a book with HQ in it are saying how she is much cooler now and it's seriously the most frustrating thing. And it's not even guys that i'm mostly hearing, It's women! Why they want a hooker running around calling herself Harley Quinn I'll never know.

Kind of a ragey post but goddamnit I used to really like the character and she is so bad now. At this rate within years she will fight crime entirely naked save for a pasty on each tit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Seems like you're really hung up on appearances. "Cool" and "dark" have nothing to do with what someone's wearing. She's not a real person so she isn't choosing her outfit for herself obviously, but it seems like they're talking about characterization while you're stuck on look.

If it helps, she was bad before, but just in a way that appealed to you.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 27, 2016

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I would totally forgive that Harley design if halfway through the movie she looks down and sees her feet are beaten to hell from those ridiculous heels.

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

Aphrodite posted:

Seems like you're really hung up on appearances. "Cool" and "dark" have nothing to do with what someone's wearing. She's not a real person so she isn't choosing her outfit for herself obviously, but it seems like they're talking about characterization while you're stuck on look.

If it helps, she was bad before, but just in a way that appealed to you.

I'm not the most eloquent person but she was specifically talking about her costume. Saying that's what made her darker and cooler.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well that's just crazy then. The only clothes that makes you dark and mysterious is a black mask.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Hot pants are the most mysterious of pants.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Well now I just want a Project Harley so all the dark and mysterious superheroes like Batman, Moon Knight, The Shadow, and Phantom Stranger get hot pants and a belly shirt to really accentuate that quality.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Love Harley's movie look to death, but I don't get how that gets across any concepts like that. Even her personality isn't really dark or mysterious, or at least not dramatically more so than before.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm primarily confused by them not having Harley in red and black. Seems like step one. Literally iconic.

But generic baseball girl? I don't even know.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

Love Harley's movie look to death

:chloe:

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

SirDan3k posted:

I know, right? They are clearly shorts.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Harley's Suicide Squad look is so much better than the Arkham games/Injustice costumes that have been the norm for her in recent years.

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!
Personally I didn't see antthing wrong with the old look but even if it had to be changed why change it into THAT? ANd as was just posted the theme isn't even Red/Black anymore. It's like they just made a new character and called it Harley

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TokenTrevor posted:

Personally I didn't see antthing wrong with the old look but even if it had to be changed why change it into THAT? ANd as was just posted the theme isn't even Red/Black anymore. It's like they just made a new character and called it Harley

TBF that seems to be the case for most of the characters.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
This goes back to my theory, that Zack Snyder sucks real bad.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
She started using red/blue in her original N52 look. Her movie look was probably developed out of that.

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

Endless Mike posted:

TBF that seems to be the case for most of the characters.

The thing is, you're not even wrong. just THIS one seems to bother me the most because it's the only one I'm seeing people I know personally say it makes her cooler or more unique. Like I don't expect a 1:1 comic to movie costume but hell keep the THEME at least.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The theme of the movie is "real bad" so I think they're on track really.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WickedHate posted:

She started using red/blue in her original N52 look. Her movie look was probably developed out of that.

Pfft, facts.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

TokenTrevor posted:

The thing is, you're not even wrong. just THIS one seems to bother me the most because it's the only one I'm seeing people I know personally say it makes her cooler or more unique. Like I don't expect a 1:1 comic to movie costume but hell keep the THEME at least.

Her theme is "joker groupie" and the movie one fits it well, especially with the Joker being a trash cokefiend in it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah the Joker costume looks incredibly bad too so it fits.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah the Joker costume looks incredibly bad too so it fits.

DAMAGED

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

That's honestly what bugs me the most about the Suicide Squad designs. Everyone has descriptive text all over them, it's like they had a casting call inside a political cartoon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You're all going to look silly when the villain is revealed as the Tattooist Man.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

SirDan3k posted:

For indeed, we ask ourselves the age old question, who likes short shorts?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

We, in point of fact, like short shorts

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

VagueRant posted:

I'm primarily confused by them not having Harley in red and black. Seems like step one. Literally iconic.

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

But but but...It even looks decent! They made the costume and then specifically didn't use it? :psyduck:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Man, that really twigs my jimmies. That... That really grills my salmon. I'm having difficulty even assembling an aphorism for this one.

That really... stomps my high-tops? I'm displeased, basically.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'll be the one to say that the classic Harley costume does not look good on real human beings. Some costumes need to stay two dimensional.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TokenTrevor posted:

But but but...It even looks decent! They made the costume and then specifically didn't use it? :psyduck:

You aren't seeing it on a person and in motion. It probably looks like butts that way. Also, it wouldn't fit at all with the aesthetic of the movie or the group.

And this is coming from someone who grew up on B:TAS.

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

Die Laughing posted:

I'll be the one to say that the classic Harley costume does not look good on real human beings. Some costumes need to stay two dimensional.

Have we ever seen it on a real human being outside cosplay? I don't see anything particularly wrong with the one posted above other than the idea of doing acrobatics in high heels.

Toshimo posted:

You aren't seeing it on a person and in motion. It probably looks like butts that way. Also, it wouldn't fit at all with the aesthetic of the movie or the group.

And this is coming from someone who grew up on B:TAS.

But how would we even know if it looks goofy or not without ever getting to see it? I agree with your second point in that the movie's aesthetic is garbage tho.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

TokenTrevor posted:

Have we ever seen it on a real human being outside cosplay? I don't see anything particularly wrong with the one posted above other than the idea of doing acrobatics in high heels.

But how would we even know if it looks goofy or not without ever getting to see it? I agree with your second point in that the movie's aesthetic is garbage tho.

The only person lamé ever looked good on is Elvis and even that's up for debate.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Die Laughing posted:

Yeah, it looked fine in the cartoon series but it would have been really awkward with the visual style they've already been using. Also it would look ridiculous and not in a good way.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I hate harley in general and think she's a terrible and at best pitiable character.

I don't like Suicide Squad at all, but I GUESS one thing I can give it that most interpretations do not do is Harley and Joker in that movie are dressed just as shittily as each other - instead of Joker getting a suit while Harley has an outlandish goth costume or skintight number they're both in rags and tattoos and both look just as hot topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

You've got a point.

I also hate when movies do that-- change up classic looks then hide/reference them in the background. "What would you prefer, yellow spandex?" and all that. Like at least with Captain America they gave an in-universe explanation where his classic-looking WWII costume was deliberately terrible before putting him in a better overall look. The fact that Joss Whedon decided to undo that and put him back in ridiculous pajamas for the Avengers is a fact I'm choosing to ignore.

• Locked thread