Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Dahbadu posted:

or an older person that signed up for a PTC for the same reason (overblown or not) that my wife did.

The gmail thing is overblown but a lot of us signed up from rumors that we'd get extra crap from nintendo like they do with other pokemon games.

redux posted:

Correct, but pokemon only appear on the map when someone scans there, so a user has to actually have scanned a certain area in order for the spawns to appear on anyone's map.

To clarify, it's not a user out and about. It's just a PTC account they're using for the site. I play in a rural area where there's no players around but I can check pokemonvision to see if there's something out in the middle of nowhere.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Frown Town posted:

Welcome to Something Awful!

I don't know if people in the real world sperg so hard over their 'mons, but I suspect the answer is no.

I don't mind the min max sperging too much, because at least it has the potential to make a difference if Niantic ever introduce pvp battles. And for the people who do it, that's their thing.

Among real world people, I've friends who live and work in the pokestop desert that is my home town. A lot of them aren't gamers and have fallen into the microtransaction snare because of this game. Buying batches of pokeballs, lures and other poo poo which is crazy because the spawn rate around here is so low and the types of pokemon that appear are really limited.

They could take that money and spend it on an off-peak return rail ticket to Befast. A 5-minute walk from the train station to the city centre will net them more pokeballs than they know what to do with, and since all the stops seem to be perma-lured by nearby businesses they'll catch more mons in a couple of hours than they would in a week back in the sticks.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

chemosh6969 posted:

The gmail thing is overblown but a lot of us signed up from rumors that we'd get extra crap from nintendo like they do with other pokemon games.

I already had a PTC from earlier Pokemon poo poo. I don't understand what all this "lol PTC" sentiment comes from. It was a login option I picked because it seemed like it may have been relevant on Day Two. :shrug:

I new sure I regret it now, but hindsight n poo poo. It's still doesn't make a difference aside from login availability.

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

Does anybody know what determines the 6 default Pokemon that the game chooses for you when you attack a gym?

I know you can swap them out but it's getting to be a pain. It keeps swapping back in really bad Pokemon despite them not being my highest CP or most often/most recently used.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My five 10km eggs have been:

1 - Chansey
2 - Eevee
3 - Eevee :smith:
4 - Omanyte
5 - Magmar

That's a really really good outcome. Eevee out of eggs make great Vaporeons and Chansey is a great way to troll gyms.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
I'm so glad I learned how to throw a curve ball. Its all I do now, I force myself to throw nothing but curveballs, even at loving weedles.

Today checked Pokevision, Dragonite. About 9 blocks away, not much time left but if I hurry I just might make it. So, I jog my out of shape gooney rear end over there, just made it, threw a straight ball and it curves off because I guess strong monsters can say "gently caress your straight ball". poo poo, OK fine, I can throw a curve. 2 balls later and I got it.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Northjayhawk posted:

I'm so glad I learned how to throw a curve ball. Its all I do now, I force myself to throw nothing but curveballs, even at loving weedles.

Today checked Pokevision, Dragonite. About 9 blocks away, not much time left but if I hurry I just might make it. So, I jog my out of shape gooney rear end over there, just made it, threw a straight ball and it curves off because I guess strong monsters can say "gently caress your straight ball". poo poo, OK fine, I can throw a curve. 2 balls later and I got it.

grats on the 22 cp dragonite

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

Nephzinho posted:

That's a really really good outcome. Eevee out of eggs make great Vaporeons and Chansey is a great way to troll gyms.

My puny CP 81 Chansey has 148 hp, three more than my CP 1331 Vaporeon. I'm pretty amused by this.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Northjayhawk posted:

Look at this nervous bitch, hands trembling so hard that he made his balls curve a-ha-ha-ha

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Frown Town posted:

My puny CP 81 Chansey has 148 hp, three more than my CP 1331 Vaporeon. I'm pretty amused by this.

It'll be the first thing your opponents have to throw themselves against, and theywill barely get any reward for it because the xp/prestige calculations are based on CP. Chansey on a gym is just a dick move.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Colonel Squish posted:

Does anybody know what determines the 6 default Pokemon that the game chooses for you when you attack a gym?

I know you can swap them out but it's getting to be a pain. It keeps swapping back in really bad Pokemon despite them not being my highest CP or most often/most recently used.

I'm also interested in this question.

And I've decided I don't care about playing correctly. I'm level 13 and I'm powering up a mon or two to keep them at max level because gently caress it. If they add more stuff, I might put in effort.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Frown Town posted:

Chansey has a natural low CP. Mine's pretty much maxed at like 400cp.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Willsun posted:

1. Every player is allowed only one Pokemon to a gym. If you want to put one in an existing friendly gym but there's no open slot, you have to build up the gym's HP (called "prestige") until the next level by fighting the friendly gym with only one Pokemon at a time. Each friendly you defeat increases prestige around 100 points. When you can finally put one of your own in, you can either put in your strongest in hopes of making it harder for enemy teams to defeat your gym (and harder for friendlies to help level up the gym), or you can put in a lower CP Pokemon in hopes that it makes it easier for other friendlies to level up the gym, because they'll have to go through the same process.

2. You'll see blue bar(s) under your Pokemon's HP and that gets built up the more you attack and get attacked. Once a bar is fully built, tap and hold the screen until the bar's animation plays to show you're holding to execute the attack. Sometimes this gets interrupted by an enemy attack and it might look like you executed your attack but it didn't. Just tap and hold again.

3. No one can interrupt you while you're fighting a gym. Any Pokemon you see off in the distance also attacking are just attacking the Pokemon in the center of the ring. They can be friendlies or another rival team.

I wish this post was in the game. Now I get gyms

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Does leveling past 20 do anything other than give you care packages full of items? I've got some lucky eggs that would probably get me to 20 but I want to hoard more trash guys to level up if there's any good reason not to just get to 20 right now.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Xaerael posted:

Chansey has a natural low CP. Mine's pretty much maxed at like 400cp.

Got one hatched a while back with pretty high CP (377) and just stuck it on a gym. It has 305 hp. :getin:

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 29, 2016

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
So is that a time at the top of the screen in gym battles? What happens if it expires?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You lose.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jul/29/pokemon-go-player-crashes-car-into-school-while-playing-game

:australia:

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

Nephzinho posted:

It'll be the first thing your opponents have to throw themselves against, and theywill barely get any reward for it because the xp/prestige calculations are based on CP. Chansey on a gym is just a dick move.

I don't think this is quite how XP works on defeating a trainer. Maybe for training your team's gym? Think the minimum you'll get for defeating a trainer is a 150xp and I'm not sure if that's a flat rate or not... Bumped into a random Instinct guy (I'm Valor) in my neighborhood when I was about to take the gym. We experimented taking turns battling each others' low CP pokemons and that's how I discovered my Chansey's ridiculous HPs, and that we could get 150xp/kill regardless of the CP of the Pokemon in the gym and the 'mon battling it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Is chansey actually worth throwing into a gym? Is he beaten easily with the hp?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Zotix posted:

Trolls lower level players who think they have a chance of beating something of similar/slightly lower CP. Wastes high level players time beating through the monstrous health pool.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Zotix posted:

If the idea of potentially making a grown man irrationally angry at a giant pink marshmallow in a children's game appeals to you, absolutely.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

People can barely negotiate roundabouts on good days, what was he thinking

Also chiming in that the new Google maps update sucks. I wish they had it as an option rather than just unilaterally destroying all that detail, that kind of stuff is nice when you are walking around a city.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Today I spotted a gym in the center of Amsterdam that had been leveled up by the red team, all trainers between levels 30 and 34, and all Pokemon over 2000CP. They had each of the starters in there, and a Dragonite near 3000CP to top it off. Apparently there are some organized red players out there after all! It stayed up for the whole afternoon too. I feel like I'm way behind... is there a Mystic elite squad I can call to go take that down?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Kirios posted:

People playing this shallow mobile game like it's a proper Pokemon game (finding perfect IVs for example) is hilarious. It's sooooooooooo not needed at all don't min max a loving mobile game.

Yeah, in a game where the point is to literally capture scores of the same pokemon we'd be crazy to spend the minimal effort to determine which is the best one.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Licarn posted:

If the idea of potentially making a grown man irrationally angry at a giant pink marshmallow in a children's game appeals to you, absolutely.
I dunno about you but that sounds insanely right up my alley.

Then again, I do want Slowpoke just to have.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Another Zubat hatched.

Is there a button to make the game not do that?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its a real shame that nicknames don't show up in other people's games.

I don't even get why. I mean not wanting kids to see rude stuff makes sense but they already can since trainer names aren't censored. There's a player going on a rampage through all the gyms in town and his name is BLACKDICKNICK.

VVV So then what did you name tangela?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 29, 2016

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I name pretty much every pokemon after the scientific name of the animal I assume they were based on

I am nerd supreme

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Internet Kraken posted:

Spaghetti

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Xaerael posted:

Has anyone tried to use a lure while riding in a car? does it work, or does it spawn nothing? I have a road trip tomorrow, and I find being a passenger the most boring thing ever.

Your lure will spawn pokes, but you won't get them unless you're going ~45 mph or less. The 10-12 mph thing is all about hatching eggs and seeing regular spawns, but I can confirm you still see poo poo even at 70 mph when your GPS glitches for a half second.

The problem is that, when you travel a certain distance from a poke, it'll run during your first capture attempt. When we were going 70 mph, I couldn't even get one quick throw in without poo poo running.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Broseph Brostar posted:

Now that the newest version of the desktop map app lets you change locations without logging out, I have been using remote desktop to start the app and drag the ngrok url to chrome, then I can swap over to the tab on my phone's Google chrome and use it easily.

It sounds like a real roundabout way to do it but that thing works really well now

Link? I need it for a friend...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Playing Pokemon Go as a passenger on the highway is pretty futile. If you get caught in traffic though, that's a good time to start up the game. You'll have enough time to catch pokemon that spawn nearby and if its really bad, you'll get credit for egg steps as well. There's barely ever pokestops along the highway for obvious reasons though.

I'd recommend playing something else on road trips. Like, uh, real Pokemon! :downs:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 29, 2016

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Anyone else's pokedex completely hosed up?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Well, I got my Arcanine.

As I expected, it has disgustingly inflated CP for its level compared to my other Pokemon. About 1050 when my much higher-leveled monsters are topping out around 850. I suspected this was why I see Arcanines topping every freaking gym in the area, and I was right.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Internet Kraken posted:

AFrayedKnot

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Manslaughter posted:

Anyone else's pokedex completely hosed up?

Yeah, for a few days.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Just caught a wild omastar in the middle of the desert. Checks out.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

BrianBoitano posted:

Link? I need it for a friend...

This one https://github.com/mchristopher/PokemonGo-DesktopMap/releases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The map is back to full detail for me. Paths and parking lots and such are a grid again instead of the big empty blob they were for a few days.

• Locked thread