Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Threatening to shoot the sitting president of the united states especially for vague unexplained reasons seems like a really bad idea.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
These veterans are all turnt up about Obama!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Funny they should mention Watergate as I'm sure that whole thing started when one presidential candidate wanted someone else to spy and gather information on their opponent.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Plom Bar posted:

In my day it was long sleeved shirts that said "You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same". The irony of these shirts being mass produced was evidently lost on their consumer base.

I want a shirt that says "normal people in 'normal people scare me' shirts scare me".

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I watched a bunch of videos of a crazy Finnish man crushing things in a hydraulic press

That guy is the best. You wouldn't think you could get over a million subscribers from crushing poo poo, but there you go. There's a competing channel too.

Goddammit, I said something flippantly to my husband the other day that I bet some crazy people come back and complain that Are Cops didn't get honored at the convention. It's even more ridiculous because part of the speech specifically mentioned how much respect they have for most cops.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

bean_shadow posted:

Enough for now but believe me when I say these type of posts go for pages on her main FB page. Oh, and one more piece of irony: she's a nurse. But from what I've seen, nurses believe in the biggest homeopathy mumbo jumbo.

From last page, but holy poo poo is this ever true.

There's a nurse that I know from pulling shifts at one of our local emergency rooms who brought her 3 year old to a loving chiropractor for his eczema.

When she finished telling me this horror story, I asked when the state is going to be removing him for child endangerment.

Nurses are loving incredible sometimes.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
So many times my mother, who is a retired nurse, tries to think she knows just as much as doctors do. I know it's kinda mean sounding but really she was the one who pulled the "Depression is just you being a big saddy, just don't be sad" when I got first diagnosed.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
My mom has been a nurse for 30+ years and does the same thing. I think they just see the same patients and treatments getting done for so long and then latch onto anything that could possibly be new and helpful. No matter how dumb it is.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

My kokum was a nurse, but while she has her eccentricities, she is pretty good about medical stuff. :3:

Once she told me about how when she went to a doctor (who she called a "turban person," not out of malice or anything, just that is the term she has always used.) She rolled off everything he needed to know, and he asked if she used to be a doctor. She then gushed over the phone to me about how handsome this turban person was. :3:

I just like talking about her.

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 07:41 on Jul 29, 2016

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
What is a kokum?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Ok Fella posted:

Mom thinks i should respect women. should i?
i tried explaining awalt with out using the specific term and how women cheat and lie all the time and she said well not all do there is good women out there. and im tempted to tell her nawalt unicorns don't exist

You should really only respect people who EARN that respect.*
That doesn't mean DISrespecting people who have not yet had the opportunity to do so -- rather that you give people some "benefit of the doubt," a qualified, wary, probationary or provisional "trust but verify" -- that is you treat them civilly and allow them to demonstrate/prove/earn "respect" (or more commonly, it's opposite).
There are however a couple of QUICK indicators that will help you identify people who do not, and will not earn "respect" -- and that is anyone who DEMANDS to be "respected" prior to providing any proof, or who (absent any actions or history, i.e. any demonstration that they are "deserving" of respect) proceeds to noisily spout several and various "assurances" that they will "earn" it (if you just give them "a chance" -- or having made mistakes demand "another chance").
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* And then even still you must be CAUTIOUS of overextending that "respect" (or indeed even "disrespect") into areas of life & character that it has not (yet) been demonstrated or proven or "earned."
To wit: someone may have proven themselves to be quite competent, dependable, reliable, fair & honest in performing work as say a "plumber" or "electrician" or "car mechanic" -- but, alas, that does not necessarily mean the persons' judgment or character will prove to be the same in other things, say investment advice, or their behavior when "out on the town."
This principle -- of not over-extending -- applies to everyone, including your friends, as well as parents (and teachers, future bosses & co-workers, etc).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But the idea that a particular category of humans should -- by default, and by virtue of their having some "physical bodily feature" (in this case the possession of a "vagina") -- be given some EXTRA level of "respect"...
...is fundamentally ABSURD.
Note that what your mother is REALLY saying -- implying -- is that people WITH vaginas (women) should be "respected" -- and that means she is ALSO (whether she consciously realizes it or not), saying -- implying -- that people WITHOUT vaginas (i.e. men) should NOT be "respected."
In fact she is -- by default -- DISRESPECTING the entire male gender (including you); she is attempting to "brainwash" you into being a drone/slave of women.
IMO that kind of behavior, or mindset, or attitude is -- in and of itself -- demonstrably NOT worthy of respect.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

poptart_fairy posted:

He breaks character whenever he can't get his own way, and it's funny as hell.

i have only seen him break character outside this thread. which would be weird to be in character outside this thread.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

its amazing/hosed up that posting content constitutes a "character"

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Alaois posted:

its amazing/hosed up that posting content constitutes a "character"
How is it not? He never adds context or discussion outside of his unsourced quotes and occasionally creates confusion when someone comes in and responds to him seriously (which most goons seem to love). Like the gimmick or not it's clearly a gimmick.

I find it weird because I was vaguely aware of him from other threads where he doesn't gimmick post so seeing him suddenly post crazy poo poo in a couple of threads was a bit surreal at first. Though I don't think I ever thought he was seriousposting.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Darkhold posted:

How is it not? He never adds context or discussion outside of his unsourced quotes and occasionally creates confusion when someone comes in and responds to him seriously (which most goons seem to love). Like the gimmick or not it's clearly a gimmick.

I find it weird because I was vaguely aware of him from other threads where he doesn't gimmick post so seeing him suddenly post crazy poo poo in a couple of threads was a bit surreal at first. Though I don't think I ever thought he was seriousposting.

Some people get so broken by threads on this site they never really heal. LoB is one of many casualties of the golden days of the TVTropes thread.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Darkhold posted:

does the lack of quote brackets drive people insane somehow, how else do you explain posts like these

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

hyperhazard posted:

Goddammit, I said something flippantly to my husband the other day that I bet some crazy people come back and complain that Are Cops didn't get honored at the convention. It's even more ridiculous because part of the speech specifically mentioned how much respect they have for most cops.

They could literally be fellating Brave Cops on stage, and these fuckers would complain that the Democrats didn't massage the balls enough.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

reddit.com/r/MandelaEffect posted:

[–]EpicJourneyMan 26 points 19 days ago

I have spent many hours of deliberation and focused concentration trying to find the common thread that ties all of these observations and experiences together.

I ask questions like:
•Who benefits?
•Why?
•Who or what has the resources to pull something like this off?
•If it's not Supernatural, who has the technology?
•What is the "End Game"?

The answer to all of these is "The glorification and worship of Google".

Think about it; if we have a question, where do we go now to find the answer? -Google.

Who has the means to effect change at the quantum level? - Google with the "D-wave computer".

When things change and you try to find a picture or video clip, who owns the servers? - Google.

What is the definition of "worship"? - see link
wor·ship
/ˈwərSHəp/
noun
noun: worship 1.
the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity. "the worship of God"
synonyms: reverence, veneration, adoration, glorification, glory, exaltation; More devotion, praise, thanksgiving, homage, honor;
archaicmagnification
"the worship of idols"
•the acts or rites that make up a formal expression of reverence for a deity; a religious ceremony or ceremonies. "the church was opened for public worship"
synonyms: service, religious rite, prayer, praise, devotion, religious observance "morning worship"
•adoration or devotion comparable to religious homage, shown toward a person or principle. "our society’s worship of teenagers"
synonyms: admiration, adulation, idolization, lionization, hero worship "he contemplated her with worship"
•archaic honor given to someone in recognition of their merit.
•British used in addressing or referring to an important or high-ranking person, especially a magistrate or mayor. noun: His Worship; noun: Your Worship; plural noun: Worships
"we were soon joined by His Worship the Mayor"
verb
verb: worship; 3rd person present: worships; past tense: worshipped; past participle: worshipped; gerund or present participle: worshipping; past tense: worshiped; past participle: worshiped; gerund or present participle: worshiping 1.
show reverence and adoration for (a deity); honor with religious rites. "the Maya built jungle pyramids to worship their gods"
synonyms: revere, reverence, venerate, pay homage to, honor, adore, praise, pray to, glorify, exalt, extol; More hold dear, cherish, treasure, esteem, adulate, idolize, deify, hero-worship, lionize, overpraise;
follow, look up to;
informalput on a pedestal;
formallaud;
archaicmagnify
"they worship pagan gods"
•treat (someone or something) with the reverence and adoration appropriate to a deity. "she adores her sons and they worship her"
•take part in a religious ceremony.

In the absense of God or prayer to find an answer, where do you turn? - Google.

If you doubt just how much power Google has to affect reality, consider this:

When you use "Google Earth" and view the world from space, that is your initial image of the world.

As you zoom down in to any of the cities that have been "street view" mapped - you have the ability to walk down the street and read every street sign, see the addresses, and basically go on a virtual walk around the city.

Here is the point- have you noticed that you can not read a single license plate or make out the details of a single face?

The scrubbing of that kind of private data is not being done by a team of thousands working diligently, 24/7, to preserve the privacy of individuals - it is being done by their super computers!

And you know what?, that information is only being hidden from public view - it still exists in the database.

Who benefits?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Ok Fella posted:

What is a kokum?

Older Cree woman. Generally means Grandmother.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

snergle posted:

i have only seen him break character outside this thread. which would be weird to be in character outside this thread.

I find those posts really disappointing, because I'm always anticipating the racist insanity that never comes.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
So are taco's the new big meme food now (along side / taking over for Siracha I think)?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Currently Imgur users are doing a thing where they literally upvote everything posted in Usersub (where new posts go) and I got to say they somehow REDUCED the number of racist, sexist and islamophobic posts on the front page!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Ularg posted:

Currently Imgur users are doing a thing where they literally upvote everything posted in Usersub (where new posts go) and I got to say they somehow REDUCED the number of racist, sexist and islamophobic posts on the front page!

That's because anything posted on Reddit, at least in certain subs, automatically goes to the front page, and user sub is just for things directly submitted to imgur. I think.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
This isn't even half the comments because this just keeps going but these people are loving baked man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wznf3k57fA

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
"The Sun and the Moon are the same size!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS12p0Zqlt0

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Mikl posted:

"The Sun and the Moon are the same size!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS12p0Zqlt0

holy poo poo lolling at "this girl is the same as the tower", also I forgot about this Father Ted instructional video.

But seriously THEY obviously DON'T WANT US TO KNOW what is at the edge of this planar world we live on.

It's snakes. Snakes on (the edge of) a plane.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
"Why do I believe it's stationary and flat? Because I can't feel anything moving and can't see any curve! In related news, the oceans don't exist unless I am at the beach, and my friends and family disappear whenever I'm not in the room with them!"

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Buttcoin purse posted:

It's snakes. Snakes on (the edge of) a plane.

Uuuuuuuuuuugh

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Buttcoin purse posted:

Snakes on (the edge of) a plane.

Go to jail.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Vladimir Poutine posted:

This isn't even half the comments because this just keeps going but these people are loving baked man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wznf3k57fA

How do people seriously think the masons are a secret anymore? At least go for broke and claim it's the illuminati.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Intoluene posted:

How do people seriously think the masons are a secret anymore? At least go for broke and claim it's the illuminati.

The charity pancake breakfasts my uncle's lodge did were definitely a sinister brainwashing or recruitment plot. They're probably working with the syrup sector.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
If the earth was flat we wouldn't have so many hosed up map projections/models.

Also, and I hate that I'm engaging with the idea, but where do they think the edges are? And how do they think planes work when they fly east to get west etc. I'm sure that the FAA et al is in on the conspiracy so I guess I just need an answer to the first question.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

fullroundaction posted:

Also, and I hate that I'm engaging with the idea, but where do they think the edges are?

Behind mountains, way out in oceans, behind gubmint fences--places you can't visit for one reason or another. And the conspiracy is so huge that they can intercept you if you try sneaking over a mountain or under a fence. And it's dangerous to go near the edges because you might fall off. And they're really far away so you can't get there anyway.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

fullroundaction posted:

If the earth was flat we wouldn't have so many hosed up map projections/models.

Also, and I hate that I'm engaging with the idea, but where do they think the edges are? And how do they think planes work when they fly east to get west etc. I'm sure that the FAA et al is in on the conspiracy so I guess I just need an answer to the first question.

How far the ice extends; how it terminates; and what exists beyond it, are questions to which no present human experience can reply. All we at present know is, that snow and hail, howling winds, and indescribable storms and hurricanes prevail; and that in every direction ‘human ingress is barred by unsealed escarpments of perpetual ice,’ extending farther than eye or telescope can penetrate, and becoming lost in gloom and darkness.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Do flat Earth believers universally believe that we've also never sent a satellite to space and photographed the Earth? Or is it like a 50/50 split between that and believe that all space stuff at all is in on the conspiracy.

I don't even understand how our evil overlords are meant to benefit from belief in a round Earth.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Parasol Prophet posted:

"Why do I believe it's stationary and flat? Because I can't feel anything moving and can't see any curve! In related news, the oceans don't exist unless I am at the beach, and my friends and family disappear whenever I'm not in the room with them!"

Maybe they skipped that phase of development.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Question Mark Mound posted:

I don't even understand how our evil overlords are meant to benefit from belief in a round Earth.

This is what always gets me. It's always such backwards thinking, like the numerology stuff earlier, or the 9/11 stuff. People see "clues", and they extrapolate from that that there's something going on. What is going on, that's as far as it ever gets. Why, now, that's way beyond the limit.

It's never the other way around, like: RESOLVED, I am an Illuminati/Freemason/Rothschild/Antichrist, and I want the following things to happen. What's the easiest way for me to make them happen? Do things like planting numbers in Biblical translations or setting up elaborate hoaxes about moon landings or terrorist attacks help me in any way? No? Well then why the gently caress would I do them? Let me just do this much easier thing instead.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
We have humans. in space. orbiting. the. loving. planet. How do they think this poo poo is made up?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Ularg posted:

We have humans. in space. orbiting. the. loving. planet. How do they think this poo poo is made up?!

You don't need to double-tap the space bar between words; just one tap will do.