Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I'd be curious if any complete idiot has ever not paid 90+% off on xtremeguard's stuff. I'm betting there are a few. Probably their strategy - price Chinese junk so high then offer a stupid high discount. Wait on unsuspecting people to buy a few full priced items each month to supplement the low margins from the masses with coupons.

Seems to work I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

nimper posted:

What "free" phone do you get for 10 bucks a month?

Looks like an LG K7 or K10, Samsung Galaxy On5 or a Samsung Galaxy J7.

I haven't compared any of them but those are the options.

Desk Lamp posted:

Even with a custom ROM, I really doubt the S3 could run Pokémon Go with anything approaching playability.

Shucks. How much could I get for an S3 on craigslist, you think?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Am I correct in my understanding that the newer Nexus devices only quick charge with a USB-C to USB-C cable (and compatible charger)? None of my Quick Charge 2.0 chargers would work to quick charge with a USB to USB-C cable?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You get the "charging rapidly" toast if the charger reports that it's Max USB Current is 3A.

That said, real world, there's very little difference.

I just did a test with my Nexus 5x.

I tried three chargers, the stock charger, an Anker QC 2.0 charger, and an Anker QC 3.0 charger.

The charger ratings:

Stock - 3A@5V
QC 2.0 - 2A@5V
QC 3.0 - 3A@5V

So, how did the phone react when the starting at around 15% charge? I used Ampere to test them.

On the stock charger, it reported that the Max USB Curr was 3000mA. It settled into a charge rate of about 2530mA.

The QC 3.0 charger reported Max USB Curr as 1500mA. However, it settled into a charge rate of about 2390mA.

The QC 2.0 charger reported Max USB Curr as 1500mA as well. Despite the 2A rating on the casing, it settled into a charge rate of about 2180mA.

So, between the QC 2.0 charger and the stock charger, the charge rate difference was 350mA. So, about a 16% difference in charge rate. If the phone would normally charge in 90 minutes from flat on the stock charger, the QC 2.0 charger would take about 15 minutes longer.

But actually, it wouldn't. The battery only charges at a high rate when it's highly depleted. As the charge increases, the phone backs off the current. So, you are really only looking at a 16% penalty when the phone is below 30% or so. Once it gets much beyond it, the charge rate will be within reach of pretty much any high capacity charger.

So, while you won't necessarily get the "Charging Rapidly" toast out of any of the QC 2.0 chargers using a USB-A to C adapter. I don't know that there's going to be an appreciably large difference in charge times.

The holy grail over chargers will be an if Anker ever releases a QC 3.0 charger with both a USB A and USB C port that's capable of 3A@5V. That will be able to charge pretty much anything at max rate.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 28, 2016

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Wow. Thanks for that incredibly detailed answer. That's helpful.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

You know what I hated? That decade where everything worked correctly with every charger.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

You know what I hated? That decade where everything worked correctly with every charger.

When, exactly was that?

Certainly wasn't in the flip phone days.

Certainly wasn't when smartphones first came out when you had to find USB cables with shorted pins to trick some phones into charging beyond 500mA.

Certainly wasn't when the largest Android OEM and Apple were both using proprietary signaling methods to allow >1A charging.

Charging has always been a hot mess. It's probably in the best place it's ever been right now since you can almost guarantee a phone will charge with at least 2A.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 28, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

When, exactly was that?

Certainly wasn't in the flip phone days.

Certainly wasn't when smartphones first came out when you had to find USB cables with shorted pins to trick some phones into charging beyond 500mA.

Certainly wasn't when the largest Android OEM and Apple were both using proprietary signaling methods to allow >1A charging.

Charging has always been a hot mess. It's probably in the best place it's ever been right now since you can almost guarantee a phone will charge with at least 2A.

Eh, I've never needed a phone to charge at more than 500mA so every charger works for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

Eh, I've never needed a phone to charge at more than 500mA so every charger works for me.

Then nothing really has changed then.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Then nothing really has changed then.

Except that none of my chargers will work on a future device, sure. Given that I have more money in chargers than a new device will cost me that's not trivial.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

Except that none of my chargers will work on a future device, sure. Given that I have more money in chargers than a new device will cost me that's not trivial.

That's not true though. If they have a removable cable, just get an A-C cable. If they have built in cables, just get microA to C adapters.

The chargers are fine. You might have to spend $10 in cables or adapters. That's it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

LastInLine posted:

500ma won't even keep your battery flat if you are using gps/nav. Trust me, its *very* nice to drop your phone on the charger for 20 minutes and be back to 70%+.

If you have that much money in chargers think about have many few you will need. And how cheap micro->C adapters are.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I just threw my Nexus 5x on on my goddamn 9 year old Zune charger and it's charging.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

None of my chargers have any wires at all. :negative:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I want to see a cost breakdown for this. I just moved to a 6P and replaced every charger and cable in my life with USB C and QC 3.0 (one for home, one for work, one for the car, one for my bag, five spare cables, and two adapters) for under $75, so I'd like to see how you even defend this.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Android Thread - Defend your purchase and provide receipts.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

LastInLine posted:

None of my chargers have any wires at all. :negative:

My wireless charger was the best thing I bought for my N5. :hfive:

waitaminute...

Also, I don't care if it is slower, gently caress Google for removing Qi charging for the new models.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

I want to see a cost breakdown for this. I just moved to a 6P and replaced every charger and cable in my life with USB C and QC 3.0 (one for home, one for work, one for the car, one for my bag, five spare cables, and two adapters) for under $75, so I'd like to see how you even defend this.

I have five Tylt Vus that I paid about $75 each for. Plugging cables into things is some 1990s caveman poo poo.

Mister Macys posted:

My wireless charger was the best thing I bought for my N5. :hfive:

waitaminute...

Also, I don't care if it is slower, gently caress Google for removing Qi charging for the new models.

Preach on, brother!

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

bull3964 posted:

You get the "charging rapidly" toast if the charger reports that it's Max USB Current is 3A.

That said, real world, there's very little difference.

I just did a test with my Nexus 5x.

I tried three chargers, the stock charger, an Anker QC 2.0 charger, and an Anker QC 3.0 charger.

The charger ratings:

Stock - 3A@5V
QC 2.0 - 2A@5V
QC 3.0 - 3A@5V

So, how did the phone react when the starting at around 15% charge? I used Ampere to test them.

On the stock charger, it reported that the Max USB Curr was 3000mA. It settled into a charge rate of about 2530mA.

The QC 3.0 charger reported Max USB Curr as 1500mA. However, it settled into a charge rate of about 2390mA.

The QC 2.0 charger reported Max USB Curr as 1500mA as well. Despite the 2A rating on the casing, it settled into a charge rate of about 2180mA.

So, between the QC 2.0 charger and the stock charger, the charge rate difference was 350mA. So, about a 16% difference in charge rate. If the phone would normally charge in 90 minutes from flat on the stock charger, the QC 2.0 charger would take about 15 minutes longer.

But actually, it wouldn't. The battery only charges at a high rate when it's highly depleted. As the charge increases, the phone backs off the current. So, you are really only looking at a 16% penalty when the phone is below 30% or so. Once it gets much beyond it, the charge rate will be within reach of pretty much any high capacity charger.

So, while you won't necessarily get the "Charging Rapidly" toast out of any of the QC 2.0 chargers using a USB-A to C adapter. I don't know that there's going to be an appreciably large difference in charge times.

The holy grail over chargers will be an if Anker ever releases a QC 3.0 charger with both a USB A and USB C port that's capable of 3A@5V. That will be able to charge pretty much anything at max rate.

Hmmm... so Ampere can report the 'Max USB Curr' correctly then? Interesting. I was doing some testing the other day with the stock charger and cable, Anker PowerCore, Anker PowerPort, and Anker USC-C cable, charging my 6P. I tried all possible combinations and with all of them, Ampere consistently reported the Max USB Curr as 1800mA. Even while it measuring far more than that, even when the 6P was displaying the 'charging rapidly' message. I just figured that particular feature of the app was broken.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I had a period of about nine months where my tablet and phone both used the same charge connector and it was great!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I have five Tylt Vus that I paid about $75 each for. Plugging cables into things is some 1990s caveman poo poo.

Nobody forced you to go all-in with the Betamax of charging options. All of your devices still could have charged with MicroUSB cables. Wireless charging is dead. Deal with it :c00lbert:

edit: well, Smart Watches will probably always use wireless charging, but it seems to be dead with phones

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

chippy posted:

Hmmm... so Ampere can report the 'Max USB Curr' correctly then? Interesting. I was doing some testing the other day with the stock charger and cable, Anker PowerCore, Anker PowerPort, and Anker USC-C cable, charging my 6P. I tried all possible combinations and with all of them, Ampere consistently reported the Max USB Curr as 1800mA. Even while it measuring far more than that, even when the 6P was displaying the 'charging rapidly' message. I just figured that particular feature of the app was broken.

Can't say for sure, can only say what I've seen with my 5x.

With any USB A based chargers, it consistently says 1500mA for Max USB Curr. I tried a few different USB C chargers (one that came with the 5x, my HP Chromebook 13 charger, and my Pixel C charger) and they all said 3000mA for Max USB Curr.

Still, all chargers seemed to allow the phone to draw more than 2A when charging.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
USB-C is amazing and good and hail our new reversible connector future, but it would be super swell to have Qi charging back. There's a perfectly good use case for both methods.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
What pisses me off about USB-C is that it reminds me that the engineers were too loving dumb to make usb-A 10 wire instead of 5.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

LastInLine posted:

Preach on, brother!
I only bought one, but I've had my 6P since launch day and haven't sold it yet. I maintain hope, for no apparent reason.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My Nexus 5x is being dumb. If I plug in the charger, its "charging." If I flip the cable over and plug it in again its "charging rapidly." I tried different cables, bought new cables, etc. I think it's my charging port in the phone. Is there a way to clean these out? I blew it like a Nintendo cartridge, also blew some canned air in it with no difference in function.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
whats a good adblock program for android?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jose posted:

Nothing?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Jose posted:

Firefox with uBlock Origin

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Syrinxx posted:

Seconded. Pretty much just this until ChromeOS's APK handling matures and Google introduces it to phones.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Syrinxx posted:

This is what I use. It actually led me to use Firefox both on mobile and PC.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Yeah either Firefox with uBlock origin or this here:

https://m.adguard.com/en/welcome.html

Works great on my Nexus 7 in proxy mode. Haven't had a chance to test their VPN implementation since I don't own an android phone at the moment.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

bronin posted:

Yeah either Firefox with uBlock origin or this here:

https://m.adguard.com/en/welcome.html

Works great on my Nexus 7 in proxy mode. Haven't had a chance to test their VPN implementation since I don't own an android phone at the moment.

Subscription ad-block is about the same moral level as subscription antivirus.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Subscription ad-block is about the same moral level as subscription antivirus.

I'm assuming that it works similar to Pi-Hole since bronin mentioned a VPN implementation. Gotta pay for servers somehow.

But yeah, who wants to pay to block ads?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

tbf you only pay if you want system wide blocking but there's always :filez: too seeing as it's android

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
The latest OTA security update broke my Nexus 9, the only fix I found was to manually flash the Android N preview. If only carriers would insist on spending time testing these updates before approving them maybe this type of thing wouldn't happen.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

CornHolio posted:

Looks like an LG K7 or K10, Samsung Galaxy On5 or a Samsung Galaxy J7.

I haven't compared any of them but those are the options.

Shucks. How much could I get for an S3 on craigslist, you think?

Any thoughts on these phones?

I mean, I know they're all gonna be poo poo, but they're my free options.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

ratbert90 posted:

What pisses me off about USB-C is that it reminds me that the engineers were too loving dumb to make usb-A 10 wire instead of 5.

Or that the front face of the connector isn't rounded, so its sharp metal edges can scratch up your charging port if you don't plug it in with surgical precision. Or that the internal detents wear out so rapidly that insertion feel is total mush after a month. Or is this just a Nexus 5X thing?

For a connector standard Apple thought was good enough to make the only one present on their new MacBooks, I kind of expected better. I hope they were able to improve on what LG couldn't.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 28, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CornHolio posted:

Any thoughts on these phones?

I mean, I know they're all gonna be poo poo, but they're my free options.

My friend swapped his S3 for a J7. He's not a power user, mainly Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat, but has no complaints other than the notification light not working (I think he's debating on getting a replacement).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

CornHolio posted:

I managed to get her old phone working though, since then. It's fully reset, and works good though it's not currently on a plan or anything. My plan was to give it to my daughter for her birthday coming up, because she really wants to get in on this Pokemon Go thing.

Problem is, the S3 will only run up to Android 4.3, while Pokemon Go requires 4.4 or later.

What are my options, if any? I can get a phone for free through T-mobile with a two year contract, and to add her would only be ten a month. But I'd rather use the phone that I have and not have that contract, if possible.

I don't know how old your kid is, so this is going to be different depending on the kid's age. I just got mine a phone for Pokemon Go and so far it's working out really well. I bought him the BLU R1 HD off of Amazon, which is only $60 for a brand new phone. It's got advertisements from Amazon on the lock screen, but he doesn't give a poo poo, because he just got a phone.

Anyway, my kid is only 4, so he's never out and about by himself. Which means he doesn't actually need the phone to function as a phone, more like a tiny tablet. His phone has no SIM in it, and I did not put it on any cell plan. He's always with either his dad or me, so I just turn on the hotspot on my phone and his phone connects to it via wifi and uses my data. On Tmobile tethering is free, so that doesn't cost me anything.

I don't know if that's an option for you, but if it is, it's cheap and works great. We've been out as a family playing Pokemon Go almost every day. Even if you are going to go with adding cell service to the phone, I'm pretty impressed with the BLU for the price (though you gotta get the $60 one and not the $50 one). The only real drawbacks I've noticed (which are again, not a big deal given the price) is that it doesn't have NFC, it won't detect 5G Wifi networks, and it doesn't have any kind of quick charge capability.

I do sometimes feel like maybe I'm insane for buying a smartphone for a 4 year old, but the game is a family activity for us, it's keeping us active, and it's giving me a lot of opportunities to teach him about numbers.