Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I have my GoPro on the chin bar. If you use the curved mount it's possible to get it to stick pretty well. Helps to build up the area with some extra pieces of the adhesive tape (3M 4991 on Amazon). Mounting it slightly off-center is usually fine too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm sure I've seen people put the mount off to one side on the chin bar and then have a longer arm to place the camera in the middle.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'm sure I've seen people put the mount off to one side on the chin bar and then have a longer arm to place the camera in the middle.

I've done this. I think there's a guide to what you need on reddit. It looks kind of odd but I like the picture without the helmet in the view and I like where it puts the perspective.

As Nero Danced posted:

Does anyone here have a pair of Racer R-safes? I've seen them come up in discussion every now and then and supposedly they're one of the best pairs of gloves available. I'm just wondering if anyone here has first-hand experience with them.

Also, I noticed they and my scorpion SGS gloves have the same knox scaphoid protectors. I guess knox licenses these little things out to other companies, so how come more companies don't use them?

I do. I really like them and think they compare well to the other fancy gloves I've actually worn which were A*. They feel safe and they've held up quite well, but I only got them last Christmas so who knows long term.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I've had it both on eye-level on the side and off center on the chin bar. Both works. You get some of the helmet in the shot with eye-level, but I got a lot more pull and turbulence from the camera when it is on the chin, plus top heavy when I open up my flip-up lid when stationary . Get a go pro grab bag or side mount kit and experiment.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Nitramster posted:

Has anyone here mounted a go pro to the chin on their helmet? I got a session recently and put it on top my helmet, but I don't like the perspective. The chin area on my helmet is occupied by a vent slider, and most helmets I thin kI want are the same. is there some sort of clip that can be used to mount it sort of inside the helmet and then hold the go pro above the chin-vent apparatus?
Depends on the helmet to have a mostly flat surface on the chin, but you can do it. I did it on a crappy Sparx full face chinbar, right in the middle. Used the stick-on mount that came with the gopro that had the long curved arm and I removed the sticky padding from the mount and scuffed it and the helmet up with sandpaper and epoxied it on. Then I also added zipties to tether the case to the helmet D-rings cause I'm paranoid. But the center chin mount is far and away the best place to put a camera. Makes the video feel like you're riding the bike, not like you're a camera suction cupped on in a weird place.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I'm looking for a quality open face helmet with a visor and separate drop down sun shield. Trying not to spend like 500 bucks for the super premium helmets (Shoei j-cruise, schuberth m1, for example) but I'm willing to spend around, say, $300 for a badass helmet. Any tips?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Find the cheapest one so you can save some money for jaw reconstruction

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Any specific reason you want to leave the most commonly injured part of your face exposed instead of getting a full face or modular helmet?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Always found them very restrictive, uncomfortable, hard to put on/take off, don't play well with glasses...

I guess a modular could solve a lot of my problems and I honestly probably just haven't actually tried on one that fit right. I've only ever used them when bumming a helmet from a friend. Maybe I'll reconsider.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Full face helmets are more restrictive than other kinds, yes, if you consider things like "not being able to eat a burger with your helmet on" to be restrictive. They don't restrict anything when you're on the bike.

If the helmet is uncomfortable, it's sized wrong. Get one that fits better.

It should only take about 5 seconds to pull your helmet on once you get the hang of it.

I've always worn glasses with my full face helmets and never had a problem. Maybe if you're wearing giant 80s retro shades.

More than 40% of all impacts to the head happen in the jaw and face area. How much do you like your teeth?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Tree Dude posted:

Always found them very restrictive, uncomfortable, hard to put on/take off, don't play well with glasses...

I guess a modular could solve a lot of my problems and I honestly probably just haven't actually tried on one that fit right. I've only ever used them when bumming a helmet from a friend. Maybe I'll reconsider.

Yeah, go find a helmet place and try a bunch on. If one brand doesn't fit well, try another brand. Modular helmets are great if you wear glasses, but they're not necessary. Please protect your face.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Certain helmets work better with glasses than other. Some that work very well are Icon, Arai, and Shoei.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Partial Octopus posted:

Certain helmets work better with glasses than other. Some that work very well are Icon, Arai, and Shoei.

I've always found Shark to play very nicely with glasses too.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

You won't have to worry about glasses after you crash with an open face helmet though. You won't have a nose to rest them on.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I'll probably end up spending a bill or two more than I originally wanted but y'all are
selling me on full face...

Edit: phone posted a totally different sentence than my brain wanted. I do kinda like my face.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 25, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Tree Dude posted:

I'll probably end up spending a bill or two more than I originally wanted but y'all at taking me into full face...

Your brain will be fine in an open face, since your jaw will act as a crumple zone.

Someone link him to the crash thread post where the poor goon in a 3/4 helmet had to have her jaw rebuilt (if I recall correctly) after a truck mirror clipped her while she was stopped. That's not even a crash, that's just bad luck.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Partial Octopus posted:

Arai makes very nice helmets in general. I have an Axces II and it's super comfortable even with glasses.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Tree Dude posted:

I'll probably end up spending a bill or two more than I originally wanted but y'all are
selling me on full face...

Edit: phone posted a totally different sentence than my brain wanted. I do kinda like my face.

Good. You can get a nice fullface for <150 btw.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Whenever I contemplate going to an open face helmet, I end up looking at this and changing my mind:

The jaw facing away from us is 19%

I don't know how accurate those numbers are, but to my recollection they came from a study on crashes. The percentage is how likely that area was impacted during a crash.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Lynza posted:

Yeah, go find a helmet place and try a bunch on. If one brand doesn't fit well, try another brand. Modular helmets are great if you wear glasses, but they're not necessary. Please protect your face.

I wear glasses, and tried a few modular helmets on and still had to take them on and off to put the helmet on or take it off. I just went with the full face anyways.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

As Nero Danced posted:

Does anyone here have a pair of Racer R-safes? I've seen them come up in discussion every now and then and supposedly they're one of the best pairs of gloves available.

Love my Racer Guide Gloves. Have put a couple thousand miles on them and they're comfortable and obviously high quality. Great summer gloves.

Those R-Safes look good. Probably get those next.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

As Nero Danced posted:

Whenever I contemplate going to an open face helmet, I end up looking at this and changing my mind:

The jaw facing away from us is 19%

I don't know how accurate those numbers are, but to my recollection they came from a study on crashes. The percentage is how likely that area was impacted during a crash.

It's based on this graphic, which is originally from a German study of motorcycle accidents.

Also, can't let a discussion of "are full-face helmets really worth it?" go by without posting this (a bit :nms: but it's only CT scans, no real pictures)

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I have an Alpinestars Viper Air jacket, I bought that model in particular because it has a zipper connection for Alpinestars pants. I haven't bought a pair of pants yet, but I realized the jacket seems a little short on me (I'm 6'3"). Are most of their pants going to be extra high waisted and be able to connect with the jacket without restricting movement?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

MomJeans420 posted:

I have an Alpinestars Viper Air jacket, I bought that model in particular because it has a zipper connection for Alpinestars pants. I haven't bought a pair of pants yet, but I realized the jacket seems a little short on me (I'm 6'3"). Are most of their pants going to be extra high waisted and be able to connect with the jacket without restricting movement?
Yup. Most of them also come in Tall sizes.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

MomJeans420 posted:

Yes, probably, but be sure that you don't have a bare flap of your back exposed when you're wearing both. If you hit the ground moving, the jacket can ride up and leave you with a really fabulous scar.

I was reminded of this as I saw a woman on a bike this morning, weaving through traffic, and I could clearly see her really badly-done tattoo.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I had a friend who had his jacket ride up and lost a bunch of skin on his lower back, which is why I'm making sure to get pants that zip to my jacket. I'll get a one piece eventually, but at least my mesh isn't too bad right now when it's the mid-90s as I'm riding.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I had that happen the last time I crashed. Got some rash on my lower back which healed fine thankfully because I didnt clean it out except with soap and a shower. I've got a larger better fitting jacket now and I got the Icon Raiden Arakis pants which have lower back protection and suspenders but I hosed up the zipper connecting it to the pants so I can't use it now.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Icon helmets work really well with glasses and have a really wide range of sizes, the Alliance GT is decently priced and has a flip down internal sun visor and neat graphics.

I understand the whole mouth covered thing, it can take a bit to get over the clostophobia but I like my jaw.

Bell are also decent with glasses, but to parrot what everyone else has said go try some on and you'll find one you like.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Keket posted:

Bell are also decent with glasses,
Not all of them. Gotta try some on to be sure.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I tried on a few Icon helmets today and they seemed like they were sized suuuuper small. In most helmets a large is snug on me and an XL is a lil too big. I couldn't even get the Icon large on my head. Don't remember if I tried the XL. I wasn't too excited about the Icon helmet I was looking at anyway. The air venting on it made it look like Daredevil's helmet.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Oh no, you guys, no more Skully helmets. I am so sad.
https://techcrunch.com/2016/07/26/once-promising-ar-motorcycle-helmet-startup-skully-has-crashed-and-burned/

quote:

Last week TechCrunch came to you with the dramatic departure of AR helmet maker Skully’s CEO and co-founder Marcus Weller and now several sources from inside the company tell us the startup is no more.

Operations have ceased within the company, and we’re told the website will be turned off at some point today. Weller has also been asked to sign a confidentiality deal with investors.

Weller told TechCrunch today he will not sign and that he’s completely walked away from all dealings with the company as of 10 days ago.

“I’m shocked and deeply saddened that they would now shut this company down,” Weller said in a phone conversation today. “We were raising a Series B to continue raising capital but then we had a buyer…I’m almost dubious to this.”

The site is still up for now but it says Skully’s AR-1 helmet is sold out in every size and no one is able to order. A source tells us sales were cut off on Monday.
So much money from so many people suddenly goes *poof*

E: Awe I missed this posting in the Discussion thread!

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 27, 2016

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The new Star sucks for it. The channels are angled for some loving reason, so your glasses tilt up off your nose at a slight angle.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Schroeder91 posted:

I had that happen the last time I crashed. Got some rash on my lower back which healed fine thankfully because I didnt clean it out except with soap and a shower.

Why didn't you pour salt on it??

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It was a MT that I had, not a Bell, that's what i get for late-night posting.

Another thing to consider when you're looking at helmets is how good they are if they actually need to stop you from being hosed up/ded http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ is good to have up as they test pretty much every new helmet that comes out.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
The only 5 star rated helmet I saw that also has the drop down sun shield I'm after is the Shark Evoline 3. It was on my short list already. Might have to try one on.

Edit: anyone have experience with Shark helmets? Nobody near me sells them so I'll buy online if I decide to go with it. I'm getting conflicting reports on their sizing. Some say they run a little big just as many maybe more say a little small. I'm like right on that L/XL line.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 27, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Keket posted:

Another thing to consider when you're looking at helmets is how good they are if they actually need to stop you from being hosed up/ded http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ is good to have up as they test pretty much every new helmet that comes out.

Remember that this website is based in Europe, so they only test European models of helmet. Sometimes you also have to look for alternate model names; e.g. the Shoei RF-1200 isn't listed on the SHARP website, but in the EU it (or a nearly identical model) is sold as the NXR, which is in their database.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

I had a friend who had his jacket ride up and lost a bunch of skin on his lower back, which is why I'm making sure to get pants that zip to my jacket. I'll get a one piece eventually, but at least my mesh isn't too bad right now when it's the mid-90s as I'm riding.

Yeah, I got one of these for my Dainese jackets:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-union-belt

Works great.

Tree Dude posted:

I tried on a few Icon helmets today and they seemed like they were sized suuuuper small. In most helmets a large is snug on me and an XL is a lil too big. I couldn't even get the Icon large on my head. Don't remember if I tried the XL. I wasn't too excited about the Icon helmet I was looking at anyway. The air venting on it made it look like Daredevil's helmet.

Just got an Icon Airmada. Went medium, same as my Bell RS-1. The... opening... is a ton tighter, but once you get it on, the actual helmet fits similarly. The shell is for sure physically smaller though. The visor is closer to my face. I like it. Way bigger field of view. Still plenty of room for glasses. And glasses arms fit better than my Bell.

The helmet also seems to buffet less at high speed on my naked bike.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tree Dude posted:

The only 5 star rated helmet I saw that also has the drop down sun shield I'm after is the Shark Evoline 3. It was on my short list already. Might have to try one on.

Edit: anyone have experience with Shark helmets? Nobody near me sells them so I'll buy online if I decide to go with it. I'm getting conflicting reports on their sizing. Some say they run a little big just as many maybe more say a little small. I'm like right on that L/XL line.

Shark are incredibly inconsistent on sizing. The S range are almost Shoei-shaped but a tiny bit rounder and the sizes run pretty true. The R range is apparently made for coneheads because despite being tight on my brow and ears there was still a massive void above. And the cool robot-looking modular they do runs at least two sizes smaller than the others.

Basically never buy a helmet online without trying it on first. And extra-double-triple never buy a helmet from an online place that lets you do returns because then you're putting your head in the hands of every random chucklefuck who ordered it before you.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The S range are almost Shoei-shaped but a tiny bit rounder and the sizes run pretty true.

Is there a guide somewhere to how different brands of helmets are shaped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Shark are incredibly inconsistent on sizing. The S range are almost Shoei-shaped but a tiny bit rounder and the sizes run pretty true. The R range is apparently made for coneheads because despite being tight on my brow and ears there was still a massive void above. And the cool robot-looking modular they do runs at least two sizes smaller than the others.

Basically never buy a helmet online without trying it on first. And extra-double-triple never buy a helmet from an online place that lets you do returns because then you're putting your head in the hands of every random chucklefuck who ordered it before you.

Seconding this, shark's size designations have little relation to anything at all and seem to be applied randomly.

pokie posted:

Is there a guide somewhere to how different brands of helmets are shaped?

Going into a shop and physically trying them on is the one and only way of getting a helmet that actually fits you. There is no magic method or handy lifehack for this.