Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lmao, that's pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Roth posted:

I read Red Hood and the Outlaws just to give it a chance, and I really don't think I'll be continuing.

That scene with Jason firing indiscriminately into the crowd? Turns out he was just firing darts to cure people of some bullshit virus that Batman had him investigating, but it just looked like he was killing people for no reason. So Batman tries to stop him, and instead of stopping to explain what's going for five seconds, Jason wastes more time getting into a fight with Batman and electrocuting him, and later has the nerve to tell Batman he didn't explain because Batman doesn't "trust" him enough.

I'm sorry, but that's just straight up laughable to me. It's your fault for not even bothering to tell him before you went out to cure those people, and we're supposed to think Batman is in the wrong for assuming a guy firing a gun at the mayor and cops instead of giving Jason a chance because that somehow demonstrates how much he doesn't trust Jason.

This really does feel like more of the same crap I associate with Jason Todd in recent years. But, as I said before, I do think Lobdell can write small moments between characters. The scene with them eating fast food together was nice, but it's not enough for me to say this comic was good.

Did you missed the part where Jason explains everything was staged to allow him infiltrate the Gotham Underground?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

I am very conflicted.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Did you missed the part where Jason explains everything was staged to allow him infiltrate the Gotham Underground?

No, but that doesn't really account for why Jason doesn't just tell Bruce ahead of time in the first place, and then acts like Bruce is the indignant jerk for falling for his deception in the first place.

Hell, it would have made way more sense for Jason to go "Thanks for showing up Bruce, really helped me sell the performance" instead of going on about trust issues while he's trying to deceive people.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think using that scene to illustrate a different point is probably not for the best. I get what King is going for, but I think it's a poor decision.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Roth posted:

No, but that doesn't really account for why Jason doesn't just tell Bruce ahead of time in the first place, and then acts like Bruce is the indignant jerk for falling for his deception in the first place.

Hell, it would have made way more sense for Jason to go "Thanks for showing up Bruce, really helped me sell the performance" instead of going on about trust issues while he's trying to deceive people.

You're new around here so you might not know how utterly futile it is to even gently criticize Red Hood to Dark_Tzitzimine. He will always have an excuse for why that clumsy, inept characterization was actually nuanced and endearing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The poor decision was Greg Pak simultaneously making the All-Star jumping girl an in-universe character and bumping her off to make Superman feel bad.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/12/19/greg-pak-just-killed-off-regan-star-superman/

e: and that storyline being called Superman's Joker. I just remembered that one.

ee: I think giving a gallows tribute to your sacred cow moments after ten years is a healthy thing. The moment linked here is far more crass to me.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 28, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Roth posted:

Simple, he knew that Bruce wouldn't be happy about his plan to go undercover.

Is hard to pinpoint what is exactly the dynamic between Jason and Bruce at the moment but they seem to be in a middle point between the way it was during RHATO/RHA and UtRH. That is, they can be civil and talk things out but not fully trust each other.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Simple, he knew that Bruce wouldn't be happy about his plan to go undercover.

Is hard to pinpoint what is exactly the dynamic between Jason and Bruce at the moment but they seem to be in a middle point between the way it was during RHATO/RHA and UtRH. That is, they can be civil and talk things out but not fully trust each other.

He knew Bruce wouldn't like his plan to go undercover so to avoid having Daddy worry about him he decided instead to make it look like he was trying to murder people without telling Batman because that totally wouldn't also make Batman worry about what he's doing. This makes complete sense because I'm a mindless moron.

No seriously, even if he didn't like it what was Batman going to do blow his cover mid op and get Jason killed/harmed? No, because that would be stupid, so not telling him has the exact effect as telling him with the added caveat of making Bruce think Jason's just randomly killing more people than he usually does. Hell this actually WAY WORSE for Jason's plan because this means Bruce has, at least in his perspective, 100% justified reasons to try and hunt down Jason while he's undercover. Had he told him what's up he wouldn't be undercover with the added heat of having Batman looking for him. It's just stupid.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He knew Bruce wouldn't like his plan to go undercover so to avoid having Daddy worry about him he decided instead to make it look like he was trying to murder people without telling Batman because that totally wouldn't also make Batman worry about what he's doing. This makes complete sense because I'm a mindless moron.

No seriously, even if he didn't like it what was Batman going to do blow his cover mid op and get Jason killed/harmed? No, because that would be stupid, so not telling him has the exact effect as telling him with the added caveat of making Bruce think Jason's just randomly killing more people than he usually does. Hell this actually WAY WORSE for Jason's plan because this means Bruce has, at least in his perspective, 100% justified reasons to try and hunt down Jason while he's undercover. Had he told him what's up he wouldn't be undercover with the added heat of having Batman looking for him. It's just stupid.

Yes and no. Jason knew Bruce would investigate the "victims" of his attack, finding them alive. From Jason's perspective this should've been enough to allow him go ahead with his plan without Bruce's interference. As I said, their dynamic is a still a rocky one (and Lobdell himself admitted so on the interview I linked before) and Jason still has a lot of hang ups regarding Bruce to work out first.

Honestly I would liked more if they would've kept the dynamic from RHATO and avoid more trust based conflicts between Bruce and Jason but this is an acceptable middle point.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

See?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Teenage Fansub posted:

The poor decision was Greg Pak simultaneously making the All-Star jumping girl an in-universe character and bumping her off to make Superman feel bad.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/12/19/greg-pak-just-killed-off-regan-star-superman/

e: and that storyline being called Superman's Joker. I just remembered that one.

ee: I think giving a gallows tribute to your sacred cow moments after ten years is a healthy thing. The moment linked here is far more crass to me.

Yeah, you see this here? This never happened. Anyone who reminds me of this in the future will be ravaged. And not sexily.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
eh nevermind

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Considering Jason has murdered a lot of people. (Sometimes horribly) I really don't think Bruce should give him a chance at all. Considering he refused to work with the Huntress for the same reason (And she has killed way less people.)

It's why I hope that Black Mask actually kills Jason during their fight this time.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Stop loving talking about Jason goddamn Todd jesus christ. There are infinitely more and better things to talk about and inciting DT to respond to you because you like arguing just makes the thread more unreadable for the rest of us. Todd is a bad character, Lobdell is a bad writer, and DT is blind to the faults. Just stop talking about it, I beg you. It's loving Groundhog's day.

I mean Wonder Woman and Titans came out at the same time and 90% of the discussion is poking DT about something that, no matter how very stupid the book is, he will never admit or always defend it.

So, about Titans, is anyone else happy to see Abra Kadabra back? I know the name sounds super stupid and campy to anyone not familiar with Flash stuff but he was such a great no moral ambiguity kind of villain. The only downside is I suppose that definitely moves this book more into "Wally West and the Titans" ala Hal's book rather than a "Titans" book. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing to me, but it's certainly panning out to be different from the label.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 29, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I mean Wonder Woman and Titans came out at the same time and 90% of the discussion is poking DT about something that, no matter how very stupid the book is, he will never admit or always defend it.

So, about Titans, is anyone else happy to see Abra Kadabra back? I know the name sounds super stupid and campy to anyone not familiar with Flash stuff but he was such a great no moral ambiguity kind of villain.

I really enjoyed Titans despite Roy looking like an idiot.

Abra Kadabra being back should be interesting. I'm jumping in with this after largely ignoring the New 52, so I didn't even realize he was even gone, but I enjoyed him in the pre New-52 Flash stuff I read.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Who cares, you have like 4 different ways to scroll passed them.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

It'd be very easy if it was just DT's monthly Red Hood post. But when entire pages are mostly blocks of Red Hood chat then reading the parts of the thread that aren't garbage becomes a lot harder.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aphrodite posted:

Might as well just unbookmark the thread, then.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

It'd be very easy if it was just DT's monthly Red Hood post. But when entire pages are mostly blocks of Red Hood chat then reading the parts of the thread that aren't garbage becomes a lot harder.

Yeah because DT will post "Red Hood was great" and like five different people will say "Are you loving crazy, it sucks because (reasons)" and DT will respond to every single one of them with "Actually blah blah Lobdell blah blah delusional bullshit" and then that's the entire loving DC Comics thread.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 29, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Suicide Squad preview. http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/suicide-squad-rebirth-1-dc-comics-2016
New Logo's odd. Wonder if it's supposed to be blood or lipstick.

e:
Are... you okay Mr. President?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 29, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Suicide Squad preview. http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/suicide-squad-rebirth-1-dc-comics-2016

e:

i am happy fat waller is back, but those pages are not good.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

e:

The logo looks "80's" which now makes me wish it took place in the 80's. With synth score of course.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Yeah I don't think I'd be able to read an entire 20+ page book of that art. Not the worst art, but I'd need to hear goons going nuts for the book before I'd read an entire book of that artwork.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

In comparison to Tan, I think this uncoloured sample from Lee looks pretty neat.
https://twitter.com/JimLee/status/757109877655216128

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

i am happy fat waller is back, but those pages are not good.

Wait how is she fat again? Did Wally West run by and she suddenly remembered "Goddamn I used to have a horrible diet. I should get back to that."?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

Wait how is she fat again? Did Wally West run by and she suddenly remembered "Goddamn I used to have a horrible diet. I should get back to that."?

Stress eating induced by dealing with the Suicide Squad.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Phillip Tan has never been a favorite, but those pages look mostly fine? I like the mauve color palette if nothing else.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

TwoPair posted:

i don't know. is a good retcon though

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Roth posted:

I really enjoyed Titans despite Roy looking like an idiot.

Abra Kadabra being back should be interesting. I'm jumping in with this after largely ignoring the New 52, so I didn't even realize he was even gone, but I enjoyed him in the pre New-52 Flash stuff I read.

I mean, he was gone in the same way everyone was gone until they showed up again. In some cases far worse for having come back (like Lobdell's Lilith, good lord). Thank goodness for retcons

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't care why Waller is fat again for the same reason why I don't care why Beast Boy was changed back to being green for no reason.

It's better this way.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Notable re-introductions to canon this week also include Nightwing's horrible fashion sense. I'm genuinely happy the disco collar is officially part of DCU history again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Notable re-introductions to canon this week also include Nightwing's horrible fashion sense. I'm genuinely happy the disco collar is officially part of DCU history again.

Wait poo poo the Disco Collar is back? All is forgiven DC.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Teenage Fansub posted:

e:

I can't help but feel like "SQUAD" should be a little lower down. Also if I had to choose one of those two, I'd say lipstick since there's not really any dripping, just a kind of blur effect, but I'm also inclined to think "spray paint".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Wait poo poo the Disco Collar is back? All is forgiven DC.

Not quite. He mentions his historically awful costumes before the blue one.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Yes and no. Jason knew Bruce would investigate the "victims" of his attack, finding them alive. From Jason's perspective this should've been enough to allow him go ahead with his plan without Bruce's interference. As I said, their dynamic is a still a rocky one (and Lobdell himself admitted so on the interview I linked before) and Jason still has a lot of hang ups regarding Bruce to work out first.

Honestly I would liked more if they would've kept the dynamic from RHATO and avoid more trust based conflicts between Bruce and Jason but this is an acceptable middle point.

SO if you make wild assumptions that the self-admitted flawed protagonist makes AND also make the assumption that seeing them alive wouldn't make Batman want to investigate him anyway to figure out why the ruse needed to take place at all then it makes sense.

It's just bad writing then.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

graybook posted:

I can't help but feel like "SQUAD" should be a little lower down. Also if I had to choose one of those two, I'd say lipstick since there's not really any dripping, just a kind of blur effect, but I'm also inclined to think "spray paint".

I'd say quick market stroke, probably a tag on a wall.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

graybook posted:

MSPaint spray paint, yeah.

I'm just happy something's got a new logo.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Diana Prince: Wonder Woman rules. The 60s psychedelia, sexy espionage, sword and sorcery and romance comic mash up is really fun.

Hell yeah! I've been telling people this for a while now (1, 2), but I think many fans think of this as a weird, left turn blip in the character's history, when in fact they're some of the strongest Wonder Woman stories ever.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Teenage Fansub posted:

MSPaint spray paint, yeah.

I'm just happy something's got a new logo.

I'm shocked Batman still has that rear end ugly logo. Who thought that was a good idea worth keeping around for five years? I'm irrationally angry about comic book logos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Die Laughing posted:

I'm shocked Batman still has that rear end ugly logo. Who thought that was a good idea worth keeping around for five years? I'm irrationally angry about comic book logos.

When the logo was first announced Pre- or mid-Flashpoint or whenever, I made the decision to only ever type it as "bATMaN" and I've stuck to my guns for... uh, literally years now, I think I can say.