Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

sarmhan posted:

Why does that invalidate her? She spent her entire adult life in France, as the Queen, and queen mother/regent. While she didn't directly rule for very long, she was the main power behind the throne for decades, had a huge influence on French policy, and did a lot of patronage and building projects.
It's kinda insulting to suggest that she isn't French really.

Alright, my bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Not to mention that shitloads of monarchs reigned over places they weren't born in.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gort posted:

Not to mention that shitloads of monarchs reigned over places they weren't born in.

For example, Napoleon Bonaparte barely qualifies as being born in France - he was Corsican and famously had lovely, horrendously accented French.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

If you wanna get really technical, George Washington was born a british citizen and not a proper american. Obviously a terrible fit as the leader of the US back in V. :v:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'd place it up with them having William I as the English leader based around a strong military midgame. It works, but it's kind of weird.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm down with Firaxis looking outside the established box for leaders. Queen Christina for Sweden, please.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Why is Theo so loving fat?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Who?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Teddy, I assume.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

I'd place it up with them having William I as the English leader based around a strong military midgame. It works, but it's kind of weird.

Actually thinking on this more if you make his UA where castles act as courthouses that can rarely spawn knights he'd be really fun to play.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

As I suspected, the "Henry VIII leader portrait leak" was a total fake. It was a mockup done by a modder that someone ran with.
I really, really doubt we're getting multiple leaders per civ any time soon.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Next time they really need to get a blurrier photo.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Grapplejack posted:

Actually thinking on this more if you make his UA where castles act as courthouses that can rarely spawn knights he'd be really fun to play.

One of my favourite facts about William I is that in order to make his military pacification of England more efficient, he had the wooden keeps common to the motte and bailey castle design used by the normans pre-built in normandy and then shipped over to England for construction on-site.

William I pioneered the flat-pack castle. That's how you can tell the Normans were still scandinavians at heart.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

They do also have AI fixes which can make them a bit more threatening/annoying since you can't leverage their lovely policy picks against them for example and their resource management is a little better.

But the important part here is, does this revamped AI also fight better? plan better?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Teron D Amun posted:

But the important part here is, does this revamped AI also fight better? plan better?

Here's a list of AI changes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LpMswoeLDnAi6Zaqemyhjr2g1xaBPMTc6sXmKU8ERlg/edit#heading=h.nglix3b6xfm

In my limited experience thus far, the AI does seem to be a little better.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

GrandpaPants posted:

Was that Mont St. Michel being way inland? The pyramids have to be on desert but they couldn't make Mont St. Michel be like, at least on the coast?

It has to be built on a marsh or a floodplain.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
oh my lord, i don't know if i should even copy paste that one...

Have a link to this bad boy

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=14373575&postcount=328

TLDR; instead of de Medici, an Italian wife who struggled to keep France together and contributing to tis prolems, the leader of France ought to be Cardinal Richelieu, a self-made man who structurally modernised France and then made it into Europe’s most powerful country. Switching leaders would be historically accurate, would make sense, would fit into France’s gameplay, would be easily done by Firaxis and would also increase the meme potential.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

TLDR; instead of de Medici, an Italian wife who struggled to keep France together and contributing to tis prolems, the leader of France ought to be Cardinal Richelieu, a self-made man who structurally modernised France and then made it into Europe’s most powerful country. Switching leaders would be historically accurate, would make sense, would fit into France’s gameplay, would be easily done by Firaxis and would also increase the meme potential.

If anything it should be Louis XIV, just because it would be hilarious to declare war on France only to see this motherfucker pop up on your screen:

No hat, but the best hair. :allears:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
He's even already been a leader before, hasn't he?

EDIT: Yes. Civ 4. http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Louis_XIV_(Civ4)

I can appreciate wanting them to do him again, perhaps.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 28, 2016

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

This was my favorite bit from that whole thing:

quote:

Gender equality: although I personally support the notion that there should be a rough balance between both genders in Civilization’s leaders because there have been many great female leaders throughout history; don’t you think that France – one of history’s great civilizations – should be exempt from this rule?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Why are fun games always ruined by their fanbases? :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Xarn posted:

People who take things too seriously are problematic.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Xarn posted:

The people we notice in the fanbases are inevitably the lowest common denominator of the fans of the game.

Things that are fun have big fanbases.

Thus, there are a lot more terrible people.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Senerio posted:

This was my favorite bit from that whole thing:

"I'm not racist, but..."

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

"I've got nothing against women but gently caress them all they don't want to have sex with me".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cythereal posted:

For example, Napoleon Bonaparte barely qualifies as being born in France - he was Corsican and famously had lovely, horrendously accented French.

Catherine the Great was born in Prussia, modern day Poland, the daughter of German nobles, and didn't move to Russia until she was married.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I am little exasperated that they went with Cleopatra flirting with the camera instead of Hatshepsut being badass and cool.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Xarn posted:

Fans ruin every loving thing. It's not limited to games.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I must be crazy, but people who like the same thing as me saying stupid poo poo don't affect me or my enjoyment of that thing in the slightest.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kurtofan posted:

Libertarian spotted. "Self-made" to describe a man who entered the clergy only so that his noble family could continue looting a bishopric the King had granted them, and who "modernised" France through policies intended solely to politically strengthen the clergy and centralise power to the king, directly setting the stage for the French Revolution.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah but he's a guy

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Something I kind of hope for is for the 'world congress' type things in this game to be a bit more fleshed out and interesting. I hardly expect Paradox-ey diplomacy but there are some basic improvements I think would be cool. For starters, a single 'world congress' around the Renaissance isn't a good way to do it. A better idea would be for diplomatic organization to come about as an extension of alliances and only have a few members at a time. I think early-game it should be heavily tied into religion - not necessarily a requirement, but converting another civ to a religion would be the biggest, easiest, and most reliable way to form early-game congresses. Of course there should be important reasons for you to form such a congress - things like the ability to decree that everyone declare war on another civ, more organized defensive pacts, potentially controlling trade, and so forth. And CS allies shouldn't just provide delegates but instead be members of those congresses who can join of their own volition, though allying them up can rope them into it faster. You'd see a lot more friction of religions early-on and holy wars would be much more common, and in general it'd make the politics of religion a little more intriguing early-on.

Then of course late-game it should be ideology-based for much the same purposes. I dunno, just, the WC is a really weak part of Civ V and it bothered me especially that there was no opting out of it should their demands be considered unreasonable...and the idea of a World Congress existing in the late middle ages that everyone listens to unilaterally is kinda silly. If anything the creation of a World Congress should be the major goal of a civ trying to win a Diplomatic victory.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

They've said the WC is one of the few features from Civ 5 they didn't bring across but I can easily see a revamped version appearing in an expansion. Whenever I experience a WC-type system in these games it always compares unfavorably to my memories of the council in Alpha Centauri, where you could do incredibly impactful things like raise or lower the sea level (with corresponding geographical effects due to the terrain system in that game).

I'm sure it's mostly rose-colored glasses, especially since half the fun in AC was playing as the Peacekeepers and ramming your proposals through even if the whole world was against you, but I remember being especially disappointed with the system in Civ 4. The World Congress in BNW has a lot of great proposal options but the system itself kind of breaks down when you realize the only reliable way to get what you want is to spend thousands of gold buying out the city-states for their votes.

There's currently a major press event for Civ 6 taking place and I believe the NDA expires next Thursday (Friday for me) if my casual browsing of the CF forums is any indication. I'm expecting a full reveal of the diplomacy system and probably the religion system as well, though maybe they'll leave something for Gamescom in a few weeks.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kalko posted:

I'm sure it's mostly rose-colored glasses, especially since half the fun in AC was playing as the Peacekeepers and ramming your proposals through even if the whole world was against you, but I remember being especially disappointed with the system in Civ 4. The World Congress in BNW has a lot of great proposal options but the system itself kind of breaks down when you realize the only reliable way to get what you want is to spend thousands of gold buying out the city-states for their votes.

I actually enjoyed the fact that it was (relatively) difficult to ram through whatever you wanted and that getting proposals passed was actually a matter of proposing things that other civs would like. It's like, hey, actual fuckin diplomacy for once. But like a lot of things in V it broke down with the AI, because while the AI could reliably be expected to vote in its own self interest (a rare high water mark for Civ V's AI) when the AI was in the driver's seat they would pretty much just pick proposals at random without caring what anyone else thought about them, which defeats the whole purpose.

France: In honor of our great ally India, we hereby motion that all civilized nations cooperate in shutting down the salt trade that India controls and relies on. All in favor?
India: Nay.
France: HOW DARE YOU VOTE DOWN OUR PROPOSAL, I THOUGHT WE WERE ALLIES

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

I must be crazy, but people who like the same thing as me saying stupid poo poo don't affect me or my enjoyment of that thing in the slightest.

Eh, it depends on the game, and poo poo like this won't stop me from buying Civ6 once the DLCs are out, but when going to popular forums about game you enjoy means reading that sort of poo poo, it definitely makes the game less enjoyable.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm sorry that you feel that way, it must be very hard for you to enjoy anything.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Xarn posted:

Eh, it depends on the game, and poo poo like this won't stop me from buying Civ6 once the DLCs are out, but when going to popular forums about game you enjoy means reading that sort of poo poo, it definitely makes the game less enjoyable.

I feel exactly the same way and also I'm a convicted felon, have strong opinions about women in video games and vape. Cheers!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

More than possible it's that 150 turn-limited demo, but hey maybe something new will come out of it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
new civ pleasssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm worried because Sean Bean's IMDb credits don't include Civ VI :ohdear: