Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Mister Sinewave posted:

Whenever people bitch about how Food Chain Magnate looks I know what it's like to to be able to e.g. see past an anime theme because it doesn't bother me one bit, if anything it helps me think.

I get why people bitch. FCM is a pretty expensive game, and the components are not of a quality that most people have come to expect from a $100 board game. Yes, this is because this is from a boutique publisher who expected to do small print runs, which drive their costs up.

There is an argument to be made that people's expectations may be unrealistic, but I can get games with big plastic minis and poo poo for the same price as FCM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

jivjov posted:

First expansion for 7 Wonders Duel, Pantheon, has been announced.

I'm not that enthusiastic about the need for an expansion but this doesn't look like it'll overcomplicate things. Basically it introduces two features: divine blessings are new entirely and grand temples replace guilds. I wonder if it all fits in the original box?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I wonder if it all fits in the original box?

That's my only hold-up as well. Probably with a custom insert if nothing else.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Where's the best place to pick up Scythe from?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm not that enthusiastic about the need for an expansion but this doesn't look like it'll overcomplicate things. Basically it introduces two features: divine blessings are new entirely and grand temples replace guilds. I wonder if it all fits in the original box?

The cards and tokens definitely will, but the new board might not. Even with the Broken Token insert.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Thanks! and no worries on that front, we're about halfway through our own game so i'm good up to a point :v:

On another point is there any chance that MoM 2nd edition might go on sale shortly after release? 100 is bit of a high price.

Unless there's price-fixing, I would expect MoM 2E to go for around $60-70 online, like most of FFG's $100 games.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Played Scythe for the second time tonight, this time with my copy. This time it was three rather that four but we played it in around two hours and it felt completely different we actually under a turn limit and had to moderate our bottom row actions so recruit bonuses didn't push someone into a position where they could end the game.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

JohnnySavs posted:

I first played Food Chain Magnate with owner-laminated player aids to mark milestones with dry-erase markers and it worked well. He just went to a Staples print center or something like that. I don't know how hellacious laminating a ton of components would be without access to the laminating equipment would be. Is contact paper still a thing? You could put down a sheet, put down your components, put down another sheet to sandwich it together, put a heavy book on it for a few hours and trim away the excess.

al-azad posted:

Laminating sheets are still a thing and recommended if you're doing chits so you can cut them yourself. Whole sheets should be taken to Staples or whatever, it's pretty cheap.

For one-sided round chits I'd recommend gluing them to cardstock and using a hole punch (maybe $5 at a craft shop) to punch it out for a cheap two-ply token. Square chits you can do the same but get a ruled paper cutter.

fake edit: Jeeze I sound like Rutibex

These are great, thanks. Is this something that is easy to screw up? I am not the most precise human.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Alris posted:

Preorder from Cool Stuff. The retail copy hasn't been released yet (GenCon maybe?) so you can't actually "buy" it except for second hand copies.

EvilChameleon posted:

These are great, thanks. Is this something that is easy to screw up? I am not the most precise human.

Not really. Laminate doesn't actually bond to the material, it basically creates an airtight seal around it. Using pouches will be difficult with tiny chits and tokens but as long as it's properly sealed you can cut the excess.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 28, 2016

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Yoshimo posted:

What games would scratch the itch of Junta and its political back stabbing and deal making, especially with the "handing out Cabinet positions" thing? We just can't be assed with, well, the rest of Junta.

Are you talking Junta or Junta: Viva el Presedente?

'Cause Viva el Presidente is literally Junta only the whole "maybe you'll start a lovely mini-wargame" part is gone. You do the money thing, then you get one die for each army you have and you hide it inside a little box shield that looks suspiciously like an army truck. The die face you set on top is where the die is going: if it's your mansion it defends your mansion, if it's 6 it defends el presidente, anything else, it attacks that general (possibly el presidente). Everyone reveals, die go stand in front of assigned mansions and do a simple roll-off battle. There's some tricksy stuff for el presidente and for failed attacks on el presidente, but it's otherwise the same feel with less... ugh that awful wargame. Oh yeah and a better ending condition (first to build all the sweet poo poo in your mansion, including the tiger cage).

Most importantly, it comes with a cheap pair of sunglasses for el presidente to wear.

Das Doppelganger
Dec 22, 2012

SirFelixCat posted:

Really been enjoying out plays of Fields of Arle. Scythe coming up next this weekend. Curious to see if the game lives up to the hype.

How about you tell us what your expectations are based on whatever 'hype' you may have heard or read?

I understand the general use of the term hype, but I can't tell what that means to YOU as to expectations. We played twice on Sunday and just re-reading the rule book to refresh made me recall play testing it. If you're setting this up in your mind as the game of all games, the grail of gaming, gaming gone to 11...don't spend your hours on it.

Seriously.

If you want a pretty solid Euro, I think you'll be happy to have this on your shelf over the years.

If you were hoping on epic battles, sell while the selling is good.

But seriously folks; FCM. I can't get enough of it right now. I'm hoping it sits better after several than the 4th cheeseburger....

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan

EvilChameleon posted:

I received no info about shipping, but I've been told by others that shipping is usually 2 weeks ish? (assuming you are in North America) Does his reply mean he hasn't shipped the latest orders yet?

He's on holiday and will be back next Tuesday. He assured me he would ship all the orders then.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I think I have six games of FCM under my belt now and I'm still trying new things! (See: restaurant building in the PbP)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alris posted:

If you decide you want the bells and whistles, the Stonemaier Games website as of Very Soon.

You want the bells and whistles, by the way, or at least some of them. The coins and improved resources are great cosmetic boosts, having more Encounters, Objectives and Factory cards is good for variety, and if you can find a table big enough the extended board is surprisingly useful - there's barely room in a normal hex for three combat figures even before you take into account workers and resources.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Bells are good, Whistles are even better. I'll check it out, thanks.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

malkav11 posted:

Unless there's price-fixing, I would expect MoM 2E to go for around $60-70 online, like most of FFG's $100 games.

There is, indeed, price fixing, but mostly because Asmodee hates online retail for one reason or another. It's "only" 85 on CSI, for example.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

gently caress Asmodee

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
$85 is still cheaper than $100

But ideally wouldn't it be a good thing if brick and mortar game stores were able to compete with online retailers on price?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

jivjov posted:

But ideally wouldn't it be a good thing if brick and mortar game stores were able to compete with online retailers on price?

Asmodee's new rules are basically the same for physical retailers, involving stringent rules for tracking boxed copies and mandating your own online presence. It's stuff Wizards did years ago and then Games Workshop.

A merchant at Origins told me he couldn't discount Star Wars Rebellion for fear of Asmodee black listing him before leaning over and saying "75 bucks" and bagging the game under the table. I don't know if it was truth or theatrics but literally no merchant was selling Asmodee games for less than MSRP. I don't even recall Cool Stuff having scratch and dent copies of Asmodee distributed games.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

jivjov posted:

:lol: if you think the across he board price increases for online retailers encourages people to shop more at B&M shops. That's not a realistic view of the industry.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bottom Liner posted:

:lol: if you think the across he board price increases for online retailers encourages people to shop more at B&M shops. That's not a realistic view of the industry.

I meant that in more of a general sense, not specifically this policy.

I hate having to make a decision every time I buy a board game of "Do I drive 20 minutes to the FLGS or do I save anywhere between 20% and 60% by buying off Amazon/CoolStuff/etc".

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I agree with you there. My position is that Asmodee hasn't helped anyone but their own wallets. They've made it more expensive for people that only have online as an option and pissed off everyone else.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bottom Liner posted:

I agree with you there. My position is that Asmodee hasn't helped anyone but their own wallets. They've made it more expensive for people that only have online as an option and pissed off everyone else.

True, I tend to forget that there are many people who simply don't have an FLGS (although thankfully places like Target and Barnes & Noble are bringing at least a small selection of non-Milton-Bradley games to a wider audience).

That said, I think it could be argued that people shopping online have been getting an unfairly good deal in the past

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

jivjov posted:

That said, I think it could be argued that people shopping online have been getting an unfairly good deal in the past

Everyone could have ordered online, now we are all stuck with a higher rate.

In the end I support their right to do what they want. Just as I expect them to support my right to reduce or stop purchasing their games.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Ropes4u posted:

In the end I support their right to do what they want. Just as I expect them to support my right to reduce or stop purchasing their games.

At the rate they buy every other company... well, I hope you enjoy Foosball.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

At the rate they buy every other company... well, I hope you enjoy Foosball.

I can adjust, buy used, worst case do without. It isn't because I can't afford the cost it's because I don't support their business model.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Good thing I already spent way too much money on games, I hardly buy any now!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I bought all the good ones and now new stuff rarely excites me :(

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

For the Gencon folks, here's a pretty decent (?) geeklist for games to look for at Gencon:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/207593/most-anticipated-games-gen-con-2016

Looking at it makes it look like a pretty anemic Gencon.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I have some GMT stuff p500ed (Sekigahara, 1846, Unconditional Surrender) and Gloomhaven but there's nothing else I'm like super psyched for. I guess I'll probably buy Seafall? Maybe the new Vital?

What is there to be hype about?

e: also what the hell 1844/1854 is $85? Isn't like half of it mediocre?

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

GrandpaPants posted:

Last year it looked like a ton of stuff was waiting for Essen to release instead of Gencon. Also, with more titles going the Kickstarter route, the importance of Gencon for releases seems to be waning. Which may not be a terrible thing.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

jivjov posted:

Well...no. Because retail cannot compete with online on price, since their margins are lower and their expenses are higher. The math is just not going to work out that way unless forced. I don't think forcing it benefits the sellers in any real way, and it certainly doesn't benefit consumers.

A retail business has to find other ways to compete. In the case of gaming retail, the most successful strategy seems to be offering space to actually game in, possibly alongside food and drink.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

GrandpaPants posted:

For the Gencon folks, here's a pretty decent (?) geeklist for games to look for at Gencon:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/207593/most-anticipated-games-gen-con-2016

Tragedy Looper: Cosmic Evil isn't on the list, but that seems to be due to ZMAN's half-assed promotion. (Assuming they haven't pulled it from their GenCon releases.)

But yeah. This seems to be a lucky year to have to miss the convention.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Gutter Owl posted:

Tragedy Looper: Cosmic Evil isn't on the list, but that seems to be due to ZMAN's half-assed promotion. (Assuming they haven't pulled it from their GenCon releases.)

The promotion at least matches the (presumed) quality control.

Nique
May 18, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Finally played the game Caylus for the first time over the weekend...and now I own a copy of Caylus. Only played 2-player, and things got pretty salty, so I can't wait to play 4 or 5.

As others already said it's best with 2-3. I seem to recall the designer himself has come out to say that it was a mistake to include 5 player as an option, and it should be avoided.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Played my first game of Ora et Labora solo with the Irland variant.

Got 404 from the expected 500 points and could already tell during the game what I could have done better. Mostly timing and building placement issues and forgetting that the leftover buildings go on the neutral players board during the settlement phase (missed around 50 points that way).

It was kind of overwhelming at first but now knowing which buildings are coming up during the settlement phases will help a lot.

Really really liked it and I'm looking forward for another solo round or two.

Hopefully I can get my playgroup to try it.

Thanks everyone who recommended it.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Played Power Grid for the first time this week, I really liked it considering its quite old and possibly improved upon by now, but I can see why this could be seen as a game to replace Monopoly for people who need a gateway game. It was very close and a real brain burner.

We had a problem with the end game though. The rules say the game ends when someone has at least 17 cities. We're playing with 5, and it then says with 5 players end game is triggered by 15 connected cities. Which seems contrary, so does the 15 override the 17 (in which case why doesn't the rules just point you to the table rather than saying 17). Or is connected important, meaning you can trigger end game at 17 cities total or 15 joined up cities? Or does connected mean 'supplied with electricity' like it does elsewhere in the game. Can anyone confirm what the rule is here?

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

deadwing posted:

Yakkity Sax soundtrack for Escape next. It is the greatest

Escape w/ Yakety Sax is the best, not just for being hilarious, but because it's such a good strong musical change that everybody is immediately aware of the fact that they need to GET TO THE START GOD DAMMIT

oh and also the faint sounds of it still playing after the temple collapses is real good too

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Quick question, Twilight Struggle, Dungeon Petz or Fury of Dracula as a present for someone who's probably got too many games already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Fatty posted:

Quick question, Twilight Struggle, Dungeon Petz or Fury of Dracula as a present for someone who's probably got too many games already?
That's pretty diverse in terms of choices, what does he/she like?