Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Guinan has her own prime directive even though her civilization had been destroyed, she's still slumming it with the Federation.

Her super power is cat claws.

Picard should've warned her about the Borg when he went back in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Might have been nice if Guinan had told Starfleet about the Borg when they rescued her. I know she was probably pissy about being pulled out of the Nexus, but it would have been in her own best interest to warn people about the unstoppable cyborgs assimilating everything in their path.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Automatic Slim posted:

Picard should've warned her about the Borg when he went back in time.

well she didn't warn the federation about the borg when her and soran were rescued from the nexus by kirk after captain cameron poo poo his pants

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Harry Kim got replaced with a copy of Harry Kim and nobody cared ever

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.

Voyager is like an iceberg with some well written episodes at the top, supported by a multitude of offensively boring or god awful episodes below the surface.

Good Episodes (Must see)

Eye of the Needle
State of Flux
Projections
Maneuvers
Prototype
Alliances
Deathwish
Deadlock
The Thaw
Remember
Futures End
Unity
Before and After
Worst Case Scenario
Scorpion pt1 and 2
Year of Hell(just pt 1)
Living Witness
Timeless
Counterpoint
Bliss
Someone to Watch Over me
Relativity
Tinker,Tenor, Doctor, Spy
Blink of an Eye
Good Shepherd
Critical Care
Prophecy
Author,Author

Baaad Episodes (Don't see)

Parturition
Threshold
Darkling
Favourite Son
Vis a Vis
Unforgettable
The Disease
The Fight
11;59
Alice
Fair Haven
Spirit Folk
Friendship One

The other 129 episodes are ok sometimes, have some nice scenes occasionally but are largely forgettable, often lazy and heavily involve a nebula or something

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Some of those episodes are good, but none are great.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Harry Kim got replaced with a copy of Harry Kim and nobody cared ever

Nobody noticed. O'Brien got switched with a version 6hrs. from the future. He was a vast improvement.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Figaro posted:

Blink of an Eye

oh i remember that one

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Automatic Slim posted:

Eye of the Needle is a great episode, and holds its own with some of the best of Trek.

Edit: wait, I was thinking of Blink of an Eye.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.

Automatic Slim posted:

I agree, but they are good. For 45 minutes you can (almost) forgive Voyager its flaws

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

criscodisco posted:

Eye of the Needle is a great episode, and holds its own with some of the best of Trek.

Eye of the Needle has a killer gut punch twist and also a lovely scene where Janeway negotiates and subtly manipulates a Romulan over the comm in her nightie.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Why would anybody list Year of Hell and specify part one only

I mean I get that it's the titular example of a literal reset button ending, to the point where there's a drat gif of it but really now

I think that two parter (aside from being a perfect example of what kind of show Voyager could and arguably should have been) was great if only for the timeship captain ahab angle. Anytime Trek does or mentions Moby Dick it seems to be a good time, especially when paired with some strong actors like President "Bitches Leave" Red Foreman

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ever since the Crew Goes Nuts While Crossing the Black Expanse episode, Janeway's written in an increasingly hostile, standoffish way.

Which could have been cool if they had made than an explicit character arc leading to Equinox, but VOY gotta VOY

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Tighclops posted:

Why would anybody list Year of Hell and specify part one only

I mean I get that it's the titular example of a literal reset button ending, to the point where there's a drat gif of it but really now

I think that two parter (aside from being a perfect example of what kind of show Voyager could and arguably should have been) was great if only for the timeship captain ahab angle. Anytime Trek does or mentions Moby Dick it seems to be a good time, especially when paired with some strong actors like President "Bitches Leave" Red Foreman

Hmm I don't think much happens in the second part.

Chakotay becomes close to Annorax and slightly obsessed with Time
Tom starts an insurrection onboard the Krenim ship
Janeway takes risks onboard a half destroyed Voyager and the Doctor tries to relieve her for mental incompetence
Janeway crashes Voyager into Annorax's ship and reboots the timeline

I'm not saying you shouldn't watch it particularly if you've gone to the bother of viewing Part 1, but I wouldent say it's an ecspecially great episode. It has that problem that a lot of Star Trek two parters have, where part 1 is about building the tension and creating obstacles an then part 2 is about solving everything, which is far less enjoyable. Particularly with Voyager, which seems to resolve two parters rather perfunctorily ie. Equinox/Dark Frontier/Workforce/Basics

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

criscodisco posted:

I'd like to petition starfleet to name this wormhole "Harry's Hole"

I should use this list to try to get my wife to tolerate some voyager, or even to get my self to tolerate some voyager. Is that list in order of goodness or season?

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Season

But its pretty subjective. There's a couple of old school Trek episodes that wouldent have looked out of place on TOS (Prototype) which I genuinely really like but I could see why someone else would find it average

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Prototype was good but the robot change was so so bad.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Plus it made Riker stop directing episodes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Robot Change?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Autocorrect I meant robot costume.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Yeah I couldn't handle that. I wish they'd just done a Data-style effect.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

The robot outfits are awful, even for 1996. But I like the idea of a robot war and Voyager is stuck in the middle bleating "eh sorry guys we just want our half Klingon chief engineer back please"

There was a couple of good Torres episodes in season 2; Prototype and Dreadnaught where it looked like the writers were directing her characterisation as that of a smart capable engineer/scientist with a natural intellectual curiosity that now she was in the Delta Quadrant away from the problems of home, she would be free to explore.

But then they seemed to forget all that and she became known primarily as Tom Paris's girlfriend and Seven of Nine got all her technobabble and cosy scenes with Janeway discussing SCIENCE

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Figaro posted:

There was a couple of good Torres episodes in season 2; Prototype and Dreadnaught where it looked like the writers were directing her characterisation as that of a smart capable engineer/scientist with a natural intellectual curiosity that now she was in the Delta Quadrant away from the problems of home, she would be free to explore.

But then they seemed to forget all that and she became known primarily as Tom Paris's girlfriend and Seven of Nine got all her technobabble and cosy scenes with Janeway discussing SCIENCE

Pretty ironic and also terrible that the character who started as the "disagreeable but capable and independent Engineer" eventually got written away into becoming the "occasionally feisty but agreeable and supportive Girlfriend".

Women just can't catch a break on TV.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

Pretty ironic and also terrible that the character who started as the "disagreeable but capable and independent Engineer" eventually got written away into becoming the "occasionally feisty but agreeable and supportive Girlfriend".

I agree! She wasn't the only character to be discarded after Seven of Nine but I think they really wasted a potentially flawed and interesting character by relegating her solely to engineering and sitcom scenes with Tom.

Plus in "Vis a Vis" and "Alice", Paris is replaced by a bodyswitcher and possessed by a female shuttlecraft respectively and his behavior then isn't that far from how we see he normally treats Torres. The old ball and chain haha am I right? Leave me alone woman so I can watch my cartoons on my hipster TV and then I'll take you on a date to the holodeck to see the car I'm fixing up

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
if you were a star trek space ship which would you be? I think I'd be the USS Bozemen, lost and alone in space and time :smith:

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I would be the Delta Flyer because I can't fit in my house.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i haven't watched a lot of Voyager because its poo poo, so I had to look that up. Pretty cool that a Lieutenant JG was able to blend borg poo poo and all that and make a spaceship all on the voyager while they were lost and had to have an alien cook them lovely food because materials were so low

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

The Reliant because Khan could come onboard anytime and I'd surrender to him

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I would be the IKS Rotarran because despite the high expectations placed on me by my proud heritage I'm filled with cowardice and self-doubt and never accomplish anything.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm sending a request to Klingon High Command for special dispensation to be renamed IKS Millennial.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I'd be anything but a Bajoran lightship.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm the USS Valiant I'm full of drugs and going to kill myself

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

I would be the IKS Rotarran because despite the high expectations placed on me by my proud heritage I'm filled with cowardice and self-doubt and never accomplish anything.

You'd need to airlock Alexander ASAP or your ship is without honour

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Or I'd be the Equinox because I'm powered by cruelty and boredom.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I wish that I was the Botany Bay so that Khan would be inside of me

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Figaro posted:

Voyager is like an iceberg with some well written episodes at the top, supported by a multitude of offensively boring or god awful episodes below the surface.

Good Episodes (Must see)

Eye of the Needle
State of Flux
Projections
Maneuvers
Prototype
Alliances
Deathwish
Deadlock
The Thaw
Remember
Futures End
Unity
Before and After
Worst Case Scenario
Scorpion pt1 and 2
Year of Hell(just pt 1)
Living Witness
Timeless
Counterpoint
Bliss
Someone to Watch Over me
Relativity
Tinker,Tenor, Doctor, Spy
Blink of an Eye
Good Shepherd
Critical Care
Prophecy
Author,Author

Baaad Episodes (Don't see)

Parturition
Threshold
Darkling
Favourite Son
Vis a Vis
Unforgettable
The Disease
The Fight
11;59
Alice
Fair Haven
Spirit Folk
Friendship One

The other 129 episodes are ok sometimes, have some nice scenes occasionally but are largely forgettable, often lazy and heavily involve a nebula or something

Your list of good Voyager episodes is messed up because it isn't just Bride of Chaotica listed 12 times.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I'd be Crusher's hospital ship from the future because I've got all my big business up front.

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009
tom paris is poo poo and i hate his loving holo-episodes

and endgame...what a waste

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

In season 6 or 7 she goes off-the-rails and reprograms the doctor to genetically alter her unborn child, are you telling me this isn't a good female portrayal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Tricky D posted:

Your list of good Voyager episodes is messed up because it isn't just Bride of Chaotica listed 12 times.

Yeaah that wasn't an oversight. I do like parts of that one, like when Janeway cosplays as Queen Arachnia and the devil robot but I just don't rewatch it that much, I'm not sure why. For me, it just slightly misses the mark