Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

emoji posted:

Why aren't any of these AIDS people capable of providing a single reason as to why bluetooth or extra adaptors improve the product? Bluetooth pairing is dodgy at best and always will be. Not even Apple can make bluetooth work reliably across their own products in ideal conditions without interference today with their latest products. Airdropping a pic from your brand new iPhone to your band new Macbook often requires toggling BT on/off on both devices several times today on July 29. Meanwhile a solution already exists that will always be nearly perfectly reliable.

eh, no need to be dramatic, bluetooth is fine, adapters will solve a lot of remaining issues

from where i am standing the issue is that getting rid of the 3.5mm jack makes the phone *slightly* worse for no real benefit, and it would be really sad to see since apple were the ones to bring the 3.5mm jack to phones to start with. not like the audio jack was any less outdated in 2007, and a2dp was around and working just fine at that time as well

so, yeah, rip steve, pretty unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

yeah all that added weight [of the phone being thick enough to have a headphone jack, also no camera hump] sure will be unbearable

*gets knocked over by stiff breeze*

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

emoji posted:

Why aren't any of these AIDS people capable of providing a single reason as to why bluetooth or extra adaptors improve the product? Bluetooth pairing is dodgy at best and always will be. Not even Apple can make bluetooth work reliably across their own products in ideal conditions without interference today with their latest products. Airdropping a pic from your brand new iPhone to your band new Macbook often requires toggling BT on/off on both devices several times today on July 29. Meanwhile a solution already exists that will always be nearly perfectly reliable.

Uhh dude get with the future ??( Cables = fail grandpa poo poo. Bluetooth = good, future science stuff. I work for a startup and get paid mostly in stock and nobody wants to get a beer with me after work because I'm 45 and smell like cheese and cat 5 cables. Apple FTW

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Jonny 290 posted:

"hey i think you're cute and we should gently caress but i want you to wear a condom"

maniacdevnull: "ugh loving elaborate hardware stacks"

you are powerfully retarded

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

maniacdevnull posted:

You can't listen to them while charging. Getting rid of 3.5 is so so so dumb.

you don't know that and there is more than enough pin to support both concurrently

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
all future lightning cables will have to have 3.5" ports on the cable side of the lightning plug if they want to be certified by apple.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

emoji posted:

it saves a cubic centimeter of internal volume

that's the the only reason

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
i bet most of the posters in this thread cried when the floppy disk was deprecated. the world is changing, get used to it

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Maximum Leader posted:

i bet most of the posters in this thread cried when the floppy disk was deprecated. the world is changing, get used to it

which floppy disk?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
apple users cargo culting so hard they're gonna get rid of the screen next

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

bluetooth is great - i have a small speaker for my shower and i turn it on - my iphone automatically connects, hey good audio coming through

magic

so good

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Maximum Leader posted:

The imac had to be unplugged from the wall to use a usb floppy drive, since both functions were on the same port.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

it would be cool if you could plug a double ended lightning cable between two iphones and a bubble of electricity would travel down the wire from each phone like looney tunes and then they would meet in the middle and the cable would swell up real big and explode

lol

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

and again, dongle it.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Shaggar posted:

all future lightning cables will have to have 3.5" ports on the cable side of the lightning plug if they want to be certified by apple.

It'll look like the gameboy advance link cables, with a lump in the middle. Or just carry a mobile hub! So much simpler than two ports for two distinct features!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fig. 1: iphone 7 design reference

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

2016 year of the dongle baby

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

as an aging millennial, i appreciate apple appealing to my nostalgia by bringing back the Y2K Aesthetic coolness of the Jog Wheel

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

yeah all that added weight sure will be unbearable

*gets knocked over by stiff breeze*

the extra weight is annoying because it causes the cable to behave like a bolas and tie itself up. have you never operated a rope before?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hmm. I wonder if the brain damaged tech slave who is in love with Apple's design decision for literally no reason he can state other than its 'modern' thought about actually using it.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Sagebrush posted:

the extra weight is annoying because it causes the cable to behave like a bolas and tie itself up. have you never operated a rope before?

do you always have meltdowns about your headphone cable getting tangled or is this a new trigger for you?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Apple maps doesn't know that a highway offramp has been on the other side of the road for like 6 months now yet.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
My car rear speakers kept crackling / hissing at random times when playing music over bluetooth from my iPhone 6. AUX cable is just fine.

rip headunits with aux inputs. can't wait to have to unsynx my device and make friends sync their phone to it in order to play funny dog text to speech videos

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

you realize that there are no "rear" channels on bluetooth?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I guess that matters if you're playing videos through shakers but watching on your phone for some reason

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

The point is now there is no AUX choice without pulling out ~muh dongle~

URL grey tea fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 29, 2016

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I guess that matters if you're playing videos through shakers but watching on your phone for some reason

Some videos also have audio, which can be listened to without needing to watch the video, hth

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

I was wondering what that word filter was bravo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Amethyst posted:

you are powerfully retarded

im not the one pissing + moaning about an adapter of no consequence

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

URL grey tea posted:

Some videos also have audio, which can be listened to without needing to watch the video, hth

yeah i guess it's too bad that there's just no way at all to mix from 3+ channels down to 2 and split between left and right.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

im not the one pissing + moaning about an adapter of no consequence

is that really any worse than jizzing over the cargo culting removal of features for no benefit

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if you've read the paper on the teardown of what horseshit they have to go through to get that little wired button on the earpods to work, you wouldnt say it had no benefit at all

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
let me guess, they're driving serial data along side the analog audio

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

if you've read the paper on the teardown of what horseshit they have to go through to get that little wired button on the earpods to work, you wouldnt say it had no benefit at all

hmm it's almost like randomly changing perfectly functional standards is bad

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

surround sound for music is stupid as gently caress

stereo only

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

hmm it's almost like randomly changing perfectly functional standards is bad

btw I'm perfectly aware of the logical fallacies and oversimplifications this post required and it's still less absurd than removing the headphone jack

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the future is getting worse. some people think this is good

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

oh you touch my tralala
oww my ding ding dongle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z13qnzUQwuI

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

fig. 1: iphone 7 design reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I've got a nice pair of Bose noise cancelling headphones that sound fine on Bluetooth so I don't really see what the problem is

• Locked thread