Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Cartoon posted:

1/ The Shield (You can judge me now).
2/ Breaking Bad.
3/ The West Wing.
4/ The Wire.

Deadwood is 1870's West Wing except Bartlet is a murderous whore-monger whose "pull to center" is less half-measure legislation and more accidentally-being-a-human-being sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Deadwood guys hate government

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

myron cope posted:

Also I think Hrishikesh Hirway is very good at podcasting. I like Song Exploder but I very rarely know the music on it so I don't listen a lot. The episode about The Long Winters - The Commander Thinks Aloud is very very good.

That episode made me cry on the bus lol. It's mostly bands I already love but even when it's not I use it as an opportunity to check out a new tune in depth.

Apparently Hrishi gets "Richard K. Sherway" a lot

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
I would also vote for Deadwood. They may hate the government, but it is a character driven show about people with differing goals trying to do poo poo. I love it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Joshua Molina being a host is fantastic. He's able to e-mail questions to Sorkin and gets replies very quickly. Like about how Marlee Matlin was cast.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Paper With Lines posted:

I would also vote for Deadwood. They may hate the government, but it is a character driven show about people with differing goals trying to do poo poo. I love it.

They hate government and inexplicably also get into the business of forming one for the sake of protecting their own self interests. There is no more American show.

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
How about The Good Wife? The first five seasons are on par with Sorkin's West Wing. Compelling case-of-the-week legal stories and really engaging season-long political arcs. Definitely more cynical than The West Wing but the same kind of smart, wonky writing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If there was ever a crossover West Wing/Good Wife episode, Alicia and her crew would be the cackling villains.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

sparksbloom posted:

How about The Good Wife? The first five seasons are on par with Sorkin's West Wing. Compelling case-of-the-week legal stories and really engaging season-long political arcs. Definitely more cynical than The West Wing but the same kind of smart, wonky writing.

The show went downhill when Josh Charles left but otherwise I agree, it's probably the closest show to the West Wing produced in the last decade.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"...And so he called to ask why you're sending his money to Mexico."

*beat*

"Does he want me to call back?"

Normally lymansplaining shits me but the mexico bailout and donna's textile working 48 year old kills me.

E:Toby - "I'm Bruce Wayne, you're Dick something" my new favorite line

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 18, 2016

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

GaussianCopula posted:

(The Good Wife) went downhill when Josh Charles left but otherwise I agree, it's probably the closest show to the West Wing produced in the last decade.

Agreed. It's worth watching, with the expectation that the ending isn't on the level of Friday Night Lights, The Shield, The Wire, etc.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Doing my rewatch spurred by, and now far beyond, the podcast.

Just got to S2E19 Bad Moon Rising and am just reminded that my favorite character is Oliver Babish and my favorite moment in the whole series is when he smashes the dictaphone.

Also a great Josh/Donna 'splaining and call back to Sam's back story.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Sup 2nd season rewatch buddy! I just finished my first rewatch of seasons 1 and 2 and I think I actually like the show more on a re-watch. I'm certainly more susceptible to Sorkin's cheese and tear jerkers. :argh: I certainly did miss a few details on a first viewing and that wasn't true of The Wire (for me). I'm even warming to Joey Lucas, who I really didn't like first time around.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I can't watch the season 3 finale. I just don't have it in me.

Also, Donnatelling :allears:

Finally, the new episode is good because it manages to criticise Sorkin's self righteous always right protagonists but also acknowledge the great stuff in the ep.

e:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 23, 2016

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What's the official position on Season 5? Shutdown and the Supremes, then google the last episode and move on to the sunny pastures of season six?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

LordPants posted:

What's the official position on Season 5? Shutdown and the Supremes, then google the last episode and move on to the sunny pastures of season six?

Only on a rewatch.

I feel it's worth watching the first time through.

Even bad by West Wing standards is still pretty good.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
It's still decent television but you just have to imagine that the actors drew their dialogue and motivations from a hat each week.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Try this- watch one episode a week. Watch them all. Binging is evil.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I am in love with the podcast by the way. It's really good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The worst episodes of West Wing are better than 99% of things on the air today.

Also I didn't ever see this posted. It's a fun watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGSBHODuaUc

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

myron cope posted:

I am in love with the podcast by the way. It's really good.

Yeah I really can't believe how excellent it is - it's easily become my most anticipated podcast each week. Josh and Hrishi are insightful and well prepared and they're re always really good at articulating their thoughts about what does/doesn't work about each episode. Plus the banter is top notch and the production quality is astounding.

Also they did a decent job of keeping their composure/sanity around Richard Schiff who is probably the most insufferable gasbag on the planet so they deserve a medal just for that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The documentary episode in season 5 is my least favorite WW episode ever. It's John Wells desperately going back to his bag of tricks. It was awesome and unique back when he did it on ER like a decade prior, but by the time he did it on WW it was tired. Also CJ has this gigantic staff that we never see again.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 29, 2016

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mu Zeta posted:

The documentary episode in season 5 is my least favorite WW episode ever. It's John Wells desperately going back to his bag of tricks. It was awesome and unique back when he did it on ER like a decade prior, but by the time he did it on WW it was tired. Also CJ has this gigantic staff that we never see again.

Also the line at the end about how CJ was the only woman to serve two terms as press secretary, only for them to poo poo on that in the very next episode.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Goddamn I forgot, and this is like my fourth run through, how good the campaign episodes are in season 6.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I know Hollywood is a bit of a closed industry, and it was a near contemporary timeline, but the sheer number of minor character parts that are people who also appear (as minor parts) in Buffy and Angel is astonishing on a re-watch.

EDIT AusPol colonising West Wing :psyduck:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

LordPants posted:

My viewing protocol:

Watch seasons 1-4 in their entirety. Skip Isaac and Ishmael if you want.
Watch season 5 until the end of the shutdown arc, then watch as much of season 5 as you can until you get bored and/or irritated.
Skip ahead and watch The Supremes.
Skip ahead to when the Gaza arc starts and finish season 5.
Finish the Gaza arc in season 6 and continue watching as much of season 6 as you can handle.
Skip ahead to the episodes where Jimmy Smits and Alan Alda are introduced.
For the rest of season 6, only watch the campaign-centered episodes. This, incidentally, is my absolute favorite string of episodes in the entire series.
Watch season 7 in its entirety.

EDIT: Actually, looking at season 6 on IMDB there's some good stuff in there like the China two-parter. Maybe watch all of Season 6 until Opposition Research (where the primaries story starts) and then from there skip the remaining White House-exclusive episodes until season 7.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 1, 2016

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Officially, you watch all the seasons and find enjoyment in spending time with characters that you love.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cartoon posted:

I know Hollywood is a bit of a closed industry, and it was a near contemporary timeline, but the sheer number of minor character parts that are people who also appear (as minor parts) in Buffy and Angel is astonishing on a re-watch.

EDIT AusPol colonising West Wing :psyduck:

Yeah Jack Conoley (That demon from the past or whatever in Angel) is great when he's like some General. :allears:

ninjahedgehog posted:

EDIT: Actually, looking at season 6 on IMDB there's some good stuff in there like the China two-parter. Maybe watch all of Season 6 until Opposition Research (where the primaries story starts) and then from there skip the remaining White House-exclusive episodes until season 7.

Yeah that's how we ended up doing it. I really like the early season 6 episodes with Josh and the SUV and stuff like that early on, but man when the primary episodes start that's loving money right there and gently caress everything else.

Also I'm a big baby but man, I seriously get something in my eye during Santos' speech about why he's going to campaign in Texas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVRtaeUh30c

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sparksbloom posted:

Thank you for this recommendation!

I've been power binging it for the last week and am already up to S03E19. It's just surprisingly good.

And the guest stars are just a who's who from The Wire! Weird, actually.

But thanks.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

LordPants posted:

Yeah that's how we ended up doing it. I really like the early season 6 episodes with Josh and the SUV and stuff like that early on, but man when the primary episodes start that's loving money right there and gently caress everything else.

You know, I'm going to amend that slightly and add A Good Day, which isn't a primary episode but does have Jimmy Smits. In case anyone needed a refresher it's the one where Toby meets with the kids who want to lower the voting age and Santos hosts a sleepover in the Capitol for the House Democrats so they can vote on a stem-cell research bill. Good stuff.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

In the most recent episode of the podcast, they mention how the episode they're watching, 20 Hour in L.A., has something in it that is contradicted by a later episode. But they also said they won't say what it is, because they want to stay spoiler free. Anyone have any idea what they're referring to?

ninjahedgehog posted:

You know, I'm going to amend that slightly and add A Good Day, which isn't a primary episode but does have Jimmy Smits. In case anyone needed a refresher it's the one where Toby meets with the kids who want to lower the voting age and Santos hosts a sleepover in the Capitol for the House Democrats so they can vote on a stem-cell research bill. Good stuff.

Yes, this is a really good episode that i had completely forgotten about until my most recent rewatch.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
A Good Day also features the invasion of Canada, right? Basically it's an episode with three B-plots (and a C-plot), but those three happen to be some of my favorite three B-plots in the whole series. I was telling someone, once, about why they should watch The West Wing once and drew reference to each of them in turn, thinking, at the time, that they were from seperate episodes. It blew my mind when I circled back around on a rewatch and found them consolidated.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Big Block of Cheese days are the best days

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think the main podcast host guy is going to be pleasantly surprised by seasons 6/7. The campaign episodes really are good and Alan Alda totally earned his Emmy.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

X-O posted:

This is loving awesome

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Basticle posted:

This is loving awesome

Especially so if you want to see everyone torment Joshua Malina.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

After Melissa Fitzgerald gets done talking about her work with Justice for Vets:

"And Josh has a podcast!"

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

X-O posted:

This video begs to differ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7H_L5cYkg8

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Naylenas posted:

After Melissa Fitzgerald gets done talking about her work with Justice for Vets:

"And Josh has a podcast!"

And Brad says "as oppposed to a career" to which Josh has some sort of sick burn he replies with that cracks everybody up. Ive listened to it 10 times and i cant make out what Josh says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Basticle posted:

And Brad says "as oppposed to a career" to which Josh has some sort of sick burn he replies with that cracks everybody up. Ive listened to it 10 times and i cant make out what Josh says.

"I'm on a hit show set in DC - like Brad was, 16 years ago."

• Locked thread