Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Josh Lyman posted:

Any recommendations for weight loss/calorie tracking apps? Gonna try to be disciplined over the next 2 months.
MyFitnessPal is really handy and what I used personally. Any time I hear a friend is starting to track their calories, MFP always seems to be the one they've picked, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

Any recommendations for weight loss/calorie tracking apps? Gonna try to be disciplined over the next 2 months.

MyFitnessPal

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
MyFitnessPal

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

MyFitnessPal works very well.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Josh Lyman posted:

What happens when the 2 months are up? Going to let it all hang out?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

What happens when the 2 months are up? Going to let it all hang out?

That's when the execution is scheduled

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

MFP is great and I've lost more weight than I planned using it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

dik-dik posted:

MFP is great and I've lost more weight than I planned using it.
There are many options available for dangerously underweight individuals like yourself.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hey, so I updated to the ios10 beta, and when trying to download netflix to my ipad it won't do it. I thought it was probably a beta issue, but trying to download it on itunes on my PC also doesn't work. Anyone else having similar issues with the app store or is it something on my end?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Somethings up with the App Store. Netflix tweeted they're working on it. Hangouts won't download for me either.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, there's a few apps I've noticed in the last few days that won't update. Usually it's cleared up for me the next day.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I had that problem with snapchat too. It fixed itself after a restart.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
pcalc is finally going to be useful:

https://vimeo.com/174542509

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

PFlats posted:

loving lol. I like pcalc and support them in whatever....silly ventures they may pursue.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Can anyone recommend an app that will track all the kilometres I have walked over the past month/year? I have all the daily data stored in the health app, but no app I download seems to be able to add it up and tell me that I've walked (n)km in the last year.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Which podcast app supports password protected podcasts officially? Overcast, despite being super good and awesome has a problem with protected podcasts for some reason for me. I normally don't see them for hours after they have been published or sometimes, not at all. I've sent off a note to the developer like 2 months ago regarding it, but haven't seen any changes since then and I'm ready to move on.

I will miss Smart Speed. :negative:

Edit: I'm good, suddenly remembered Downcast can do it fine.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 18, 2016

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

PFlats posted:

What's the best Calculator app? I've been using PCalc Lite since iPad 1's launch :stare:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Can anyone recommend a free iPad calendar app that does instant push from Google calendar instead of manual refresh? I've already double booked myself at work once because my iPad calendar was out of date.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Revol posted:

Can anyone recommend a free iPad calendar app that does instant push from Google calendar instead of manual refresh? I've already double booked myself at work once because my iPad calendar was out of date.
The default calendar app doesn't take too long to refresh from Google for me and it definitely isn't manual. How far out of date was your iPad calendar?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Anyone know of a Safari ad blocker that works on older iPads and iPhones? I use BlockBear on my newer iOS devices but nothing seems to support iPad 2 and iPhone 5.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

None will support iPad 2 or iPhone 5 since content blockers are only available on 64-bit devices.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

eightysixed posted:

What's the best Calculator app? I've been using PCalc Lite since iPad 1's launch :stare:

I still use Pcalc, but I bought it to support the dev.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

eightysixed posted:

You are already using the best calculator app.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

None will support iPad 2 or iPhone 5 since content blockers are only available on 64-bit devices.

Ok. I had a feeling. Thanks!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Housh posted:

Ok. I had a feeling. Thanks!
There's ones that work off a proxy file but I'm not sure if they still work. I remember Ghostery had some caveats about theirs, otherwise I used o think Weblock for a while before content blockers were a thing.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Anyone here use Automatic's 2nd gen? Have a friend who said the first was good albeit very mediocre and I kinda am eager to know if the second is any better/reliable.

https://www.automatic.com/home/

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

Anyone here use Automatic's 2nd gen? Have a friend who said the first was good albeit very mediocre and I kinda am eager to know if the second is any better/reliable.

https://www.automatic.com/home/
I have one that I stopped using cause it caused bluetooth audio issues. One "solution" there someone found is it's fine if you switch wifi off on the phone :iiam:, worked for me but I just got over doing it every time getting in and out of the car. Other than that it was alright, it was nice seeing car trips and stuff, although I also do general location tracking with my phone with Moves anyway. I never had any car issues that the Automatic app or OBD Fusion caught afaik so I can't say too much about the diagnostic stuff.

For performance uses (i.e. live OBD data) it's ok, if a bit slow latency wise, but I have no point of comparison really, according to this Harry's LapTimer page it refreshes at 5Hz. I think the biggest issue I have with it feature wise is that it seems kinda limited, like there's stuff that can be tweaked but Automatic doesn't allow it...granted cause it's the type of poo poo that can cause issues afaik. Like for my car (Mini, also applies to BMWs) there's a crapload of settings that's normally only for dealers/auto shops to mess with (I just want to tweak some display and default settings myself), and deeper diagnostic access if that ever comes up.

If you want to try it I can sell you mine for I dunno, $50 shipped?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

japtor posted:

I have one that I stopped using cause it caused bluetooth audio issues. One "solution" there someone found is it's fine if you switch wifi off on the phone :iiam:, worked for me but I just got over doing it every time getting in and out of the car. Other than that it was alright, it was nice seeing car trips and stuff, although I also do general location tracking with my phone with Moves anyway. I never had any car issues that the Automatic app or OBD Fusion caught afaik so I can't say too much about the diagnostic stuff.

For performance uses (i.e. live OBD data) it's ok, if a bit slow latency wise, but I have no point of comparison really, according to this Harry's LapTimer page it refreshes at 5Hz. I think the biggest issue I have with it feature wise is that it seems kinda limited, like there's stuff that can be tweaked but Automatic doesn't allow it...granted cause it's the type of poo poo that can cause issues afaik. Like for my car (Mini, also applies to BMWs) there's a crapload of settings that's normally only for dealers/auto shops to mess with (I just want to tweak some display and default settings myself), and deeper diagnostic access if that ever comes up.

The 2nd gen? Hell yeah. PM me.

e: Just got home and saw you don't have PMs. Email me at darrenwarding[at]gmail

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 22, 2016

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

japtor posted:

Did you die?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

Did you die?
Nope :toot:, just busy all day yesterday and couldn’t check the thread.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

japtor came through in the clutch. Thanks, man!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Hey, I know we've talked about password managers to death, well, Lastpass exploit. It's already been patched, but anyone using autofill on desktop should be changing their passwords now (and turning autofill off are you g-d kidding me?). Probably not the day to send me an ad e-mail Subject: Don't lock your loved ones out Body: Secure your digital will blah blah blah.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kaizoku posted:

Hey, I know we've talked about password managers to death, well, Lastpass exploit. It's already been patched, but anyone using autofill on desktop should be changing their passwords now (and turning autofill off are you g-d kidding me?). Probably not the day to send me an ad e-mail Subject: Don't lock your loved ones out Body: Secure your digital will blah blah blah.

Thanks for this!

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Anyone use burner or similar app? I need a temporary number that can text for a week or so.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Google Voice with a new account is what I'd use - or just your main. Whatever you wanna do, really.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?
Any good cross-platform eBook readers other than the Kindle app? I can't read PDFs on the Kindle app so it's basically worthless for what I need it for.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Vanellope posted:

Any good cross-platform eBook readers other than the Kindle app? I can't read PDFs on the Kindle app so it's basically worthless for what I need it for.

Marvin used to get thrown around as a suggestion a while ago.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
What do you mean by 'cross-platform'?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Marvin is best on iOS, not sure how cross-platform it is tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

cbirdsong posted:

What do you mean by 'cross-platform'?

Available for both Android and iOS.