Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Sure, but even the 750 Ti was $150. At the $100 price point? I'll break out the dremel to make room for a low-profile dual-slot 460. Maybe I'll even fabricate a cover to make it look nice and seamless again afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is integrated Intel graphics similar to that 460 these days?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

No, at least compared to the most common recent processors (Skylake). The GTX 460 is more than twice as powerful as Intel HD 530 integrated graphics. Intel has backed away from their strategy of increasingly powerful integrated graphics, probably realizing how futile it was.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Phlegmish posted:

No, at least compared to the most common recent processors (Skylake). The GTX 460 is more than twice as powerful as Intel HD 530 integrated graphics. Intel has backed away from their strategy of increasingly powerful integrated graphics, probably realizing how futile it was.

Yea, my old 5770 is still at least twice as fast as the HD4600 in my i5 4570. The 460 will be several times faster.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It highly depends on the game. In some games it's same-same, in most games it'll be about twice as fast, in some it'll be several times as fast :v:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Well I was talking about really simple stuff like Dota and CS.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Phlegmish posted:

Intel has backed away from their strategy of increasingly powerful integrated graphics, probably realizing how futile it was.
Oh good, maybe they'll even release some i7s with the integrated graphics replaced by a big old cache. :pray:

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Oh good, maybe they'll even release some i7s with the integrated graphics replaced by a big old cache. :pray:

Those are called "xeon".

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
GT3e was still on that roadmap.

I was curious if the 64MB (HD 540/550) made much of a difference in any CPU tests, but don't remember if any sites tried anything to specifically test the effectiveness of it as a cache. I know Broadwell had it too, but Skylake's is a bit different, I think more akin to an actual cache vs victim cache or something.

NihilismNow posted:

Those are called "xeon".
There's an i7 and a few E3 Xeons with HD 580!

(...they're all soldered chips though)

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Tokamak posted:

The 470 is a binned Polaris 10/480 chip with about 15% of the shader cores disabled and around 20% lower clock.

The boost clock OTOH is only like 5% difference. Unless power or thermal limits are a factor, that part should be a minimal difference.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Skuto posted:

The boost clock OTOH is only like 5% difference. Unless power or thermal limits are a factor, that part should be a minimal difference.

It probably would be a factor though, given the TDP, unless they received better chips for the 470s

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

NihilismNow posted:

Those are called "xeon".
The L3 caches on 4 core/8 thread xeons are barely larger than i7s, not to mention having anything like the 5775C's fat 128MB L4 cache.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
390/390x owners: What have you found to be a stable undervolt? I've heard from reviews that -48 mV is a number that almost every card can run stable at.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Apparently you can just ask Amazon for 20% back of your 970 purchase: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4v5dqd/if_you_bought_a_gtx_970_from_amazon_you_are/

I just did it, seems to work. Gift card on its way in 1-2 days.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Wow

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
For what? Bone reference stock clocks? Factory overclocks?

I can max out my MSI 390 at -100mv for the reference 1GHz or

-25mv for 1100 core or

+0mv for 1125

Haven't really tried out any other combinations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

In other PhysX Talk, Everspace looks like a good Freespaceish VR Space game making use of UE4 + Physx and is really tempting me to pick up.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Seamonster posted:

For what? Bone reference stock clocks? Factory overclocks?

I can max out my MSI 390 at -100mv for the reference 1GHz or

-25mv for 1100 core or

+0mv for 1125

Haven't really tried out any other combinations.

For factory overclocks. I have a 390x .

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

fletcher posted:

Apparently you can just ask Amazon for 20% back of your 970 purchase: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4v5dqd/if_you_bought_a_gtx_970_from_amazon_you_are/

I bought from Newegg to avoid sales tax. :(

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Josh Lyman posted:

I bought from Newegg to avoid sales tax. :(

The thread says newegg is doing 10% if the card is still under warranty, fwiw.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It's pretty hit or miss. I got denied by Amazon after getting the runaround for a while. My order was from Oct 2014, so maybe it's just too old?

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

fletcher posted:

Wow this is just so much more salt in the (self-inflicted) wound of having bought a 960. At this point I'm afraid my 960 actually will kill my dog.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Twerk from Home posted:

Except the PS3, I guess? I can also think of a bunch of 360 / PS3 games where the PS3 port just ran like rear end and looked worse, like Red Dead Redemption.

http://www.1up.com/news/gabe-newell-ps3-total-disaster

http://kotaku.com/5337257/valve-not-even-bothering-with-the-ps3-any-more

Not long after that though they did Portal 2 and CS:GO for PS3. I think those are the only 2 console releases with Steam built in, which is also weird and buggy.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Enos Cabell posted:

It's pretty hit or miss. I got denied by Amazon after getting the runaround for a while. My order was from Oct 2014, so maybe it's just too old?

Mine was February 2015. Maybe just try again and play the rep roulette?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Does anyone know when's the release date for the MSI GTX 1060 6GT OC?

I've been waiting for a week now and every site I've checked says it's still in pre-order.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Contacted Amazon about my 970, they are really giving the run-around.

BUT after posting a screenshot of someone else getting 20% off, and asking to be escalated, the rep said that they will be giving automatic 20% credits to all eligible owners, and that my request was escalated to the leadership team and they would be contacting me.

So if this rep is right, then there is no further need to ask for refunds... if you want to trust them. It sounds like a ton of people are contacting support to the point that they are working on a full resolution for all affected people.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I'm about to buy a used 970 from a friend to replace my 560 Ti, is this refund / recall thing something I should be concern about at all?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Toebone posted:

I'm about to buy a used 970 from a friend to replace my 560 Ti, is this refund / recall thing something I should be concern about at all?

Your friend can claim the $30 and you will have 3.5gb vram, otherwise no

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Toebone posted:

No. It was an ethics issue, it didnt change benchmarks

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
I can't believe they're giving 20%. I love Amazon. Just wish I had bought my card there now but I think I'm just going to basically try and buy everything in my life there from now on because any time I have an issue with something bought elsewhere it's a pain in the rear end tooth-pulling experience to get any help, whereas if it's from Amazon it's a relatively painless, couple minutes spent on their customer service support chat or phone line.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Bleh Maestro posted:

I can't believe they're giving 20%. I love Amazon. Just wish I had bought my card there now but I think I'm just going to basically try and buy everything in my life there from now on because any time I have an issue with something bought elsewhere it's a pain in the rear end tooth-pulling experience to get any help, whereas if it's from Amazon it's a relatively painless, couple minutes spent on their customer service support chat or phone line.

*laughs evilly* thats what they want

I even get my groceries delivered to me via amazon delivery driver now ...

I dont even own a car anymore because of amazon

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Brawndo - It's what plants crave!

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
I want that

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
And don't forget to put in smile.amazon.com instead to have Amazon donate to a charity (I think you pick who from a list?) when you buy stuff. Half giving myself a reminder cause I forget all the drat time.

Uhh for something on topic I noticed leaving a Chrome tab open with a paused youtube video my 1080 clocks will sit at 1600 and temp at ~48C and closing Chrome will drop the clocks to 139 and temp to ~32C. Neat

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 29, 2016

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I ordered a 980 Ti that I did not want anymore. I shipped it to an Amazon locker inside a 7-11. All I had to do was wait for the item to be returned to sender by just not picking it up. The lockers own Ive ordered toilet bowl cleaners and rave glaases before as well.

But gently caress I hate how I end up buying a bunch of other poo poo at 7-11 when picking up from Amazon locker.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I spend absurd amounts of money at Amazon, but when the inevitable government coup comes and Amazon rules the USA/World I am going to be very cross about my past patronage.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Green Gloves posted:

I shipped it to an Amazon locker inside a 7-11. All I had to do was wait for the item to be returned to sender by just not picking it up.

Thanks for trying up the locker so nobody else can use it

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Aquila posted:

Wow this is just so much more salt in the (self-inflicted) wound of having bought a 960. At this point I'm afraid my 960 actually will kill my dog.
You can exchange it for a 380x.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Junior Jr. posted:

Does anyone know when's the release date for the MSI GTX 1060 6GT OC?

I've been waiting for a week now and every site I've checked says it's still in pre-order.

It was on sale (not preorder) on Newegg a couple of days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

fletcher posted:

Thanks for trying up the locker so nobody else can use it

Yeah it was a one time thing. I should have returned it earlier.