Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

necrotic posted:

Part of the overwatch series, perhaps?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=439582006&searchtext=Garbage+AI

Garbage trucks mostly stay in their district, but can leave given some conditions.

Yeah i have the other guy's updated version and I just looked and the comments say it isn't working, so maybe it broke and that's why the garbage trucks are going all the way across the city?

Oh and somehow all of the default farm assets don't show up except the ugly big building ones. I want actual farms :(

E: also here's the city I'm working on atm :ussr:

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
anyone have a good collection of various sports fields/courts?

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Thin Privilege posted:

There was a mod I saw a few weeks ago but cant find it, it was like "control what areas garbage/etc trucks cover so they don't go across the city". Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Districts is what you seek, I believe:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=649522495

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Ah yeah that was it! But it looks like it conflicts with my other mods. Ah well

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Reading through the thread I saw a lot of people posting about how "terrible" their road knots were. Well, they're not. The background to this is that I needed industry in my fledgling town and didn't think through where I was putting it. The resulting truck traffic crushed my pitiful two-lane roads, and I needed a fast way to get them out of my neighborhoods. A relatively normal highway interaction created a comical clusterfuck of trucks, so I started playing with one way streets.

I call it gently caress Out of Towners Interchange - and note that almost all of the roads in that southwest distract are one way. Good luck navigating that cold, and god help you if you took that exit by accident.

The traffic flow is incredibly smooth though. A fleet of trucks is nothing.

More seriously I need to nuke that district and put something else there. The rest of the city isn't nearly so bad...except that one bit involving the east exit of my high density housing block. And the cargo train near the oil industry zone. And the oil industry zone interchanges in general. The less said about the high density commercial sector the happier everyone will be.

Come to think of it, you guys want to see what other hashes I've made of common sense and roads in the name of smooth flow?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
That conformationally very near a good highway interchange, just a little ugly around the edges. You will run into issues by immediately following an entrance with an exit because this game absolutely hates weaving.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What zedprime is saying is this:

It's generally a good idea to split before merge.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah get people leaving the highway first and then joining it second.

Otherwise the people joining the highway have to fight the people leaving it for the lane.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Build collector lanes too. It acts as a buffer if you run into problems.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

zedprime posted:

That conformationally very near a good highway interchange, just a little ugly around the edges. You will run into issues by immediately following an entrance with an exit because this game absolutely hates weaving.
I am shocked and amazed that it's less terrible than it looks.

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah get people leaving the highway first and then joining it second.

Otherwise the people joining the highway have to fight the people leaving it for the lane.
Duly noted, I'll make the change. I haven't had an issue with people joining it and leaving after more messing about just north of the highway, if you look further up there are always shorter cuts than that which everyone likes taking.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's probably not a problem for the volume of traffic you're getting there but if it gets busier you'll notice people getting stuck on each other or getting excessively bunched up in that lane.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

nielsm posted:

What zedprime is saying is this:

It's generally a good idea to split before merge.

:magical: If you do that (which I agree is a good idea), then do this, too:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It's honestly not a bad interchange conceptually, it just looks goofy because it's built mostly from straight lines at weird angles and has some weird merges going on, but there's plenty of room to fix them.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

:magical: If you do that (which I agree is a good idea), then do this, too:

Nooooo, don't make that blue connection. Everywhere you can come from onto that onramp, you already have more direct access to where the offramp is going.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know what I'd do without an early-game oil boom.

Was there a canal/flooding guide? I think the default map I'm playing on was screwed over a patch and has a permanent floodzone in one of premade highways. I tried fixing it with canals, but they mystify me and I turned more land into a floodzone that needs even more canals.

On the upside that's a lot of land value!

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 20, 2016

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

nielsm posted:

Nooooo, don't make that blue connection. Everywhere you can come from onto that onramp, you already have more direct access to where the offramp is going.
Oops I didn't look at the original pic, just the one you touched up.

But yeah that blacked out off ramp Has To Go.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Chenghiz posted:

Definitely. What data are you working with?

Also, quick look at what I did this weekend, based on the Steel Bridge in Portland. It's still WIP obviously, need to model the approaches and it's gonna be a bitch to uv-map and I might just cheat on the beams. Gotta mess with the height too, right now it's a pain to place correctly but I think that's true of all the bridge assets.

Sorry this took so long to get to. My desktop bluescreened (when exiting Skylines :v:) the same night I posted that, so I lost the command line history because Windows :sigh:

Anywho, this is the site I'm using for data, but this should work for just about any source because the tool suite I found, supports a lot of formats. Advantages of OpenTopography over terrain.party include unlimited sizes and the ability to get non-square areas. You could do a city on a map of North American this way, for example.

To get set up on Windows, go to http://www.gisinternals.com/release.php and download one of the 2.1.0 builds. Probably the latest MSVC 2013 x64 version at the bottom - I think the others are just there for poor saps stuck on ancient machines and that probably doesn't apply to habitual PC gamers. If you're not on Windows, go fish.

After you install, there will be a new CMD environment in your start menu with GDAL in the name. Just use that.

If you haven't yet, get some data from OpenTopography. Draw a box as square as you can over an area you want to work with and have it spit out a GeoTIFF. Probably turn off all the options under Visualization because you don't need them and there's no reason to load their servers with stuff you're just going to ignore. I'm working with the TC metro area in this post because I'm familiar with it.

So now you have the file unpacked and you've poked cd C:\wherever\the\hell\you\unpacked\the\file into the command line you're ready to play. With the data - not the game, silly!

I've mostly been using gdalinfo which is pretty simple:
code:
gdalinfo -stats MSP.png

Driver: GTiff/GeoTIFF
Files: MSP.tif
Size is 1951, 1245
Coordinate System is:
GEOGCS["WGS 84",
    DATUM["WGS_1984",
        SPHEROID["WGS 84",6378137,298.257223563,
            AUTHORITY["EPSG","7030"]],
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","6326"]],
    PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],
    UNIT["degree",0.0174532925199433],
    AUTHORITY["EPSG","4326"]]
Origin = (-94.097916666686189,45.487916666669960)
Pixel Size = (0.000833333333333,-0.000833333333333)
Metadata:
  AREA_OR_POINT=Area
Image Structure Metadata:
  INTERLEAVE=BAND
Corner Coordinates:
Upper Left  ( -94.0979167,  45.4879167) ( 94d 5'52.50"W, 45d29'16.50"N)
Lower Left  ( -94.0979167,  44.4504167) ( 94d 5'52.50"W, 44d27' 1.50"N)
Upper Right ( -92.4720833,  45.4879167) ( 92d28'19.50"W, 45d29'16.50"N)
Lower Right ( -92.4720833,  44.4504167) ( 92d28'19.50"W, 44d27' 1.50"N)
Center      ( -93.2850000,  44.9691667) ( 93d17' 6.00"W, 44d58' 9.00"N)
Band 1 Block=1951x2 Type=Int16, ColorInterp=Gray
  Minimum=183.000, Maximum=401.000, Mean=286.354, StdDev=25.705
  NoData Value=-32768
  Metadata:
    STATISTICS_MAXIMUM=401
    STATISTICS_MEAN=286.35357586165
    STATISTICS_MINIMUM=183
    STATISTICS_STDDEV=25.704939259317
and gdal_translate, which has a lot of dials to turn. Thankfully, we're not working with layered data and we know what size our output has to be and gdalinfo just told us the input range, so getting started is fairly straightforward:
code:
gdal_translate -outsize 1081 1081 -ot UInt16 -of PNG -scale 183 401 0 65535 -exponent 0.1 -r cubicspline MSP.tif MSP16_exp.1.png
Good loving god I thought you said this would be straightforward! What is all of that crap?! What's wrong with you?!

Well, working in IT causes a certain sort of brain damage that's out of scope of this post, but explaining that command is in scope, so, in order:
  • outsize 1081 1081 is setting the output size in pixels. Non-square images get translated into squares, so your data needs to be close to square or it'll be skewed a bit. C:S wants a 1081x1081 PNG
  • ot UInt16 specifies that each output pixel has a 16 bit precision which gives each one a range of 0 to 65535. It defaults to 8 which has a range of 0 to 255, but C:S can handle 16-bit, so why not, I guess?
  • of PNG specifies PNG output
  • scale 183 401 0 65535 is telling it that our input has a minimum height value of 183 and maximum of 401 (we got that from gdalinfo) and that our output can be from 0 to 65535 as explained above.
  • exponent 0.1 is an input to the scaling algorithm that affects the relative terrain heights of the output. You'll want to fiddle with that to get the hills and rivers to the right depth but 0.1 is a good starting point, IME
  • r cubicspline sets the algorithm used to re-sample when translating the input image size to the output image size. It gave me the smoothest output in testing and C:S doesn't like jagged terrain, so probably use that.

You do have to scale it, or you'll end up with an essentially flat heightmap because it's dumb and will just copy the values verbatim, otherwise and 401 is .6% of 65535 - it barely registers at the highest. If you try to output an 8-bit PNG without scaling, it'll truncate anything over 255 to 255, so you get a weird map that's all flat mesas with deeeeeep canyons (or just flat if all input pixels are over 255), which might be fun to try if that's what you're going for.

That command should output something like this:

Which doesn't look impressive, but it imports pretty well, which is what we're going for. I should stress that, even after all of that, it's not a play-ready map. The Mississippi above St. Anthony falls barely exists, for example, and there are some too-steep hills where I know they shouldn't be, so maybe the source data is a little noisy, but you're still going to have to do some cleanup. You could also touch it up in your favorite photo editor as described upthread.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Oh and if anyone could point me to a recycling center mod, that'd be great. I just got my first city up to Fusion Reactor and I'd like to move from trash incineration to recycling because I don't need the power anymore. Makes me wish I could sell power like in SC3 but oh well. Actually, I can't imagine why it wasn't part of the game from the start :\

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

I haven't played in ages, but are there any mods that make roads/etc. require more realistic slopes and angles? It is always jarring to have my on- and off-ramps at bizarro angles, but the game seemed to want to force them to be that way no matter what I tried to do.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Athaboros posted:

I haven't played in ages, but are there any mods that make roads/etc. require more realistic slopes and angles? It is always jarring to have my on- and off-ramps at bizarro angles, but the game seemed to want to force them to be that way no matter what I tried to do.

Sharp junction angles will let you get much nicer angles. I think I've seen a mod that forces road slopes to be more gentle but don't remember the name.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The original was called Fine Road Heights, but it looks like it's gone and now there is Fine Road Tool.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

Oh and if anyone could point me to a recycling center mod, that'd be great. I just got my first city up to Fusion Reactor and I'd like to move from trash incineration to recycling because I don't need the power anymore. Makes me wish I could sell power like in SC3 but oh well. Actually, I can't imagine why it wasn't part of the game from the start :\

Recycling should be there, but not anywhere near 100%. There's always an upper limit to what you can recycle.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Both of the "remove stuck vehicle" mods have gone bung due to updates. Sure, I can clear all vehicles in the various Traffic managers but it's suboptimal for when you just need to deal with a tram that's holding your whole downtown hostage to gridlock.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Athaboros posted:

Yeah get the Fine Road Tool, Sharp Junction Angles, Precision Engineering, and No Pillars.

Here's a really quick vid of me making a curved offramp with precision engineering and SJA's anarchy tools: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXjCBawuPIk

Here's some inspiration...

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

MikeJF posted:

Recycling should be there, but not anywhere near 100%. There's always an upper limit to what you can recycle.

Right, but I'm still confused as to why that wasn't pretty much a launch feature.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

doo doo doot, makin' old towns

e: share your towns!!!

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 27, 2016

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's pretty shocking how good the game looks close up, makes me want to see an open world FPS game on the engine.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SwissCM posted:

It's pretty shocking how good the game looks close up, makes me want to see an open world FPS game on the engine.

Next DLC should be officially supported First Person exploration mode. I'd pay ten bucks for it.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

SwissCM posted:

The engine is Unity so there's probably a few thousand of varying qualities.

MikeJF posted:

Next DLC should be officially supported First Person exploration mode. I'd pay ten bucks for it.

:same:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

hailthefish posted:

The engine is Unity so there's probably a few thousand of varying qualities.

I mean specifically on Cities Skylines as a base with the simulation mechanics intact.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

I hope the Cities: Skylines creators are all old SimCopter fans. What I wouldn't give to play something like that, but in a more modern and fleshed-out form...

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Gimmick Account posted:

I hope the Cities: Skylines creators are all old SimCopter fans. What I wouldn't give to play something like that, but in a more modern and fleshed-out form...

Wasn't there a mod like that a while back? I definitely remember hearing about someone making one but I don't know how far it got.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cimcopter 1 reporting heavy traffic

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Mayday!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I ran into a problem a few days ago where some of my assets weren't showing up, and after some dicking around I ultimately had to unsubscribe from all mods, reinstall the game, and wipe a bunch of folders to get things working again. :suicide:

I've also spent the last few days making a new map, if anyone's interested. The idea was to have a map which promoted building your own road and rail network for a bunch of smaller towns.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=732659746

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
That map looks awesome, Andy, and it might have to be my next one.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Niiiice. I'm thinking of doing a massive pruning of my mods and assets as well, but I wonder if stepping up from my 760 to a newer graphics card would be an easier (but more costly) solution.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Koesj posted:

Niiiice. I'm thinking of doing a massive pruning of my mods and assets as well, but I wonder if stepping up from my 760 to a newer graphics card would be an easier (but more costly) solution.

For what it's worth I have a 980ti and this game won't get over 30-40fps and still doesn't exactly "pop" even at 1440p. I think it is CPU bound more than anything.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Also check out your RAM usage some time, especially if you have a lot of props. Yeouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

yeah I had to go out and get more ram so I could have more mods running at once or what ever.