Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It's really stupid to say you have to hunker down in multiplayer because if you do that on any difficulty passed bronze you will die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I used to do that as the N7 Engineer with the Krysae before they nerfed it. Find a good defensible corner, set up your ammo dispenser and go to town.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It's really stupid to say you have to hunker down in multiplayer because if you do that on any difficulty passed bronze you will die.

That was the accepted tactic on the highest difficulty available around launch.

Bronze you could run around doing whatever and still win.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It was true before they patched it specifically to force you to be more mobile, which happened in October 2012.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Pook Good Mook posted:

I never had a problem with the Mako. I'm convinced half of the hate for it is because it was "cool" to hate it.

Hot take.

underrated post. the first thing I did in ME after becoming a spectre was to go straight to a random rear end world in the middle of nowhere (Edolus). 10 minutes later a thresher maw pushed my poo poo in

Dan Didio posted:

Sherlock Holmes pulls himself from the raging waters of the Reichenbach Falls to address a frustrated looking John Watson,

"DId you know that fiction isn't real?"

very underrated post

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SciFiDownBeat posted:

underrated post. the first thing I did in ME after becoming a spectre was to go straight to a random rear end world in the middle of nowhere (Edolus). 10 minutes later a thresher maw pushed my poo poo in

Here lies Shepard, first human spectre, who brought great honor by immediately going off-course from saving the galaxy and died on some random-rear end world to a thresher maw.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FronzelNeekburm posted:

It was true before they patched it specifically to force you to be more mobile, which happened in October 2012.

Though it was still always about getting them together in chokepoints for sick combos.

The funniest thing about ME3 multiplayer is if you were ever foolish enough to click on single player again all the combat encounters were a complete joke. Oh no, a banshee? poo poo, thats nothing, call me when 3 more show up.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I feel old

N7 teleporting sword guy with a laser hand. Those were the days

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

hobbesmaster posted:

Though it was still always about getting them together in chokepoints for sick combos.

The funniest thing about ME3 multiplayer is if you were ever foolish enough to click on single player again all the combat encounters were a complete joke. Oh no, a banshee? poo poo, thats nothing, call me when 3 more show up.

You didn't need to play any multiplayer to have that reaction to ME3's combat.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

sassassin posted:

Bronze you could run around doing whatever and still win.

:lol: if you can't do this on platinum.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't know if it counts if you spent thousands of xbox points upgrading your numbers. Or spent hundreds of hours grinding the same 3 levels.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Here lies Shepard, first human spectre, who brought great honor by immediately going off-course from saving the galaxy and died on some random-rear end world to a thresher maw.

now you made me sad because I realized I can't romp around the galaxy and get eaten by giant worm aliens in real life ;( thanks you DICK

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
played more MP

still cool and good

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

sassassin posted:

I don't know if it counts if you spent thousands of xbox points upgrading your numbers. Or spent hundreds of hours grinding the same 3 levels.

keep doubling down something awful goon

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

SciFiDownBeat posted:

now you made me sad because I realized I can't romp around the galaxy and get eaten by giant worm aliens in real life ;( thanks you DICK

You can get eaten by *my* giant worm alien any time. :heysexy:

That's how it's supposed to go, right? Boy I sure hope that was right.

hwordhan
Sep 27, 2012

Ask me about the taste of a video game character's breast milk!

Geniasis posted:

Hey, if you and your giant space worm likes to get things stuck inside its little hole up all the way... More power to you! :quagmire:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Geniasis posted:

I am so confident that thresher maw erotic fanfic exists somewhere on BSN that I'm not even going to bother looking for it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Watching Star Trek Beyond gave me some Mass Effect flashbacks, specifically the space station city that looks like a spherical Citadel, the admiral played by Shoreh Agdashloo and the villain being a corrupted crazy ex-soldier. There's even a party at the end before the cast set off on a new mission.

How they defeat the villain's minions in the end should be how Mass Effect 3 handled the Reapers: literal sabotage by Beastie Boys.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 25, 2016

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Pook Good Mook posted:

I never had a problem with the Mako. I'm convinced half of the hate for it is because it was "cool" to hate it.

Hot take.

I hated the Mako for a very specific reason that no one else seemed to encounter (even asked about it in an old thread and no one else was having the issue). I had this problem where there drat thing would drive forward on its own. You'd think that means the left stick is stuck slightly forward, but nope. If you remember the way the Mako drives, up on the left stick would make it drive in the direction the camera was facing. I could have the camera facing 90 degrees to either side, or even directly backwards, and the Mako would drive forward relative to itself. That made it a real drat pain in the rear end to shoot things from a stand-off distance with the scope like every time I was softening up defenses for barging in.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

ApathyGifted posted:

I hated the Mako for a very specific reason that no one else seemed to encounter (even asked about it in an old thread and no one else was having the issue). I had this problem where there drat thing would drive forward on its own. You'd think that means the left stick is stuck slightly forward, but nope. If you remember the way the Mako drives, up on the left stick would make it drive in the direction the camera was facing. I could have the camera facing 90 degrees to either side, or even directly backwards, and the Mako would drive forward relative to itself. That made it a real drat pain in the rear end to shoot things from a stand-off distance with the scope like every time I was softening up defenses for barging in.

Garrus was just messing with you by putting his foot on the accelerator, take the joke maaan.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ApathyGifted posted:

So your controller was broken. Don't hate the mako for that.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So I haven't written in a while, but recently I've had a lot of dead time at work so I actually started up a story. I'm kinda going out on a limb here, this being the internet and all, but I thought I'd post the link here to see if anyone was interested in taking a look at it. Thanks guys. Have a nice day, or night depending on when you read this.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12026578/1/We-Are-Krogan

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Well I like the title

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

ApathyGifted posted:

Now you know why Garrus is so fixated on "calibrations."

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

If there's one character I want to see return in the new game, it's the guy who wants a refund.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ice To Meet You posted:

If there's one character I want to see return in the new game, it's the guy who wants a refund.

"Hey, I bought this copy of the Reaper Wars volume 3, and I want to return it. The ending makes no sense!"

"Sir, it's a documentary."

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I know I'm super late to the party, but I bought the trilogy on PS3 last weekend and it's been fun so far. I don't really know anything about the game except that everyone seems to hate the ending and that femShep is the best Shep.

This is looking a ways into the future, but I know that you can carry your Shepard over into ME2&3 and get bonuses based on levels and such. What's the best way to go about all this if I want to get the most out of the trilogy and the time it takes to get there isn't an object?

I'm trying to do my first run of each game blind since in the past I've tended to look at guides for specific things and came out knowing more than I wanted to about other things. To that end, I want to use NG+ to explore the charm/intimidate stuff and whatever secret stuff I may have missed. Is there anything that's too good to pass up, but also missable, that might be good to know about beforehand?

Also, should I be trying to use cover? It's pretty janky so far in ME1 and I feel like it's better to just strafe behind a wall and use a medi-gel. I guess once I unlock the immunity ability I'll be functionally invulnerable anyhow so I'm wondering how useful it is.

Shoren fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 27, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Shoren posted:

I know I'm super late to the party, but I bought the trilogy on PS3 last weekend and it's been fun so far. I don't really know anything about the game except that everyone seems to hate the ending and that femShep is the best Shep.

This is looking a ways into the future, but I know that you can carry your Shepard over into ME2&3 and get bonuses based on levels and such. What's the best way to go about all this if I want to get the most out of the trilogy and the time it takes to get there isn't an object?

I'm trying to do my first run of each game blind since in the past I've tended to look at guides for specific things and came out knowing more than I wanted to about other things. To that end, I want to use NG+ to explore the charm/intimidate stuff and whatever secret stuff I may have missed. Is there anything that's too good to pass up, but also missable, that might be good to know about beforehand?

Also, should I be trying to use cover? It's pretty janky so far in ME1 and I feel like it's better to just strafe behind a wall and use a medi-gel. I guess once I unlock the immunity ability I'll be functionally invulnerable anyhow so I'm wondering how useful it is.

I found the only really tedious part of the series, besides planet scanning for resources in ME2, are in ME1 . First is the planetside collection quests where you drive the Mako around and stare at your minimap until you see an icon and second is that finding all the quests on the Citadel can take a bit of time.

Most of the Citadel quests are worth doing anyways they can just take a while. I think one of those planet collection quests comes back later on in the series but I'm not sure which one. Asari writings I think? Also check all the shops for and then buy all the weapon licenses you see.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Shoren posted:

If you are playing as femshep, start over. That's the first thing.

Then, make sure you get these DLC for each game and have them installed:

1 - Bring Down the Sky
2 - Shadow Broker, Overlord, Kasumi, Zaeed and Arrival. Do not start Arrival until you finish ME2 completely as it is the lead-in to ME3.
3 - From Ashes and Leviathan. Do not get Omega. Do not get Citadel until you have 100% finished the series and had a month or so to get over the disappointment. Then play Citadel and it will have maximum impact.

And really, play as shepard, not femshep. There are a few scenes that are unique to each of them and one is really cool as femshep but only if you take that path. Otherwise it's obvious many of the scenes were written for a male shepard and come off a little weird w/ femshep.

Basically, I am recommending you play through the entire canon story first. You will also see people strongly disagreeing with this for various reasons.

Oh, and play as a Spacer. That has a couple nice payoffs that the other 2 paths do not have.

E: and play as an Adept in ME1 for maximum fun. Infiltrator in ME2 for ease. And either Vanguard or Infiltrator in ME3.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Shoren posted:

I recommend not grinding out all the collection quests like the other guy said, because it's really easy to get burnt out that way. You get a handful of small bonuses in the later games if you do them, so it's not entirely pointless, but I don't personally think it's worth the payoff.

Also invest in at least one of charm or intimidate, if not both, and do it as early as possible. All it does is unlock dialog choices for better quest rewards/solutions, while giving you paragon/renegade points which let you increase your charm/intimidate scores further. If there's anything I wouldn't pass up, it's the conversation skills.

Waltzing Along posted:

And really, play as shepard, not femshep. There are a few scenes that are unique to each of them and one is really cool as femshep but only if you take that path. Otherwise it's obvious many of the scenes were written for a male shepard and come off a little weird w/ femshep.

Don't actually do this. That's a really weird thing to say. The only weird scenes are a couple in ME2 that were explicitly written for female Shepard.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Omega is fine, not great, but fine.

Femshep is as good as maleshep, better in some ways.

Play what you want.

Except play a Nemesis Adept or Shock Trooper vanguard in ME1, the physics system in that game needs to be experienced.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I still can't beleive that anyone actually did the planet collection quests. I mean they obviously had no story attached; they were just like assassin's creed flag hunts or w/e

E: :shepface:

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 28, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you play as Femshep, always make your own character, because Bioware's default face is awful for her in 1 and 2, and downright bizarre looking in 3 after their design by voting fiasco.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I can't tell you how many of my Shepards were killed in the womb after spending an hour trying to get everything just right in the face editor, then after that heroic reveal shot at the start of ME1, it turns out my creations actually resembled a hideously malformed invalid in-game.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Or they look completely fine until they start talking and their mouth opens up wider than their lips should allow.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Honestly making a good-looking Shepard for cutscenes and screenshots is 95% of what helps me push through replaying the first Mass Effect.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
In ME1 the side quests that involve driving the Mako up mountains are what cause people to hate the Mako. Avoid trying to drive up mountains. If that means you miss some boring collection thing, fine. But the rest of the side quests are fun. I also really like Shepard better than Femshep. Especially in 2 & 3. I think the voice acting is better for a 1/3 renegade 2/3 paragon that I always end up with.

As far as the face goes, it always turns out ugly in the first one, so use default and you can customize it in the beginning of the next one. Or import a face code.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

exquisite tea posted:

I can't tell you how many of my Shepards were killed in the womb after spending an hour trying to get everything just right in the face editor, then after that heroic reveal shot at the start of ME1, it turns out my creations actually resembled a hideously malformed invalid in-game.
Yup. At least now in Inquisition they give you the Black Emporium so you can fix it. I've seen the opening sequences of these games so many times :negative:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

exquisite tea posted:

The same, I eventually gave up and used premade heads :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Axe-man posted:

The same, I eventually gave up and used premade heads :negative:

The best heads.