Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

for winter olympics events take place hundreds of miles from each other why did they cram poo poo like golf courses built on nature preserves and swimming in polluted bays into rio instead of move them to whereever the rich nazi's descendants live?

ya basically why didnt they go up or down the coast to where it isnt literal sewage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

We are a week from the start of the games and we already have:

-Athlete Fails Drug Tests
-Widespread bribery/corruption allegations (Why isn't this the free space?)
-Athelete kidnapped or seriously injured

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kavak posted:

We are a week from the start of the games and we already have:

-Athlete Fails Drug Tests
-Widespread bribery/corruption allegations (Why isn't this the free space?)
-Athelete kidnapped or seriously injured

I think the card was completed already

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Phlegmish posted:

they already tried this

If at first you don't succeed....

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

they already tried this
It's amazing to think that there's so much naked, open corruption in the Brazilian government right now that the country would probably be better off in the long run if the military coup'd itself back into power.

RE: Missionary work chat - one one hand, you don't want people who are unqualified building walls and poo poo like that. On the other hand, if you give money in the hopes that qualified people do the job you have to remember that this Brazil so someone will pocket 90% of the donation money and then spend the other 10% hiring unqualified people to build walls and poo poo like that.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Dreddout posted:

If at first you don't succeed....

...set up a complex hidden doping system, get caught, get stripped of a poo poo ton of previous wins, then whine that the prize is worthless when you can't compete in it any more.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Crazy Ted posted:

It's amazing to think that there's so much naked, open corruption in the Brazilian government right now that the country would probably be better off in the long run if the military coup'd itself back into power.

RE: Missionary work chat - one one hand, you don't want people who are unqualified building walls and poo poo like that. On the other hand, if you give money in the hopes that qualified people do the job you have to remember that this Brazil so someone will pocket 90% of the donation money and then spend the other 10% hiring unqualified people to build walls and poo poo like that.

It would not. Last time we had that, the military themselves proved to be just as corrupt as the civil are, and nominated several know dirty politicians to high positions to aid then on that

EDIT: vvvvvvv I support that

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 28, 2016

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Elias_Maluco posted:

It would not. Last time we had that, the military themselves proved to be just as corrupt as the civil are, and nominated several know dirty politicians to high positions to aid then on that
Well then that settles it. Just have the annual Miss BumBum winner made Dictator by decree for a year.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Elias_Maluco posted:

EDIT: vvvvvvv I support that

hachi machi

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

Well then that settles it. Just have the annual Miss BumBum winner made Dictator by decree for a year.

I am OK with this.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

LOL gently caress YES THEY STOLE THE TORCH HOLY poo poo.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Microwaves Mom posted:

LOL gently caress YES THEY STOLE THE TORCH HOLY poo poo.

I gotta say, that ranks up there in the "Achievement unlocked" type stuff.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shappa posted:

I think this might be my favorite thing that has happened so far.

Here's a link to article on the incident:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/07/28/protesters-in-brazil-halt-olympic-torch-relay-and-extinguish-its-flame/

It ended with riot police beating and gassing the crowd.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Is there a way to tweet other favelas and encourage them to steal any other torches they see?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

im so going to lose my bet that rio olympics will be safe

c'mon opening ceremonies spewing forth kindness and comraderie

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Microwaves Mom posted:

Is there a way to tweet other favelas and encourage them to steal any other torches they see?

#torched

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Torch doused, Olympics cancelled

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Torch doused, Olympics cancelled

They gotta restart the run back in Greece

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the ioc's next step will be claiming their ownership of the concept of language. if you try to communicate with anyone in any way, they will sue your rear end. every government in the world inexplicably goes along with it.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

KomodoWagon posted:

Good loving luck trying to sue someone over putting "2016" on their product in 2016 AD

You might have had more luck in 2016 BC because back then people didn't know we'd be counting years this way

You say that, but a video game studio just ended a 3yr legal battle to use the word "sky" in their game's name last month.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/17/no-mans-sky-developer-ends-legal-nonsense-battle-over-name/

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Spaced God posted:

They gotta restart the run back in Greece

how dare you think that! The IOC is prepared they have an army of other torches on the torch bus to replace this torch.

Hirethor posted:

You say that, but a video game studio just ended a 3yr legal battle to use the word "sky" in their game's name last month.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/17/no-mans-sky-developer-ends-legal-nonsense-battle-over-name/

these IP laws are downright criminal and need to be changed

Microwaves Mom fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 28, 2016

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009

Prettz posted:

at what point does it become one's duty to publicly troll the IOC?

Doody

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Serious Frolicking posted:

the ioc's next step will be claiming their ownership of the concept of language. if you try to communicate with anyone in any way, they will sue your rear end. every government in the world inexplicably goes along with it.

lolling at anyone who would want that parasitic corrupt organization on their doorstep

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

:parrot:
The New Zealand jiu-jitsu guy who was kidnapped and robbed by the police has fled the country with his journalist girlfriend after a second midnight visit from police militas.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/olympics/82600075/kidnapped-kiwi-jason-lee-and-partner-laura-mcquillan-safe-in-toronto

(Note: not an Olympic athlete. Not a tourist. A guy who moved there to study jiu-jitsu)

quote:

Lee and McQuillan had lived in Rio for almost a year, and were unhappy to have to leave so fast - especially just before the Olympics. "Before this incident I would have happily said the gym there in Rio was my second home. I'm leaving behind many friends," Lee said. "I'm completely gutted. The point of going was twofold - Jay doing jiujitsu, me covering the Olympics. I haven't covered the Olympics before, so I'll have to wait to tick that off my bucket list," McQuillan said. "But it's worth the knowledge that we are safe. It's only the Olympics, there will be another one in four years."

Many Brazilians reached out with messages of support, praising Lee for actually reporting the corruption. "My Facebook account has been overrun with media requests - but also I would like to stress hundreds of messages from Brazilians , which has been amazing," Lee said. "For Brazilians this is no surprise - they deal with corrupt cops all the time. They told us they would never report it out of fear. They don't have the protection of the NZ embassy, the support of another police agency - they don't make headlines," McQuillan said. "They also have been offering their apologies which they really needn't do - they are the ones who have to live with this every day." "I don't hold these actions of these two as in any way representative of Brazil as a country, of Brazil a culture, or Brazilians as a people," Lee said. "I really did love my time in that country."

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Moving to Rio from New Zealand seems quite the downgrade.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Hoplosternum posted:

The New Zealand jiu-jitsu guy who was kidnapped and robbed by the police has fled the country with his journalist girlfriend after a second midnight visit from police militas.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/olympics/82600075/kidnapped-kiwi-jason-lee-and-partner-laura-mcquillan-safe-in-toronto

(Note: not an Olympic athlete. Not a tourist. A guy who moved there to study jiu-jitsu)

wait so did the police buddies of the two prosecuted policemen turn up instead lol

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

lol that the police aren't even afraid of threatening (white) foreign nationals who can easily gin up big headlines. they're immune and they know it.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Hoplosternum posted:

the IOC is going to have him killed at this rate.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
About the contracts for building?

The International Olympic Committee warned organizers of the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro five years ago that construction contracts they drew up could give developers incentives to cut corners, presaging problems with athletes' housing that drew complaints from several countries this week, documents showed.

Developers say they have sold just 240 of the 3,600 Olympic Village apartments that go for between 750,000 and 3 million reais ($230,000 to $925,000), as Brazil's worst recession since the 1930s has dented demand.

Rio house prices are down 20 percent in real terms over the past year.

http://in.reuters.com/article/olympics-rio-village-idINKCN1082OD

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Question: Does the IOC own or have any control Twitter somehow? How can they decide who gets to tweet what about the olympics?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Feel good story of the week, Old lady lights her broom on fire using the olympic torch and celebrates!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuWisixQa-M

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

CharlestonJew posted:

Question: Does the IOC own or have any control Twitter somehow? How can they decide who gets to tweet what about the olympics?

it would be insane to go after jon q public over their tweets for this, but they can definitely go after unapproved sponsors, which is a relatively small number of people they can pretty easily keep tabs on and ruin the life of if they wish it.

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

:parrot:

CharlestonJew posted:

Goons are so good at overblowing situations and not reading the article properly. Everyday people can Tweet about the Olympics.

They don't want unofficial sponsors Tweeting and gaining free advertising from the Olympics. This still really sucks. e.g. In New Zealand, a lot of the athletes from smaller sports don't receive a lot of funding/support. They won't have had big sponsors like Powerade for most of their sporting careers. Their sponsor from before they made it big will be the local butcher from the small town they grew up in. So when "Smith's Quality Meating Supplies" tries to congratulate them on social media, they risk losing their medals? Wtf?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lime Tonics posted:

Feel good story of the week, Old lady lights her broom on fire using the olympic torch and celebrates!

:3

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kurtofan posted:

Moving to Rio from New Zealand seems quite the downgrade.

New Zealand is the second least corrupt nation in the world. Also, the water is clean and sparkly.

http://indy100.independent.co.uk/article/the-most-corrupt-countries-in-the-world-ranked-in-order--xJUZ5u9j_x

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Lime Tonics posted:

This was adorable.
Was it a protest thing, or just an old lady that wanted her own olympic torch run?

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
Is there a possibility we could see the Sonic the Hedgehog twitter costing athletes their medals with dank Olympic memes?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Lime Tonics posted:

IOC is going to sue the gently caress out of her.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Lime Tonics posted:

Dona Irene for president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rio 2016 Olympic torch run looking good.

• Locked thread