Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:cripes:

Can you close it with "can't fix, out of our scope"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
You get bonus points if you can close the ticket while referencing latency between the two sites in terms of the speed of light.

edit:
it's 45ms

ErIog fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 27, 2016

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

larchesdanrew posted:

Throwing my vote in for this as the new thread title

There is no escaping the awesomely far-reaching Cheetos fingers of goonkind.

What happened with your contractors who apparently thought leaving everything unplugged was cool and good?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

larchesdanrew posted:

Cool, nearest Apple store is only a 6 hour drive away :suicide:

You work for a school, we had something similar happen when I worked for a school because no one looked into how any of that worked and just dumped them to the masses. We were able to get it settled over the phone / email. Assuming you have a purchase order with all the serials in the schools name and can prove your with the school should be able to be remotely sorted in a few weeks real time, and about a dozen emails total.

I'm not the one that sent the emails so I'm not sure what magic he used, we were also part of some program that gave schools discounts on bulk app store purchases which may have helped. Seriously try the email route first, be prepared to send all order information with the block of serials and the ones you need reset highlighted.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Nerdrock posted:

Apple enterprise support is surprisingly good. Give them a call.

As someone who was involved with trying to unfuck the LAUSD iPad scheme I'd take this commendation with a pinch of salt.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

ErIog posted:

You get bonus points if you can close the ticket while referencing latency between the two sites in terms of the speed of light.

edit:
it's 45ms

Of course then it'll get thrown back at you asking why you can't reduce the latency to 45ms. I mean, if light can do it, why can't your system?

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Smoke posted:

Of course then it'll get thrown back at you asking why you can't reduce the latency to 45ms. I mean, if light can do it, why can't your system?

"Because unlike light, digital signals need to stop and think for a bit on the way."

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Smoke posted:

Sure, that'll be about 600 billion dollars, please. Cutting a borehole in a straight line between the two sites can shave off like 5 whole milliseconds, precious time to use for routing and signal regeneration. That's too much? Then I guess you don't need it after all!

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

Anyone have any suggestions for cloud managed remote web filtering that will work on OSX 10.11?

Our current solution decided El Capitan was too much trouble and decided to stop supporting it. Thanks jerks.

We've got about 1000 MBAirs about to ship out across the country that needs to have the bare minimum filtering in place when on private networks.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you name and shame the current vendor that caters for Macs but 10 months isn't enough time to get their product out?

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Can you name and shame the current vendor that caters for Macs but 10 months isn't enough time to get their product out?

Edgewave's iPrism software. We've been using it for years because it was basically pain free setting it up. Now, not so much.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Odd question I know, but where can I download Windows 8.0? I own a license but need the installer or the .iso file.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Odd question I know, but where can I download Windows 8.0? I own a license but need the installer or the .iso file.
:filez:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

For real? :sigh:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I believe so, yeah. Phone posting right now so can't check the Microsoft site.

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

Wilford Cutlery posted:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

Insert license key, download ISO and/or media creator.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Note that if the license you own is OEM, :filez: because Microsoft won't give it to you.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Terminal posted:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

Insert license key, download ISO and/or media creator.

Already have this and I don't think it's going to help...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Ok that brings me to the question I really wanted to ask: Why do you need Windows 8.0?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've had to :filez: the ISOs before and run the MD5 hash against what's published on TechNet. But I am also intrigued about Windows 8.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

I've had to :filez: the ISOs before and run the MD5 hash against what's published on TechNet. But I am also intrigued about Windows 8.

You should not use md5 for that but sha256 or better, because it's very much possible to generate a modified ISO with malware that collides to the same hash.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

That 8.1 installer does take 8.0 keys, if that's what you're worried about.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Inspector_666 posted:

Ok that brings me to the question I really wanted to ask: Why do you need Windows 8.0?

Reviving an old desktop, wanted to put Windows 10 on it but ran into an error saying it couldn't be installed because the processors don't support CompareExchange128 (this is a pair of dual-core socket 940 AMD Opterons). Did a bit of reading and it seems like this started being enforced with the upgrade to 8.1, so the highest I can go is 8.0

I've also read that there is a workaround to get 8.1 or 10 going, by upgrading to 32-bit then installing 64-bit via DVD or something like that. Maybe I'll get lucky. In the meantime I found a download and will check its SHA1 hash.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

spankmeister posted:

You should not use md5 for that but sha256 or better, because it's very much possible to generate a modified ISO with malware that collides to the same hash.

Interesting. Will bear that in mind if I need to do it again - I try to avoid needing old versions of Windows and if I do we have it licensed with SA so it comes direct from Microsoft. I don't think they publish hashes any stronger than SHA1, or didn't when I last checked.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

spankmeister posted:

Listen to this, it has been true for pretty long time.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Is sha1 broken too?

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran

Gilok posted:

Is there a way to create a Windows profile for a domain user without having them log in? I occasionally get passwords from more... challenged users when I'm setting up a new computer so I can put their files in the right places and set up their wifi cert and so forth.

The fact that I don't want to spend 15 minutes in the same room as these people probably has nothing to do with it.

Just caught up in this thread and replying to this from a few pages back.

Learn how to use Microsoft's USMT. If the user's old computer is still running (and their profile isn't hosed up to begin with), you can migrate it from the old machine to the new one and have to configure very little one they are logged in to the new machine.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

stubblyhead posted:

Is sha1 broken too?
Well it's been considered broken for about 10 years. I think it was last year someone successfully demonstrated a collision attack against it.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
A user today sent a ticket asking that their keyboard be cleaned or replaced. They're the only ones who have used it since it was issued. I promptly went to their desk and told them to clean their own loving keyboard. Ticket resolved.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Chickenwalker posted:

A user today sent a ticket asking that their keyboard be cleaned or replaced. They're the only ones who have used it since it was issued. I promptly went to their desk and told them to clean their own loving keyboard. Ticket resolved.

drat goti, you bold. I don't think I would ever 1:1 user's keyboard or mouse but if you have management's backing to be "firm" like that have at it.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

incoherent posted:

drat goti, you bold. I don't think I would ever 1:1 user's keyboard or mouse but if you have management's backing to be "firm" like that have at it.

At a place I used to work at the local deployment person adamantly refused to do any cleaning. Employees / Contractors would turn their filthy laptops back in, and she'd reimage them and hand them back out to someone else.

I didn't mind using company time to clean it myself, kind of an annoying stance to take though on their end.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

PBS posted:

At a place I used to work at the local deployment person adamantly refused to do any cleaning. Employees / Contractors would turn their filthy laptops back in, and she'd reimage them and hand them back out to someone else.

I didn't mind using company time to clean it myself, kind of an annoying stance to take though on their end.

That's loving gross. I'd be embarrassed to give out a keyboard or laptop that was dirty from another user. I always clean that poo poo with wipes.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I don't know what I'd do if I got offered a filthy laptop.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

GreenNight posted:

That's loving gross. I'd be embarrassed to give out a keyboard or laptop that was dirty from another user. I always clean that poo poo with wipes.

Lucky the keyboards were generally new. Though there were some shared workspaces with some really gross keyboards. (I had to buy my own wireless mouse/keyboard to avoid this)

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't know what I'd do if I got offered a filthy laptop.

Smile and say thanks. Some people just aren't worth pissing off. She was annoying to deal with, but everything would have been much more so if she'd particularly disliked me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

flosofl posted:

Well it's been considered broken for about 10 years. I think it was last year someone successfully demonstrated a collision attack against it.

As long as it's salted and keystretched it doesn't really matter what algorithm (within reason) you use, right? Not that there's any reason not to just use sha256 anyway.

https://crackstation.net/hashing-security.htm (this is for passwords but I imagine the principle is the same)

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

PBS posted:

We clean keyboards when there's turnover from one user to another or gear is pulled back into inventory. But if I issue you something it's your responsibility to maintain it until you leave the company. I'll be damned if you're going to eat Cheetos over your keyboard every day and then send a ticket asking me to come clean it for you like I'm the loving maid. My job title is not rear end Wiper General.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Chickenwalker posted:

We clean keyboards when there's turnover from one user to another or gear is pulled back into inventory. But if I issue you something it's your responsibility to maintain it until you leave the company. I'll be damned if you're going to eat Cheetos over your keyboard every day and then send a ticket asking me to come clean it for you like I'm the loving maid. My job title is not rear end Wiper General.

Lol, I wish some of the keyboards I've seen only had cheetos in them.

My old lead's keyboard was the most disgusting thing I'd ever seen in my life. Full of various crumbs, and the entire thing was coated in random mystery stains.

I'm pretty sure they'll throw that one out when he moves on.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Data Graham posted:

As long as it's salted and keystretched it doesn't really matter what algorithm (within reason) you use, right? Not that there's any reason not to just use sha256 anyway.

https://crackstation.net/hashing-security.htm (this is for passwords but I imagine the principle is the same)
I think you've vastly misunderstood what people were talking about.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Data Graham posted:

What does "salted and keystretched" mean in the context of validating a file's integrity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I guess the principle isn't the same then, never mind.

(I thought the hashes generated from the ISO images would be done using the same techniques as passwords and the same mitigations against false collisions.)

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 28, 2016

• Locked thread