Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MikeCrotch posted:

Surely there have been designs with untested technology in the past that haven't been such big cockups as the Ford and the JSF program though? Admittedly i'm drawing a blank trying to think of one...

Sure, but it was a lot more common for the company to work those kinks out on its own dime, rather than the government basically writing a blank check at the beginning of a program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
On the F-35, it is interesting to see that the USAF plans for a next-generation air superiority fighter, called Penetrating Counter Air, basically for no existing R&D. The USAF said in the 2030 study that the service cannot afford to combine technology advances and aircraft development programs. That is a pretty strong repudiation of the whole F-22 and F-35 era of development.

The Pope
Feb 18, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

You remember when Trump, during a GOP debate, bragged about the size of his dick?

Well, he's outdone himself

lol jezebel link. You do realize the email leaks show that it and nearly every leftist site, even the goddamn Washington Post, are sucking on the DNC and hilldogs dick right? Plus journalists are scum. We need common sense laws on the First Amendment.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

:fuckoff:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Pope posted:

We need common sense laws on the First Amendment.

Go on, tell us more about the restriction of free speech

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

The Pope posted:

lol jezebel link. You do realize the email leaks show that it and nearly every leftist site, even the goddamn Washington Post, are sucking on the DNC and hilldogs dick right? Plus journalists are scum. We need common sense laws on the First Amendment.

I watched the press conference and it was exactly as batshit as described, so yeah, I guess, whatever

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Godholio posted:

Sure, but it was a lot more common for the company to work those kinks out on its own dime, rather than the government basically writing a blank check at the beginning of a program.

During the cold war the contractors could do that because budgets were large and predictable. For the last few decades that hasn't been the case, so huge swathes of the industrial base gets laid off and moves on. Then the next procurement has to start from scratch without experienced people, and that costs time and money.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Arglebargle III posted:

Don't they have two competing companies doing that production run?

you're thinking of LCS

which is basically F-35 on the water

Virginia-class has both Electric Boat and Newport News manufacturing specific components on every boat while they alternate integration, so it's not really a "competition" set-up

PhotoKirk posted:

The Russians had pretty good system for Arm Loading.

this needed more love

also yeah a US presidential candidate from one of the two major parties literally encouraged a foreign intelligence service to commit espionage on US soil to interfere with an election

that is literally what happened

:psyboom:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Oh, Jesus Christ, it was obviously literally a joke. And a funny one, way funnier than "I've outlawed Russia, the bombing begins in 5 minutes," or "The ASU Board of Regents will soon learn all about being audited by the IRS."

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

The Pope posted:

Lol trusting files with document metadata created after they were kicked off the DNC's network, and last edited on a computer with Russian language settings.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Everything he says is stupid. It's only a joke because supporters want it to be.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Similarly to how he was "joking" when he stated he wouldn't honor Article V commitments if he didn't feel like it?

It's not a joke, it's just his mind-blowingly retarded stream of consciousness

e: that's the charitable interpretation. The uncharitable one is that he's (whether knowingly or unwittingly via his advisors) actively doing the Kremlin's bidding

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 28, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

iyaayas01 posted:

you're thinking of LCS

which is basically F-35 on the water

Counterpoint: the F‐35 is okay, eventually. LCS is a procurement failure and a poo poo ship.

LingcodKilla posted:

Everything he says is stupid. It's only a joke because supporters want it to be.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

The Pope posted:

While I agree jezebel is terrible please dont invite this sort of discussion into a good thread.

In other news the stealth flying wing unmanned carrier tanker officially got named. The MQ-25 Stingray: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MQ-25_Stingray

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

iyaayas01 posted:

also yeah a US presidential candidate from one of the two major parties literally encouraged a foreign intelligence service to commit espionage on US soil to interfere with an election

Guh, I hate Loud Orange Man and politics in the War Thread, but:

1. HRC's server is in an evidence vault in some FBI building somewhere. It is not connected to the Internet.
2. If a foreign intelligence service committed espionage on US soil and obtained correspondence from it, it would have happened while it was in a strip-mall ISP and maintained by morons.
3. if 2 occurred, it has already happened and other states' intelligence services already have the correspondence, conducted by the Secretary of State on a Fisher-Price server, over a period of years.

It seemed pretty clear that he wasn't begging the Russians to conduct cyber war against the US, because the server is not accessible except by some Call of Duty Spetznaz raid against an FBI facility. The joke was "since hackers working for Russia, China, North Korea, Israel, India, France, Burkina Faso, Tuvalu, and the Orkney Liberation Front probably already have all the correspondence off this shitshow of a mail server, could you please share it with us, because we can't seem to find anything on it".

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Like he knows any of that.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
/\ this /\

also the part about interfering in elections. Even if you accept that he was "joking" to point at the email server security issue because lol they already have it all, he directly encouraged foreign intelligence services to release it in order to interfere in an American election

that's not a loving joke, that's something that should terrify anyone who has half a brain cell

CarForumPoster posted:

While I agree jezebel is terrible please dont invite this sort of discussion into a good thread.

In other news the stealth flying wing unmanned carrier tanker officially got named. The MQ-25 Stingray: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MQ-25_Stingray

from that wiki article (emphasis mine):

quote:

It also addresses the carriers' need for an organic refueling aircraft, proposed as a mission for the UCLASS since 2014, freeing up the 20-30 percent of Super Hornets performing the mission in a more capable and cost effective manner than modifying the F-35 (not appropriate for that mission among others), V-22 Osprey (only slightly better than the F-35), and E-2D Hawkeye (old airframes), or bringing the retired S-3 Viking back into service (embarrassing)

loving lol

also double lol if the Navy picks the Avenger

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 28, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LingcodKilla posted:

Like he knows any of that.

Now let’s talk about the nuclear triad.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Platystemon posted:

Nuclear is ~The Power~, you know.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

iyaayas01 posted:

from that wiki article (emphasis mine):

quote:

It also addresses the carriers' need for an organic refueling aircraft, proposed as a mission for the UCLASS since 2014, freeing up the 20-30 percent of Super Hornets performing the mission in a more capable and cost effective manner than modifying the F-35 (not appropriate for that mission among others), V-22 Osprey (only slightly better than the F-35), and E-2D Hawkeye (old airframes), or bringing the retired S-3 Viking back into service (embarrassing)
loving lol

That is completely and utterly inaccurate.

E-2D's are all new-build airframes. The proposed KE-2 tanker would be made from converted E-2C's, which are all old as loving dirt.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Platystemon posted:

The strange thing about this is all his criticism of ICBM dense packing from the late 80s, he did actually know and care about this at one point in his life. :psyduck:

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60ihI7VU2OY

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Paging Dr. Baloogan, is this a CMANO scenario yet?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

CarForumPoster posted:

I would say that this is a loving inspired choice of name, but the Navy doesn't do flying boom do they?

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 28, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

PittTheElder posted:

I would say that this is a loving inspired choice of name, but the Navy doesn't do flying wing do they?

Well there's the X-47b.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Oh hey guys the Candidate who has made multiple overtures to Putin, has a campaign director who was on Putin's payroll, who's business is heavily invested in Russia and has doubled down on de-commitments to NATO said Russia should hack his political rival. Surely it was only a joke with that track record.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

That Works posted:

Oh hey guys the Candidate who has made multiple overtures to Putin, has a campaign director who was on Putin's payroll, who's business is heavily invested in Russia and has doubled down on de-commitments to NATO said Russia should hack his political rival. Surely it was only a joke with that track record.

https://twitter.com/colbertlateshow/status/758445316886585345?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Enourmo posted:

Well there's the X-47b.

Bah, meant flying boom. Image just won't be the same if it's trailing multiple drogues, rather than the one boom.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I can't imagine it'll be big enough for multiple drogues. Probably just a centerline.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ah, yeah, if it's a single drogue that'd be a fantastic name.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Well, here is the first pass on my 'Keepers' folder from Oshkosh this year. https://imgur.com/a/vXn1R

This one turned out kinda good.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing all the F-4's are privately owned now?

I want one.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Slo-Tek posted:

Well, here is the first pass on my 'Keepers' folder from Oshkosh this year. https://imgur.com/a/vXn1R

This one turned out kinda good.

HOLY loving poo poo

:gizz:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Akion posted:

I'm guessing all the F-4's are privately owned now?

I want one.

No, just the one.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The F4 looks like someone crashed face-first into a door and somehow their scrambled face came out real sexy.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The F-4 is the result of committing wholeheartedly to the concept that if some thrust is good, then more thrust is better and in fact all problems, including global communism, can be solved by burning more JP-4 within the altar of our lord and savior, the J79.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I have a friend that races Jet Dragsters. He drives one that looks like Thomas the loving tank engine and is powered by a J-79.

It's glorious.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

War is Boring is having a broken clock moment right now and published this interesting article about the attack on the USS Stark back in 1987:

https://warisboring.com/in-1987-a-secret-iraqi-warplane-struck-an-american-frigate-and-killed-37-sailors-b341a948fa21#.11tlpowsu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Akion posted:

I have a friend that races Jet Dragsters. He drives one that looks like Thomas the loving tank engine and is powered by a J-79.

It's glorious.

Yeah, I'm gonna need a picture of this for...reasons