Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Kheldarn posted:

Your ideas are skintriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter...

It really is quite the skintellectual pursuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I want to say VII has the most sensible outfits of the lot? Even looking past Tifa's fanservice outfit it makes sense for a Monk. Nothing too glaring (hi Garnet), no dumb capes in the way (hi Rinoa), no weird bellybutton exposing thing (hi Ashe), no Spiran influence (hi FFX).

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I want to say VII has the most sensible outfits of the lot? Even looking past Tifa's fanservice outfit it makes sense for a Monk. Nothing too glaring (hi Garnet), no dumb capes in the way (hi Rinoa), no weird bellybutton exposing thing (hi Ashe), no Spiran influence (hi FFX).

Garnet's outfit isn't really that ridiculous for a runaway princess, I don't think. I mean, she's wearing a jumpsuit(?) and a blouse.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

morallyobjected posted:

Garnet's outfit isn't really that ridiculous for a runaway princess, I don't think. I mean, she's wearing a jumpsuit(?) and a blouse.

She's one of those acrobatic action princesses. Also, that feasibly could have been the only suitable running away/getting kidnapped clothes she had.

Garnet: (flipping furiously through wardrobe) "Gown, gown, evening dress, gown, leotard, gown, blouse... why do I even BOTHER"

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Garnet had her cute White Mage robe on too. Seems like throwing that over a playsuit and a blouse would be ok for travelling.

Right up until she needs to use a toilet, and then Garnet would have, to her horror, realised how impractical a playsuit can really be :sweatdrop:

Edit: or is it a romper? I forget what you call them when they have a full leg.

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Spira takes the cake for bad outfits. Someone send Tim Gunn, stat

Hey my uncle sells belts and has been telling me that belt-dresses are the hottest in town!!

I will not let you badmouth the belt-dresses!!:catstare:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Huh, turns out you can just give up and leave.

Should I? Ramuh has literally no use at level 1, but the cost of getting him is no biggie...

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Sure, see if that goon was right about Perdiots losing his ability

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Should I? Ramuh has literally no use at level 1, but the cost of getting him is no biggie...

Hey if you have nothing better to learn with your AP...

Then again I don't think there are any forced boss fights Dagger's participating in that give AP, are there?

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
Lulu's belt-dress was created as a challenge to the 3D modelers to see what kind of performance they could get out of the PS2. In that light, I'd say they performed admirably.

I don't know if any FFIX clothing had a similar origin; very few FFIX people are still around in the office these days.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

gbuchold posted:

I don't know if any FFIX clothing had a similar origin; very few FFIX people are still around in the office these days.

As far as I can tell the challenge was "Can we do a butt?"
And also probably to a degree, "Can we translated SNES-style clothing to 3D?"

Lavender menace
Nov 7, 2012

by Lowtax

What does the insane speedrun strategy have to say about it?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Considering the entire purpose of that guide is obtaining a perfect save, I'd imagine he'd have you get Ramuh.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Bad Seafood posted:

Considering the entire purpose of that guide is obtaining a perfect save, I'd imagine he'd have you get Ramuh.

Actually it's probably faster to skip it and just get a peridot later from one of the griffons.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

After forty updates, we have reached a new continent!

The Mist Continent is by far the largest and most densely populated, but the Outer Continent has quite a few things to it as well. Also, those left two continents look like a wyvern and a flaming horse to me.

First thing you'll notice upon arriving is some weird structure perched upon a bridge. We'll get there soon enough.

Along here you'll find Griffins from the last dungeon and Zanghols like the one we fought at the Hunter's Festival. There are two other enemies around here but I never seemed to run into them, only Griffins and Zanghols. Considering the other two have Blue Magic, it's quite frustrating and it'll be a couple updates before I finally get the drat things.

Also on this continent, a Qu Marsh. This one isn't quite as extensive as the one on the Mist Continent, though the moogle brothers managed to find their way here somehow.

On your way here, you saw a flat building shaped like a bridge, right? Try going there first.

Anyway, this place is relevant because we can catch frogs here.

It's harder to traverse and thus catch frogs (trying to leave a gold/male/female meant I ended up chasing the last sole frog for maybe 5-10 minutes, joy), but I catch a few to bump up my total.

There's also chocobo tracks here, so we can summon our buddy to dig up some more chocographs!

Except right now there's only one new one we can reach.

Not a bad haul, but not an exciting one either. 9 Phoenix Pinions, 5 Phoenix Downs, 12 Peridots, and Diamond Gloves. The last one is nice since it nullifies water damage and teaches Steiner and Freya both Counter and Ability Up, but it'll also be quite awhile before we'll get either one again.

A whopping once I do run into a Goblin Mage. It's a goblin that casts magic, and if eaten teaches the kinda-useless Goblin Punch.

For once, Matra Magic actually works!

Then I forgot I had Mug and accidentally kill it. WELP.

There's a bit more to do, but we'll get to that later. For now, let's check this place out.

Yeah, and what a weird-shaped...village? What is that thing?
Maybe it's a temple of some kind.
Is very delicious shape. Inside might have fine cuisine!

Geez... All s/he ever thinks about is food.

Uh, you think?

Meet the dwarves. In the early games, dwarves were a major staple race. They had remote caves in 1 and 3, the latter race protecting the Fire Crystal (and the former one possessing loving dynamite). They're at their highest in FF4, where they're the dominant race of the underground and hold a pretty large role in the plot (and you even have one playable in The After Years). They've diminished in 5 where there's only five or so hanging out underground, and after that they completely disappear from the franchise except for this game and Dimensions.

Rally-ho is their properly-translated greeting cry. It was Lali-Ho in the English versions of FF4 as part of that game's rather poor translation, but Rally-ho makes more sense as a dwarven cry.

Wh-What's up with these little guys?

Oh, come on...
Rally-ho's oor sacred greetin'!

...So you may have noticed that the localization choice for the dwarven dialect is to raise the "Scottish dialect" dial to 11. It's going to be an utter joy transcribing this.

I love how utterly miserable Zidane is about saying a word. Too concerned about his image and all.

Anyway, we've got some ATE's we can go through now, so let's start with Vivi.

Ye're always loiterin' aroon'!
Wheesht! Would ye stop hecklin' me fer once!
Away wi' ye!

Where would ye be wi'oot me!?
Y-Ye dinnae have tae get sae angry...
If ye didnae want tae hear ma complainin', ye'd get back tae work!

Mercy me! Are nae ye a wee one... Runnin' errands here, are ye?
Um, pardon me, but...

Others?

We came to this continent looking for someone...
We dinnae get many ootsiders here!

Keep an eye on the names. They're all rather common first names combined with occupational last names. As has been demonstrated many times, FF9 goes all-out with its flavor.

That's all the NPCs in this room. On to the next and thus the next ATE.

This village have tasty munchies?
Aye, that we do! Condie Petie is hame tae the most delicious nuts an' berries in the warld! Ah ken that's why folk're always stealin' oor food!
How rude! Thieves very bad people.
Aye! That's right!

Transcribing dialogue between Quina and a dwarf is going to give me an aneurysm. Also, that "Condie" part is actually in the script, but I can't really fault the localization team for missing a mistake in the middle of this dialogue.

Ah'll let ye have that pumpkin bomb there fer 1000 Gil!
Huh? Why you need Gil to eat food?
If ye dinnae pay fer somethin', ye're stealin'!

N-Not me! I only gourmand!
Ye cannae fool me, thief!

Color me surprised that there'd be a communication breakdown between a Qu and a dwarf.

How come you built your village on this spot?
'Cause we feel the mountains, the woods, an' the sun here mair than anywhere else! See, Conde Petie is suroonded by the mountains, nearhaun the woods, an' blessed by the sun!

It's so hard to choose, but I gotta pick seasoned oglop.

Aye, that's great! But ye have tae go tae the Moontain Path fer that!

Next, Dagger gets to experience the joys of talking with dwarves.

Well, what's wrong wi' this ootsider lass right here?

Hmm... Sanctuary...

At least Dagger has alternatives now if things with Zidane don't work out. I'd love to see a dwarf as heir King of Alexandria.

Wendy Grocer sells basic items. Nothing exciting.

Another moogle letter as well.

Nothing new weapon-wise besides those Poison Knuckles that nobody can equip (yes, we are finally going to meet the last two playable characters soon), but there's some new armor. For the mages, there's the Magic Armlet to boost Magic and teach Clear-Headed and Silence as well as the Magician Cloak to boost ice damage and teach Insomniac and MP +10%. There's also the Ritual Hat, which teaches Bright Eyes, Counter, and Undead Killer.

Otherwise, we're kinda restricted on where we can go. Might as well admire the...what is this?

An' afterward we'll go tae the Sanctuary tae enscribe oor names together!

O' course, we're a wee bit young tae receive the blessin' just yet.

Mods change my name to Kelley Fingerwaver

Um... These two people-

What way did ye cook it? Did ye frizzle it wi' some o' yer mejick?
The berries ye traded me were astoondin', too! But likesay, what's a wee lad like ye doin' here the day?

How could I? I've never been here before.
Yeah, I didn't think so.
I'll try talking to some other people.

With that, let's check out one more ATE.

But ye just ate a boiled owl, did ye no?
Ah did, but it didnae satisfy me voracious appetite! Ah have tae eat somethin' wi' more punch, likesay... Eh?

Rally-ho! What have ye tae sell today!?

Hmmmm...

Hi. Have you seen a strange-looking guy here? He goes by the name of Kuja...

No... You see, uh, he looks really sinister, and uh...

So much for that! Talk again, though...

Someday, Ah want tae travel the warld together wi' ma duggy!

This place is an inn if we need it.

Wise words from Barbara Gibgab.

...Mods, change my name to Barbara Gibgab.

Anyway, that's it with NPCs. To continue the plot, we need to go back to Wendy Grocer the Grocer.

Plenty thanks. Yir goods are always welcome here.

Zidane, what's going on?
I have no idea... But we gotta catch up with Vivi!

He ran away.
Huh. Where the heck did he come from? Has Brahne found us?

Huh? Did you just say Pointy-Hats!?
Nay, Ah said Pyntie-Hets! They often come from the Sootheast Forest tae trade wi' us.
They!? You mean there's lots of them? And...they live near here?
Aye! But ye gots tae go all the way aroon' yon cliff an' then go east tae find the Sootheast Forest!

What's that supposed to mean?

Yeah, me too.
I think it's a good idea. We might find some clues.
If possible to try new food, anywhere fine.

We can just ride our chocobo all the way there, but there's an encounter I want to trigger there. Well, several encounters really, but I have no luck with those other two monsters and I can always do Ragtime Mouse later.

Ladybug is the next monster in the Friendly Monsters quest chain.

Like the others, she likes Ore.

But she's a little greedy and wants two of them. Fine with me.

And with that, we get 20AP and an Ether.

Next time, we get to one of my favorite parts of the game.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

kalonZombie posted:

Actually it's probably faster to skip it and just get a peridot later from one of the griffons.
Unless it's true that skipping the side quest seals off your access to Ramuh for the rest of the game.

In any case, it's "Something to do" in a guide dedicated to "Doing everything possible" on one save. I don't have it on hand but I'd be surprised if he skipped it.

EDIT: Robert Dogherder is the best.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 30, 2016

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Lavender menace posted:

What does the insane speedrun strategy have to say about it?
I was (like usual) waiting for OFS to finish his part so I wouldn't spoil anything he's about to do of course, and this time that means I have to wait longer. Though it seems that the wait is over soon?

But I guess I can peek ahead for this:

code:
 o Pinnacle Rocks is theoretically skippable, but since you're collecting all
   the treasure, you may as well get the story pieces; they're right next to
   the chests, after all.
That makes sense, seeing as you can't get back and all.

There is another fascinating tidbit afterwards, but I'll wait for that when OFS has posted his.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Can we all agree the dwarves in this game have the most badass names ever?

I wish I had a name half as cool as Harold Pathknower. :negative:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Can we all agree the dwarves in this game have the most badass names ever?

I wish I had a name half as cool as Harold Pathknower. :negative:
I'm sorry you will have to settle for Hob Fartsalot, does this count as "half as cool"?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Quina's 'Rally-ho yourself' may be his/her best line in the game. :allears:

Also I love that Vivi goes 'Gee-whiz'. It's adorable.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
For some reason I always remember this part of Disc 2 being a lot more epic than it is. But that's probably because I was grounded when I got here so I had to get up at like 2 AM and play so it took a lot longer.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Simply Simon posted:

I'm sorry you will have to settle for Hob Fartsalot, does this count as "half as cool"?

But shitposting is my hobby, not my job.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

For some reason I always remember this part of Disc 2 being a lot more epic than it is. But that's probably because I was grounded when I got here so I had to get up at like 2 AM and play so it took a lot longer.

I dunno, man, there's a character named Derek Stonehammer. That's pretty epic as it is and probably someone's wrestling stage name.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mega64 posted:

Huh? Did you just say Pointy-Hats!?
Nay, Ah said Pyntie-Hets!

Conde Petie is just delightful

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

You missed a small bit here, there's a ! spot behind Jenny covered by that pillar. There's no item there but it prompts some dialogue from her:

quote:

Aha! Don't think I didnae see that! Ah ken ye're checkin' me oot! It isnae ma fault Ah'm so comely, ye lech!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mega64 posted:

...So you may have noticed that the localization choice for the dwarven dialect is to raise the "Scottish dialect" dial to 11. It's going to be an utter joy transcribing this.

For what it's worth, Scottish people are very particular about Scots being a separate language from English and not just a dialect. They have their own translation of Wikipedia which is about 95% intelligible to the most English speakers.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Simply Simon posted:

I was (like usual) waiting for OFS to finish his part

PC gaming must be great since my brother is spending a lot of time PC gaming.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

PC gaming must be great since my brother is spending a lot of time PC gaming.

want me to kick his rear end in dota man

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I hope OFS or Mega shows off the dialog when you search one of the "!" things behind a pillar in Conde Petie.

Edit: oh, Kanfy showed it. Nevermind.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

ultrafilter posted:

For what it's worth, Scottish people are very particular about Scots being a separate language from English and not just a dialect. They have their own translation of Wikipedia which is about 95% intelligible to the most English speakers.

Also this is actually a really good transcription of Scottish dialogue. Usually it gets muddled with some British word and Irish tempo (or crossed with Aussie) but here it's pretty pure and understandable if you read everything phonetically.

Bad Seafood posted:

EDIT: Robert Dogherder is the best.

There is a little Robert Dogherder in all of us, whether we know it or not. Just that little kernal of wanting to travel the world with our duggy.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 30, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

CHAPTER TEN: When good Ratchel came back she wanted find her boyfrend but he leaved. "Fratley! You moved to Englind too soon and I did't say bye!"

Kukri has her eidolons extracted. I'd never cast them anyway, so.

Anyway, the soldiers. There's a lot of them in Cleyra.

(yoink)

Ratchel stabs one and... uh...

Okay maybe that'll do? No? Try it again!

Okay, THAT works. Soldiers have 523 HP, and they flee if they're at low enough HP.

"Low enough" is a threshold I don't exactly know. It's way too close to their total.

One jab and two thwacks turns out to be too much this time. Reset!

Okay? Maybe this will help?

Um, no, uh, and she's too low to be smacked by the oak staff and live. Reset!

Maybe some more strength would do it?

Nope. Reset!

What the secret is Gitan in the back row hits with The Ogre, then Ratchel throws in a jab.

That is consistently enough to throw them into escape range without being too much to throw them into dead range. Every fight in the tree is two Soldiers, and they all go this way.

There's Type B's as well. They aren't as dangerous as the Type A's, and they're also handled by Stop.

Funnily enough, Stop keeps the interface in when it freezes.

Soldiers are the same as before, even as a trio.

Two Type B's. Papito might run out of MP in the process of Stopping but you can spare a few Ethers. Don't spend all of them, though. You'll need some for the Gauntlet, and it's the next thing up.

Thankfully, as he's equipped for raw magic it makes him immune to Osmose.

Giving the people the wrong directions not only remove their rewards, but it incurrs extra fights. Reset!

So pick the correct directions.

A mix of foes. Gitan and Ratchel are not involved against Type B's and Papito contributes nothing to chipping at the Soldiers, so it's no trouble to work on multiples at once. Quark is around to throw healing items if needed.

When needed. Blizzara from a soldier one-shots Ratchel.

"I refuse to believe my bae is someone with so stupid of a name as Ratchel."

Some of the folks give restoratives, which are always appreciated, but it might be worth resetting for the cards.

Hm, that's good.

Acceptable. Okay. I there's one last point to get cards and with those I think I have a Battle City deck.

Anyway, here's Beatrix 2.

click me too

First thing, Quark sets up Auto-Life.

Second, Gitan steals to get some free money.

Beatrix is considerate enough to off Quark for me.

You know, since she offes the whole party.

But Quark gets off the Limit Glove at the last second. The situation looks dire, but it's okay. As long as you don't lose, you win!

Stock Break does absolutely nothing but still ends the fight.

See you, Quark. I'll miss your Limit Gloves and your gold-pressed latinum.

The menu on the Red Rose is the last chance to gear up Gitan & pals before the timer runs. The timer is extremely forgiving but still.

Anyway, Tinhank and Marcus's escape. The birdcage is after the save point so if something happens you have to redo this bit.

The soldiers are here too!

Blizzara still hurts. Reset!

It's a bit of work but Tinhank and Marcus can still plink off enough HP to get them to run.

There is a chance, if you have a turbo controller, to infinitely level Marcus here, since the Blood Sword recovers HP and the gaurds will come to you. This not only gets a ton of gil, but also Potions and Mythril Sword cards aplenty. And stats for a later party member but not enough, to, like, matter.

I'm still not doing it.

"Literally as in 30 minutes from when I say this."

OH NO HOW TERRIBLE

Alexandrain Soldiers, as opposed to Cleyran Soldiers, have only 450 HP. The one-two punch deals slightly over 480 damage. Reset!

RIP Blood Sword, 11 attack is too huge of a gap.

The twins are no issue as they'll never do anything if you keep whacking one. The Gauntlet is bookened by breather bosses.

I hold off on winning until Gitan gets the goods.

Hot drat!

Unfortunately, they were wrong when they said a summoner needs to be 16 years old to have her eidolons extracted. She needed to be level 16 to survive.

THE END
Dedicaited to Kukri

REGISTER OF RESETS:
One to Tidal Flame Garnet for the hell of it; Unknown number lost to plant spiders spawn numbers; died to Flans without Flee; Untimely crit pushed Sealion to fatally Blizzara; less work to suicide on optional Type A fight than to win or reset; incredible number of resets for phoenix down RNG; and then again; Marcus gained levels; Snared by the Mandragoras leaving Quan's Dwelling; Only one on a pointless phoenix down rng; Antlion did not cooperate; Again, Antlion did not cooperate; Soldiers beaten too hard once; twice; thrice; Gitan lied Cleyrans died; Tinhank and Marcus didn't make it; bonus fourth Soldier beating.

KharlanTree
Aug 21, 2014

Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
You see me I be
Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
How has nobody noticed that the best Dwarven name is Jinkus Emptybottle?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think someone really hosed up with designing the blue magic list. Goblin Punch is just a single target spell with 20 attack power. For comparison, Vivi's 2nd tier spells, which he can start learning before the end of Disc 1, are 29 attack power. It would actually be a really useful spell if you could take Quina back to the Gunitas Basin where there are regular goblins, but you can't return to that area with Quina in your party until Disc 3.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Pretty sure they were wary about blue magic. Every game previous to this, they were pretty bonkers in terms of what you could do with them. Starting with 9 blue magic started to suffer in its strength

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
My personal favorite dwarf name isn't showing up for another 2 or 3 updates.

David Heavenguard sounds like a badass holy warrior. He protects Heaven by kicking rear end in the name of the LORD!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

berenzen posted:

Pretty sure they were wary about blue magic. Every game previous to this, they were pretty bonkers in terms of what you could do with them. Starting with 9 blue magic started to suffer in its strength

8 had Quistis the one-woman destruction machine and 7 had Enemy Skill which could do everything in one materia.

Yeah.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't remember Lore in FF6 being that broken. Am I forgetting something?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ultrafilter posted:

It would've been but magic in that game is so broken that Lore seems quaint compared.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Blue Magic is always tricky to handle. You have to work for it more than White, Black, and Time magic so it makes sense that it gets a boost, an on the other end of the spectrum you have Quina (who has to work even harder for a skillset that's 90% useless) and Kimahri who learns it much easier but it's relatively nerfed. It's hard to find a balance.

I do remember a Final Fantasy Tactics patch that turned Meliadoul into a Blue Mage and it was pretty drat effective and balanced. It worked a lot better in that format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

ultrafilter posted:

Nope, FF6's Blue Magic was pretty lame. Though part of the problem was that level manipulation wasn't really much of a thing anymore (Strago did have Dischord, but I don't think I ever saw him make it land), so Level 5 Death wasn't a busted-rear end spell anymore. And Level 2 Old got replaced with Level 3 Confuse, and Level 3 Flare moved up to Level 4, so neither of those were great either. Let's see, what else did he have that got nerfed? White/Pearl Wind isn't very useful on Strago's low-HP rear end (and Bone Mail isn't a thing anymore either), Big Guard can only be gotten in the final drat dungeon, and his elemental spells are decent but not anything special like Air Knife Aeroga. And while he also gets Grand Train, you need to do a pain-in-the-rear end sidequest for a chance at getting it, and it's not even as good as Ultima (but then, what is?). And that's not even getting into the poo poo that can break your game, like Rippler causing you to permanently lose Interceptor.

So yeah, all in all Blue Magic suffered massively in 6.

• Locked thread