Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I've used Imgur on other topics and haven't had any problems (aside from a signature not being shown because previewing apparently unchecks the option to show the signature, but that's not a matter dealing with forum-Imgur interactions).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a couple hundred images hosted by Imgur linked to SA and a quick random check shows they're still up.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The Hollywood Report confirms Johns as President of DC Entertainment

quote:

Following initial online reports, The Hollywood Reporter can confirm that Johns now holds the title of President & Chief Creative Officer at the Warner Bros. division, answerable to Diane Nelson, who remains as President of DC Entertainment, President of Warner Bros. Consumer Products and President and Chief Content Officer of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.

Johns received the new title when he was promoted to head up DC's movie division alongside Jon Berg back in May. Already on board to develop the standalone Batman movie with Ben Affleck, it has since been revealed that Johns co-wrote the screenplay for Patty Jenkins' Wonder Woman with Allan Heinberg, from a story by Johns, Heinberg and Zack Snyder.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Ok, definitely a problem on my end. Thanks for following up.

EDIT: Fixed.

Can we talk a little about Action Comics #960? Not only is the art an eyesore, the dialogue is terrible, the plot is lame, I've given it four issues so far and it's just no good.

Stop counting, rear end in a top hat! You're fighting Doomsday!

This is on the heels of starting the original fight with Lex back in #957 with a very uncharacteristic rear end in a top hat attitude (okay, so Lex is Lex, he still started a fistfight).

Back to today's issue, as our heroes are chasing Doomsday.

Note he said "system." Am I wrong to read that as solar system? Because where is this clever foe hiding?

"The Smith Farm. Upstate."

I'm barely scratching the surface. Meanwhile, Peter J. Tomasi's work on (Son of) Superman has been fantastic, so at least Superman's got one good book out there.

Dario the Wop fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 27, 2016

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Eh, the art isn't the best, but I've seen worst. While Superman is clearly superior, I'm enjoying Action. I wish they'd get to the point though. It's being drug out like a storyarc in Dragonball Z. I'm sure it's like this because it comes out twice a month, but still a bit annoying.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dario the Wop posted:

Ok, definitely a problem on my end. Thanks for following up.

EDIT: Fixed.

Can we talk a little about Action Comics #960? Not only is the art an eyesore, the dialogue is terrible, the plot is lame, I've given it four issues so far and it's just no good.

Stop counting, rear end in a top hat! You're fighting Doomsday!

This is on the heels of starting the original fight with Lex back in #957 with a very uncharacteristic rear end in a top hat attitude (okay, so Lex is Lex, he still started a fistfight).

Back to today's issue, as our heroes are chasing Doomsday.

Note he said "system." Am I wrong to read that as solar system? Because where is this clever foe hiding?

"The Smith Farm. Upstate."

I'm barely scratching the surface. Meanwhile, Peter J. Tomasi's work on (Son of) Superman has been fantastic, so at least Superman's got one good book out there.

That is not quite but very near early Injustice levels of bad artwork. Christ who's the artist on Action Comics?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It gets the "Not as bad it could be" medal from me.

Jiro posted:

That is not quite but very near early Injustice levels of bad artwork. Christ who's the artist on Action Comics?

Patrick Zircher

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

But why? Doomsday is no mad dog killer, he is after something.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I liked this part from the new issue of Action Comics. No jealous love triangle bullshit, and I'm glad it wasn't made into a thing to milk for drama.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It should be said that this is a fill in artist, that's not the regular artist on Action.

Detective is still the best thing going on right now. Loving everything about it. Nightwing and Batgirl were both solid C+'s for me. "Sup, Hootie?" made me laugh and I feel like Seely's got a pretty good lock on Dick's voice but the art was pretty rough and I don't really care that much about the plot so far.

Wonder Woman really just made me wish it was an even-numbered week because I'm way more interested in Greg Rucka writing a WW origin story than I am whatever the gently caress is going on here.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Roth posted:

I liked this part from the new issue of Action Comics. No jealous love triangle bullshit, and I'm glad it wasn't made into a thing to milk for drama.

They shoulda had a three way

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Travis343 posted:

Detective is still the best thing going on right now. Loving everything about it. Nightwing and Batgirl were both solid C+'s for me. "Sup, Hootie?" made me laugh and I feel like Seely's got a pretty good lock on Dick's voice but the art was pretty rough and I don't really care that much about the plot so far.

oh thank god. someone else read that

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Travis343 posted:

It should be said that this is a fill in artist, that's not the regular artist on Action.

Wonder Woman really just made me wish it was an even-numbered week because I'm way more interested in Greg Rucka writing a WW origin story than I am whatever the gently caress is going on here.

I guess I'm going to have to give Detective a shot. I picked up all the issues of Batman and I absolutely love it. The whole "Is this a good death, Alfred? Would they be proud of me?" part was amazing.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This week in DC:

I think I'm done with Action Comics. It's gone from horrible, to bad, to annoying, and now it's just mediocre and a total waste of time. Plus, Superman is so much the superior title in every loving way (Clark isn't a douchebag, Jon isn't an annoying twerp, there's not the insanely convoluted bullshit that is the current Action Comics storyline) that I see no reason to continue reading. Deuces.

Nightwing continues to be excellent.

Batgirl Rebirth is immediately better, has a better hook, and feels more honest then basically any part of Batgirl of Burnside, which was essentially a bad ripoff of Ms. Marvel. After a run I found, at best, very middling, Batgirl Rebirth is compelling and feels like it has an actual loving point over "Let's watch Batgirl get drunk #Millenials #bae #LukeFox".

Detective Comics continues to be excellent.

The "present day" storyline of Wonder Woman seems to have finally started clicking as the most recent issue felt like it was firing on all cylinders in a story that just worked, on every level. Good stuff.

Good DC week, all in all, Action Comics notwithstanding.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Roth posted:

Patrick Zircher

This issue was Tyler Kirkham.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I feel bad for Jurgens, he's trying to recapture the past but nobody seems to want the stories he's writing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Maybe Jurgens shoulda got Doug Mahnke. I really liked how he drew the Doomsday flashback in Supe Rebirth #1.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Kirkham is one of the rotating artists on AC. I dont know if he was on a close deadline or a lovely inker though. He tends to deliver better work

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rhyno posted:

I feel bad for Jurgens, he's trying to recapture the past but nobody seems to want the stories he's writing.

It's not that, considering Tomasi is also doing a whole bunch of past worship as well, it's just in an unbelievably excellent book that has an incredibly appealing central theme of the father-son relationship between Clark and Jon. In comparison, Jurgens decided to write a convoluted mess of a story (I mean, there's two loving Clark Kents running around, two Supermen, Doomsday, and now Wonder Woman as well, in some weird redux of Death of Superman combined with the human Clark Kent mystery and Lex's Superman stuff) with badly written characters saying dumb poo poo as they endlessly fight. It's just dull and boring and bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sorry, I meant that Dan was trying to recapture his past glory. He used to have poo poo twice as convoluted going on in his Superman and somehow it always worked out.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Kirkham is one of the rotating artists on AC. I dont know if he was on a close deadline or a lovely inker though. He tends to deliver better work

I was gonna blame the inker, but it looks like he did it himself.
My favorite part is these scribble plants

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Roth posted:

Yeah, I don't hate that Wonder Woman characterization. I got a kick out of her plainly stating, "Wow yeah, neither of these are the Clarks I boinked." I like when this comic is focusing on the weird clusterfuck situation of the multiple Supermans.

Speaking of which, Wonder Woman #3. I love this Diana. This is absolutely Rucka's measured, engaging, heroic, warrior-diplomat Wonder Woman back in my comics. It truly feels like the last couple of years...not just the N52, but also all of the stuff from Heinberg onwards has been tossed in the rubbish pile and that, in terms of character linearity, we're picking up right after the end of Rucka's run where we left off. Like maybe Diana's embassy shut down and she flew off to deal with Infinite Crisis and then right afterward we're here in the weird jungle, seeing her try to find the pieces of her old life.

Completely honestly-speaking...the story is still a little slow, and though I love this Cheetah design, I've never been very fond of the whole characterization of her as Urzkartarga's battered, abused bride. I don't think that's using the character to her fullest potential and am a little disappointed that Rucka's pretty much sticking with it. Beyond that, I'm still really looking forward to seeing what comes of this...having Diana, Cheetah, and Steve's paths all converge at Urzkartarga's doorstep is gonna make for a real fun issue.

Oh yeah Detective Comics is still wonderful...though, meh, I'm kind of over Kate's dad as this obnoxious stock militant monologuing supervillain. I gave it an issue to prove my impressions wrong and it's not really working for me. I don't hate the story built around this but I wish they did his characterization better.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm giving Nightwing another thumbs up. It gives me the same warm feeling that Superman does, honestly. Between this and Batman it's just so refreshing to have a Batman I might actively root for instead of an unrelenting dick. It was also nice to see Barbara being a superhero. And not trying to gently caress Nightwing on the bridge. This Raptor character though...eh. We'll see. He looks so lame.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I hope that Raptor dude explains his arm thing every time he uses it, and that "reading what you need/I need" just spawns a puppy once.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This week I thought:

Detective Comics was great. I'm still really happy to read anything featuring Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown, and it's had the best use of Tim Drake since the New 52 began.

Action Comics was mediocre for most of the reasons already discussed.

Titans felt like it was just retreading the Rebirth issue a bit, but at least it set up the plot pretty well. Arsenal still looks awful in this series though.

Teen Titans was about as expected. It's still average, but it seems to be improving just in time for it to get handed off to a new writer. The main issue is that it's 22 issues in, and I feel like the only characters to actually be friends instead of just acquaintances are Raven and Beast Boy, and Beast Boy and Bunker to a lesser extent. Tim is really boring here.

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps is a massive upgrade in quality compared to Green Lanterns. I guess we'll see if it continues to keep it up or not, but I'm interested in what's going on way more than what was happening in Green Lanterns.

I'm not really sure what to think of Flash so far. It feels like too much is happening with already, but I guess Godspeed's costume looked cool.

Wonder Woman is also finding its feet now it seems. I am, however, a lot more interested in the other arc that's going on at the moment.

Finally, Doctor Fate was as good as I usually find it. I still dig the art in this series a lot, and I'm liking the new Fate more and more with each issue. Also pretty happy that the series has continued past twelve issues.

I'll read Red Hood later, when I'm in the mood to laugh at something.

Edit: Whoops, I forgot about Nightwing and Batgirl.

I like them both so far, and that's about it. Nothing really stuck out to me for either issue that I thought was really good or really bad.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Just popping in for my monthly statement on how it hurts my goddamn soul that Booth is drawing Titans. An otherwise good book that just looks utterly awful and ugly as poo poo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hey. After not liking WW Rebirth and #1 much at all, I thought this one was great!
I enjoyed Cheetah for the first time in my life.

Now if Flash could turn around for me, that'd be great.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tangentially DC related:

Rhyno posted:

I finally had a guy have a psychotic episode over Frank Cho leaving his WW gig. He kept yelling about the changes made to the cover of issue #3's variant. He got so worked up he about had an asthma attack.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Y'know, I thought Brett Booth actually did a good job on Wally...that costume and those effects were really expressive and dynamic. Some of the other characters, though...woo boy, cringeworthy. Especially some of those Linda panels.

I enjoyed the issue nonetheless.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Thinking back to New 52, can anybody give me a source where DC editorial explains why they removed Superman's red overpants from his costume?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kurzon posted:

Thinking back to New 52, can anybody give me a source where DC editorial explains why they removed Superman's red overpants from his costume?

Well it's pretty simple actually. It's because it looks better.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Diana Prince: Wonder Woman rules. The 60s psychedelia, sexy espionage, sword and sorcery and romance comic mash up is really fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

Well it's pretty simple actually. It's because it looks better.

If by better you mean infinitely worse and gives him a weird uncomfortable evil dictator look, yeah.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kurzon posted:

Red underpants is so last century.

I'm pretty sure it's because Lee didn't like the aesthetic and how it would differentiate his design too much from the rest of the high necked uniforms.

Also, because red underwear doesn't compete with the Secy tacticool look of the MCU.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I've tried hard to get into the non-underwear Superman costume for years now but it really just does not work for me at all.

Ferret
Oct 9, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Action Comics' art was atrocious this week.

Is...is Lois hitting on Diana here? -_-

I could be okay with that, actually.

EDIT: I see ImpAtom and I were on eerily similar wavelengths when we saw this panel.

Ferret fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 28, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Reminder:

Batman #4: http://www.comicosity.com/exclusive-preview-batman-4/

Ferret
Oct 9, 2003
well, poo poo, now I gotta go read All-Star again.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I read Red Hood and the Outlaws just to give it a chance, and I really don't think I'll be continuing.

That scene with Jason firing indiscriminately into the crowd? Turns out he was just firing darts to cure people of some bullshit virus that Batman had him investigating, but it just looked like he was killing people for no reason. So Batman tries to stop him, and instead of stopping to explain what's going for five seconds, Jason wastes more time getting into a fight with Batman and electrocuting him, and later has the nerve to tell Batman he didn't explain because Batman doesn't "trust" him enough.

I'm sorry, but that's just straight up laughable to me. It's your fault for not even bothering to tell him before you went out to cure those people, and we're supposed to think Batman is in the wrong for assuming a guy firing a gun at the mayor and cops instead of giving Jason a chance because that somehow demonstrates how much he doesn't trust Jason.

This really does feel like more of the same crap I associate with Jason Todd in recent years. But, as I said before, I do think Lobdell can write small moments between characters. The scene with them eating fast food together was nice, but it's not enough for me to say this comic was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Goddamit DC.