Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
LOS fuckery like the one in this latest video update can lead to some really :xcom: moments like a mission I ran yesterday where moving one of my soldiers to a position in the middle of the rest of my squad somehow got him line of sight on not one, but two whole enemy pods.
I was really tempted to just reload especially after dealing with two of the three I was busy with a fourth pod with a DLC enemy popped up, but ran with it and managed to get through it with 4 out of my 6 soldiers Gravely Wounded.

Also while I am trying to get more use out of pure Snipers, my one Sniper Sharpshooter with almost 130 Aim keeps missing all of his Killzone shots.
:xcom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Stun lancers that get a turn always make me clench a little, especially when it's your own character :ohdear:

Doesn't help when Guava is cackling manically at the thought of something bad happening.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Man Whore stole the spotlight despite being horrible.

Meanwhile, Ciaphas mowed down like, 3 enemies, all with critical shots. Definitely a Gift Horse.

Oh yeah, Manwhore is a heck of a special snowflake, meanwhile sergeant Ciaphas silently goes like usual and hoards xp by being badass.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jul 28, 2016

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
My guy showed up in the recruit list :3:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

eating only apples posted:

My guy showed up in the recruit list :3:

Nothing yet for me. :(

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Ciaphas Cain is leading the resistance this game I see.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Gridlocked posted:

I am not sure if anyone's directly pointed this out yet but I really love how you essentially are a terrorist organisation in XCOM2. You're not fighting a proper war, you're not an open rebellion against the system; you're a straight up covert group of hotheads, freedom fighters and, in some cases if you look at the default character bio's, coldblooded killers. Trying to force out the Advent regime through anti-Advent propaganda, bombings of their facilities, abduction of their personnel and straight up sending groups of armed paramilitary troopers into their cities, with civies everywhere; killing their members, stealing their poo poo and blowing whole buildings up just because they are in the way.

You fight dirty because it's the only way you can win, and it's amazing. I'd really love more stuff to be released on how say the everyday citizens living in Advent funded cities perceive XCOM's actions.

They made the aliens absurdly evil so they wouldn't have to deal with any of this grey morality. It really looks like Firaxis is afraid of anything that isn't black and white - see XCOM1 and how they dodged anything interesting about aggressive cyborg modifications or fighting humans (although at least Exalt had red blood, which made every fight with them immediately feel far more visceral and wrong).

AhrimanPK
Oct 9, 2012

'Ello 'Ello 'Ello

My name's Clive Owen!
Guava seems to be even more pro alien than in the last LP. I approve.

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.
I remember that one Stream from jade, with like half a dozen civilians on that one cargo Container, which he promptly mined to kill the two or three aliens sitting beside Them.

You know, Because we are the good guys :v:

Killing a dozen civilians on a normal Mission, no sweat
But dont You dare losing a Single civilian in a retaliation Mission, bradfords gonna berate You for HOURS

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
I was also disappointed in the utter lack of a grey scale.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Snake tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiits

I really like Viper's as enemies, I'd rather go up against a Viper than a Stun Lancer plus I really enjoy what something related to Viper's happens later.

Well 'enjoy' is the wrong word. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
distinctive human features :haw:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

DatonKallandor posted:

They made the aliens absurdly evil so they wouldn't have to deal with any of this grey morality. It really looks like Firaxis is afraid of anything that isn't black and white - see XCOM1 and how they dodged anything interesting about aggressive cyborg modifications or fighting humans (although at least Exalt had red blood, which made every fight with them immediately feel far more visceral and wrong).

The XCOM/UFO Series is about shooting aliens, not gray area moralizing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Angry Lobster posted:

Oh yeah, Manwhore is a heck of a special snowflake, meanwhile sergeant Ciaphas silently goes like usual and hoards xp by being badass.

And featuring Alessandra once again as "person who is also there, kills maybe one person."

Kinda funny how that goes with her being by far the most drab, professionally dressed person on the team.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 28, 2016

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I love how Man Whore starts off whiffing every shot and then at the end panics, runs into fire and then kills someone.

"Oh poo poo, I'm becoming a joke! Um...um...WITNESS ME!"

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
I was so incredibly stoked when I first encountered the procedurally generated scarring and such. I was starting a mission, in the Skyranger, and suddenly realized there was a huge scar on my grenadier's cheek. I started checking out the others and realized they were all so grizzled veterans, clear in their face...
...and then there was my psiop who managed to never get shot or burned and was unharmed. I changed her nickname to Babyface before the final mission.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

I was so incredibly stoked when I first encountered the procedurally generated scarring and such. I was starting a mission, in the Skyranger, and suddenly realized there was a huge scar on my grenadier's cheek. I started checking out the others and realized they were all so grizzled veterans, clear in their face...
...and then there was my psiop who managed to never get shot or burned and was unharmed. I changed her nickname to Babyface before the final mission.

Between their immunities and their brutality a psi-operative is certainly the one who'd end up uninjured.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The regions and their connections are all randomly generated, the number of regions is constant but which ones you get isn't. My first game didn't have a connection between North and South america, I had to eat my way through most of europe, asia, and africa only to find out that it's contintent bonus was Future Combat, right after I had already bought all my GTS projects :shepicide:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Lunethex posted:

Ciaphas Cain is leading the resistance this game I see.

Ciaphas Cain, HERO OF THE RESISTANCE!!

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Man Whore's gonna be the LP darling, I can feel it. :3:

The point we're at, now that the Avatar Project is active, shows what I love about the tactical layer of XCOM 2; it's designed like a boardgame and reminds me a ton of stuff like Pandemic or Arkham/Eldritch Horror. In fact, the combat layer as well has that boardgame feeling of extremely tight and clear design.

Too bad the actual XCOM boardgame blows hard.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pyroi posted:

Ciaphas Cain, HERO OF THE RESISTANCE!!

Here's hoping Alessandra comes into her own. Maybe snipers in X-COM 2 are one of those classes that only blooms at higher levels.

On the other hand, I think this is the first mission where she's actually hit with her pistol.

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!

radintorov posted:

LOS fuckery

Hulk also entered a forward square while moving. Iron Man attempts taught me that if you can afford a way point to shift your pathing arc, do it always.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,I checked the character pool. To my relief,my guy is in there. But he doesn't seem to have the ADVENT Armor? Did the JAIDS break it or something? Actually,I don't know the proper protocol for this-should I PM Jade the Steam Workshop link? Or email it to him? Or just leave it?

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
It will never not bother me how a viper's tongue comes out of what looks like the glottis. Just a big ol tongue, clogging up the whole wind pipe

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The character pool is bad and doesn't save anything properly. Just assume your character is showing up in the wrong outfit every time.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Manwhole miss all shots
He would miss more in panic
But he's on fire

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

heh, man hole

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Hey Jade - at some point you should run a guerilla mission with the LW Toolbox and squad size cranked up to max, just for the ridiculous reaction fire camera panning.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Doesn't running through water also put out fire? I know it's kind of situational, but I could have sworn I've seen it work.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

seaborgium posted:

Doesn't running through water also put out fire? I know it's kind of situational, but I could have sworn I've seen it work.

It does, even if the water is frozen.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Lunethex posted:

The character pool is bad and doesn't save anything properly. Just assume your character is showing up in the wrong outfit every time.

As long as one of the characters show up talking like Tommy Wiseau.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Radio posted:

Hulk also entered a forward square while moving. Iron Man attempts taught me that if you can afford a way point to shift your pathing arc, do it always.

How do you do waypoints? I could never figure it out.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

seaborgium posted:

Apparently it's not all water, because I've tried sending a burning soldier through a shallow part of a fountain in a city map, and it did nothing.

Kurieg posted:

How do you do waypoints? I could never figure it out.

Hold Control, and right click to set the waypoints. Your available movement radius will shrink as you do so. Right click again on your desired final waypoint to execute the move.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

InfinityComplex posted:

As long as one of the characters show up talking like Tommy Wiseau.

Jade Star, you're tearing me apart!

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Feinne posted:

You're shredding me apart, Jade Star!

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.
I like how they said the aliens no longer needed to use an infiltration unit when we discovered the Thin Man's replacement, the Viper, despite us previously encountering the Faceless, an infiltration unit.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

GVOLTT posted:

I like how they said the aliens no longer needed to use an infiltration unit when we discovered the Thin Man's replacement, the Viper, despite us previously encountering the Faceless, an infiltration unit.

Yeah, that's what I've always found kind of silly. Then again, Thin Men were fairly easily recognized, whereas Faceless are pretty much impossible to visually identify until they become Fuzzy Wuzzy.

Also, Jade's disappointed commentators would probably have rather been rather delighted if Jade had gotten my mission/luck on camera. Supply mission, a missed shot during the initial ambush destroys cover and reveals a pod of an Officer and 2 Lancers. Which basically gives the Lancers a free turn to run up and swipe at my troops. The RNG gives them both Unconscious, so both my Ranger and Support-Medic spent the vast majority of the mission doing the Downward Facing Sectoid.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

zyxophoj posted:

On top of that, it's not a turn-ending ability, so the viper can immediately follow it up by constricting.

I feel like that's the better option, really. Because otherwise you'd have just had a guy pulled out of cover into very close range of (potentially) multiple enemies. That never ends well. I've never seen the enemies shoot at a constricted unit.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

One thing I do think is kind of weird is that the images for the Avatar project are ethereals, which I don't think anyone has seen in the xcom 2 timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Grapplejack posted:

One thing I do think is kind of weird is that the images for the Avatar project are ethereals, which I don't think anyone has seen in the xcom 2 timeline.

Isn't one present at the peace ceremony, behind the Thin Man shaking hands? There's also plenty of statues.

• Locked thread