Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
One of the local store owners has a set of really garishly painted ships, including a Nebulon in black with neon green highlights, and a Victory we like to call "The amazing technicolor dreadnaught".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Chill la Chill posted:

Anyone have any pictures of painted ships in bizarre, garish colors? I'd like to buy some models but what's put me off is that it doesn't seem like you can do that with large ships the same way you could with fighter pilot jockeys but it's my preferred painting style. The old greys + weathering patterns always seemed boring to me. Reds/golds/blacks worked in 40k's battle fleet gothic because the architecture was there, but you don't exactly have giant cathedrals and huge prows on star wars ships.

I bet a gold ISD would rule

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Strobe posted:

One of the local store owners has a set of really garishly painted ships, including a Nebulon in black with neon green highlights, and a Victory we like to call "The amazing technicolor dreadnaught".

Anything with street art on it, by chance? I know the scale is way off but it might look nicer than I'm imagining.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
No. He does also have an Assault Frigate painted like an orca (complete with dorsal fin), though.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

gender illusionist posted:

I bet a gold ISD would rule

Now we're talking. That's the centerpiece, and other ship patterns should include purple leopard print, patterns that resemble Adidas tracksuits, or a marble effect.

Make it look like a fleet commissioned by a tacky Russian mob boss.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Errant Venture or bust

I know a guy at the FLGS has black ISDs with neon green trim.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

canyoneer posted:

Now we're talking. That's the centerpiece, and other ship patterns should include purple leopard print, patterns that resemble Adidas tracksuits, or a marble effect.

I'll start with trying it on a decimator and a lambda for x-wing, but I'm thinking an anime itasha-style paintjob would work for the flat star destroyers.

Like this:

gender illusionist posted:

Neon pink windows on the golden ISD
This would also be pretty good.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 28, 2016

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

canyoneer posted:

Neon pink windows on the golden ISD

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

StashAugustine posted:

Errant Venture or bust

I know a guy at the FLGS has black ISDs with neon green trim.
When trying to remember the name of that ship I found this:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/29/star-wars-destiny/

Collectible? Ugh

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Looks like those DiceMasters games I keep seeing rebranded again and again.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I've already gone all in on Armada, X-Wing and ImpAss but I gotta draw the line at card games, especially of the collectible card variety.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Hopefully that's not their big announcement for Gen Con because it's kind of disappointing.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

With the Armada stuff getting announced and sent out pretty recently, it could be that they're clearing way to make announcements for stuff that'll be coming with Rogue One later this year?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
That game looks insanely bad.

quote:

Unlike many games, the dice in Star Wars: Destiny do not use stickers. Instead, the dice are plastic-injected like normal dice and rolled in a tumbler to add a fine, smooth polish to every die. The images on each side are then physically heat-pressed onto the dice, essentially printing the artwork directly onto the plastic. Finally, the die is covered in a scratch-resistant coating, allowing you to roll these dice without their quality deteriorating.

An entire paragraph of ad copy devoted to "Why buy our game? Because our dice are just so pretty."

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Kai Tave posted:

That game looks insanely bad.

An entire paragraph of ad copy devoted to "Why buy our game? Because our dice are just so pretty."

Other than the words "STAR WARS," the dice description will probably be the largest contributor to sales because people love pretty dice. I don't blame them for emphasizing that in the announcement.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

You mean you don't "enjoy this format’s aspects of discovery and trading"?

:barf:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dicemasters seems to be doing well if the insane number of sets they keep pumping out is any indication, so that's not a bad bandwagon to jump on. Don't think I'll be playing it, but that's alright, I have enough Star Wars games.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

The card art is on point, hopefully we get Rey and Kylo in ImpAss eventually

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Well if they feel the need to make a new core box I'm sure they'd be the logical pack in expansion. Kind of hoping for a Rebels themed one first myself though. I'd pay good money to play as Chopper in ImpAss.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Somebody requested Armada-sized Gundam models, and now they're trying to figure out stats. Seems pretty neato!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:eyepop: You could also use the heavily discounted robotech tactics models.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They're a totally different scale. X-Wing scale in fact.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I asked a while back about the differences between Armada vs Battlefleet gothic as i loved the hell out of bfg and want to scratch that itch again so I'm curious...how have the recent expansion stuff for Armada been?

Are they making the original stuff obsolete? Do some ships completely outclass others?
Am i screwing myself if i don't have the newest x ship?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I asked a while back about the differences between Armada vs Battlefleet gothic as i loved the hell out of bfg and want to scratch that itch again so I'm curious...how have the recent expansion stuff for Armada been?

Are they making the original stuff obsolete? Do some ships completely outclass others?
The expansions haven't been too bad so far. From the Imperial perspective (because that's all I play), the VSD was always going to be outranked by the ISD but overall it still has a place in the meta and it is a good little medium sized ship. The Raider was always bad, and the Gladiator is always decent because of the Demolisher upgrade. New stuff that is coming out is the Gozanti, which fills a slot that hasn't really been filled before, and the Interdictor, which again fills a slot that hasn't been filled before (an ECM ship for the Imperials).

The game is more about composition than having the best ships. ISDs are nice but expensive in points and sometimes just having more ships on the table is better. I think there are more issues with the rebels (the Nebulon struggles, for example) but overall all ships have at least some place to fill in a fleet.

The only issues with not buying everything is that you are denying yourself access to cards, but if you play casual this isn't a problem as long as you don't play with dickheads that don't accept proxies. The original stuff isn't obsolete by any means.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Tiny Chalupa posted:

The recent expansions have been good, and even the older expansions have some really useful cards/commanders. The ISD took a lot of the Victory's thunder but Eimi in this very thread put a list together with two VSDs and the new wave 3+4 ships that looks like a ton of fun to fly.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah the ISD is very good, but it's more that the VSD was never that great in the first place. The VSD1 is usable, but the VSD2 is pretty niche, especially with the Interdictor. However I would say that's more problems with balancing Imperial not, not that Imperials are bad by any means, but that the highs are very high (Demolish/Major Rhymer) and the lows are very low (the Raider.) Rebels are in a very good place with every one of their ships as usable, aside from the Nebulon B, but living the Yavaris dream means it always has a place if you want to play with squadrons.

In general none of the waves released so far have stepped on toes, instead they have added new options. But the points limit in Armada, even at 400, is incredibly tight and no fleet can do everything. You either cut back on squadrons, or cool toys, or try and fit a bit of everything and run very slim.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Thanks for the responses, last question i think.......how does Armada stack up against firestorm Armada?

I'm dead set on a space game reminiscent of bfg and as bfg is out of print i need something :/

Firestorm and Armada seem to be the main games that could fill that void so just looking for info

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Thanks for the responses, last question i think.......how does Armada stack up against firestorm Armada?

I'm dead set on a space game reminiscent of bfg and as bfg is out of print i need something :/

Firestorm and Armada seem to be the main games that could fill that void so just looking for info

You might take a look at DropFleet Commander, seeing as one of its developers is Andy Chambers (guy who made BFG).

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Tiny Chalupa posted:

My buddy was really into Firestorm, but switched over to SW Armada. The nice thing about SW is that most of the important info is really easy to see, with shield values, firing arcs and other important stats right on the base of the ship. The maneuvering tool is pretty great as well, it's an easy to understand way to track where the ships can go.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So ImpAss's mini campaign just isn't balanced that well in favor of the rebels is it? After a few months hiatus we finished the last 2 missions in a row and they were just a goddamn nightmare to get through. Between the glorified sniper alley you have to run, the Imp player gets to just clog up the chokepoints with dudes, rendering any advances you do worthless as you just get shot in the back by guys you leave behind. You look at that at the final map and thing "man 8 turns? This is gonna be simple" but then it turns out to not be as the 5 threat a turn means any meaningful progress you make in getting dudes out of your way is pointless since they will just respawn

Granted my group composition wasn't the greatest. Biv did the best in terms of damage but with Gideon,Saska and Jyn they just weren't able to contribute the amount of damage needed to really help out as much as was needed. Saska herself isn't really that great a character? Our Imp player put it best by saying "with basically any other character i know what they do because their abilities get used a lot and they do really annoying poo poo, but with her i just don't remember or even care because she doesn't do much"

I'll admit that kind of falls on me for forgetting to use her abilities,but it also seems like she's just kind underwhelming outside of her ability that lets her use her device tokens as shields. It seems like she'd be better if she were the only support player on the team since you can just focus on letting everybody else do damage, but if you're using her then you're not using Gideon which is a pretty big mistake.

Also i was severely underestimating Technological Superiority. The main weakness of the beginning abilities being kinda poo poo is remedied by the mini-campaign starting you at basically mid game level where the good poo poo starts coming out. Suddenly everything is a goddamn threat because you can just throw red dice around like it was Candy and even in the best of circumstances you're still taking a few points of damage.

With all of that said we're hoping to start the Hoth campaign soon. How is the new girl in that one? Was thinking of running with her,Gideon,Biv/Wookie,Fenn/Mak.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So ImpAss's mini campaign just isn't balanced that well in favor of the rebels is it? After a few months hiatus we finished the last 2 missions in a row and they were just a goddamn nightmare to get through. Between the glorified sniper alley you have to run, the Imp player gets to just clog up the chokepoints with dudes, rendering any advances you do worthless as you just get shot in the back by guys you leave behind. You look at that at the final map and thing "man 8 turns? This is gonna be simple" but then it turns out to not be as the 5 threat a turn means any meaningful progress you make in getting dudes out of your way is pointless since they will just respawn

Granted my group composition wasn't the greatest. Biv did the best in terms of damage but with Gideon,Saska and Jyn they just weren't able to contribute the amount of damage needed to really help out as much as was needed. Saska herself isn't really that great a character? Our Imp player put it best by saying "with basically any other character i know what they do because their abilities get used a lot and they do really annoying poo poo, but with her i just don't remember or even care because she doesn't do much"

I'll admit that kind of falls on me for forgetting to use her abilities,but it also seems like she's just kind underwhelming outside of her ability that lets her use her device tokens as shields. It seems like she'd be better if she were the only support player on the team since you can just focus on letting everybody else do damage, but if you're using her then you're not using Gideon which is a pretty big mistake.

Also i was severely underestimating Technological Superiority. The main weakness of the beginning abilities being kinda poo poo is remedied by the mini-campaign starting you at basically mid game level where the good poo poo starts coming out. Suddenly everything is a goddamn threat because you can just throw red dice around like it was Candy and even in the best of circumstances you're still taking a few points of damage.

With all of that said we're hoping to start the Hoth campaign soon. How is the new girl in that one? Was thinking of running with her,Gideon,Biv/Wookie,Fenn/Mak.

She's pretty neat. Her ability to do an attack with a defeated enemy's weapon make it very dangerous to let her get close to weak imp squads. The two characters from Twin Shadows in general are weaker compared to other characters with that same role.

The group of Rebels I ran the TS campaign with won the majority of the missions in the campaigns but the mission where there are tusken raiders sniping from the other side of the map was nearly impossible for them to do.

Part of the problem is that we had a group that was very similar to yours, with Jyn, Saska, and Loku Kanaloa

Without a character like the Wookie to tank it was a lot more risky for them.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

As another note, any hero can use any kind of weapon right(with the exception of melee weapons if they don't have a melee stat block of course)? Some might use blaster Pistols or Rifles to start with but they aren't stuck with just that one type right? I'm looking through the rules reference book and it mentions that the keywords on the cards are somtimes used for other effects but otherwise they don't really mean anything?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I went digging into the rules for a game last weekend when one of the players insisted on buying a blaster pistol from the loot even though nobody was using a pistol and learned that any character can use any weapon and carry two into battle.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Technically you can buy as much as you want, but only 1 Armor, 2 Weapons and 3 Equipment on one person at a time yeah.

This is the first time i've just been going through the Rules Reference and noticed that and now i'm like :psyduck: I had the Pulse Cannon come up during the shop round last time we played and was a little disappointed that i didn't have "rifle" dude to take it for me.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's a lot of logic that comes from approaching it as a "boxed RPG lite" that seems to result in being utterly wrong about it. I found a massive thread a while back where some dude just couldn't understand the idea of characters not necessarily having a default melee attack, just using their guns point blank instead.

In retrospect the idea of buying the pistol probably would not have been a bad one if and only if the group had given it to Diala Passil or Ghaarkan rather than sticking a second gun on a character that already had a good enough gun to keep trucking with.

DXH
Dec 8, 2003

Ne Cede Malis
I'm thinking of buying Twin Shadows now that I have time to paint and play with my group since everyone is off for the month of August. I heard the campaign is better than the vanilla one, which I hope is true because gently caress the main campaign. I've lost every mission since the second story mission because of loot and xp bloat on the part of the Rebel players (the Jyn player got that card that lets her buy an additional piece of equipment in every buy round) and I'm thinking of banning that card from future campaigns because Jesus gently caress how did they think that card was a good idea.

Anyway, I'm thinking of scrapping our awful main campaign and just blazing through the Twin Shadows campaign in a weekend. Any tips for an Imperial player? I got Boba Fett and IG88 for my birthday and I'd like to play them a bit since cannon-fodder stormtroopers are boring and get chewed up by anyone with a cleave.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

DXH posted:

I'm thinking of buying Twin Shadows now that I have time to paint and play with my group since everyone is off for the month of August. I heard the campaign is better than the vanilla one, which I hope is true because gently caress the main campaign. I've lost every mission since the second story mission because of loot and xp bloat on the part of the Rebel players (the Jyn player got that card that lets her buy an additional piece of equipment in every buy round) and I'm thinking of banning that card from future campaigns because Jesus gently caress how did they think that card was a good idea.

Anyway, I'm thinking of scrapping our awful main campaign and just blazing through the Twin Shadows campaign in a weekend. Any tips for an Imperial player? I got Boba Fett and IG88 for my birthday and I'd like to play them a bit since cannon-fodder stormtroopers are boring and get chewed up by anyone with a cleave.

Pick up a hired guns pack. They are really good at being cheap cannon fodder who can chip away at the heroes. Twin shadows is ok, though there is one mission that could cause the rebels to ragequit. I'd almost suggest you spend a bit more and pick up Return to Hoth instead. The heroes are way more interesting/useful and you get more toys to play with as an Imperial.

Has anyone had the chance to play The Bespin Gambit?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
The Star Wars Destiny dice are comically large. They are very pretty though. I'm trying to ignore the CCG itch in the back of my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I enjoyed the demo. Quick play, fast games, and the collectable part doesn't seem too gross after talking to them. The highest rarity cards (legendary) are like, 1/6?