Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Subaru accessory belts can be changed in about 5 minutes with like three bolts. It's one of the easiest things to do.

The tensioner bolts sure love to snap though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And the alternator tensioner is LH thread RUSTY BULLSHIT.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

And the alternator tensioner is LH thread RUSTY BULLSHIT.

Shouldn't be, I think only the AC tensioner bolt is?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Ehh, pick a direction and it'll come off eventually.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So you're agreeing there's rusty bullshit somewhere in every Subaru.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

So you're agreeing there's rusty bullshit somewhere in every Subaru.

poo poo, have you seen my Subarus? The rusty bullshit is on the exterior of every major body panel and most of the minor ones.

Also inside.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

lovely timing belt talk? Here's the procedure for the 928 timing belt - http://www.928intl.com/repair/T-belt1.pdf Estimated time doing it yourself the first time is 16-22 hours, after that it's around 12. Once you can get to everything it isn't bad at all sadly getting to everything means taking everything off the front of the engine.

It looks so easy when you don't have all the accessories, radiator, two fans, four belts and other poo poo in the way.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Yesterday I replaced a window regulator that had been broken for 2 years and a door mirror that some twat cyclist deliberately smashed off and today i gave it a wash for the first time in a long long time thank you and god bless

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Thrashed it. And ran it out of fuel. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdrFMwUNLC4

But it was fun! :derp:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I like that countdown clock in the upper-right corner of the video. I reminds me of those old arcade driving/racing games that made you feed it more coins if you didn't make it to the next checkpoint in 20 seconds.

I didn't watch to the end of the video - did you try to put quarters into the dashboard when you ran out of fuel?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cleaned the windows on the new car today, as the windscreen was unbelievably unclean on the inside, and looked like a mess when the windows fogged up. Also slapped a few Blipshift stickers on it.

Next up was removing the carbie from the 1965 Falcon. It's running a single barrel Autolite 1100 carbie on it, and it needs to be overhauled.

There's the old thing on the motor. Only had to remove two fuel lines, the choke cable, disconnect the throttle rod mechanism and undo two nuts. No pollution gear at all, no vacuum lines!

And there it is off the motor. It's so tiny for what it does, feels more like it should be on a small four cylinder motor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did an overdo oil change on the MS6. Got the car up and the oil drained only to discover that I could not get the cartridge cap off. None of my three types of oil wrenches worked and I don't own a set of channel locks big enough to fit around the cap. Ran to Wal-Mart, no channel locks bigger than what I own, bought a goofy looking FRAM filter wrench and that didn't work either. I was about to give up for the night when I remembered something someone posted here. I took the end of a ratchet strap, put it across the cap and then hammered the filter wrench on. Spun the ratchet and it popped loose.

So thanks to whomever posted that nifty friction trick.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Replaced the lovely battery and sanded/wire brushed that earth on the strut tower so the electricity now goes metal -> metal instead of corrosion -> paint. Slapped some vaseline on the top, job done. The car no-longer shits random trouble codes when I crank it. :)

The amount of crap that has to come out to remove the battery:

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Fitted new shocks and springs in the front. Bilstein B6 dampers and H&R springs. Still waiting for the rear shocks to get here before I replace them.

I don't think the damper is supposed to sink down like that:

Looking rather sorry without the struts:

Ready to be installed:

What a difference! The car has never driven this good!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
1972 International, 345 V-8.

I finished up connecting all the vacuum hoses (one) and tying off the fuel vent lines that aren't used, mounted the MAP sensor on a homemade bracket, and loomed some wires to make it look mo betta.

The truck is making a terrible noise, that changes with RPM, and it's too hot to diagnose it properly, especially since I suspect it's the water pump. I just finished replacing the carb with a TBI system from a Roadmaster. During the process I installed a knock sensor, which required draining the coolant. I drained it, sure, then I ran a lot of water through, then I used some powdered dishwasher detergent to clean while I ran more water through. It still only has water in it, I planned to let it run for a bit and drain it out and put in actual coolant.

I used a length of rubber fuel hose as a stethoscope to listen to the power steering pump, alternator, distributor, and various places on the motor, but never really found the source. The water pump is obviously a harder place to reach since it's behind a hand slicing death machine of a fan.

It didn't make the sound before I left to get gas but started soon after. Then it died like, a block from the gas station. I started it up and drove back home, and it died... right as I got home. I should have just got gas and let it die a little further from home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuIo3VcfY0Y

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Slung and I changed the water pump in an FWD SR20DE today :(

Here's how much access you get:

Here's the old pump, gently caress you:

I can't even blame the PO.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 31, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
What was even wrong with it? It looks fine. Bearing/seal?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Slung and I changed the water pump in an FWD SR20DE today :(

Here's how much access you get:

Here's the old pump, gently caress you:

I can't even blame the PO.

Ha try it in a 4WD turbo model with all sorts of other poo poo in the way.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kastein posted:

What was even wrong with it? It looks fine. Bearing/seal?

It was pissing out both weep holes like crazy and the bearing is audible from ten paces when I move it by hand. It also ate a belt.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

dissss posted:

Ha try it in a 4WD turbo model with all sorts of other poo poo in the way.

At least your sr20 is starting.

Spent the day trying to diagnose mine. Gets fuel, gets spark, even with a jump start it just won't run.

Getting over the import "lifestyle" (read: sorry boss I can't come in today my car is hosed yet again)

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

HandlingByJebus posted:

Thrashed it. And ran it out of fuel. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdrFMwUNLC4

But it was fun! :derp:

My neighbor is part of a south sound (i think) bmw car club and also tracks his z4 at the ridge i wonder if you two know each other.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Laserface posted:

At least your sr20 is starting.

Spent the day trying to diagnose mine. Gets fuel, gets spark, even with a jump start it just won't run.

Getting over the import "lifestyle" (read: sorry boss I can't come in today my car is hosed yet again)

You gently caress up your timing somehow?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
What did you do to your friend's ride today?

Friend brought me her 1998 Cherokee Sport because she said it needed a brake job and an aftermarket passenger seat installed.

Searched all over the car, no puzzle lock key. The PO had never seen it before in spite of him having the lift kit installed. gently caress. Oh well, time for a 12-point socket and a BFH:

They were only on the front two wheels. The rear two had mismatching lug nuts cuz I guess that's okay? Checked the brake pads, they're brand new. She thought she needed new brakes cuz the brakes were squishy. She didn't tell me that the brakes were squishy. Oh well, on to the passenger seat install...

Or not...

:stonk: The jackwagon that tried to take the seat out in the first place clearly took an angle grinder to the front two bolts when he couldn't get em out. Heads are mostly gone, but are just as much rusted to the bracket as anything else. The following was the closest thing to a "bolt" that was holding the seat in:

That sucker got rounded off immediately. Checked under the Jeep just for fun and found an oil spot on the floor that grew in front of my eyes, a sheared sway bar end link, and a spot on the lift kit where the tire is obviously rubbing. The oil leak was coming from the oil filter. I was able to tighten it two full turns by hand.

I gave the keys back, told her not to put anyone in the passenger seat under any circumstances, and to take it to the nearest auto parts store and get new lug nuts. She drove it to Canada the next day and in her travel pictures there's someone sitting in the passenger seat. :buddy:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

kastein posted:

I discovered the rust was too extensive to be worth installing the new trans, rear diff, balljoints and front struts, brake hoses, rear brakes, windshield, bumper beam, and door seals it needs and bought a significantly less rusty one with a fucky master cylinder and burnt out license plate lamp for 500 bucks instead.

Sawzall party this weekend I guess.

No sawzall party yet, using the one with the thrashed clutch, utterly rooted transmission (1/2/R still work as well as they did and just make bad noises in the process, the rest are trash), garbage body, garbage rear diff, and garbage rear wheel bearings to teach my fiance to drive standard, since it's easier to not stress out about roaching the clutch/synchros if they're already junk! :haw: We've driven up and down the street a bunch of times, once she can launch smoothly and get into second nicely we'll hit the road in the new DD with its still-functional transmission.

Noted features of new shitbox:
- swank rear end Pioneer DEH-P5000UB radio w/ USB, aux in, and satellite!
- engine and transmission mounts are nice and firm so the shifter doesn't thrash around as you drive
- wheelbearings aren't garbage
- brakes mushy, but serviceable
- rear diff is nice and quiet
- transmission is nice and quiet and shifts very nicely
- engine's got some kind of a funky clanking noise going on at cold idle but otherwise sounds fine. PO and I suspect that it is gudgeon pin noise or piston slap and since it's not rod knock I don't care anymore
- rear wiper motor was seized
- clutch was incredibly odd feeling. Almost like a light switch, resistance at first then it'd plummet to the floor past 50%. Very low engagement point. Sometimes stuck to the floor, had to ghetto rig the world's finest manual clutch pedal return handle, which some of you saw on snapchat several days ago. :banjo:
- custom dual-angle (cracked) left side mirror
- slight rust issue over rear fender arches
- license plate lamps were inoperable
- battery hold-down AWOL
- exhaust has several pinhole leaks. Debating just gobbing RTV or muffler butter on them to get it through inspection
- AC works without me having to refill it right off! :woop:
- it came with a bunch of random tools (3/8 craftsman ratchet, 10mm socket, tire plug kit, mini adjustable wrench, some screwdrivers, a woodworking chisel, and $2.20 in change) shoved into random pockets and storage binnacles. Score! $500 Forester is now $497.80 Forester.
- yellowed plastic headlamps. Anyone know if I can put 98-00 glass headlamp assemblies in a 01-02 Forester chassis without significant fuckery? I like my glass lenses.
- HVAC blower switch sometimes doesn't work on high setting unless you fiddle with it.
- MIL on for P0442, minor evap leak.

I already fixed the clutch yesterday (replaced master and slave, bled the hell out of them, it still gave me issues, unbolted the slave and held it at a different angle so the remaining air could escape through the bleed screw, now it works great!) and also slapped the license plate bulbs from the old Forester in it because they were there. And put a spare rear wiper motor in, so that works too. Need to cover up the minor rust to get through inspection, along with maybe bleeding the brakes.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I loving PASSED EMISSIONS FIRST TRY gently caress YEAH.

Last year took...19 (or 11) attempts.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Geirskogul posted:

My jeep was like that, then they did away with the rolling road test and it passes every time with just the tailpipe sniffer.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Replaced another door lock actuator (it's a Volvo :v:) and put on various missing trim bits from my junkyard run. Most of them weren't the right color but plastidip got it pretty close. Then I tried out the new ozone generator on the interior since it had a slight smell to it. It smells different (I waited overnight to drive it) but the old smell is gone, hopefully it will air out after a couple days and smell like nothing.

The ONLY problem left is that a bulb is burnt out for the heated seat switches. It's a pain in the rear end to pull the center stack with my aftermarket stereo (it's deep as hell and barely fits with all the wiring) so I'm not looking forward to fixing that. Still, not bad for having 151k on it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You gently caress up your timing somehow?

It was flooded to all gently caress and cold start tune was "problematic" as the tuner tells me. It's back in the shop for a few days to correct it.

1150cc injectors :v:

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Installed the greatest mod ever.

Horrible video to go with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IPvfEuu7jY

Get jealous, nerds.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jesus, what a camera that is.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Going old school with the gameboy color camera.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Man, I feel pretty lucky that I haven't heard a fart can like that in awhile.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

The exhaust is totally stock, I have no idea why the bf's phone recorded it so terribly on a Galaxy S6.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

God, I feel so lucky to live in a relatively lax area and have a 'guy' for inspections.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Because he texted it to you?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I got two rotor screws out of my rust belt Honda without using a grinder.

It was nice knowing you guys. I assume I'll be dead by lightning strike sometime this weekend

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Night Danger Moose posted:

Installed the greatest mod ever.

Horrible video to go with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IPvfEuu7jY

Get jealous, nerds.

Sick af

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Well my tuner gave my car back after getting a heap of fuel out of the engine. Cold start tune was not really set for the colder than normal temperatures we have had here in the mornings.

Pulled some fuel out of cold start tune for good measure.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Polished my headlights.
Before
Headlight Polishing 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

After
Headlight Polishing 4 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Not a huge difference, and I might try hitting them with the "STOP! Don't use the sandpaper until you've tried the basic polishing first" stuff also in the package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I installed test pipes in place of my secondary cats on the 13' Genesis Coupe 3.8

It went well for the 3 hours it took. I'm gonna JO with some PB Blaster now.