Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

make lots and lots of kibble

...from raiders and tribals.

You don't have to be a canibal to use the free meat that walks itself right up to your base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
i have a wolf and a deer as my friends now thanks

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Depends what the animal eats, select the animal and click the little [i] button on its info box, that will give you a comprehensive list of every possible stat the animal has, this also works for colonists if you really wanted to see what actually defines your little colonymans.

It will tell you what the animal can eat, generally I would say almost everything eats kibble, most things you would likely want to/be able to train will eat veggies though some things like wolves are carnivores so they need kibble or meat. The genetically modified ultrawolves need raw meat, and won't eat anything else, making them rather impractical to keep unless you have a large and steady supply of meat, or your colony are all cannibals who don't mind butchering the dead. Or you build them a corpse freezer.

Its worth mentioning that for non-training purposes, animals will go and find their own food if its available within their area restrictions. This ranges from practical (ultrawolves hunting down deer) to the questionably survivable (cats hunting down boomrats (Thankfully this was patched out recently)).

Same for herbi/omnivores and plant matter. If you put them in a paddock of grass they'll eat it bare.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Nation posted:

i have a wolf and a deer as my friends now thanks

Train the wolf to haul as soon as possible and try to get a different gender wolf, tame or buy - to breed them. As the game progresses your animals should become your main means of hauling goods.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

I have a goon in my colony hes been rejected 3x by the same chick and now wont leave his room lol

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I have a custom scenario I like to play that has 4 people at start. Last night I started a new colony and got 3 of the most perfect ubermench neo-humans I've ever rolled... and one guy who only is capable of Social at 12 points, "-" in everything else. Perfect.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Nation posted:

I have a goon in my colony hes been rejected 3x by the same chick and now wont leave his room lol

Is he lazy with creepy breathing?

Do what I did the first time, help a brother out, build a double bed and force him and his crush to sleep together. It totally won't backfire.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

FileNotFound posted:

Is he lazy with creepy breathing?

Do what I did the first time, help a brother out, build a double bed and force him and his crush to sleep together. It totally won't backfire.

lol he is currently having a temper tantrum which involved going to the rice paddies his obsession planted, stripping naked and yelling...

Check out this nutjobs bio

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Nation posted:

lol he is currently having a temper tantrum which involved going to the rice paddies his obsession planted, stripping naked and yelling...

I grantee you that if that colony makes it to the stage where you produce art, someone is going to craft a piece about Vaska Neemor.

On this carving is an illustration of Vaska 'Vas' Neemor prancing nude through rice paddies with no hint of shame . Vas is visibly aroused. The artwork uses an erotic theme and is devoid of any sense of care. This representation relates to Vas walking around naked on the 6th of Summer of 5500.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

FileNotFound posted:

I grantee you that if that colony makes it to the stage where you produce art, someone is going to craft a piece about Vaska Neemor.

On this carving is an illustration of Vaska 'Vas' Neemor prancing nude through rice paddies with no hint of shame . Vas is visibly aroused. The artwork uses an erotic theme and is devoid of any sense of care. This representation relates to Vas walking around naked on the 6th of Summer of 5500.

Artists in this game absolutely love nude art.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Hes gonna sit on the horseshoe pole and claim himself the winner

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Has this happened to anyone else? I got it today.

EDIT:I looked around some more and I guess it is something that can happen. I found the link to get a new key.

Spaseman fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 27, 2016

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Drone posted:

So does refrigeration do nothing? I built a little hut to use as a food stockpile, then put a cooling unit in there and set the temperature to 1 degree Celsius. Food that I stick in there still says that it's not refrigerated.

Edit: nevermind, I had the cooler built backwards :downs:

Thank you for doing your part to combat global warming.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Khisanth Magus posted:

Artists in this game absolutely love nude art.

my art is mostly dogs covered in vomit-based

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

my art is mostly dogs covered in vomit-based

All of my art is about Nathaniel training the family dog. Like we get it Nathaniel goofed off with the dog while the rest of you did real work getting the colony set up. Like Ive had several marriages, multiple raids, a murder and 1.5 years worth of other things. But no every piece of art is about Nathaniel training that dam dog.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I just have a bunch of abstract crazy poo poo about hyenas made of powertools representing futility and poo poo like that.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

So, sometimes the game has a sense of black humor. I tamed a wolf. My trainer named her Lucky. During the first year:

Lucky was hit by lightning and had her eye blown out

Lucky was lit on fire when a boom rat caught on fire and bumped her.

Lucky was hit by a frag grenade thrown by her trainer at a swarm of tribals coming to kill them all

Lucky then wandered through a brush fire and caught on fire again

Lucky decided to go hunting. She had her tail bit off by a turtle

Lucky wandered to close to a siege party. She was hit by another frag grenade. This caused a miscarriage. The same blast killed her mate.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I'd say that is a pretty lucky dog

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Here's a neat mod that turns the surface into Mars, complete with a lack of oxygen outside. Mind you, because pawns are idiots they'll probably dump their spacesuits the second they get too damaged and promptly asphyxiate.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Are there any guides to modding this game? There are a few small things I want to add to my game but I can't find any mods that have anything similar so I figure I should do it myself.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I want to make a dwarf-fortress style animal bomb but I need a mod to do it, I think.

Imagine pirates moving towards your base entrance, a motion sensor detects them, and an animal cryo pod instantly opens, spilling out dozens of boomrats.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Are there any tricks for fixing mod updates breaking save games? I had a pretty successful colony going with most of the high-end research done using the hardcore autosave (whatever its called). The Fallout mod I was using updated yesterday and I can no longer load that save game. I'm ok with starting a new game but I was wondering if there were any tricks to getting the old game to load up again?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Prophecy120 posted:

Are there any tricks for fixing mod updates breaking save games? I had a pretty successful colony going with most of the high-end research done using the hardcore autosave (whatever its called). The Fallout mod I was using updated yesterday and I can no longer load that save game. I'm ok with starting a new game but I was wondering if there were any tricks to getting the old game to load up again?

Depends on the errors. Your best bet would be the old version of the mod from the forum rather than the workshop.

Other option is to basically start a new game with the new mod and see what is difference between the two save games in relation to the mod, you may need to copy some of the definitions over from the new save to the old one. It's simple for small mods and a nightmare for more complex ones. The save games are all xml files and mods add their own sections. It's most likely that the new one is failing to add itself to your existing game.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 28, 2016

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

I keep waiting for your cat to jump. Pls post the youtube for closure.

E: also, this is a good game. I kind of expected a half-assed alpha based on 'alpha' and the tone of the OP. But it feels pretty polished.

Refried Noodle fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 28, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FileNotFound posted:

...from raiders and tribals.

You don't have to be a canibal to use the free meat that walks itself right up to your base.

Though I believe butchering human corpses will give you a mood debuff for the colony.

Nation posted:

Obviously you have to make him an awful quality steel longsword for him to wax poetic about.

Refried Noodle posted:

I keep waiting for your cat to jump. Pls post the youtube for closure.

E: also, this is a good game. I kind of expected a half-assed alpha based on 'alpha' and the tone of the OP. But it feels pretty polished.

I wrote most of the OP before the alpha was even publicly available, it's kind of hard to update it because I still feel that it basically describes the game and I feel like I'd be writing the same thing again. Would you recommend any changes to better illustrate the game?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 28, 2016

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I wrote most of the OP before the alpha was even publicly available, it's kind of hard to update it because I still feel that it basically describes the game and I feel like I'd be writing the same thing again. Would you recommend any changes to better illustrate the game?

I think what threw me off was a phrase like "it's pretty finished, but still an Alpha so buyer beware". Having said that, I can't actually find that in the OP now that I re-read it. It seems fine as is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I found it, it's at the end, I forgot I had that there, I'll rewrite it. Ta!

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Though I believe butchering human corpses will give you a mood debuff for the colony.

True, but so does harvesting both eyes, ears, jaw, 1 lung, stomach, both arms from each prisoner before releasing them to make room for the next batch or organ donors.

As long as you are able to keep your place pretty and clean and have some joy hours allocated, you should still be able to butcher corpses and harvest prisoners without too many issues.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

FileNotFound posted:

As long as you are able to keep your place pretty and clean and have some joy hours allocated, you should still be able to butcher corpses and harvest prisoners without too many issues.

That's one for the OP

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

How the hell do you gently caress up a surgery so badly that instead of installing a brain implant you amputate a leg? I'm very reluctant to have this surgeon now install the peg leg on his "patient".

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Brain surgery is hard man. I've had a doctor trying to install a peg leg accidentally remove somebody's stomach before so give them a little slack ok

*doctor drunkenly shambles into prisoner cell #7 with a prosthetic hand and some anaesthetic* "What was I here to do? oh right you wanted a sex change"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Also I don't know why there isn't a sex change surgery, I'm surprised nobody's modded that in :shrug:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Flesh Forge posted:

Also I don't know why there isn't a sex change surgery, I'm surprised nobody's modded that in :shrug:

I'm sure the devs/valve don't want to have to go through the process of trying to disable a mod only if it's played in North Carolina

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Khisanth Magus posted:

I'm assuming he is talking about something like this:

code:
GSGSGSGSG
G       G
S       S
GGGGDGGGG
G-Granite Block
S-Sandbag
D-Door

This lets your people hide behind the granite block pillars and also have sandbag defenses when leaning out.

this is lifechanging

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Define a "build roof" zone over it, being in darkness helps a lot too.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Flesh Forge posted:

Define a "build roof" zone over it, being in darkness helps a lot too.

Also very useful if you have to fend of an attack during a toxic fallout

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I'm using one of the mods that adds robots to haul and mine and such, and I think I screwed something up because my hauling robot tried to perform surgery.

He managed to cut up the dude's lungs, stomach, and liver, while trying to remove his ear.

Later, he tried to recruit a prisoner.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Gilok posted:

I'm using one of the mods that adds robots to haul and mine and such, and I think I screwed something up because my hauling robot tried to perform surgery.

He managed to cut up the dude's lungs, stomach, and liver, while trying to remove his ear.

Later, he tried to recruit a prisoner.

Sounds like you got the start of an Asimov novel. Keep going and see what happens Dr Calvin.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've downloaded some mods from the Workshop, and activated them in the Mods menu, but they don't seem to register when I start a new game. Am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Usually you have to start a new game, although some can be added in progress - if they add items that can be used in recipes or are part of outfits, you have to go adjust any worktables/bills that might use them and adjust any outfit filters for apparel.