Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

VoodooXT posted:

Tiny Furniture

Grand Prize Winner right here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

VoodooXT posted:

Tiny Furniture

Yeah, I remember that backlash.

I also remember people were upset cause they passed on acquiring another popular art film that got released that year for Tiny Furniture, at least I think.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Without googling what Tiny Furniture was, I was wondering what it could even be to cause such ire, but then I saw it at Barnes and Noble a few minutes ago and it became abundantly clear.

I picked up Riot in Cell Block 11, but now I'm thinking I should have got Paths of Glory instead. Did I make the right call?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Detective No. 27 posted:

Without googling what Tiny Furniture was, I was wondering what it could even be to cause such ire, but then I saw it at Barnes and Noble a few minutes ago and it became abundantly clear.

I picked up Riot in Cell Block 11, but now I'm thinking I should have got Paths of Glory instead. Did I make the right call?

I have not seen Riot, but I can tell you now that you made the wrong call

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Kubrick is one of my all time favorites but for some reason every time I went to B&N (six times or so) I would pick up both The Killing and Paths of Glory and then put them back down again. If the Shining, Strangelove, Eyes Wide Shut, and 2001 are some of my favorite films, am I being an idiot by never watching these two?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I have not seen Riot, but I can tell you now that you made the wrong call

Aw well. I'll either exchange or pick it up this weekend.

Also, that 20% coupon posted a page or two back didn't stack with the Criterion sale. The guy at the register said a member email coupon might show up tomorrow though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

blue squares posted:

Kubrick is one of my all time favorites but for some reason every time I went to B&N (six times or so) I would pick up both The Killing and Paths of Glory and then put them back down again. If the Shining, Strangelove, Eyes Wide Shut, and 2001 are some of my favorite films, am I being an idiot by never watching these two?

Paths of Glory is Kubrick's best film and The Killing is his most underrated, so you should definitely watch both.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

blue squares posted:

They're both really good and come with excellent extras. Neither are as sensational as his post-Spartacus movies but Paths of Glory is a momentous war film and The Killing is a zippy, expedient noir that still has a real bite today.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Paths of Glory is one of the top 5 war films of all time. Its certainly a lot better than Full Metal Jacket, in my opinion.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Unknownmass posted:

Have not seen anything over the last few pages but are any Criterion's going OOP sometime soon?

None likely for once. They're probably a lot more careful about licensing now after all those StudioCanal titles went OOP.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some really old DVD-only titles to go OOP eventually.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I'm so broke this month I'm just going for the one upgrade I feel I have to have... Carnival of Souls

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Egbert Souse posted:

None likely for once. They're probably a lot more careful about licensing now after all those StudioCanal titles went OOP.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some really old DVD-only titles to go OOP eventually.

Head seems to be

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I really wish they'd do a blu with decent features for The Last Wave. Are there a lot of releases in print that don't have a blu by now?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I was looking at the breaking the Waves blu Ray today and I started wanting more Von trier stuff. I would really love The Idiots and Dancer in the Dark.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Besides Dr. Strangelove, is there another Criterion with George C. Scott?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

The_Rob posted:

I was looking at the breaking the Waves blu Ray today and I started wanting more Von trier stuff. I would really love The Idiots and Dancer in the Dark.

They're both great, as is Europa and Dogville. Nymphomaniac is my favorite by far, it's like an adaptation of a book the Marquis de Sade never wrote. The pointedly moral segments intercut with their back-and-forth on religion and morals is so literary, it's a lot of fun.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I never turn off a movie once I've started it but I couldn't even make it 20 minutes into Tiny Furniture, and I consider Girls to be a pretty excellent show.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

idk but twilight time just opened preorders for their blu of Hardcore, which you should absolutely watch if you're a GCS fan

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Rusty Staub posted:

idk but twilight time just opened preorders for their blu of Hardcore, which you should absolutely watch if you're a GCS fan

I had never heard of this store. What makes their releases worth $30?

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

not much honestly, aside from that they often pick movies where you're like "oh drat, somebody bothered to show this some love in 2016"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Detective No. 27 posted:

Anatomy of a murder! You might like it if you are just a humble country lawyer trying to do the best you can.

The_Rob posted:

Antichrist is pretty great, its uncomfortable as gently caress to watch but you will have a reaction to it.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 28, 2016

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Theres a new clue that could be upstream color or bringing up baby.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Ineffiable posted:

Theres a new clue that could be upstream color or bringing up baby.

What clue could possibly be those two movies

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Fellini's Roma (1972) ("Row, ma")

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

but also maybe Pasolini's Mamma Roma

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's not Celine And Julie Go Boating but I wish it was.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Rusty Staub posted:

but also maybe Pasolini's Mamma Roma

Yes please. I watched Mamma Roma recently and loved it. I would love a blu Ray.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Frances Ha remains to this day the only Criterion that I've never watched all the way through, and also the only one I've ever taken out of my collection. It was an unmitigated piece of trash.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

I, Butthole posted:

Frances Ha remains to this day the only Criterion that I've never watched all the way through, and also the only one I've ever taken out of my collection. It was an unmitigated piece of trash.

say that to my face pal, see what happens

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Slate Action posted:

Fellini's Roma (1972) ("Row, ma")

Baby's Day Out, director's cut

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Baby's Day Out, director's cut

:worship:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

I, Butthole posted:

I really love Noah Baumbach a lot so I cannot consign on this.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I found Walkabout to be quite boring and didn't finish it

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

blue squares posted:

I found Walkabout to be quite boring and didn't finish it

A blind buy I regret.

Also didn't care for Friends of Eddie Coyle but I've been meaning to give it another go. I think I was expecting it to be like Dog Day Afternoon.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

As a kid I kept thinking the sequel Baby goes to China was gonna be made. Still waiting for that and Super Mario Bros 2.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Here's the Criterions that didn't make it to Egbert's Permament LibraryTM

Rushmore - I love Wes Anderson, but this one rubbed me the wrong way. Might give it another chance eventually.
By Brakhage - I really tried to get into his work. While I think Window Water Baby Moving and Mothlight are two of the most beautiful films ever made, his films are simply too much for me. Ended up buying the first DVD volume and later the Blu set. I want to give them another chance. (Lost my job in 2014 and sold a big chunk of my video collection to pay bills).
Last Year at Marienbad - I liked it, but didn't care to see it again (also part of the 2014 purge)
Pierrot le Fou - Probably my favorite Godard besides Breathless, but... (another 2014 purge casualty)
The Man Who Fell to Earth - Sort of liked it since Bowie is always great, but I hated it after a second viewing recently. (2014 purge)
The Tales of Hoffmann - Saw right after The Red Shoes and Black Narcissus, so I was quite disappointed. Pretty, just not my thing. Especially since I love all the other P&P films I've seen.
Repulsion - Meh, not quite my thing.

I don't care how bad off I ever get, The Third Man and Army of Shadows will have to be pried out of my cold dead hands.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
By the way, do any criterion disks have easter eggs? I remember something about the Solaris disk having a hidden photo gallery.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I can't finish last year at Marienbad. I thought night train to Munich was incredibly average. The game isn't watchable more than once.
Kind hearts and coronets owns bones.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Cloks posted:

I can't finish last year at Marienbad. I thought night train to Munich was incredibly average. The game isn't watchable more than once.
Kind hearts and coronets owns bones.

The end of The Game ruined it for me.

Europa is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Walkabout is one of my favorites. Last Year at Marienbad is so beautiful, but it's my least favorite out 50 or so I have.