Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Are there any good guides for builds when leveling? Doesn't have to be the most detailed, but some tips on the various professions would be nice.

Also, are there any good ways to find events to complete the daily quests?

And lastly, will I find mounts or anything like that as I level more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Sjonkel posted:

Are there any good guides for builds when leveling? Doesn't have to be the most detailed, but some tips on the various professions would be nice.
Play how you like, guides and advice are forbidden.

Sjonkel posted:

Also, are there any good ways to find events to complete the daily quests?
Run around, you'll bump into something, and if you're lucky, one thing might well lead to another.

Sjonkel posted:

The only thing being mounted around here is your mother.

One, and only one, of these answers is a joke.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

karn1635 posted:

So they're the Hunter equivalent in WoW?

It's the same Rogue, Sniper, Ninja, etc. class analogue as every other RPG. They're fine, but there are 3 stages of Thief player:

1. Has never played Thief before, dies repeatedly, declares the class broken.
2. Has persisted and played Thief a bit, but cannot kill literally everyone they come across by doing the same memorized stealth burst combo, and so declares the class broken.
3. Finally invested enough time to play the class well, but has grown mute though the ordeal and can only submit their opinion of its balance by uploading hour-long video montages of killing unsuspecting uplevel characters in WvW.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lmao Waci that's some amazing posting

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Waci posted:

You see a hobo, wearing ragged clothes that look as if they once upon a time were less brown.

Wow, I check the thread out for the first time in god knows how long and yall are talking poo poo about me.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
I'm not talking poo poo about you, I'm talking about your poo poo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Adhesive Gamin posted:

It's the same Rogue, Sniper, Ninja, etc. class analogue as every other RPG. They're fine, but there are 3 stages of Thief player:

1. Has never played Thief before, dies repeatedly, declares the class broken.
2. Has persisted and played Thief a bit, but cannot kill literally everyone they come across by doing the same memorized stealth burst combo, and so declares the class broken.
3. Finally invested enough time to play the class well, but has grown mute though the ordeal and can only submit their opinion of its balance by uploading hour-long video montages of killing unsuspecting uplevel characters in WvW.

also you forgot:

1.5) Tried thief once, correctly found out quickly that it's a poo poo class for poo poo idiots, immediately moved to 5 signet warrior much like Colin

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
I guess I just gotta be the greatest Thief there ever was.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

No matter how much you spit and rub, it remains what it is.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I'm returning to Guild Wars 2 after putting it down for three years, and I have two questions I can't find a solid answer on.

I have a friend playing on Euro servers, is there a way for me to guest and show off my dolly dress up in person yet?

Unid dyes don't drop any more. Is crafting the only way to get new dyes?

E: oh yeah also it seems like the value of gold has crashed

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Not really its been pretty steady since 2014.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Serenade posted:

I'm returning to Guild Wars 2 after putting it down for three years, and I have two questions I can't find a solid answer on.

I have a friend playing on Euro servers, is there a way for me to guest and show off my dolly dress up in person yet?

Unid dyes don't drop any more. Is crafting the only way to get new dyes?

It's not perfect (MMOs always deflate currency because there's always new money sources being added) but the gold/gem exchange rate isn't wildly out of control or anything.

http://www.gw2spidy.com/gem

It's a bit higher than normal right now but I bet it'll be corrected before too long. New content tends to knock things out of whack for a bit.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

That's a remarkably consistent graph. Most MMOs that have real money exchanges sport wildly fluctuating exchange rates and unstable economies.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Final reminder for Mastery Point Train tonight!

:siren: :frogsiren: Tonight at 6pm pacific (9pm eastern or 1am GMT/UTC) be online if you want to do a mastery point train. Squadjoin on Nerdremoth, I'll have a squad up and open. Doing all 40 points shouldn't take longer than ~2 hours. :frogsiren: :siren:

Additionally, Mastery Point Train 2! Gonna be Tuesday, August 2nd, at 9pm pacific (midnight eastern, 4am GMT/UTC). Same general deal.

Serenade posted:

In addition to what others have said, the value of gold is also rebounding some because ANet has been adding ways to grind money that are gold-negative but generate lots of materials.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Magres posted:

Additionally, Mastery Point Train 2! Gonna be Tuesday, August 2nd, at 9pm pacific (midnight eastern, 4am GMT/UTC). Same general deal.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

e: Cletus this is like 2pm in your weird spider land so you should cum

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I must have been using some bad reference points then, I went right to Legendary stuff and dyes which is what I was most interested in when I stopped. But yeah, that's actually pretty solid

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Hmm, tonight the mastery train starts under five hours before I have to get up for work, but the other day that I have free it starts at 4am

I think I'll just stay in bed for now

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

drat it all this stuff about gliding and getting lots of XP and masteries is makin' me want to play again and I can't play until Sunday, pls help

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Sjonkel posted:

As others have said, just try things and see what you like. The only near-mandatory skills/traits for leveling are the ones that grant movement speed (there are no mounts in the game), which you can find a list of on this page. Mesmer isn't listed as they don't have a regular movement speed skill (until 80), but they do get Signet of Inspiration. Guardians get hosed, as far as I know.

goattrails
Nov 27, 2009

Ride the frog, baby!
I'm soooooooooo happy that I grinded that leyline gliding poo poo. I can't imagine the new map without leylines.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

goattrails posted:

I'm soooooooooo happy that I grinded that leyline gliding poo poo. I can't imagine the new map without leylines.

=\

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I can! Hint: It involves not being dragged in random directions if I happen to fly too close to one

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

how to navigate the new map without leylines: glide

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Xun posted:

I can! Hint: It involves not being dragged in random directions if I happen to fly too close to one

Yeah this.

They're really more of an annoyance than anything on the new map, entirely unlike the MoM fight where they're actually useful.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Are we still on for Train #2 tonight around 1015 PST or so?
If not, I have all of tomorrow off.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The map is cool but I'm hoping whatever map we get next is normal, getting kinda tired of the verticality crap.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

We're not running any kind of official mastery train in the evenings right now, we're just casually hanging out killings mobs repeatedly with mega boosters on to get mastery experience, for noobs people like me who are just getting things like advanced gliding. If you're expecting an organized mastery train, keep an eye on Schpyder or Magres posts, they're organizing actual mastery point trains.

Sorry if you misunderstood what we were doing :(

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Arus, you've let me down again.
My GF may have to go to sleep early anyway and since we're sleeping in the office this summer, I don't want to bug her.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I still want to cuddle you in the mordremoth dragon jungle :allears:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ohhhhhh okay.
I don't have a lot of waypoints in the HOT zones so I will need to hoof it. I last logged off at the beginning of Dragon's Stand.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Our main mob killing area was in Verdant Brink, if you get the starter shipwreck waypoint and the one called Jaka Itzel in the north at the frog man village you'll be good.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh, I'm pretty sure I have those.
What's the booster situation these days? I have a bunch sitting in my bank and maybe a couple of the combo (celebration?) boosters.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
There are two EXP boosts: the yellow text one and the blue text one. Hell if I can remember the difference. Then there's Celebration Boosts and Killstreak Boosts, guild experience boosts, a banner if you're able to get one, and food and utility buffs, and fireworks. Also, there's the item that gives you an experience boost in Bloodstone Fen.

So yeah, there's a ton of boosters.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The yellow XP booster that I'm thinking of wraps a bunch of boosts into one, like a flat gain increase, killstreak, and something else? all wrapped into one 2 hour booster

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there a way to mash what ones I have together into a more convenient tablet?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

There are also new year's fireworks that give you a straight (green) XP boost to kills.

There's also the GH tavern +10% XP boost to everything.

Also, I run HP trains, not MP trains (although we do hit like 4-5 environmental MPs in the train).

ALSO, the HP trains are a good source of mastery XP if you pop boosters before and during them, especially on an alt fresh to HoT, since just uncovering the map areas and hitting all the WPs we do is a boatload of XP in and of itself, even more with boosters, and the challenge HPs give a good amount of XP as well.

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 28, 2016

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Not 1015 PST, 6:30 pm (18:30) PST, a little under 3 hours from now. There'll be another one Tuesday at 9pm PST for late night west coasters and Australian time zone folk. I was thinking of doing a third one next Sunday at like noon PST for Euros, as well, but I need to make sure I can actually do that before I start telling people to show up then!

Wallet posted:

As others have said, just try things and see what you like. The only near-mandatory skills/traits for leveling are the ones that grant movement speed (there are no mounts in the game), which you can find a list of on this page. Mesmer isn't listed as they don't have a regular movement speed skill (until 80), but they do get Signet of Inspiration. Guardians get hosed, as far as I know.

Also if you run Signet of Inspiration you can run Off-hand Focus in one of your weapon sets, cause Focus 4 lays down a wall that gives Swiftness, and between the two you can have really close to 100% Swiftness uptime (if you have Signet of Inspiration and use Focus 4 on cooldown you'll be lacking Swiftness 2% of the time). Mesmer doesn't have to be a painfully slow class!

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 28, 2016

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
e: quote is not edit

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Magres posted:

I was thinking of doing a third one next Sunday at like noon PST for Euros, as well, but I need to make sure I can actually do that before I start telling people to show up then!

A time closer to that would be awesome if you can swing it some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Magres posted:

Not 1015 PST, 6:30 pm (18:30) PST, a little under 3 hours from now. There'll be another one Tuesday at 9pm PST for late night west coasters and Australian time zone folk. I was thinking of doing a third one next Sunday at like noon PST for Euros, as well, but I need to make sure I can actually do that before I start telling people to show up then!

It's like you found my schedule and decided to avoid me at all costs :D

• Locked thread