Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

Space-Bird posted:

Same reason people are afraid of rubber bands, it hurts. Also you lose your teeth for a bit and your eyes go white. Ya don't want that, no sir. (But it'd be insanely boring if the characters new one piece tropes that the readers knew).

Zoro knows about Oda's no dying rules and is abusing the poo poo out of it! :zoro:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Spidder posted:

Zoro knows about Oda's no dying rules and is abusing the poo poo out of it! :zoro:

Zoro had a near death experience, was told to go toward the light, and got lost on the way.

oilatsnep
Sep 5, 2011

DizzyBum posted:

Zoro had a near death experience, was told to go toward the light, and got lost on the way.

:pusheen:

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Gyges posted:

He strikes me as more of an Ao dai kind of man.

He would look pretty good in an ao dai.

DizzyBum posted:

:perfect:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Please call the "aoi dai" by its proper name, which is "that Vietnamese rap from Katanagatari."

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

So, it turns out Film Gold had a really lackluster Japanese release. Iv'e heard some grumblings saying it's totally "pokemon go's fault" ... but I think TOEI has probably done enough to drive away fans of the animation... The Heart of Gold t.v special is out and...it was pretty darn bad, in my opinion.

Has anyone else seen Heart of Gold, or Film Gold yet?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Not sure if the should be taken with a grain of salt but Kotaku reports differently
http://kotaku.com/the-newest-one-piece-film-is-huge-in-japan-1784256064

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

SgtSteel91 posted:

Not sure if the should be taken with a grain of salt but Kotaku reports differently
http://kotaku.com/the-newest-one-piece-film-is-huge-in-japan-1784256064

http://variety.com/2016/film/box-office/japan-box-office-one-piece-wins-weekend-1201822622/

Variety posted:

Distributed by Toei on 739 screens nationwide, the film earned $10.9 million on 821,000 admissions. This was 15% down on the opening of the previous, “One Piece Film: Z,” in 2012. Even so, its opening day total of $6.4 million on 479,000 admissions was the highest of any film released this year.

So yeah, I guess you can look at it a couple of ways. It's not doing as well as previous Films, but still making that paper. Lackluster might be the wrong word for it.

kohon
Feb 26, 2015

Pewdiepie posted:

Franky won the most hard boiled fight in history .. and you still think he's not serious?

Shogun Franky? Or the fight versus Pink? They're both pretty rad.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

senor pink is obviously the hard boiled fight

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I watched the last episode of the Bill filler. It was alright, I guess. Bill overdosing on ore to power up after being outmatched felt like a rehash of Hody. The resulting flood of molten metal or lava or whatever was impressive, though. Bill's transparent mustache-twirling was disappointing after the charismatic Bill from the first episode of the filler.

The introduction/hyping of the movie villain was reasonably effective; apparently Bill was crushed by Gildo Tesero in the past in much the same way that Moria was crushed by Kaidou. The line about Tesoro having (political?) power equivalent to the World Nobles made me roll my eyes, though. This non-canon villain who has never been mentioned before is totally that important to the political structure of the entire setting! Plus you just know there's going to be some big reveals later in the manga about the World Government's decision-making processes that make it extra-silly.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 27, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Space-Bird posted:

http://variety.com/2016/film/box-office/japan-box-office-one-piece-wins-weekend-1201822622/

So yeah, I guess you can look at it a couple of ways. It's not doing as well as previous Films, but still making that paper. Lackluster might be the wrong word for it.

One Piece is loving massive in Japan, so yeah, "lackluster" relative to other One Piece things is still really good.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Waffleman_ posted:

One Piece is loving massive in Japan, so yeah, "lackluster" relative to other One Piece things is still really good.

Yeah, I'm mostly just wondering if TOEI animation will end up having an impact on One Piece overall, or not... :ohdear:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Space-Bird posted:

Yeah, I'm mostly just wondering if TOEI animation will end up having an impact on One Piece overall, or not... :ohdear:

They would have to seriously gently caress up for several years in a row to have even a minor impact on the juggernaut that is One Piece's popularity.

So what I'm saying is that you have a good reason to be concerned :ohdear:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Good. They muck it up then someone like Madhouse gets their mitts on it.

One Piece animated by Madhouse.... :fap:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Jimbot posted:

One Piece animated by Madhouse.... :fap:

would be an instructive lesson on how constant, unending crunch will kill any sense of good animation or pacing regardless of studio.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I was thinking that it'd go to Madhouse and have actual downtime and seasons. Don't ruin this!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if they took their time and started at the beginning, they'd have years and years of material to work with before they ever caught up

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is Madhouse the one that did HxH 2011?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Is Madhouse the one that did HxH 2011?

yep.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Then I'm all for it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
when one piece is done they should just have another studio do it from the beginning with zero filler

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

How many episodes are there in a year? Just have Madhouse, BONES, and Gainax rotate responsibility through the year. Someone get Prime Minister Abe on the horn...I've solved it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Space-Bird posted:

How many episodes are there in a year? Just have Madhouse, BONES, and Gainax rotate responsibility through the year. Someone get Prime Minister Abe on the horn...I've solved it.

they'd still have to stretch for content. i wish they'd just do half seasons, they lost their good timeslot already didnt they lol

Fuckshoes
Jul 11, 2001

sup ladies

anime was right posted:

when one piece is done they should just have another studio do it from the beginning with zero filler

Except for G8. That arc should stay.

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

anime was right posted:

Sadly, Toei's MO is apparently to sit on amazing IPs and churn out their ultra-cheap garbage forever.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Spidder posted:

Sadly, Toei's MO is apparently to sit on amazing IPs and churn out their ultra-cheap garbage forever.

can't wait for One Piece Super Crystal :sigh:

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Are the digitally colored chapters available in full anywhere? I was reading on Kissmanga and they had every chapter available until the end of June, but now huge chunks are missing, like at Batoto. Mangawizard purports to have everything, but from chapter 596 onward there aren't any images uploaded for each page. I wanted to finish reading through with the colored chapters but I'm not sure it's possible anymore.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Space-Bird posted:

Two Piece or One + One Piece. :v:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Space-Bird posted:

Luffy learns Gear Blue Beyond God to beat up Golden Blackbeard

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

where the new chapter at

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
http://mangastream.com/r/one_piece/834/3567/1

SO MUCH STUFF HAPPENING ALL AT ONCE!

bondster
May 6, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

where the new chapter at

http://mangastream.com/r/one_piece/834/3567/1

Little Capone Jr. :stare:

edit: Beat, drat!

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
here is where new chapter at - http://mangastream.com/r/one_piece/834/3567/1

CONFIRMED - Bege Capone has had more sex than Sanji

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Up on Mangastream. Lol @ Capone Jr being ugly as sin

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Huh. So Pudding really was on the level the whole time. A bit surprised at that.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
So many storylines happening at once. I really hope Oda can juggle all the things he's setting up here.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Asuron posted:

So many storylines happening at once. I really hope Oda can juggle all the things he's setting up here.
It's funny, unlike Dressrosa and Punk Hazard I feel like I have a good grip on all the variables here. Maybe the characters are just more memorable, but I'm never like "who?" or "where is this happening??" or "why is this person doing this again??"

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I'm liking Capone Bege more and more. There are so many good villains in this arc.

That is the Most Luffy solution to the problem of doppelgangers :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Huh, Big Mom's family has the Japanese style naming order.