Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
Well, all the other consoles are already linuxed, so heavily-modified android wouldn't be terribly different.

E: still, i'd give it 1 in 20 odds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

feedmegin posted:

I wonder what the chances are of them putting Android on it.

I believe they stated that they will not be using Android, they will be using a home-grown OS.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

feedmegin posted:

I wonder what the chances are of them putting Android on it.

PerrineClostermann posted:

I believe they stated that they will not be using Android, they will be using a home-grown OS.

This was in the recent press release, yes.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

lDDQD posted:

Well, all the other consoles are already linuxed, so heavily-modified android wouldn't be terribly different.

I thought that the Xbone was running a Windows 8 kernel?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

lDDQD posted:

Pretty sure Xbox One is using an NT kernel, and the PS4 is for sure using BSD.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

What was the reason the Wii U sold so bad and why does Nintendo think releasing something that isn't a Wii nor 3DS is going to be good for them? New hardware so soon after the previous HD one seems dumb, and the "New" 3DS is still a strong mobile platform but they seem to have stopped making AAA games for it (besides the coming Sun/Moon Pokemon games) which is why sales for HW/SW for it have stalled as well since everyone seems to be coding for the coming NX now.

Nintendo just seem to be pushing closer to what led to the demise of Sega. And if the NX isn't backwards compatible with either Wii or 3(DS) games, that I would think would make it a bit of a harder sell. Not like their current absolutely stupid market system where the games you buy are tied to the hardware instead of an account isn't bad enough.

Though, when they do release a AAA game it sure is drat good, and I still want a WiiU sometime here, if only for the Mario games (Kart/Smash/etc). :(

^ XboxOne is literally running X86 Windows 10. Just with most of the PC modules pulled out. The underlying code is officially the same between Xbox/PC/Mobile though once the August update rolls out.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Mario Kart 8 is some great poo poo.

The problem with the Wii U is a combination of branding, marketing, and product focus. They kinda hosed up every part of that.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

What was the reason the Wii U sold so bad and why does Nintendo think releasing something that isn't a Wii nor 3DS is going to be good for them? New hardware so soon after the previous HD one seems dumb, and the "New" 3DS is still a strong mobile platform but they seem to have stopped making AAA games for it (besides the coming Sun/Moon Pokemon games) which is why sales for HW/SW for it have stalled as well since everyone seems to be coding for the coming NX now.

Nintendo just seem to be pushing closer to what led to the demise of Sega. And if the NX isn't backwards compatible with either Wii or 3(DS) games, that I would think would make it a bit of a harder sell. Not like their current absolutely stupid market system where the games you buy are tied to the hardware instead of an account isn't bad enough.

Though, when they do release a AAA game it sure is drat good, and I still want a WiiU sometime here, if only for the Mario games (Kart/Smash/etc). :(

^ XboxOne is literally running X86 Windows 10. Just with most of the PC modules pulled out. The underlying code is officially the same between Xbox/PC/Mobile though once the August update rolls out.

i think at least part of the strategy with NX is unifying their platforms so they don't have to decide whether to put a game on wii u or 3DS. that's uniquely important to them because their first party catalog tends to prop up their consoles. wii u + all the first-party 3DS exclusives is a much better system.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Mario Kart 8 is some great poo poo.

The problem with the Wii U is a combination of branding, marketing, and product focus. They kinda hosed up every part of that.

wii is just not at all a strong brand, people overlooked the awful name because the controls were so good, but no one ever liked it. and after years when the wii stagnated because it didn't support HD and had no third-party catalog, why they felt the need to extend the wii brand with an even dumber name is beyond me.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

EdEddnEddy posted:

What was the reason the Wii U sold so bad

I'm going to guess it's because it has an overpriced gimmick compared to last time (the touch controller), a lot of uninformed consumers probably assume it's just some kind of pumped up Wii or some kind of accessory (Wii U is a seriously terrible name), and finally, it's not powerful enough to draw the third party developers in. Again.

Edit: oh, and games. Of course. Lack of stuff people actually wanted to play. But then the above probably created that environment.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
It still has some of the most played games I have for the past few years. Sure the ps4 is my media player but most the games I want to play are on the wii U

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

also, the wii u is closer in sales to the xbone than the xbone is to the PS4, it's not the failure most people think it is.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

That makes sense, I still want to get in on that Mario Kart though because drat if MK7 on the 3DS isn't fantastic fun.

But loosing 3D on the NX after having it dialed in so well on the 3DS seems like a step back. While the O3DS did have some issues, playing in 3D on the N3DS is downright fantastic. MarioKart has depth!

I guess we will wait and see, but until it's out it is all speculation at the moment I guess.

After seeing how MK8 looked in HD on the U though, you would think they could just attempt to make a console with the level of power similar to the others and even with the massive optimizations that the devs have to face, it would allow them to make some incredible Mario and other 3rd party games that don't have to be tied to one Exclusive or another that they have been missing out on for ages. (Even Project CARS was for whatever reason really eagerly awaited on the WiiU until it was canceled because of lack of performance). So they have a market for higher end hardware to go with the same "family friendly" market they have sort of held with all the Nintendo hardware.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Welp, installed the 1080, played around a bit in Battlefront, all good. Went to finally play Witcher 3, it crashes during the first in-game cutscene at like 30fps. :smithicide:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

EdEddnEddy posted:

That makes sense, I still want to get in on that Mario Kart though because drat if MK7 on the 3DS isn't fantastic fun.

But loosing 3D on the NX after having it dialed in so well on the 3DS seems like a step back. While the O3DS did have some issues, playing in 3D on the N3DS is downright fantastic. MarioKart has depth!

I guess we will wait and see, but until it's out it is all speculation at the moment I guess.

After seeing how MK8 looked in HD on the U though, you would think they could just attempt to make a console with the level of power similar to the others and even with the massive optimizations that the devs have to face, it would allow them to make some incredible Mario and other 3rd party games that don't have to be tied to one Exclusive or another that they have been missing out on for ages. (Even Project CARS was for whatever reason really eagerly awaited on the WiiU until it was canceled because of lack of performance). So they have a market for higher end hardware to go with the same "family friendly" market they have sort of held with all the Nintendo hardware.

I have thousands of hours across my old and new 3DS consoles and I can say I have spent maybe 2 hours total with the 3d on. Drains too much battery and games like Monster Hunter 3U even let you turn it off to get increased performance. It's a dumb gimmick and I'll be glad when it's gone.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

snuff posted:

http://www.eteknix.com/palit-gamerock-premium-gtx-1070-graphics-card-review/11/

That's just off the top of my head, I have heard it from several sources and owners in this thread.
The reviews are sensational, but do any NA/Canada vendors carry the Palit Gamerock or is it basically European only like it seems

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GTX 970 owners will get a $30 payout as compensation for the 3.5GB shenanigans :toot:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Got my 1080 yesterday, and installed it, with my old 4GB 770 as a physX card.

Holy poo poo 4K is the future, and if you don't agree, you're dumb.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

TheRationalRedditor posted:

The reviews are sensational, but do any NA/Canada vendors carry the Palit Gamerock or is it basically European only like it seems

I'm pretty sure Gainward is using the same design, don't know if that's more available in NA.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

:lol: what

I had like, 5 of those things

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Rumour is that RX470 benchmarks are out tomorrow

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

:lol: what

I had like, 5 of those things

Look at mister money bags getting back $150.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 28, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Skuto posted:

Tegra X2 is actually supposed to be revised Denver + A57.

2x NVIDIA Denver + 4x ARM Cortex A57

Which is a really weird mix, although some sense can be made of it: the Denver cores have good, fast single-thread perf and are a bit power hungry, backed up by 4 low-power but not that great single-thread perf A57s. But yeah that's like the opposite of the other consoles so wtf.

2 x 2.5Ghz Denvers are probably much easier to get your software running fast on than 8 x 1.6Ghz Bobcat's, though. And the background stuff can run on the A57s.

Not that weird. After how badly the Snapdragon 810s thermally throttled, Qualcomm cut the core count in half from 4+4 to 2+2 with the 820 that's in all the new flagships. Still big.LITTLE, though, but I consider having much more powerful big cores better in that it the sooner that it can get its work done and the system can go back to just the two low-power cores, the better.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Not that weird. ...cut the core count in half from 4+4 to 2+2 with the 820 that's in all the new flagships. Still big.LITTLE...

Yeah, but with 4 + 4, switching between one set of cores to another set doesn't need to change the architecturally visible state. You had 4 cores, you still have 4 cores, from the POV of the software the transition doesn't even need to be visible (and big.LITTLE includes that as an option).

You can't do that when going from 4 to 2 (the reverse isn't a problem).

That said, Linux and Android are fully aware of big.LITTLE topology details so for those it should work. It's still more complicated, though.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

First I get a free Witcher 3 + Batman: Arkham Knight with the card, then because of the botched Batman release I get every other Batman game for free too. Then I get free $30 because of some VRAM limit that I have never hit. Nvidia, the gift that keeps on giving.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

MrYenko posted:

Got my 1080 yesterday, and installed it, with my old 4GB 770 as a physX card.

Holy poo poo 4K is the future, and if you don't agree, you're dumb.

You can't really call 4K dumb anyways as it's just more pixels. That's not even a feature, it's just the normal movement of technology.

Now, running a physx card, on the other hand...

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Skuto posted:

Yeah, but with 4 + 4, switching between one set of cores to another set doesn't need to change the architecturally visible state. You had 4 cores, you still have 4 cores, from the POV of the software the transition doesn't even need to be visible (and big.LITTLE includes that as an option).

That said, Linux and Android are fully aware of big.LITTLE topology details so for those it should work. It's still more complicated, though.

Since when has Nintendo ever made intelligent hardware decisions? :v:

Okay, that's a bit harsh. I do think that Nintendo has done one thing correctly: If the new Zelda game has demonstrated something, I believe that they have openly embraced GPU compute and that the WiiU was a platform for them to get used to doing this kind of thing on a regular basis. If that's the case, the actual CPU dependence should be greatly decreased.... hopefully.

(I continue to feel that Nintendo is making a massive mistake by refusing to move to x86. The continued lack of 3rd party developer support is a self-inflicted gunshot that they've done nothing about.)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
4K at less than 60 fps or without using *sync seems like a bad experience if you are playing a real time game

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Since when has Nintendo ever made intelligent hardware decisions? :v:

Okay, that's a bit harsh. I do think that Nintendo has done one thing correctly: If the new Zelda game has demonstrated something, I believe that they have openly embraced GPU compute and that the WiiU was a platform for them to get used to doing this kind of thing on a regular basis. If that's the case, the actual CPU dependence should be greatly decreased.... hopefully.

(I continue to feel that Nintendo is making a massive mistake by refusing to move to x86. The continued lack of 3rd party developer support is a self-inflicted gunshot that they've done nothing about.)

I would buy a Nintendo console for 1st party games alone. The good 3rd party stuff is just icing on the cake.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Skuto posted:

How about 2 + 2 and reserving the other two for system/background stuff?

As for optimizing for ARM, eh there's a few billion ARM devices out there and it seems like a decent number of the big engines already work with it at least to some extent. As long as the hardware isn't too horrible I'd be more concerned about the software side of things, if their developer side stuff is easy enough to work with, cause I remember reading that they've tended to suck at that especially early on in a console's life. Well long term I'm worried about being stuck with Nvidia cause their last foray into console licensing was a pretty lovely deal for their partner, whereas AMD seems pretty desperate enough to be fair (and hell, they have an ARM license too afaik, and they're more open in general).

And uh I saw RX 470 mentioned somewhere. I thought I saw something a few days ago about 4GB for $150 and 8GB for $180 for the AMD ones, was that just pure speculation by some site or is there any basis in that?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

My friend got a 1070, but her CPU is a i7 920i. So overwatch runs a bit rear end on high/ultra settings. Is her CPU the guilty party? It seems to be the case given that she likes to stream games.

My 4690k + 1070 gets rock solid 70 FPS but I also don't stream. Did she maybe get a bum card?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Raskolnikov posted:

My friend got a 1070, but her CPU is a i7 920i. So overwatch runs a bit rear end on high/ultra settings. Is her CPU the guilty party? It seems to be the case given that she likes to stream games.

My 4690k + 1070 gets rock solid 70 FPS but I also don't stream. Did she maybe get a bum card?

Game streaming can eat a lot of CPU depending on what programs you use and the 920 is getting pretty long in the tooth so yeah, I'd say that is what is holding her back. I would upgrade to an i7-6700k and 16GB of DDR4, also get an SSD if she does not have one already since that speeds everything up.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

It depends on the resolution she's running. The i7 920 is also about 45% slower than the Haswell i5 and H.264 is pretty taxing for it in software encoding.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If she is into streaming while gaming, definitely look at upgrading to a better cpu. If she does YouTube as well, x99 could actually be a viable choice. She could play games, stream, and even encode videos at the same time while taking minimal performance degradation.

The i5-6500 is a good choice if she just games and streams. 6700k for the extra $150 gives you more options and more performance, but only marginally.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 28, 2016

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Okay so messing with how she encodes seems to be her best bet to get her 1070 up to par and then it's an upgrade? Thank you for the confirmation of what I suspected.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Raskolnikov posted:

Okay so messing with how she encodes seems to be her best bet to get her 1070 up to par and then it's an upgrade? Thank you for the confirmation of what I suspected.

Well, part of the problem is that the older CPUs like hers don't do hardware encoding, the only way to get that is to upgrade to a more modern CPU.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

SlayVus posted:

Look at mister money bags getting back $150.

Can you say Cha-Ching..

That's actually a very fair settlement for a class action. Usually I get back like 5 cents from a class action suit.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well, part of the problem is that the older CPUs like hers don't do hardware encoding, the only way to get that is to upgrade to a more modern CPU.

Well, Shadowplay would take care of the hardware encoding if she wants to go the hardware route. A 920 is due to be replaced at this point though, especially if you're pairing it up with a $400 GPU. Even something like a 6600K would be a giant step up.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
She might get better performance using shadowplay to offload the stream encoding to GPU.

e:beaten

e2: A lot of people on my local Craigslist are offloading 4th gen i5 and i7 motherboard/ram/CPU combos. That might be a way to snag a cheap upgrade.

Male Man fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 28, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I thought Shadowplay was a bit of a buggy mess? But yeah, if she can offload to the GPU that will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

OBS can also use the GPU encoder, like Shadowplay. Just go into options and change the video encoding mode from "x264" to "Nvidia NVENC".

e: Keep in mind that x264 packs more quality into a given bitrate than NVENC, so only switch to NVENC if your CPU is actually struggling.

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 28, 2016