Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So here's a wacky theory:

During Fishman Island, Pekoms showed up and found out the candy factory was destroyed. Somehow, Big Mom was informed, and she called him via snail. This led to Luffy answering the phone and antagonizing her. But how was she originally informed, and so quickly, if not by snail?

In the current arc, Pekoms abruptly left the ship and left a cryptic message behind. Why?

Also in the current arc, we just found out Big Mom had detailed info on what was going on in Luffy's ship, but does not know where Brooke is now.

These three things combined makes me wonder if she has some trick up her sleeve, like she's bugged all her subordinates or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I hope everyone is prepared for Big Mom's eventual reformation and bonding with Luffy over their mutual love of food.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Please do not watch the One Piece anime.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Bobulus posted:

So here's a wacky theory:

During Fishman Island, Pekoms showed up and found out the candy factory was destroyed. Somehow, Big Mom was informed, and she called him via snail. This led to Luffy answering the phone and antagonizing her. But how was she originally informed, and so quickly, if not by snail?

In the current arc, Pekoms abruptly left the ship and left a cryptic message behind. Why?

Also in the current arc, we just found out Big Mom had detailed info on what was going on in Luffy's ship, but does not know where Brooke is now.

These three things combined makes me wonder if she has some trick up her sleeve, like she's bugged all her subordinates or something.

Pekoms called some other guy, the bobble-head sword guy I think, and he told Big Mom, who then called Pekoms directly.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's going to be real interesting to see what Caesar's role in all of this will be. He's hopelessly in over his head, without a friend in the world. Maybe this is where we see the tiniest beginnings of a redemption arc? He doesn't seem to have many other places to go.

I definitely think that Linlin wins the 'weirdest dream since Enel' award. I have no idea how Luffy's going to respond when she busts that out.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Caesar for last Straw Hat.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Maybe this is where we see the tiniest beginnings of a redemption arc? He doesn't seem to have many other places to go.
Dude killed countless innocents and imprisoned, kidnapped and experimented on kids. Don't wanna see any mercy for him.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Darth Walrus posted:

I definitely think that Linlin wins the 'weirdest dream since Enel' award. I have no idea how Luffy's going to respond when she busts that out.

He'll inflate himself to her size and have a tea party.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Caesar does not deserve a redemption.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Darth Walrus posted:

Maybe this is where we see the tiniest beginnings of a redemption arc? He doesn't seem to have many other places to go.

He's gonna go worse, feeding the incomplete version of the stuff he's made before to people and having them all get sick from it.

Which maybe Chopper is gonna help remedy to save Big Mom's family.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Remember that time Caesar got a bunch of children hooked on drugs and then tried to kill them with poison gas?

Honestly I'd buy a redemption arc for Doflamingo easier than for Caesar.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Crazyeyes posted:

I hope everyone is prepared for Big Mom's eventual reformation and bonding with Luffy over their mutual love of food.

Big Mom's gonna have a craving for Bubblegum so she's gonna chew on Luffy and stick him to the underside of her throne.

Fuckshoes
Jul 11, 2001

sup ladies

Grouchio posted:

Somehow, after 8 years of dedicated fandom towards One Piece....I think it's just not fun anymore. It feels like it's become a parody of itself, ESPECIALLY with regards to the Anime. Especially in comparison to...say...My Hero Academia.

You're probably just experiencing a burnout, so a break might be in order. Come back to the series once the crew gets to Wano.

Also, there's no way Pekoms just got offed by a chump like Capone like that. How will he join the crew otherwise?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Nah the Lola-lookalike who appeared previously is the Lola-lookalike who appeared this chapter, I believe. Same hairstyle, same ribbon, and in the Korean translation Goti calls her mistress, as in the boss's wife.

I only just now realized that Capone's baby also has a little cigar. :allears:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

One Piece is about as fun now as it's ever been

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I only just now realized that Capone's baby also has a little cigar. :allears:

It's actually a very small bottle, he's just holding it in his mouth like a cigar.

He's imitating his dad :3:

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Ceasar's never going to be their friend but he's going to team up with them to get away from big mom.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Caesar is entering his redemption phase, he's never going to be a hero but he'll likely screw over Big Mom is some really important way, probably accidentally helping the SHs while trying to help himself, and maybe escape to have some epilogue panel somewhere along the line. I dunno why people think sociopathic science pursuits are so completely beyond redemption, Crocodile murdered a ton of people, tried to nuke an entire capital city, caused endless suffering for Luffy's nakama, and he's everybody's favorite antihero right now. Hell, even in Impel Down before he went full Luffy Bodyguard at Marineford, everybody was sucking his dick in this thread. I don't remember anybody saying, "Well hey now guys, Croc's a bad guy!".

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

That's because Crocodile is cool and Caesar is lame.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
The thing about Croc that kills me is that he was doing all of that to get access to Pluton to take revenge on Whitebeard, like poo poo, what did he do to you

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

dazoner posted:

The thing about Croc that kills me is that he was doing all of that to get access to Pluton to take revenge on Whitebeard, like poo poo, what did he do to you

Got Moria'd.
probably.

But since it's Whitebeard instead of Kaido it probably didnt involve his entire crew killed and getting seriously hosed up in the process.

Begemot posted:

And yeah, this.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 29, 2016

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Begemot posted:

To add to this: Crocodile is a James Bond villain with a sense of style, a cool power, and a good attitude, with ambitions, good looks, and a cool organization. Caesar is a selfish, sniveling coward with a dumb grab-bag power that can kinda do whatever, he killed all of his own men while trying to stop Luffy, and he was in the same arc as Virgo and Monet who were both 20 times cooler than him and didn't make it out alive.

Crocodile was willing to sacrifice some of his weakest men to succeed but generally, his best guys were all people he respected, who earned their positions, and worked well together. Caesar's guys were people assigned to protect him and his research and he got all of them killed for basically no reason except he could. They're both out and out villains, but Croc is stylish and entertaining, while Caesar is the kind of guy you just want to watch get punched in the face over and over.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

gnome7 posted:

To add to this: Crocodile is a James Bond villain with a sense of style, a cool power, and a good attitude, with ambitions, good looks, and a cool organization. Caesar is a selfish, sniveling coward with a dumb grab-bag power that can kinda do whatever, he killed all of his own men while trying to stop Luffy, and he was in the same arc as Virgo and Monet who were both 20 times cooler than him and didn't make it out alive.

Crocodile was willing to sacrifice some of his weakest men to succeed but generally, his best guys were all people he respected, who earned their positions, and worked well together. Caesar's guys were people assigned to protect him and his research and he got all of them killed for basically no reason except he could. They're both out and out villains, but Croc is stylish and entertaining, while Caesar is the kind of guy you just want to watch get punched in the face over and over.

Counterpoint, he fed Mr. 3 to a Bananawani, and if a top number failed someone was sent to kill them

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

gnome7 posted:

Crocodile was willing to sacrifice some of his weakest men to succeed but generally, his best guys were all people he respected, who earned their positions, and worked well together.

Eh. He tried to kill Mr. 3 just to punish him for a minor failure (as far as he knew at that point). He probably wouldn't have thrown away Robin or Mr. 2 like that because their abilities were irreplaceable, and you can infer some degree of respect for Mr. 1 on the basis of their interactions in Impel Down, but that's it.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

gnome7 posted:

no, crocodile has trusted no one that was the entire point of baroque works, He gives a speech about it at one point.

Caesar has a way better style and aesthetic than Crocodile too, but I agree his personality is obnoxious, the whole simpering shrieking beta villain or whatever.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Respect =/= Trust. Croc trusted no one, but Mr 1, Nico Robin, and Mr 2 were all people he respected and was not going to throw away under any circumstances. Mr 3 on downward were basically trash to him, though, and even the people he respects are people he is willing to destroy the moment they turn on him, like when Robin lied to him about the poneglyph.

He's still a mustache twirling super villain, there's no bones about it. But he's cool and I'd like to see him do more things, because when Crocodile takes the stage, cool stuff follows.

Caesar is mostly a good villain because he's so hate-able. He's just the worst in every way, there's nothing redeeming about him except maaaaybe his genius intellect, which isn't even that genius in a world where Franky and Vegapunk exist. It was very satisfying seeing him get punched in the face, toyed around with during the first half of the Dressrosa arc, and now squirming under Big Mom's thumb. It would not be very satisfying for Oda to try to redeem him, now or ever, because holy poo poo he killed all his own guys, performed crazy unethical experiments on small children, and would sell out everyone around him at the drop of a hat if he could get away with it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

gnome7 posted:

Respect =/= Trust. Croc trusted no one, but Mr 1, Nico Robin, and Mr 2 were all people he respected and was not going to throw away under any circumstances. Mr 3 on downward were basically trash to him, though, and even the people he respects are people he is willing to destroy the moment they turn on him, like when Robin lied to him about the poneglyph.

He's still a mustache twirling super villain, there's no bones about it. But he's cool and I'd like to see him do more things, because when Crocodile takes the stage, cool stuff follows.

Caesar is mostly a good villain because he's so hate-able. He's just the worst in every way, there's nothing redeeming about him except maaaaybe his genius intellect, which isn't even that genius in a world where Franky and Vegapunk exist. It was very satisfying seeing him get punched in the face, toyed around with during the first half of the Dressrosa arc, and now squirming under Big Mom's thumb. It would not be very satisfying for Oda to try to redeem him, now or ever, because holy poo poo he killed all his own guys, performed crazy unethical experiments on small children, and would sell out everyone around him at the drop of a hat if he could get away with it.

On the other hand, Helmeppo, Jango, most of Baroque Works, Enel, Rob Lucci, Boa Hancock, and Caribou all got "redeemed." Though Hancock has a sob story, Helmeppo has at least one moral line he wouldn't cross, and Jango and Enel are probably not entirely sane. But do Lucci and Caribou have any positive qualities before their cover stories?

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 29, 2016

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Only Helmeppo, Jango and Boa got redeemed of that group. The rest are the same as ever and would still be antagonists if they showed up again.

Especially Caribou, god he's the worst. I actually hate him more now because his cover arc took so drat long.

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012
I can appreciate that Caesar spent all of his research money on sea-hookers and blow.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Drink Top posted:

I can appreciate that Caesar spent all of his research money on sea-hookers and blow.

That was hilarious, the secret party boat

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Drink Top posted:

Tried, failed, went gently caress it she's gonna kill me either way, hookers and blow it is.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Yeah gently caress the haters, Caesar is so genius he realized Big Mom's request was retarded and probably impossible so he blew her money in style. If Dofy hadn't gotten Vulcanized he would have kept living the high life. It was a solid plan. Taking advantage of those less intelligent than you.

I don't understand how he's held to a higher standard than comically evil Croc because of Croc's fur coat. Croc waa, as stated, going to just ice Mr. 3 for the heinous crime of being weak and useless, meanwhile Caesar was legitimately researching giganticism and gently caress, the kids were having a pretty good time. You also can't expect him to care about his subordinates that presumably he didn't pick himself, they were assigned to him and we're beneath his intellect, he felt. And lol if you wanted him to treat Brownbeard and Co. with honor and respect.

Caesar Clown did nothing wrong.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Basically, Caesar's entire arc seems to involve him being utterly humbled and broken down as a person. In One Piece, that usually leads to good things. Remember Bellamy? Or Wapol? Sure, the latter dresses up as a supervillain now, but he's a supervillain who's part of a weird little family unit who all seem to genuinely like each other. Also, a children's toy tycoon.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

caeser's arc involves him being a dick repeatedly with no end in sight

he'll probably end up in jail or something

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Caesar Clown is going to be the Pirate King after he finds One Piece in 'That' place.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ceasar is also one of those weird characters were Ceesar does appear to be his given name. Rather then the other way around. (Same with Hody.)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Caesar will double-cross Big Mom but later on Bege will capture him in sea-stone chains. Then he'll be all "Big Mom says Hello" before cutting his throat with a jagged sea-stone knife and he'll just bleed out in the gutter. That's the Capone way!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Elfgames posted:

jinbe didn't get freaked out so he was tossed in a dungeon and propaganda was put in the newspaper.

Yeah, everyone else apparently dies/disappears after leaving Big Mom's service. Most likely Jinbe took his licks like a stoic hard rear end and left, Big Mom then spread the word that he cried like a baby to undermine him in the future.

Advice posted:

I don't understand how he's held to a higher standard than comically evil Croc because of Croc's fur coat. Croc waa, as stated, going to just ice Mr. 3 for the heinous crime of being weak and useless, meanwhile Caesar was legitimately researching giganticism and gently caress, the kids were having a pretty good time. You also can't expect him to care about his subordinates that presumably he didn't pick himself, they were assigned to him and we're beneath his intellect, he felt. And lol if you wanted him to treat Brownbeard and Co. with honor and respect.

Mr. 3 was a punk bitch when Croc tried to kill him. The top 4 Officer Agents were the only ones with the personality to make killing them off be a bad thing at the time. Mr. 3 also was being killed for not only failing, but apparently mouthing off in the process.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Note that baroque works cared about each other enough to find/rescue each other, including Croc even after everything was said and done.

And Crocodile just kind of waved them off saying he was done, don't worry about him.

Ceasar wouldn't do anything cool like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bobulus posted:

I thought the implication of this chapter was that Ceasar was giving her info every chance he got in an effort to remain in her good books, and that she knew about their current location and plans at the very least thanks to him.