Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Slavery! Was it really a big deal? Well as a white person...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

/\/\/\ As a white person, yes it was! I have to pay mexicans to pick my cotton now! (fyi, THIS is sarcasm)

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I know you're being sarcastic but gently caress off

I think you are missing the point here. This isn't sarcasm. He is pointing out how stupid it is to compare 'black' to 'fat'.

Replace 'black' with 'fat', and the statement becomes good and true.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

I think you are missing the point here. This isn't sarcasm. He is pointing out how stupid it is to compare 'black' to 'fat'.

Even though I made the initial joke, and while the two aren't really comparable, recent research does suggest that people are kinda hosed if they were unfortunate enough to be raised fat as a child. For example, a fat person who wants to decrease their weight to, say, 160lb, would have to eat less to maintain that weight than someone who was 160lb from the beginning. Our bodies inherently strongly resist long-term weight loss. It's still obviously possible, but people who have been fat throughout their upbringing are facing a huge uphill battle. Makes me really grateful for having parents who gave me a healthy upbringing.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ytlaya posted:

Even though I made the initial joke, and while the two aren't really comparable, recent research does suggest that people are kinda hosed if they were unfortunate enough to be raised fat as a child. For example, a fat person who wants to decrease their weight to, say, 160lb, would have to eat less to maintain that weight than someone who was 160lb from the beginning. Our bodies inherently strongly resist long-term weight loss. It's still obviously possible, but people who have been fat throughout their upbringing are facing a huge uphill battle. Makes me really grateful for having parents who gave me a healthy upbringing.

Genetics and other health issues can play into it. But the fact is that, barring a few serious health issues(which you should get taken care of) you can work hard and lose the weight, and get to a much better place. Yes, it does take work, and it takes some people WAY more work than others, but it doesn't change the simple fact that it can be fixed.

I was gonna say that fat is the only one of the two that will kill you, but I guess being black is a potentially fatal health condition too >.<

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

RFC2324 posted:

Genetics and other health issues can play into it. But the fact is that, barring a few serious health issues(which you should get taken care of) you can work hard and lose the weight, and get to a much better place. Yes, it does take work, and it takes some people WAY more work than others, but it doesn't change the simple fact that it can be fixed.

I was gonna say that fat is the only one of the two that will kill you, but I guess being black is a potentially fatal health condition too >.<

The point is that research shows that even AFTER a fat guy loses weight and becomes normal, they have to then eat less than other normal people to even maintain that weight. They are kind of hosed forever and can never eat the regular amount again.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Mu Zeta posted:

The point is that research shows that even AFTER a fat guy loses weight and becomes normal, they have to then eat less than other normal people to even maintain that weight. They are kind of hosed forever and can never eat the regular amount again.

You are completely ignoring the fact that your metabolism slows down as you age, so us older folk can't eat as much anyway unless we want to get fat!

And that is a choice you make for yourself. Just know that if you opt for the fat route, people are going to find you less attractive.

Hell, I'm barely overweight and I get all kinds of comments, so I do have a small idea of how brutal it must be to be really big.

Again, it is a choice that the individual in question makes for themselves. Work hard to be attractive to other people, or enjoy life and be fat. They both have arguments in their favor, but again, the fat will kill ya, so its a shorter life of enjoying what you want.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Why are you doing this.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

RFC2324 posted:

You are completely ignoring the fact that your metabolism slows down as you age, so us older folk can't eat as much anyway unless we want to get fat!

And that is a choice you make for yourself. Just know that if you opt for the fat route, people are going to find you less attractive.

Hell, I'm barely overweight and I get all kinds of comments, so I do have a small idea of how brutal it must be to be really big.

Again, it is a choice that the individual in question makes for themselves. Work hard to be attractive to other people, or enjoy life and be fat. They both have arguments in their favor, but again, the fat will kill ya, so its a shorter life of enjoying what you want.

Nice meltdown

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

Why are you doing this.

He's getting pretty defensive about hating fat people by explaining that eating is a choice and ignoring that it is a form of sustenance, stress relief, and pleasure. Especially for people who have little sources of that in their lives

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

some idiot on a forum I browse posted:

The quotes are coming from inside the thread now

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Chomp8645 posted:

Why are you doing this.

Because I'm bored, and its too early to go to the bar.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RFC2324 posted:

/\/\/\ As a white person, yes it was! I have to pay mexicans to pick my cotton now! (fyi, THIS is sarcasm)

Well I was also pointing out the whole "clearly being black is not a normal thing, sorry for your handicap" vibe.

I probably shouldn't try to make two jokes at once.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Well I was also pointing out the whole "clearly being black is not a normal thing, sorry for your handicap" vibe.

I probably shouldn't try to make two jokes at once.

You got a guy to meltdown, so it's alright friend

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The producers of The Biggest Loser are scumbags.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

You're surprised by this how?

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Mu Zeta posted:

I was wondering if there was a new news story about them, but all I could find was something from May. The article, ‘Biggest Loser’ Producers Deny Forcing Contestants to Use Weight-Loss Drugs has this amazing quote in it:

quote:

“People chastise Bill Cosby for allegedly offering meds to women, but it’s acceptable to do to fat people to make them lose weight,” Gwynn said. “I feel like we got raped, too”

Yes, someone telling you to take diet pills is exactly like being drugged and raped. :what:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Karma Monkey posted:

I was wondering if there was a new news story about them, but all I could find was something from May. The article, ‘Biggest Loser’ Producers Deny Forcing Contestants to Use Weight-Loss Drugs has this amazing quote in it:

Yes, someone telling you to take diet pills is exactly like being drugged and raped. :what:

I'm not gonna say it's comparable to being raped, but being given drugs without your knowledge and consent or being pressured into taking them is extremely unethical.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

I'm not gonna say it's comparable to being raped, but being given drugs without your knowledge and consent or being pressured into taking them is extremely unethical.

No you see it's okay because they're fat and they compared their trauma to other victims so

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Who What Now posted:

Agreed, but being pressured to take diet pills is in no way as bad as being given a drug without your knowledge that causes you to black out.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
So many new thread titles to choose from.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Karma Monkey posted:

Agreed, but being pressured to take diet pills is in no way as bad as being given a drug without your knowledge that causes you to black out.

Dude usually any trauma is pretty taxing on one's mind and distortion is going to happen. Be mad at the producers

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Can we just pick one? The current one and the post that spawned it are just...ick.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Who What Now posted:

Look, do you want to be on TV or not? Shut up and eat the goddamn amphetamine cocktail. If you're all anxious and shaky you're just nervous and definitely not suffering from hypoglycemia or a hypertensive crisis

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Who What Now posted:

I have a friend who was actually on The Biggest Loser, and they've insisted they were never pressured to take, nor even offered, weight loss drugs or drugs of any kind. They were on in a different season than the lady making the accusations though, so who knows if it's always been that way or what.

Rat Patrol has a new favorite as of 20:31 on Jul 27, 2016

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Huntersoninski posted:

I have a friend who was actually on The Biggest Loser, and they've insisted they were never pressured to take, nor even offered, weight loss drugs. They were on in a different season than the lady making the accusations though, so who knows if it's always been that way or what.

I mean it also could depend on each contestants popularity.

The most popular contestant is going to be more pressured than others because views

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Huntersoninski posted:

I have a friend who was actually on The Biggest Loser, and they've insisted they were never pressured to take, nor even offered, weight loss drugs or drugs of any kind. They were on in a different season than the lady making the accusations though, so who knows if it's always been that way or what.

Did they confirm that the regimen they were put on was unreasonably grueling and a lot of the contestants gained weight as soon as they returned to real life? Because that does happen.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Mu Zeta posted:

This but all of reality TV.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I mean it also could depend on each contestants popularity.

The most popular contestant is going to be more pressured than others because views

That could be, but my friend did make it pretty far along and didn't see any drugs getting pushed around. Obviously I'm depending on their word but I trust them, I've known them a long time.

chitoryu12 posted:

Did they confirm that the regimen they were put on was unreasonably grueling and a lot of the contestants gained weight as soon as they returned to real life? Because that does happen.

Yeah, actually, they've spoken on that quite a bit, but it was never a big surprise to them. Their diets on the show are strictly controlled and their full time job is basically working out. I have no idea what the metric is for "unreasonably" grueling but the account I heard was that it was very hard but also well-monitored with health care staff on hand. When they return home, they go back to their actual full time jobs and slip easily back into old bad habits. My friend's stayed really motivated and still works out a lot and will be the first to admit even they've gained some back.

I'm sure they work them really hard but, according to my friend when they were there, it wasn't as bad as other contestants from other seasons are saying. But they're also not the kind of person to fall into pressure to do something unhealthy or harmful and were only on the show to get motivated in the first place.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kajeesus posted:

MOBA games take about 45 minutes per match, and punish you if you quit playing before the end of the round. Your average video game enthusiast can stand approximately 10 consecutive seconds of losing at a game before losing their poo poo. Additionally, they require you to play in teams, and unless you have 4 friends to play with, you will have to cooperate with internet strangers. Even if you're chill enough to not throw a fit and blame everyone but you every time you lose, it just takes one in five players being a pissbaby to set the community standard.

It's a perfect storm, really.

Also people who play video games are pretty much inherently lovely and mobas tend to make it so you can't play as duplicate characters. So if one manbaby's favorite character is already picked? Well he's just going to throw the whole game. Which then wastes an hour of everyone's time :shepface:.

Ytlaya posted:

I was raised pretty shittily :smith: we were poor as gently caress so we could never afford good food, let alone fresh vegetables or fruit. I was fat as a kid and when I decided to start getting healthier it was pretty disheartening. Aside from people making fun of me more than ever for trying to get into shape, running two miles a day and changing my diet for the first week amounted to a single pound burned off which was put right back on that weekend. So that's my relevant anecdote about trying to not be a fat anymore.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

chitoryu12 posted:

Turns out you can't excercise all day when you have a full time job, who knew.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Also crash diets only work temporarily

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

RFC2324 posted:

Same but with income. Poor people are to blame for their condition.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

RatHat posted:

Turns out you can't excercise all day when you have a full time job, who knew.

You can't watch you eat either, apparently.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Nuebot posted:

Also people who play video games are pretty much inherently lovely and mobas tend to make it so you can't play as duplicate characters. So if one manbaby's favorite character is already picked? Well he's just going to throw the whole game. Which then wastes an hour of everyone's time :shepface:.

I was raised pretty shittily :smith: we were poor as gently caress so we could never afford good food, let alone fresh vegetables or fruit. I was fat as a kid and when I decided to start getting healthier it was pretty disheartening. Aside from people making fun of me more than ever for trying to get into shape, running two miles a day and changing my diet for the first week amounted to a single pound burned off which was put right back on that weekend. So that's my relevant anecdote about trying to not be a fat anymore.

Trying to lose weight with cardio is incredibly frustrating. Running two miles is the caloric equivalent of like a donut, if that. Hit them weights and track your fat/carb/protein intake. And gently caress people who make fun of other people who are trying to make positive changes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BobbyK posted:

Trying to lose weight with cardio is incredibly frustrating. Running two miles is the caloric equivalent of like a donut, if that. Hit them weights and track your fat/carb/protein intake. And gently caress people who make fun of other people who are trying to make positive changes.

This *100. Best thing I've ever read is if your friend is 300 lbs and decides that a line-dancing aerobics class is fun and starts going regularly, then the correct response is to congratulate your friend on finding something enjoyable.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

CommonShore posted:

This *100. Best thing I've ever read is if your friend is 300 lbs and decides that a line-dancing aerobics class is fun and starts going regularly, then the correct response is to congratulate your friend on finding something enjoyable.

Hell yeah. Anyone I know in real life who is into fitness would agree with this 200%

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

We often hear that fat people are somehow “costing” society too much.

Leaving aside the fabricated numbers that often go with such claims, I would ask you this-

Do these people ever talk about the costs of misogyny or racism?

How much does it cost society that 3 women a day (in the US) are murdered by their male romantic partners? How much does it cost for the trials, the prison, the loss and grief surrounding the never ending violence against women?

Are these penny pinchers really concerned about costs?

Or are they just looking for a way to stigmatize fat people and bring the full weight of government sanction and interference into our lives to punish us for what we look like?

I think you know what the answer is.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
I worked out 5 times a week for 3 years, and cleaned up my diet to include fresh, real food with as little refined sugar as I could manage. I lost 100 lbs over those three years but didn't look much different to people who didn't know me, so the world at large still took me for a fatty and treated me accordingly. Then I discovered that the only way to keep the weight off was to continue not having anything resembling a social life and to continue running myself further into credit debt with gym fees for the rest of my life, and all that just so I could continue being treated like a fat person by the majority of people in the world. I eventually decided gently caress that, I will do things that I enjoy with my life, and if it ends sooner as a result, so be it.

I still wear the exact same size pants.

That's my story about weight loss.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?
My diet is pretty poo poo but I've never been fat. I do cook my own meals so I guess maybe that helps some I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9xeU-21WQM