Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Violet_Sky posted:

If I have a 2.0GB data plan how much data will I use if I play Pokemon GO everyday?

It's not too bad, I got a new phone about a fortnight ago, and I've had the game on virtually all the time while I've been awake, and I'm on like 330mb used.

It's really not very greedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Violet_Sky posted:

If I have a 2.0GB data plan how much data will I use if I play Pokemon GO everyday?

I play some amount everyday and i've only used 177 MB of data this month. That's only what is listed for Pokemon Go though so im not sure if the GPS is a bigger data hog.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Violet_Sky posted:

It's worth it to ask your mom to up your data allowance imo

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

endlessmonotony posted:

Well clearly literacy isn't your strong suit.

And while I doubt explaining it makes things any better, here's what actually happened: The kind of access token Niantic got from Google would have granted them access to the entire account without any action from the player; but they never requested the actual access. It's basically the difference between your landlord having an emergency key to your apartment and waking up at 2am to your landlord watching you sleep.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Violet_Sky posted:

Additional anecdotal evidence: I've got the same plan and didn't even hit half of it in my last cycle. Maybe a 400MB bump at most, and I'm level 23 so I've been playing plenty.

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

Violet_Sky posted:

I already used 1 whole Gigabyte since launch

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

DreamShipWrecked posted:

They haven't even banned the incredibly blatant streamers yet, they will probably start working through bans once the servers stop being on fire

Yeah but is there any actual evidence that they're going to do this? So far all I've heard about is gimping GPS cheaters for 2 hours where they can't catch anything, but can still play.

My question boils down to: where are people getting the assumption that Niantic will be banning players?

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
loving servers again. I can't log in and I've got 7 gyms to cash in on!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The most I've used on a single day was just below 60 MB and that must have been at least 3.5 hours of the app running without wi-fi. I think using Pokevision added some MBs to that total tho, so it would be even less if I just had Pokemon Go open.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Interesting spawn in NYC:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

RFC2324 posted:

They claim to have never used it.

quote:

Google has verified that no other information has been received or accessed by Pokémon GO or Niantic. Google will soon reduce Pokémon GO’s permission to only the basic profile data that Pokémon GO needs, and users do not need to take any actions themselves.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Yeah but is there any actual evidence that they're going to do this? So far all I've heard about is gimping GPS cheaters for 2 hours where they can't catch anything, but can still play.

My question boils down to: where are people getting the assumption that Niantic will be banning players?

I don't have a source but I heard murmurs that they are planning a ban wave a month or so from now. But aside from idle rumors, they did it in Ingress so they will probably do it for this

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

RFC2324 posted:

We have 0 zubats in Dallas, as far as I can tell, so your theory is flawed. Shitloads of eevees in my part of town tho.

We rarely get Zubat here too. It was just a theoretical example. :shrug:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

endlessmonotony posted:

And while I doubt explaining it makes things any better, here's what actually happened: The kind of access token Niantic got from Google would have granted them access to the entire account without any action from the player; but they never requested the actual access. It's basically the difference between your landlord having an emergency key to your apartment and waking up at 2am to your landlord watching you sleep.

This is exactly what I said. They had ACCESS, but claim to have never used it. I hadn't seen google confirm that they hadn't, tho, thats gotta be comforting to people with iPhones.

While its not a big deal(Niantec is an alphabet company, so its not like they can't get the data anyway) its something that people should know, and not something that should be denied.

Unrelated: That pokenotify app for android only looks like it has 10 downloads or so on the play store. Is that the one that people are referring to?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Hrist posted:

We rarely get Zubat here too. It was just a theoretical example. :shrug:

There are more Zubats in Portland than people.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Violet_Sky posted:

About 10MB per hour of use on my end.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

RFC2324 posted:

This is exactly what I said. They had ACCESS, but claim to have never used it. I hadn't seen google confirm that they hadn't, tho, thats gotta be comforting to people with iPhones.

While its not a big deal(Niantec is an alphabet company, so its not like they can't get the data anyway) its something that people should know, and not something that should be denied.

They didn't have the access, but they had the ability to gain it if they wanted to. The app would have needed to make a call to an undocumented API to exchange the access token it had for the uberauth token. That never happened.

https://gist.github.com/arirubinstein/fd5453537436a8757266f908c3e41538

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I have no clue what level I was when I caught any of my Pokemon, so the IV calculator is useless to me, right?

From playing around on silph road this is how I THINK it works.
Regardless of your trainer level, you can get a pokemon with good IVs or poo poo IVs. Or even perfect IVs.
The reason pokemon have such wimpy CP when you are lower trainer level is because the pokemon you catch cannot be a higher level than your trainer level. So if you're trainer level 10 or less you'll see lovely pidgeys with 100 or less CP. But as your trainer level goes up, so does the potential level of the pokemon you can catch. So you'll start to see higher CP pokes as your trainer level goes up, but your trainer level has no influence on the IVs. Also, as your trainer level increases, the max level of the pokes you already caught also increases. So just because your first poke was a lovely 14 CP bulbasaur doesn't mean its a poo poo poke - but it could be.
Also, the lower level pokes will require a lot more stardust to boost up than the higher level ones you catch at higher trainer levels, so how much you value stardust is also in consideration.
Lastly the move set is important too. The move set is randomized when you evolve, so you want to evolve before powering up, just in case you get a poo poo move set. Then you abort.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Violet_Sky posted:

About 15mb.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

RFC2324 posted:

I hadn't seen google confirm that they hadn't, tho, thats gotta be comforting to people with iPhones.

Dude doesn't even read his own posts lol.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Astro7x posted:

Chicago here. I guess that's along a coast, kind of...

If all my Drowzee were Magikarp I'd have like 4 Gyarados by now.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I feel sorry for people stuck in areas with huge Drowzee spawns. 50 candy per evolve is painful.

Meanwhile...

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

RFC2324 posted:

Unrelated: That pokenotify app for android only looks like it has 10 downloads or so on the play store. Is that the one that people are referring to?

And now you've, beyond any shadow of a doubt, proven that you don't read other people's posts, your own posts, or the articles you link. And you're still wrong.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm pretty sure literally everyone lives in an area where pidgeys and ratatta spawn abundantly. Those things are universal.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Elysium posted:

Pokevision does show everything that was scanned. You have to realize that not every area was scanned though. When you personally pick an area to scan, it scans a pretty small area and shows you everything in it. When you see other areas with pokemon or click around and see them pop up, it's showing you areas other people scanned. If some area wasn't scanned nothing will show up there until you scan it ...or at least that's how I assume it works.

It doesn't show what other people scanned. It uses the lat/long of the spot you're trying to search, you can see this in the address bar when you search a location.

From the main page

quote:

What is Pokevision?

Pokevision is a Pokemon tracker/locator for the mobile game Pokemon Go. It uses the Niantic API to grab the location of all Pokemon near your (or your selected location) and display them on the map in real-time; this means if it is displayed on the map, you can go out and catch them!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

They have no souls.

Schmoofy?

Dahbadu posted:

This is a really good question. I signed up for a trainer account because I didn't like the idea of Niantic reading my gmail. But I live a pretty boring life, and I'd rather not have login issues.

Anyone know the answer to this?

Have you ever accessed the internet? Then Google already knows everything about you.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Kirios posted:

There are more Zubats in Portland than people.

Can confirm this. In my neck of the woods (Multnomah Village) there's a crap-ton of Paras, Psyducks, Magikarps, Venonats, and - most excellently - Eevees as well. I've now got an armada of 4 solid Vaporeons over CP 1500 and can pretty much control whatever I want now.

Also hooray for the apparently personalized server problems I was having clearing up after half an hour or so. However, when I went to claim my reward, I tapped the "7" shield icon and it said "6 pokemon stationed in gyms, reward: 60 coins, 3000 stardust". I double checked the list and even restarted the app and I definitely still have 7 defending pokemon, not 6. What gives?

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

chemosh6969 posted:

It doesn't show what other people scanned. It uses the lat/long of the spot you're trying to search, you can see this in the address bar when you search a location.

It must show some sort of buffer of recent scans by other users though, as Elysium seems to be suggesting. When I scan my neighborhood I get like a 3-block radius of results and I'll zoom out and pan around and see nothing, nothing, nothing, BANG - a pocket of other pokemon somwhere in the suburbs... nothing, nothing, BOOM - there's downtown and it's showing literally hundreds of pokemon spawn timers.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

RFC2324 posted:

No: https://m.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4ut9lu/pokenotify_taken_down_from_google_play_app_store/

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Violet_Sky posted:

Pokemon Go uses about 25-30MB of data in 8 hours, so it really doesn't matter much for a small data cap. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc use much more than Pokemon Go does.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Xaerael posted:

I literally did 17km today doing laps of the biggest park in my city because:

Stocking up items for an event this weekend (maxed out a 1k inventory!)
Egg hatching marathon (thanks for the second almost perfect Pidgey which evolved with the right moves this time!)
The park is loving teeming with Dratinis, and has a Machop that respawns almost every hour at one end

I really need new trainers though, my cross country ones are worn loving smooth after a combination of this, and previously Ingress.

Egg hatching is so key to this game. I'm constantly having 9 eggs on incubators. I know you have to spend a little money to do it, but it really gives healthy motivation.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Evil Fluffy posted:

The answer is to make a gmail account you use just for mobile gaming and other garbage. Same with Facebook accounts.

That's probably a good idea. I did contact Niantic through their support portal and requested a change. I'm just gonna use my real Google account for convenience. Let's see what happens.

For those that signed up with their real/primary Google account, here's a walkthrough that may give you a bit more privacy: http://www.ign.com/wikis/pokemon-go/How_to_Remove_Full_Access_to_Google_Account

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

My Google account is a cutout with no GMail or Google+ anyway. Why would you willingly give Google your data?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Squeegy posted:

My Google account is a cutout with no GMail or Google+ anyway. Why would you willingly give Google your data?
lol

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Squeegy posted:

They provide you with tons of free services?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Squeegy posted:

Let me guess, you use duckduckgo?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Astro7x posted:

They provide you with tons of free services?

:airquote: free :airquote:

anyway it turns out that they provide you those services even if you don't provide them your name, address, social security number and brand of hemorrhoid cream

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Squeegy posted:

:airquote: free :airquote:

anyway it turns out that they provide you those services even if you don't provide them your name, address, social security number and brand of hemorrhoid cream
lol

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

This PokemonGoMap application is really great. Hoping the mobile piece works right so I can get some of the mons I've been missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

There was a Pinsir in my village. I caught it.

Smart money says for me to pump it up...?

Edit: It knows Rock Smash and Submission. :wtc:

• Locked thread