Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Blade is about 82cm or 32 inches long, sadly I have nothing to weight it with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

HEY GAL posted:

vital stats? :sweden:

1d8 slashing/piercing damage

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

inscrutable horse posted:

1d8 slashing/piercing damage

Junk. Hold out for the vorpal +5 weapon. Then decapitate a dragon. Lmao if you're not lvl 21 with 18:00 str.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Rapiers are dex weapons you scrubs

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

that is not a rapier, it's a felddegen / schwedendegen / haudegen.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

some nerd has never held a rapier

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Were any of you guys in/around the venue Thursday night?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Let me tell you about Dark Souls

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Also, has anyone here trained with a dussak? One of these things:

A local group trains with these and I have been to a few sessions, it's quite interesting. It's like fighting with a short sabre or a cutlass.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Ataxerxes posted:

A local group trains with these and I have been to a few sessions, it's quite interesting. It's like fighting with a short sabre or a cutlass.

I've played around with them a bit for one handed sparring during my club's super informal messer study, since actual messers hurt like hell even with gear on. No idea what I'm doing with the thing, but damned if I'm not having fun.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

Ataxerxes posted:

I'm a big fan of dussak. People today tend to use them as messer trainers, but back in the day they also had their own spectator sport. First person to bleed on the head loses.

Has anyone ever tried replicating that? I would pay money to see it.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

dupersaurus posted:

Were any of you guys in/around the venue Thursday night?

Won't deny; I was having similar concerns when I was at the bar hearing about the events. I thought I recognized the skyline shots from the last NAC in Dallas, and I even checked to see how close the locations were from the Omni. I relaxed when I got more information about the shootings though. Still, my Facebook feed was filled with people checking in.

For those that don't know why this is relevant to fencing, Summer Nats was being held in Dallas this past week. The final day of competitions was scheduled for the 8th but was, eventually, cancelled because of the shootings.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh gosh I hope everyone's all right. :ohdear:

I just came back from a vacation up north, and there was stuff waiting for me!

What could it be?

Surprise! It's fencing crap! :neckbeard: Specifically, a textbook on early 19th century military fencing, and a gorget.

The gorget feels okay (and looks like a piece of BDSM gear), but whoever decided that it should close with a bit of elastic deserves a smack. I might have to sew on some more velcro to accommodate my dainty neck since the strap is actually too long. Here's hoping it plays nice with my mask.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Yeah my club had a bunch of kids competing in the last few days, so pretty much the bulk of the contingent was still there. Sounded like some people got caught in the lock-down, but it wasn't clear if the convention center was within it or if they were elsewhere at the time.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh yeah and that tall box?

Full of blurry feders! Mine's the upside-down one, with the cord-wrapped handle. The square grip is going to take a bit to get used to, and the blade is the tiniest bit off when compared to the beat-up loaner I've been favouring, but I'm sure we'll be good friends in time. :3:

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I never really got feders, for me they seem somehow off.

But apparently the local crew is doing rapier or proto-rapier now so I should probably get into that poo poo after the summer.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

dupersaurus posted:

At least we're not epeeists!

You sonofabitch! I'll duel to defend my epeeist honour! But paradoxically I can only duel other epeeists!

:negative:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I guess I've grown used to them, they've become That Thing You Practice With. But yeah they do look kinda odd.

Had a couple of impromptu singlestick bouts tonight and oh my gosh it was so much fun! Gotta figure out where to get a big bundle of sticks and a couple of baskets. Also ow, gotta stretch my hamstrings out because my knee is being super strict about my lunging form right now.

Edit: In other news, Leon Paul is now selling a smallsword simulator for HEMA peeps on a budget. It's just a #2 epee blade on a French foil hilt. I can't decide if I should be :v: or :shobon:, really.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 14, 2016

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Let me tell you about Dark Souls

Foil is the obvious choice for pro-tier play, gotta keep your equip weight down so you can get that fast roll

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Foil is the obvious choice for pro-tier play, gotta keep your equip weight down so you can get that fast roll
Its counter bonus is non-existent though, so you'll get murdered trying to trade.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

The +1 to chandelier swinging is boss, though

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Speaking of foil, my main weapon has a sticky tip (takes excessive force to depress the tip sometimes). I went to open it up today and clean it out, but the grubscrews are so badly bashed that the screwdriver slots are more or less filled in. I could get a really small drill and try to drill the buggers out - they're Leon Paul ones so are more like epee tip screw size - but I'm afraid I'd slip and smash the tip. Am I poo poo outta luck here as far as non-destructive repairs go?

Also, new sabre blade on the way. Why do I do this to myself, why?

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

Crazy Achmed posted:

Speaking of foil, my main weapon has a sticky tip (takes excessive force to depress the tip sometimes). I went to open it up today and clean it out, but the grubscrews are so badly bashed that the screwdriver slots are more or less filled in. I could get a really small drill and try to drill the buggers out - they're Leon Paul ones so are more like epee tip screw size - but I'm afraid I'd slip and smash the tip. Am I poo poo outta luck here as far as non-destructive repairs go?

Also, new sabre blade on the way. Why do I do this to myself, why?

One time when I was in that situation I forced a particularly thin screwdriver into the screws, and I just kind of brute forced it to get just barely enough traction to unscrew them. If I couldn't do that I would just apply some gun oil to the tip to make it a bit less sticky and just keep using the weapon until the screws fall out on their own... which screws tend to do on over time anyway.

You could try drilling it out, but if I tried that I would probably end up stripping the tip and damaging the barrel. You would probably want to try every other option first, unless you are really confident in your drilling.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
double post

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Yeah I've had luck before hammering the screwdriver into the screw, but that might require having some slot remaining.

In other news, the FIE has released a fencing game. It's amusing enough even though it's a weird amalgamation of the three weapons.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well, I've recreated some of the slot by repeatedly running a box cutter though it, the screws seem to be pretty soft metal. But i might have to try your suggestion of using a thin screwdriver - i can probably grind one down to a thinner tip. It's either that or i just replace the entire barrel and rewire it (ugh).
The blade itself is otherwise in great condition - I'm not sure how they do it, but vnitis seem to be really durable. Slightly floppier than I'd prefer, but it's not enough to really notice when I'm fencing.

Edit: I'm skimming through that wada report about Russian doping, it's incredibly damning. Fencing's on the list but only a couple of athletes seem to be implicated. Still, :(

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 20, 2016

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-programme.html

So... This happened.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Actually, no it didn't! Sports is hard.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/25/sports/olympics/rio-russia-ban-doping.html?_r=0

Basically, we'll find out this week what the FIE decides to do. Given that they have two Russian fencers on their homepage; I'm going to assume that Russian fencers will compete at Rio.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Back from Longpoint 2016. What a ride. Didn't compete, just judged. Wrassled Matt Easton, did some free sparring, and drank way too much. LP 2016 summed up in one picture taken this morning. The hangover is real.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Does this thread not welcome HEMA people

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

BirdOfPlay posted:

Actually, no it didn't! Sports is hard.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/25/sports/olympics/rio-russia-ban-doping.html?_r=0

Basically, we'll find out this week what the FIE decides to do. Given that they have two Russian fencers on their homepage; I'm going to assume that Russian fencers will compete at Rio.

It's been confirmed that the Russians will be fencing.

KyloWinter posted:

Does this thread not welcome HEMA people

Pretty sure HEMA outnumbers us sporters at this point

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

dupersaurus posted:

Pretty sure HEMA outnumbers us sporters at this point

Okay. It must just have been the last few pages of someone getting mad and making GBS threads on HEMA.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

KyloWinter posted:

Okay. It must just have been the last few pages of someone getting mad and making GBS threads on HEMA.

that's some sca dumbshit, gently caress those guys

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot
hema go home

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Neat vid on Nzingha: https://vimeo.com/176507317

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
http://rio2016.fie.org/media/news/view-news/1418

This turd of a game has me hooked. Maybe we should open up a goon club?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh hey it's the Olympics already. When will the beekeepers fight?

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Siivola posted:

Oh hey it's the Olympics already. When will the beekeepers fight?

They start this Saturday with Women's Epee - Individual and finish next Sunday with Men's Epee - Team. I believe NBC will be having the same broadcast schedule for fencing, but I'm not sure. At London, I think it was only Women's Sabre that got televised at prime time, but that would be a grave disservice to our Men's Foil team.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

BirdOfPlay posted:

They start this Saturday with Women's Epee - Individual and finish next Sunday with Men's Epee - Team. I believe NBC will be having the same broadcast schedule for fencing, but I'm not sure. At London, I think it was only Women's Sabre that got televised at prime time, but that would be a grave disservice to our Men's Foil team.

I'm hoping that the BBC will have the same online coverage as they did for the London Olympics, which was a really good way of catching up. Not sure if this was mainly due to it being 'local'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I don't have a telly, can I catch it on FIE's Youtube channel or something?