Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

if my dude who i have been eyeing for like 4 rounds but been biding my time on goes in these next picks i swear to god i will freak out on myself because really i am the one to blame for not drafting him repeatedly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Uh I have no idea what I'm doing, I'm at work and phone posting with 3% battery, and I hate all of the centers left for a 3rd line role if I want to have any semblance of scoring depth, so I'm moving Nelson down to 3C and I'm taking a HUGE risk here and drafting Dmitrij Jaskin for my first line LW and this is where my team goes off the rails

Jaskin-Crosby-Nyquist
Kreider-Larkin-Sharp
Zucker-Nelson-Brown

McDonagh-Martinez
Pouliot-Garrison

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Jaskin is pretty good and I had him as one of the highest rated wingers on the board here and Crosby can play with anyone so gently caress it, that move probably works out for a real GM and Jaskin gets a 5m AAV contract in the offseason

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Oh god I just realized a prospect is on the board still.

Ohhhh god, do I go with the centre that is who I know he is or do I gamble even further with my lineup

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
gently caress it, YOLO. Matthew Barzal

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

JoelJoel is up, followed by Menamino & tofes

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I wasn't going to take him but I like Barzal

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Yaya posted:

gently caress it, YOLO. Matthew Barzal

gently caress I wanted to take him

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

tofes posted:

I wasn't going to take him but I like Barzal

i was going to take him and i also like him

I'd say there's better than a 50/50 shot that he makes the opening night roster, he was the second best forward in Isles' training camp last year and would've made the team if he was a little older.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Joel Edmundson, cause the other one is too old.

Young shutdown guy to clean up Phaneuf's garbage. Tiny sample size but he looked great in every game I watched him play*. Good possession player, albeit on a good possession team. Potential, and so on. If he pans out he's a solid second pairing shutdown guy. Worst case scenario he plays on the bottom pairing and sees some time on the PK. I guess he has a contract.

*Never noticed him in a game they lost. So I looked it up:

In the top 30 the Blues only lost 6 in regulation, none in OT,and 2 in the SO.

Menamino
tofes (Interim GM)
Furnaceface
Aye Doc

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I guess it's about time that I took a goalie before every single one is gone so I'll take Jaroslav Halak

i was counting on Barzal to be my third line RW so he could be sheltered for his first season in the league and round out my top 9 but I still feel pretty good about it overall

Marchand - Tavares - Ehlers
Cammalleri - Brassard - Kucherov
Lee - Ribiero -
- Komarov -

Tanev
Petry
Pulock

Halak

tofes is up

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

I don't really like my options for 3rd line center so the Sabres draft Timo Meier. That way Staal can play on the third line

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I've got a lot of choices I like here but I'm going with a d-man, Josh Manson, because I think he fills a specific need that nobody else available does. he gets slightly favorable zone starts but he is deployed as someone to keep the leqd and he does a fantastic job. he was the best defenseman in the league last season in goals allowed per 60 on the PK and he has a positive effect on goals allowed 5v5 too. his shot suppression last season was crazy, the Ducks allowed 10 less shots per 60 with him on the ice vs off and like I said, his usage is as a lead protector so he's facing a pretty good workload. he had top 4 ice time last season and did well with it, and I know he works well with my boy Hampus Lindholm. he's 24 and a cool guy and I like him a lot

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

wow aye doc you sure wrote a lot of words about a trash player

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

wow aye doc you sure wrote a lot of words about a trash player

You also picked before it was your turn. :ssh:

I open tomorrow so Ill make my pick in a few minutes so this can move on which means premature pickulator Aye Doc mentholmoose will have the 2 hour block in the morning.

e: Haha holy poo poo how is this guy still available? Gimme Joshua Ho-Sang, Ill do a fancy write up in the morning.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 28, 2016

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

You know what to do, tofes

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

You also picked before it was your turn. :ssh:

oh whoops I was so excited to draft him I couldn't hold it in

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

oh whoops I was so excited to draft him I couldn't hold it in

Its ok, no harm was done. After all, its what Jim Benning would have done too. :v:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

tofes posted:

I don't really like my options for 3rd line center so the Sabres draft Timo Meier. That way Staal can play on the third line

He gonna play this year? I was watching his WC highlights and he was tossing around old European men

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Furnaceface posted:

Its ok, no harm was done. After all, its what Jim Benning would have done too. :v:

But not Brian Burke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzgalcl3tD8

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

T-Bone posted:

He gonna play this year? I was watching his WC highlights and he was tossing around old European men

Ya I think he's definitely going to play, almost made the team out of camp last year. My guess is he'll end up on Jumbo's wing on the first line and Hertl will play 3rd line center, would give the Sharks some awesome scoring depth

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Aye Doc posted:

I've got a lot of choices I like here but I'm going with a d-man, Josh Manson, because I think he fills a specific need that nobody else available does. he gets slightly favorable zone starts but he is deployed as someone to keep the leqd and he does a fantastic job. he was the best defenseman in the league last season in goals allowed per 60 on the PK and he has a positive effect on goals allowed 5v5 too. his shot suppression last season was crazy, the Ducks allowed 10 less shots per 60 with him on the ice vs off and like I said, his usage is as a lead protector so he's facing a pretty good workload. he had top 4 ice time last season and did well with it, and I know he works well with my boy Hampus Lindholm. he's 24 and a cool guy and I like him a lot

(its because of Hampus Lindholm)

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Technetium posted:

(its because of Hampus Lindholm)

actually there's more evidence suggesting that Manson is helping Lindholm more !!!

they both do a lot worse separately

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I'm running out of words to justify these picks. Gimme Andrew Cogliano.

Daniel Sedin-Tyler Seguin-Jake Voracek
J.T. Miller-Nicklas Backstrom-Sam Bennett
Andrew Cogliano-Tomas Plekanec-x

Sami Vatanen-Michael Stone
Julius Honka-Dan Hamhuis

Ben Bishop

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 28, 2016

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Good lord have I agonized over this pick. I want/need another veteran who can produce in the top-6, and there are quite a few out there (with really, really bad contracts). Of those questionable veterans I've decided to take Jason Pominville because he's only got three years left on his not so great contract.

Much like Wilson, he had a rough regular season last year but found himself with 7 points in 6 playoff games. Not only that but he is a possession goddamned monster. I mean.. look at this.

He's a natural playmaker so it gives me the opportunity to drop Nash to second line duties and I suspect that second line would not be so fun to play against for the other teams stars. It's not unreasonable to expect 40-50 points from all 3 of those players and each one of them is exceedingly gifted on either end of the ice. This also lets Rieder move up (please don't go to Europe, sign a damned contract) and play on a faster line with Tarasenko. Now I feel okay picking prospects and kids to fill out the bottom lines so I'll likely be going that route here on out.

Rieder - Monahan - Tarasenko
Nash - Staal - Pominville
Wilson - Soderberg- x

Maatta - Jones
De Haan - Parayko

Gibson

Flyinglemur is on the clock at 10 sharp.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 28, 2016

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Pfffft, why wait until ten when I can waste this pick now?

The Ducks select old rear end center Brian Boyle because he's in a contract year and every time I watch him play he seems to have a timely goal and/or assist. Granted, I only see him play once or twice a year but hey I need some goddamn centers.

So team ShitShowSouthernCalifornia looks like:

Kessel-Eichel-Jagr
Sheary-Boyle-Yakupov
? -? -Rust
? -? -?

J. Carlson - Dumoulin
Skjei - ?
? - ?

M. Jones
MAF

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Sheary-Boyle-Yakupov is incredible

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Flyinglemur posted:

The Ducks select old rear end center Brian Boyle because he's in a contract year and every time I watch him play he seems to have a timely goal and/or assist. Granted, I only see him play once or twice a year but hey I need some goddamn centers.

Kessel-Eichel-Jagr
Sheary-Boyle-Yakupov
? -? -Rust
? -? -?

J. Carlson - Dumoulin
Skjei - ?
? - ?

M. Jones
MAF

You seem to have forgotten you picked Jay Beagle

Also I think some of you guys out there aren't going to hit the cap floor which will be interesting.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Toronto selects Nikita Soshnikov.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

You seem to have forgotten you picked Jay Beagle

Also I think some of you guys out there aren't going to hit the cap floor which will be interesting.

How could I forget him? He's a good boy oh yes he is

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Otis Reddit has until 1:17 to pick followed by
The RECAPITATOR
ThinkTank

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Aye Doc posted:

actually there's more evidence suggesting that Manson is helping Lindholm more !!!

they both do a lot worse separately

The way I'm reading it is Josh Manson and Hampus Lindholm together is great because Manson is also at least good defensively unlike most other partners he's had. Hampus' numbers away from him means he's been paired with one of: Kevin Bieksa (lol), Sami Vatanen or Korbinian Holzer (double lol) or the years past Francois Beauchemin (lmao). The pairing of Manson/Lindholm is dynamite for Anaheim though, I didn't realize they were that good. Looks like Lindholm drives offense and Manson excels at shot suppression with him. Away Lindholm's shot suppression is not nearly as good but his offense is still usually great and away Manson's numbers are not nearly as good at shot suppression or driving offense.

e: oh gently caress you have Lindholm anyway go to hell you old bastard

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Flyinglemur posted:

Kessel-Eichel-Jagr
Sheary-Boyle-Yakupov
? -? -Rust
? -? -?

J. Carlson - Dumoulin
Skjei - ?
? - ?

M. Jones
MAF

Why on earth did you take Fleury and Jones

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

tofes posted:

To lose Jones in the expansion

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
blistering pace

The RECAPITATOR is skipped at 3:17 and then ThinkTank can pick.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

tofes posted:

Look, we're however many rounds into this thing and if you haven't figured out that I don't have a "plan" or am "good at this" then I don't know what to tell you.

But I AM committed to the entire thing and man I hope the Ducks do well. A team that our own Mook would be proud to cheer for.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Flyinglemur posted:

Look, we're however many rounds into this thing and if you haven't figured out that I don't have a "plan" or am "good at this" then I don't know what to tell you.

But I AM committed to the entire thing and man I hope the Ducks do well. A team that our own Mook would be proud to cheer for.

I'm sorry to tell you the MDoA are DOA

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'll take Jared "Fuckin'" McCann

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Jared "sucks" mccann

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Looking at Lindholm/Manson for another ten seconds shows there were The Best shutdown line in the NHL to play at least 500 minutes together at 5v5 which accounts for 53 NHL pairings. There were second best in overall possession behind Doughty/Mcnabb (the second best shutdown line). Good golly.

• Locked thread