Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

GruntyThrst posted:

Wing Divers can do it as well by just standing on a tree. In other news, I am convinced the Monster-S sniper for Wing Divers doesn't exist.

Hmm, this turns out to be true, but there are a few headaches to be had. The trees can be destroyed by your own weapons or even EDF troopers. So, you shouldn't use anything that explodes, reflects or lightnings. This means mostly lances, rapiers, mid range lasers, sniper lasers and particle cannons. Rapiers are usually the best choice, just don't aim straight down. And as always, let the EDF troops die first so you can centralize all your loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Someone explain the net gun that shoots hot jizzy loads all over some bugs.
Maybe there was too much of a power disparity but I shot my load three times all over some ants and they didn't even slow down.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Inzombiac posted:

Someone explain the net gun that shoots hot jizzy loads all over some bugs.
Maybe there was too much of a power disparity but I shot my load three times all over some ants and they didn't even slow down.

I think you're talking about the web gun. And yep! It's not that useful as far as I can tell. You can stick it to things and then, like the spiders' webs, stuff will get stuck in/to it and take damage. It doesn't seem to do very good damage, though.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Lynza posted:

I think you're talking about the web gun. And yep! It's not that useful as far as I can tell. You can stick it to things and then, like the spiders' webs, stuff will get stuck in/to it and take damage. It doesn't seem to do very good damage, though.

The damage isn't spectacular and the range is pretty rough until the later models, but they do seem to proc damage over and over to anything they're attached to. A lot of flying enemies, especially dragons will down instantly or spin out if they take any damage, giving them less opportunity to actually attack and making them easier targets. The webs can attach to multiple targets, so you should shoot them out for max distance, and then drag the webs over more enemies. Still, not super impressive but they really gently caress up dragons and the webs stay active for a long time.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'd love a turret version that held fools in place for a time so Whale could deliver some much-needed JUSTICE.

Tried out the giant much for the first time while playing Crimson on Hard. I posed, stomped around punched the air, unsuccessfully used my secondary weapon (nothing happened) and then exploded.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

I'd love a turret version that held fools in place for a time so Whale could deliver some much-needed JUSTICE.

Tried out the giant much for the first time while playing Crimson on Hard. I posed, stomped around punched the air, unsuccessfully used my secondary weapon (nothing happened) and then exploded.

It's actually pretty decent against ants if you punch at the ground near your feet. The big downward smack clears a bunch of ants at a time.

I never figured out how to pose.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

P by default.
Not sure about controller. You can check under Common > Balam controls.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Left Thumb Stick Click.

Same as the chat wheel.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

Hmm, this turns out to be true, but there are a few headaches to be had. The trees can be destroyed by your own weapons or even EDF troopers. So, you shouldn't use anything that explodes, reflects or lightnings. This means mostly lances, rapiers, mid range lasers, sniper lasers and particle cannons. Rapiers are usually the best choice, just don't aim straight down. And as always, let the EDF troops die first so you can centralize all your loot.

I got by fine using an IDUNN atop the tall pine trees, just don't shoot too close to the base, also, don't aggro the ants, just hop on the tree and wait a minute for the first wave to kill off every npc. The Heaven's Gate grenades also helped me out a ton here, they just mulch the swarm at the base of your tree

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is anyone else looking for places where you can drop sentries on vehicles? I want to make my vehicles look more awesome and survive swarms, but I am having a hard time finding the right spots I can jump to and place sentries. A list would be a great help.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i need edf buddies. i'm around mission 20 on normal if anyone wants to play.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/SABaram/

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GoonDefenseForce

Join the Steam group!

You'll be able to find a bunch of us faffing about here and there in it.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

-post error??????-

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So, anyone got any updates on any sort of modding community? I know it's possible, it's using the same file format as another heavily modded game (Dragonball Xenoverse) so it ought to be do-able here, I just don't know if there is any modding scene and/or where they would be.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Fencers, as it turn out, can't jump on a tree to farm Crimson... I'm just going to leave it at that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

You suuuure? I tried with the vertical boost and felt like I could have made it with some more time.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

VulgarandStupid posted:

Fencers, as it turn out, can't jump on a tree to farm Crimson... I'm just going to leave it at that.
Ever tried to split screen with an Air Raider and use their vehicles to climb a tree?

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Fencers can vertical boost higher if they're standing still. You have to be right beside it to get higher.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

So are you all implying there's some trick where the Fencer's normally useful fatass perk won't instantly smash the tree when they touch it?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Unhappy Meal posted:

So are you all implying there's some trick where the Fencer's normally useful fatass perk won't instantly smash the tree when they touch it?

*ahem*
I'll see myself out.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I didn't want to fat shame the fencer, why are you so insensitive?

Also all vehicles, I'm pretty sure, mow down trees. I tried the depth crawler and vegalta which can jump, and they didn't work.

You can farm Crimson with some of the higher level Balams. There is one with around 100k health, 225k and 625k. The last two should last, but you can't call them in at the start which complicates things.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 29, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fencers can already rope-a-dope around red ants like nothing, you don't need any special farming tricks.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Really Pants posted:

Fencers can already rope-a-dope around red ants like nothing, you don't need any special farming tricks.

Well, you say that but when red ants can kill you in one grab, because you didn't do full runs of Normal, hard and hardest to build up your armor, you do need dumb tricks on inferno.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Just run the mission with wing diver friends who can do the tree trick and make a cup of tea or something while you're being eaten alive

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah I can do that for whoever. Same name in Steam, look me up.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
This will make me sound dumb, but what the hell are the pilot controls for the helicopter on PS4? My girlfriend tried to pilot one last night while I manned the flamethrower on the passenger side, and she tried everything but couldn't lift off. It was like that "last chopper out of Saigon" photograph but with spiders.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I'm new to edf and haven't played air raider barely at all, but the one time a friend called in that chopper and I hopped in the flamer seat it felt like it took an eternity for the blades to spin up fast enough to take off, compared to helicopters in most other games. Maybe he was just struggling to figure out the controls too though

Mondian fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 29, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Brute is weighed down by all that armor and murderous intent.

It's pretty easy to keep it level and steady once you're up, though. The Bazalert and Neired are way easier to take off in.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Basically you hold down the spin rotor button until you get off the ground, then you let go and start feathering it when you want to level off.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

My only real complaint regarding the level 90 6-way lance that Wing Diver gets is that it doesn't seem to have any penetration to speak of.

Am I stuck with lightning/plasma aoe weapons to get that sweet, sweet punchthrough?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

sushibandit posted:

My only real complaint regarding the level 90 6-way lance that Wing Diver gets is that it doesn't seem to have any penetration to speak of.

Am I stuck with lightning/plasma aoe weapons to get that sweet, sweet punchthrough?

Fly up and rake it across the field.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mondian posted:

I'm new to edf and haven't played air raider barely at all, but the one time a friend called in that chopper and I hopped in the flamer seat it felt like it took an eternity for the blades to spin up fast enough to take off, compared to helicopters in most other games. Maybe he was just struggling to figure out the controls too though

Nope, it's sluggish as all hell.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
The helicopters are surprisingly difficult to maneuver. I should probably see if they are easier with a controller instead of desperately waving my mouse around to turn.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Megafunk posted:

The helicopters are surprisingly difficult to maneuver. I should probably see if they are easier with a controller instead of desperately waving my mouse around to turn.

If they are it's a matter of degrees. It feels impossible to aim no matter what.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Is there a trick to getting into trees as the wing diver? I tried a few times but just sort of slid off.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!

dis astranagant posted:

If they are it's a matter of degrees. It feels impossible to aim no matter what.

The helicopter with the front-mounted lasers is probably the hardest vehicle to even hit anything with. Every time I just shoot everything but the crowd of ants. :hurr:

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Can anyone give me a quick and dirty newbie guide to this? I'm up to mission ~20 and have mostly been playing as ranger but I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

I'm doing fine on the missions but a lot of the time it feels like I leave a thousand pick ups behind because some ant died on the other end of the world and I don't want to dodge roll all the way over there before I kill the last ant and get the mission over screen. Also the red pick ups, armor I guess, what purpose do they really serve? After the first level it seemed like they increased my max hp but after that nothing (obvious) changed at all.

The weapon drops are kind of annoying too because I just get a ton of dupes all the time but I assume that's just the nature of the game.

It says rangers can ride vehicles but can I call them in somehow or do I just get them as part of a mission? I've tried via the voice menu but I'm apparently too stupid to figure this game out. It really feels like I'm missing huge parts.

Just assume you're explaining things to an idiot who's never played an EDF game before (aka me)

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

^^ Red pickups will give you, a ranger, ~0.5 max hp increase each. Weapons drop in a limited range dictated by level/difficulty, so if you spend a lot of time in the same range you'll get a lot of duplicate drops. And as a ranger you can drive/gunner vehicles but you can't call them in, only Air Raiders do that.

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Is there a trick to getting into trees as the wing diver? I tried a few times but just sort of slid off.

The way I do it is to stand at the base and feather the jetpack control up to the top to maintain a steady ascent instead of rocketing up, but if you were standing adjacent to the trunk when you took off you should only barely have to tap forward at the top to land on the peak. You barely have any room to land and the landing animation itself can nudge you off, so its delicate. I thought it was easier with the pine trees, since it's pretty obvious where the top is, compared to the other trees that have an invisible platform surrounded by a canopy of leaves.

Mondian fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 29, 2016

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Walk up to the trunk, to where your'e actually prevented from moving any closer, then fly straight up and barely tap forward. Note that you can also land on helicopters that are in flight, if your air raider buddy is a bad enough dude to bring a helicopter.

abraxas posted:

There are a few missions good for farming weapons. For most missions I'd just be content with grabbing the stuff that drops in the immediate vicinity of the route from mission start to mission end and not sweat it too much.

You could also hop online into a farming game and let other people do the heavy lifting for a few rounds until your gear is up to snuff.

Always roll everywhere. Armor = health pool, always pick up armor.

And rangers can drive or ride in vehicles that an air raider calls in - you can't call them in yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

abraxas posted:

. Also the red pick ups, armor I guess, what purpose do they really serve? After the first level it seemed like they increased my max hp but after that nothing (obvious) changed at all.

Check that you don't have the "limit armor to set amount" slider active, you could be accumulating it but if that's set somehow it won't show up.