Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
If it really does become the end of Yakuza with his story wrapping up, and no lady yakuza follows with a character-building cutscene ripped straight out of a certain 70's yakuza flick that had a lengthy bloody naked swordfight from bathtub to snowfield, what kind of spinoffs can they fill the void with? Chinese gangster 1920s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it detracts from the masculinity if women are allowed to do more than provide motivations for men. woman throwing a punch? instant castration for the entire male cast.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

If it really does become the end of Yakuza with his story wrapping up, and no lady yakuza follows with a character-building cutscene ripped straight out of a certain 70's yakuza flick that had a lengthy bloody naked swordfight from bathtub to snowfield, what kind of spinoffs can they fill the void with? Chinese gangster 1920s?

Focus on the successors. Ukyo Tatsuya is one of them.

Also, what would the subheader of Yakuza 1, 2 and 3 be? Ever sonce 4 there was something that relates to the theme and plot of the story. With Successor of the Legend, Fulfiller of Dreams, The Place of the Oath and Poem of Life respective for each successive game.

mikeycp posted:

That's not really what chuuni means either.

Most of the trashy games looked like something out of a middle school students fanfic fantasies with harems, whimsical super power and influences from reading one LN too many.

Yakuza is one of the few Japanese games that still treats the male audience like actual adults. Most JRPGs dont do that.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I don't think the PSP-exclusive kid will get that shot, I mean Sega seemingly hasn't used him in ages. Was he in 5, Zero, or hinted at in 6 so far?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

I don't think the PSP-exclusive kid will get that shot, I mean Sega seemingly hasn't used him in ages. Was he in 5, Zero, or hinted at in 6 so far?
No, there has been absolutely no sign of him in any game other than his series as far as I know.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

gyrobot posted:

Most of the trashy games looked like something out of a middle school students fanfic fantasies with harems, whimsical super power and influences from reading one LN too many.

Yakuza is one of the few Japanese games that still treats the male audience like actual adults. Most JRPGs dont do that.

Yakuza has the same poo poo, my dude. "And then Osaka castle split open and a golden version rose up out of the ground and then I fought some tigers," and "there were like a million guys and I was fighting all of them and one fired a bazooka at me but I just sidestepped it because I'm the strongest" are right the gently caress out of a chuuni's diary.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Guys, I don't think this particular one is going to listen to, well, any argument.

:stare:

But really this is the correct answer to all of this.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The only thing we should care about right now is that some motherFUCKER hit Haruka with a car

And I will not stand for it.:colbert:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

gyrobot posted:

This series is as a power fantasy aimed at manchildren. I'm not saying they're bad, but let's not kid ourselves here.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it hearkens back to a time when men were men, women were women plot devices, and an escaped convict got into fistfights with two different bears.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm ok with Yakuza's social backwardness (with the interesting exception of its attitude towards Koreans) because it's completely true to the source material: actual yakuza do indeed live in a ridiculous male fantasy world.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Serious Frolicking posted:

it hearkens back to a time when men were men, women were women plot devices, and an escaped convict got into fistfights with two different bears.

Slamming back a six-pack in front of the convenience store clerk after every street fight in which the power of my fists made my opponents give me money, which is how I afford the six-packs, is totally realistic.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
But the first one is the only one whose plot is maybe grounded in the reality the social backwardness is from.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm ok with Yakuza's social backwardness (with the interesting exception of its attitude towards Koreans) because it's completely true to the source material: actual yakuza do indeed live in a ridiculous male fantasy world.

actual yakuza are extortionists, drug dealers and pimps. gently caress those guys.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

actual yakuza are extortionists, drug dealers and pimps. gently caress those guys.
Yeah. Their poo poo belongs in fiction and not real life, and hopefully someday that's the only place it will be.

Edit: by the way, who else has watched Battle without Honor (dunno if that is the official translation of 仁義なき戦い or if there is one) movies? They're all on Amazon Prime here in Japan so I watched a few and drat if they aren't just nonstop manly men running around and loving each other up over stupid petty poo poo, and in thick Hiroshima accents I can barely understand. I wonder if 6 will take inspiration from that and be the messiest game yet?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 27, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh poo poo, a physical release? Apparently it's being listed as coming out on 1/24/17 too. :toot:

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Yeah I saw the announcement on the facebook, so close and yet so far away.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Yakuza 5 is a PS+ IGC title for September. Worth buying separately anyway dangit.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Oh poo poo, a physical release? Apparently it's being listed as coming out on 1/24/17 too. :toot:

http://play.st/2awZHLz

PS Blog article about it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

"Secondly, and this is sometimes controversial, but hear me out — we’re maintaining general-use honorifics in the English script."

This is unfortunate.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

mikeycp posted:

"Secondly, and this is sometimes controversial, but hear me out — we’re maintaining general-use honorifics in the English script."

This is unfortunate.

Maybe it'll actually say "Kiryu" on the screen when a character says Kiryu out loud now.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I did notice that it's back to Nishikiyama, rather than just Nishiki, so there's that at least.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

No plans for translating Isshin or Kenzan

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I'm not surprised about those 2, but what about Kiwami?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

"it would require a high-level knowledge of Japanese shogunate history to understand the story"

I don't believe for a second that this is true. That's like saying that you need to be an expert on Colonial America to understand Assassin's Creed 3.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sanders, I remember you talking a bunch a long time ago about KENZAN! and what a clusterfuck it would be to translate. I think that was you at least, but if you know would you care to elaborate?

Anyway it seems really obvious that Sony doesn't want to pay for like an 8 year old PS3 game or the weird bad ISHIN that people seem to really dislike in Japan.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

mikeycp posted:

"it would require a high-level knowledge of Japanese shogunate history to understand the story"

I don't believe for a second that this is true. That's like saying that you need to be an expert on Colonial America to understand Assassin's Creed 3.

I guess, but Yakuza's a series that hasn't sold well in the west even when it wasn't dealing with the Shogunate. I'd probably be wary of spending the time and money on localizing a niche game of an already niche series.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Ishin doesn't need jack to understand the story, but it helps to appreciate, understand and get into the setting. Does have its faults as a game but it is fine, just a risky investment even before a localization studio is hired.

Ishin brought us two tall buff dudes bathhouse fighting in the goddamn nude complete with QTEs that would make the ESRB and Australian ratings board blush and demand changes after all. (and then there's the lady you drink with, then do strip rock paper scissors, then the shmup section.. but the songs at the singing bar and the fan dance! poo poo's great! People are missing out on the good of it! Man..)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 27, 2016

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

mikeycp posted:

Yakuza has the same poo poo, my dude. "And then Osaka castle split open and a golden version rose up out of the ground and then I fought some tigers," and "there were like a million guys and I was fighting all of them and one fired a bazooka at me but I just sidestepped it because I'm the strongest" are right the gently caress out of a chuuni's diary.

You could seperate the over the top antics to Yakuza and it will still have a good story. You do the same with whatever crap coming outta CH's anus and it is like a vital organ being severed at the veins.

That is the drat difference between Yakuza and the niche crap from Japans library.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

SpacePig posted:

I guess, but Yakuza's a series that hasn't sold well in the west even when it wasn't dealing with the Shogunate. I'd probably be wary of spending the time and money on localizing a niche game of an already niche series.

Yeah. I mean, I get why you wouldn't do those ones, but the history excuse seems like a kinda lazy one when there are more solid reasons you could use.

gyrobot posted:

You do the same with whatever crap coming outta CH's anus and it is like a vital organ being severed at the veins.

Is this English? These words don't mean anything next to each other.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dude thinks that the yakuza series has a serious and mature story. his brain obviously doesn't work so well.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Rubber bullets.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
You can have a yaluza game without the over the top stuff and it will stand on its own just fine. Neptunia without the over the top stuff does not stand on its own.

dude thinks that the yakuza series has a serious and mature story. his brain obviously doesn't work so well.

Honestly it has much better writing than a late night anime LN adaptation

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
are you verranicus? no one else mentioned neptunia.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

nobody mentioned light novels either, but don't think that'll stop him from trying to prove...something

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not Operator posted:

Rubber bullets.

Like for real, this might literally be the nadir of storytelling.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Not Operator posted:

Rubber bullets.

I haven't finished Y4 yet, but the mention of rubber bullets is giving me some very very bad vibes about where the story is heading.

VVV No worries.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 27, 2016

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

I didn't even think to spoiler tag in this thread. My genuine apologies.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
Rubber bullets really isnt a bad idea give how everything was set up.

Not to mention making sure Majima doesnt make it to the place to make sure the fuckers are actually dead. Even just stabbing them would do the job. Saejima doesnt think about doing a shred of legwork. Even something as smart as unloading the bullets or testing it at the watermelon would let the two know if the bullets are real and not used as a ploy by Katsuragi to get power at the expense of his men.

That way they can later find the cop and bring him in to Sasai to personally teach how Yakuza dealt with incompetent pigs. Or if they realized Katsuragi has a real gun from Majima noticing actual blood from Saejima and Kill suiguchi as he comes in.

You got to hand it the Tojo Tiger. Man is as dedicated and blindly loyal as they come

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 27, 2016

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Renoistic posted:

I haven't finished Y4 yet, but the mention of rubber bullets is giving me some very very bad vibes about where the story is heading.

Be prepared to pretend some stuff happened in a different way so that certain characters don't suddenly become loving idiots.

Yakuza is a good and fun game but let's not pretend for a second that it's some masterpiece of grand storytelling. Yakuza's writing is best in character moments and relationships, rather than the big crime opera machinations. Majima and Saejima at the batting cages is a great sequence because it sells you on their brotherhood and stuff much more than any narrative revelations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

gyrobot posted:

You got to hand it the Tojo Tiger. Man is as dedicated and blindly loyal as they come

It's almost like its his tragic flaw or something. I still think rubber bullets is dumb on a character level as a reveal, but your take actually makes it somewhat better.

• Locked thread