Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
im downloading the dozer mod so i can destroy starbounds progression ladder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

dog kisser posted:

Yeah holy poo poo the Frackin' Universe guy basically rewrote the way I was doing charging weapons entirely rather than updating the awkward way I was doing it and made it loads better. I'm just going to steal from that and rebuild using his stuff rather than restarting from scratch!

thats pretty awesome! Im glad so many members of the modding community are currently working together. A lot of mod makers are trying not to step on other peoples toes so a lot of stuff can work together.

Its a far cry better than those shithead minecraft modders who purposely do things to prevent most mods from working with their stuff. I am very much looking forward to what the starbound mod community can do with the game now that 1.0 is most likely never going to get updated.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
making a modpack for minecraft or bethesda games basically lead to death threats

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

grimcreaper posted:

thats pretty awesome! Im glad so many members of the modding community are currently working together. A lot of mod makers are trying not to step on other peoples toes so a lot of stuff can work together.

Its a far cry better than those shithead minecraft modders who purposely do things to prevent most mods from working with their stuff. I am very much looking forward to what the starbound mod community can do with the game now that 1.0 is most likely never going to get updated.

I'd literally be thrilled if they never update again - or at least, add only content and not change things like 'RateOfFire' to 'ROF' in the JSON stuff because that drives me bonkers.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Rrussom posted:

Also, whats up with the sparse crafting sets per metal tier? only two weapons doesnt make sense

I don't understand why they removed all of the racial weapons and the crafted guns, like what was the the point. All of the assets are done. They worked fine. They were balanced, as well as the rest of the game is balanced, anyway.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Babe Magnet posted:

I don't understand why they removed all of the racial weapons and the crafted guns, like what was the the point. All of the assets are done. They worked fine. They were balanced, as well as the rest of the game is balanced, anyway.

Wow, the gently caress happened here?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

No clue, they just straight up aren't craftable anymore. It's all the generic stuff, now. I think they might still be in the game files, let me check

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Babe Magnet posted:

Easiest way to balance races :v:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Remember how Terraria had a big update adding a lot of stuff for free? I think that's Chucklefish's plan. Re-add all the stuff they took out in a later patch so they can look good with half the work needed.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 28, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Well that's just the thing, they all had the exact same stats, just different appearances, so they were completely balanced. They were slightly weaker than random generated weapons but I guess that was the trade-off for being able to just make one whenever instead of having to rely on RNG. I can see literally no upside to removing them.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

gmq posted:

Remember how Terraria had a big update adding a lot of stuff for free? I think that's Chucklefish's plan. Re-add all the stuff they took out so they can look good.

i have a feeling that wont happen. Im pretty sure their plan is to leave Starbound as is.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
I really want to give Tiy a swirly and dump his books at this point for removing all the fun techs and racial weapons.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

gmq posted:

Remember how Terraria had a big update adding a lot of stuff for free? I think that's Chucklefish's plan. Re-add all the stuff they took out so they can look good.

Terraria has had 3 big updates adding lots of stuff for free. It's why I've played it all the way through probably a dozen times in various incarnations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

grimcreaper posted:

i have a feeling that wont happen. Im pretty sure their plan is to leave Starbound as is.

Mighty Starbound DF-9

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

Babe Magnet posted:

Well that's just the thing, they all had the exact same stats, just different appearances, so they were completely balanced. They were slightly weaker than random generated weapons but I guess that was the trade-off for being able to just make one whenever instead of having to rely on RNG. I can see literally no upside to removing them.

They were actually stronger than random weapons. It pretty much made all the legendary weapons with crazy effects you could loot pointless because you knew they wouldn't be able to measure up to the standard-issue sword you could craft for like 6 bars of whatever the metal for that tier was.

Speaking of old weapons, if anyone still has the old packed.pak or the old assets on their drive I'd appreciate it if they can send them my way, since I need them for modding. I actually made my own copy but then my PC died to a massive hardware failure two weeks before release so now its lost to me.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Were they? Well, either way, still don't see a point in removing them. They could have just made random stuff stronger or something lol

I have the old weapons in an unpacked assets folder on my old hard drive I have to get into later, I'll zip 'em up and upload them somewhere.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
the best part about browsing the workshop for starbound is seeing how many top rated mods change or straight up reverse changes to basic stuff

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

Were they? Well, either way, still don't see a point in removing them. They could have just made random stuff stronger or something lol

I have the old weapons in an unpacked assets folder on my old hard drive I have to get into later, I'll zip 'em up and upload them somewhere.

Same, was genuinely annoyed that the top tier range options were pistol and a bow.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
My favorite "simple" mod is the one that adds the hunger mechanic to Casual Mode. It gives me a little bit of logistics to think about, while still being able to teleport from wherever and not drop my stuff if I die. And if I ever get sick of it, I can just unsubscribe and delete the mod.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Same, was genuinely annoyed that the top tier range options were pistol and a bow.

I'm gonna guess the reasoning was either because they made the top tier ones unique laser swords/pistols/bows and didn't want to bother making laser spears and such to complement them and/or because it forces people to use different kinds of weapons on different tiers instead of always the same, thereby encouraging diversity in playstyles (which would be loving stupid reasoning and the proper way to do it in a sandbox game like this would be to make all the weapons unique and interesting so players actually want to use all the weapons for the variety, rather than forcing them to use a weapon they don't like)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao was looking at starbound workshop mods and I discovered that Bad Rats 2 came out last week

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Babe Magnet posted:

lmao was looking at starbound workshop mods and I discovered that Bad Rats 2 came out last week

Finally something 'good' came out of this month.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I hope they go super shameless when they put all that stuff back in as a "free content pack" and also throw in the terraformng gun from Terraria :v:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I spent an hour building a really crappy house (no backpaneling, just some walls and my building tables and poo poo) and have spent an hour and a half digging holes trying to get into the big open room I fell into and died and dropped all my stuff in. I've fallen in it and died like 5 times.

Game is fun?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

People say to plant flags to teleport to while on planet, but where do I get flags? I can't find any place to craft them.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

you can craft them by hand with copper bars and fabric

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Quidnose posted:

I spent an hour building a really crappy house (no backpaneling, just some walls and my building tables and poo poo) and have spent an hour and a half digging holes trying to get into the big open room I fell into and died and dropped all my stuff in. I've fallen in it and died like 5 times.

Game is fun?

there's a mod that removes fall damage

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arsten posted:

People say to plant flags to teleport to while on planet, but where do I get flags? I can't find any place to craft them.

Press C.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I made it to my stuff and happily picked it all up, then collapsed a slime mountain on me and suffocated to death trying to dig my way out.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Slime's pretty awful ever since they made it collapse like loose silt. You can gently caress the entire mini-biome and a lot of the tunnels beneath it by mining the wrong roof tile.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Then you get your first EPP and suffocation is no longer a problem and total slime collapse is.. fun!

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Quidnose posted:

Game is fun?

When starting the game, select Casual difficulty. That way you only loose 10% of your money on death, rather than 30% and half your inventory. Also, I find climbing ropes do wonders for avoiding fall damage, now that pressing the down key no longer slams you into the ground at speeds literally higher than if you just jumped off the normal way.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

what the...

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't know why you would use any augment for the EPP other than the Light.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

So! Now that 1.0 is finally out and they're not going to retroactively gently caress anything anymore, I've been working towards getting my happy little rock people up to speed. I've been working on a new ship, because I was really disappointed in the old one. It was just a giant ugly diamond shape with a single square room. Not very exciting.

Anyway, here's a work in progress picture of the new one. I wanted something compact, but still with enough room to live in, and I settled on the idea of "Space Camper." Given that they're highly nomadic and not too great with machinery, I figured they'd gravitate towards something that's not too flashy but easy to fix and customize, with a lot of storage space.

The yellow spots are for the thrusters, and the purple spot is where the teleporter will go. It's sunken into the floor because having a bump to walk over in your ship like that bothers me for some reason. You can actually get out onto the roof through that gap in the top, and jump around or put out some deck chairs or whatever. There's an invisible box at the edges of the rails, though, so you can't accidentally space yourself. The open top actually ties into my upgrade plan, too. Instead of having the camper get larger, I thought it would be cool to have a bunch of different ships join your caravan that you could get to from the roof by grav rail or something. I always liked fleets better than big ships anyway.

It's still rough in spots, but I'm pretty happy with it so far. What do you think?

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 28, 2016

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

grimcreaper posted:

there is no :ironicat: big enough for people who get THAT mad people modify their modification to an IP neither of them own.

Like, a little annoyed I can understand, or a reasonable amount of anger if some guy steals it and presents it as their own.

But things like the Elder Scrolls Nether Gate slapfight? Holy poo poo. :psyduck:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Quidnose posted:

Game is fun?

I decided a good use of my time would be sailing one of those lava ocean planets that have gently caress-all on them, until a random meteor one-shot me and all my poo poo sank into the magma. Spent a good chunk of time building a shaft to the bottom of the ocean to get my stuff back.

Play on casual, folks.

Bookmarked the planet though, at this point I might as well make an under-lava base.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

a cartoon duck posted:

I decided a good use of my time would be sailing one of those lava ocean planets that have gently caress-all on them, until a random meteor one-shot me and all my poo poo sank into the magma. Spent a good chunk of time building a shaft to the bottom of the ocean to get my stuff back.

Play on casual, folks.

Bookmarked the planet though, at this point I might as well make an under-lava base.

How did you manage to pump out the lava? I built a base on a lava planet and I am running out of room. I sunk shafts into the lava and sealed them off but the lava level doesn't lower no matter how many thousands of units I pump from the pool.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm at the Ruin now, and performance is poo poo even though the rest of the game runs silky smooth. Like, 10+ second waits for chunks to load levels of poo poo. Anyone else have that issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

How did you manage to pump out the lava? I built a base on a lava planet and I am running out of room. I sunk shafts into the lava and sealed them off but the lava level doesn't lower no matter how many thousands of units I pump from the pool.

The only way to get rid of infinite liquids is to isolate a shaft, then fill it with back- and foreground blocks. Then you break the foreground blocks and the liquid stays gone.