Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There are things that can kill you which are actually palatable like cyanide, lead and antifreeze. Otoh, there are things that are repulsive but actually are fine to eat like durian, bitter melon and certain cheeses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Clarste posted:

Tasting bad is an actual survival strategy used by actual animals who are not yet extinct, so it seems to work.

Then we have the Billion bird from Toriko which was going extinct because no one found it good.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

Then we have the Billion bird from Toriko which was going extinct because no one found it good.

God that was such a good arc.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Xelkelvos posted:

There are things that can kill you which are actually palatable like cyanide, lead and antifreeze. Otoh, there are things that are repulsive but actually are fine to eat like durian, bitter melon and certain cheeses.

Yeah, stuff like that is why I qualified my statement.

Also those are all tasty things :colbert: Well. Bitter melon takes a good long time to acquire a taste for I guess, but the others it's mostly the smell that's bad.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Comic posted:

Yeah, stuff like that is why I qualified my statement.

Also those are all tasty things :colbert: Well. Bitter melon takes a good long time to acquire a taste for I guess, but the others it's mostly the smell that's bad.

I did neglect the even more offensive and esoteric goods since those are made to be that way rather than exist naturally as horribly tasting/smelling things like Lutefisk, huitalacoche, and the multitude of fermented dishes from Scandinavia and other regions near the Arctic circle.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Bitter melon is a literal food from hell that does not deserve to exist.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Because they ate so much of it they became bored, it actually tastes fairly delicious.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

BlitzBlast posted:

It's fine.

Durian actually tries to kill you at night by falling off it's stupidly high branches onto some poor bastard's head.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Bitter melon is a healthy food, so naturally it can't taste good.

It's good. Just like stinky tofu. Also an acquired taste.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there's going to be a new side story in s Shonen Jump GIGA magazine... whenever that gets released. i didn't see any details

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

It's going to be about Megumi's cool food battles we missed out on

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Rewatched more season 1. Can I just say how much I appreciate the Tsukuda and/or scriptwriters' grasp of English and/or wasei-eigo? I was particularly pleased to remember that the reaction to Nikumi's curry works both ways as a result.

(Never mind that the entire episode is incredibly filthy on a second rewatch!)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 22, 2016

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
http://mangastream.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/176/3551/1

I'm actually hoping for this arc to be over soon cause the only thing keeping me going are the professor Erina/Alice/Hisako gags

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I don't even know where they'll go from here. Lock them up on the train or something?

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

paragon1 posted:

I don't even know where they'll go from here. Lock them up on the train or something?

Let's go full cutthroat kitchen.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

i hope they make imaginary noodles that make that guys clothes fly off just from implied flavor

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
What's great is even if the rebels failed, they've still got a future, having had made connections with high end chefs if not having a place to return to.

Central's going to fail hard regardless, because it's a dumb, dumb plan.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Logicblade posted:

Never before this moment did I not know how badly I wanted Alton Brown or an Captain Ersatz Alton Brown as a side character.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 22, 2016

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Logicblade posted:

Which episode of Cutthroat Kitchen is that?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm starting to watch the Soma anime starting with season 2, and episode 2 has a top tier JoJo parody that I liked. Alice continues to be the best girl too.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

They will simply make noodles from the OTHER ingredients.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
reading the chapter i was hoping they'd have to find a convenience store and make gourmet noodle dishes with instant noodles

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

AtomikKrab posted:

They will simply make noodles from the OTHER ingredients.

You made one mistake: you left me alive and with food of any kind.

This is gonna be their equivalent of Tony Stark making an arc reactor in a cave with a box of scraps.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

NowonSA posted:

You made one mistake: you left me alive and with food of any kind.

This is gonna be their equivalent of Tony Stark making an arc reactor in a cave with a box of scraps.

They either have noodles they bought with them or managed to use the remaining flour along with other stuff like rice or something to make noodles

Edit: new episode has Judge Yoda dropping beats about Mimisaka

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 24, 2016

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Going with the Yujiro strategy, I suppose.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
This weeks episode inspired me to make a meyer lemon semifreddo. Only I didn't use a pastry crust and made a second layer with pureed blueberries mixed in instead of lemon. Also made the praline out of ginger syrup mixed with toasted almonds. Freezing now.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

This weeks episode inspired me to make a meyer lemon semifreddo. Only I didn't use a pastry crust and made a second layer with pureed blueberries mixed in instead of lemon. Also made the praline out of ginger syrup mixed with toasted almonds. Freezing now.

poo poo man, take pics my dude

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Futaba Anzu posted:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Futaba Anzu posted:

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
Does an anime discussion thread for SnS exist? I'd like to post and read thread reactions but just a cursory glance here is telling me it's all manga discussion that's five seasons' worth of story ahead or something.

I really enjoyed the first seasons of the anime but for some reason this second season feels...rushed? I mean jumping into the thick of it is cool and all, but the finale of the previous season happened a year ago. And the second round of the Elections is very much "1 episode, 1 food fight, chop chop we've got other places to be". Was the manga like that at this stage of the story?

For the record: gently caress Mimisaka King of Stalkers so hard. For a character who's only been shown for all of 3 episodes this dude infuriates me like no other antagonist in the show so far. I just finished reading The Psychopath Test recently and Mimisaka's the embodiment of "on the Top 10 list for jobs favored by psychopaths, chef is ranked at ninth place". :bang:

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
For future reference when serving an icecream block put it on a concave plate instead of a perfectly smooth cake platter or else it slides off and lands in the grass and gets eaten by the dogs. Thankfully the top lemon layer popped off from the blueberry part and is still edible, albeit short and stumpy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

CryingAthena posted:

Does an anime discussion thread for SnS exist? I'd like to post and read thread reactions but just a cursory glance here is telling me it's all manga discussion that's five seasons' worth of story ahead or something.

I really enjoyed the first seasons of the anime but for some reason this second season feels...rushed? I mean jumping into the thick of it is cool and all, but the finale of the previous season happened a year ago. And the second round of the Elections is very much "1 episode, 1 food fight, chop chop we've got other places to be". Was the manga like that at this stage of the story?

For the record: gently caress Mimisaka King of Stalkers so hard. For a character who's only been shown for all of 3 episodes this dude infuriates me like no other antagonist in the show so far. I just finished reading The Psychopath Test recently and Mimisaka's the embodiment of "on the Top 10 list for jobs favored by psychopaths, chef is ranked at ninth place". :bang:

fwiw while i do not wathc the show most manga readers feel that arc is really, really drawn out so rushing it probably is good

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Davincie posted:

fwiw while i do not wathc the show most manga readers feel that arc is really, really drawn out so rushing it probably is good

I agree the arc is too long in general, but the anime still feels rushed.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

For future reference when serving an icecream block put it on a concave plate instead of a perfectly smooth cake platter or else it slides off and lands in the grass and gets eaten by the dogs. Thankfully the top lemon layer popped off from the blueberry part and is still edible, albeit short and stumpy.

poo poo dude I'm actually sad for you, the top still looks real good though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The secret to victory? Potatoes

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I enjoyed a lot of that chapter but I'm kind of hoping we either skip through the other phases quickly or they find some way to ratchet up the tension soon, if they're all just as easy as this it's gonna get a bit repetitive.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I hope Senzaemon is using this as an opportunity to identify the worst of the teachers for a post restoration purge.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The next chapter should be a montage of 10 idiot traps set by Central and the immediate resolution of them.

No oven: light a fire

No salt: use sweat

No protein: human meat

And so on.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

oh jay posted:

The next chapter should be a montage of 10 idiot traps set by Central and the immediate resolution of them.

No oven: light a fire

No salt: use sweat

No protein: human meat

And so on.

Cook the Proctors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

MrAristocrates posted:

I enjoyed a lot of that chapter but I'm kind of hoping we either skip through the other phases quickly or they find some way to ratchet up the tension soon, if they're all just as easy as this it's gonna get a bit repetitive.

Yeah, basically. This chapter was sort of a repeat of the last challenge except I thought it was executed better. But if this is the formula every stop will have it's going to get old quick. I wouldn't be surprised if the next few tasks are skipped and we just montage through a bit until something actually interesting happens though.

Xelkelvos posted:

The secret to victory? Potatoes

Tbf. In my experience this is very accurate to cooking.