Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Spoon
Oct 26, 2007

Not actually silverware.
Also replace the EPP pack with the Xenon pack and make EPP upgrades permanent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
E: misunderstood. :downs:

What's the best replacement for a torch? Something hopefully easy to make in large quantities and, ideally, brighter and less... flickery.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

Captain Spoon posted:

Is there an item/mod to heat/cool areas on cold/hot planets? I want to make a base on one without worrying about which backpack I'm wearing or my newbie multiplayer friends dying when they beam to me.

No mod for that out yet but I'm sure you could script an item that gives the EPP buff to every player in the room or something.

DaveKap posted:

I don't know why they unlock the ability to craft an upgraded non-EPP backpack light after you've reached the point where EPPs are necessary to continue playing.

The Xenon pack was introduced back when the EPP didn't take any slots and was equipped from the tech station. Basically if a design decision makes no sense assume its either because a) Tiy hates fun or b) the decision made sense originally but the game's complete lack of direction meant some contradictory concept was introduced and they never adjusted it.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Zamujasa posted:

E: misunderstood. :downs:

What's the best replacement for a torch? Something hopefully easy to make in large quantities and, ideally, brighter and less... flickery.

Does such a thing exist without a mod? I still just make 1000 at a time and chuck them everywhere.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the xenon pack actually does provide a fuckton of light to the point where you don't need anything else light-wise but lmao at not using the backpack item that actually lets you exist on 3/4ths of the game's planets

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Johnny Joestar posted:

the xenon pack actually does provide a fuckton of light to the point where you don't need anything else light-wise but lmao at not using the backpack item that actually lets you exist on 3/4ths of the game's planets

Would the xenon pack work if you put it in the Cosmetic back slot, while wearing the EPP in the for realsies one?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Johnny Joestar posted:

the xenon pack actually does provide a fuckton of light to the point where you don't need anything else light-wise but lmao at not using the backpack item that actually lets you exist on 3/4ths of the game's the worthwhile planets.

This. You don't even want to build a colony in the starter worlds because colony deeds incentivize building in as dangerous a territory as possible.

^^ LOL No. What do you think this is, Terraria?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

deadly_pudding posted:

Would the xenon pack work if you put it in the Cosmetic back slot, while wearing the EPP in the for realsies one?

nah

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Johnny Joestar posted:

no it makes perfect sense that such a thing has to be fixed with mods

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the cosmetic slots are strictly just that, cosmetic. i understand why they function that way, but it really highlights how goddamn stupid the back item system is because there's backpacks that provide various functions but there's genuinely like no chance to wear any of them because literally around 75% of the planets in the game will be hardgated by wearing a specific EPP.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Why don't crops you plant provide new seeds so you can expand your farms? Agh. Why is this game terrible at every little thing?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Sage Grimm posted:

This. You don't even want to build a colony in the starter worlds because colony deeds incentivize building in as dangerous a territory as possible.

Why is that? I literally plopped down my only colony so far on the starter world and I'd like to know if/why this was a terrible mistake. :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The rent money you get from colonists is scaled to the difficulty of the planet. And with them seemingly nerfing various methods of easy money for little effort, getting an average of 407.5 versus 157.5 per colonist at a 25/30% chance seems like a fairly big deal. Not to mention the healing items you can get instead of pixels (and maybe the quality of the other possible items but no confirmation on that) scale as well.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
have the people that think survival in this game is hard or frustrating tried the equivalent mode in terraria? you keep literally all of your poo poo, planets are 3 feet wide and zero mobs in this game are scary

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

you can still warp home instantly in terraria from anywhere you want at the first sign of things getting bad
there's a dozen ways to prevent insta-death from falling in Terraria
terraria has a map that you can use to get back to your dropped loot
you cant die of stravation during an unskippable cutscene in terraria
and i may be remembering wrong but im pretty sure you didnt lose items in your hotbar when you died in Terraria , just inventory

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

no one cares that you think you're the king of bad video games

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
I think this game is good. Though the endgame is kinda boring, every planet is fire or lava or rust. I also think they removed a lot of the old legendary weapons, I've basically found ONE legendary sword repeatedly (some rainbow colored thing that creates holes) and it's not as good as the thing the Broken Broadsword turns into.

The tentacle biome also seems to have been removed and only used for The Ruin now.

Verviticus posted:

have the people that think survival in this game is hard or frustrating tried the equivalent mode in terraria? you keep literally all of your poo poo, planets are 3 feet wide and zero mobs in this game are scary

Yeah but then you die underground and have no idea where your corpse is.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
ya those are good points. i just remember being infinitely more annoyed when i died in terraria, but the times ive died in this it was like a thirty second ordeal to get there (and an incredibly annoying journey back to the surface)

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

no one cares that you think you're the king of bad video games

hmmm

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The complaint is more that Survival mode is the default one in Starbound, while softcore is the default in Terraria. No one would object if Survival was something you took on knowing how hard it would be. Other than maybe wanting to have hunger in Casual, which you can mod in.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Met posted:

Why don't crops you plant provide new seeds so you can expand your farms? Agh. Why is this game terrible at every little thing?

there's a mod for that

well technically it lets you craft the harvest into more seed but the outcome is the same

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

All of the backpacks should have been upgrade modules, for one backpack with several module slots. Get both the environmental survival bits and your utility bits while still having to make some choices. Want to go diving in the frigid oceans? You'll need both cold and air modules, so you might not get to have that bonus energy this time.

If I were any good at modding I'd mod it in. It'd be an improvement on what's there now.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
Well, first impressions after an hour and a half or so...

The game seems alright. Just fixed my ship so I don't know how far into it I was, I had to rack out for the night so I didn't really see much past that. My character feels very fragile but I haven't made/bought any new armor yet. Found a bunch of things that can upgrade my mining tool but haven't used em.

I think the next few hours will dictate if I really enjoy this game or not. It seems better than it was when it first was playable (although that's a low bar) but it definitely isn't on Terraria's level yet.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Tenebrais posted:

All of the backpacks should have been upgrade modules, for one backpack with several module slots. Get both the environmental survival bits and your utility bits while still having to make some choices. Want to go diving in the frigid oceans? You'll need both cold and air modules, so you might not get to have that bonus energy this time.

I'd just make the pack have 4 slots for each environmental upgrade (not necessarily in any order) and then add two or three more generic upgrades for modules you can find, like the light/HP/etc upgrades. And make those removable without breaking, jeez.

Melee weapons feel completely useless once you get off the starting world and start finding (decent) guns and crap in chests. Touch damage means that range is way more important because even if you deal lethal damage to an enemy it still seems to bounce around for a few moments before popping (and still damages you in the mean time)

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

I'd just make the pack have 4 slots for each environmental upgrade (not necessarily in any order) and then add two or three more generic upgrades for modules you can find, like the light/HP/etc upgrades. And make those removable without breaking, jeez.

Melee weapons feel completely useless once you get off the starting world and start finding (decent) guns and crap in chests. Touch damage means that range is way more important because even if you deal lethal damage to an enemy it still seems to bounce around for a few moments before popping (and still damages you in the mean time)

Really? Because I thought guns felt pretty useless. Like yeah, I can kill one enemy by kiting them and then you run out of energy, but melee weapons hit everything at once if they're close to each other.

I killed every boss with melee and I'm fairly sure the Protector's Broadsword or whatever might be the best weapon in the game.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Zamujasa posted:

Opposite to what people are saying in here, shields are actually really good, especially to avoid touch damage. I found this legendary broadsword that's 1 handed, so you can use it with a shield and melee works well with it. But at the same time, grenade launchers are waaay better and wands are basically broken for how overpowered they are. Melee is also virtually useless in ALL bosses, which always hover around away from your reach.

They failed to make melee weapons good, and tried to make ranged combat bad instead of simply buffing the attack damage on melee weapons to the point where the risk/reward was enticing. Thankfully they gave up on the slow walking.

Thoughtless posted:

Really? Because I thought guns felt pretty useless. Like yeah, I can kill one enemy by kiting them and then you run out of energy, but melee weapons hit everything at once if they're close to each other.

I killed every boss with melee and I'm fairly sure the Protector's Broadsword or whatever might be the best weapon in the game.

Wow, gotta say you had some really bad luck on drops there. For ranged pistols and rifles are useless. Rocket and Grenade launchers and some sniper rifles are really good. Shotguns too with some of the specials. And wands are broken as gently caress

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think any weapon categories are useless because they all have their times when they're good

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
2 Handed guns in general are pretty alright because they have the right-click altfire that's usually pretty deadly, like a missile barrage or some kinda status bomb.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Thoughtless posted:

Guns have splash too

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't think any weapon categories are useless because they all have their times when they're good

ok, defend machine pistols now

the main issue with most 2 handed ranged weapons is that their main fire was really bad compared to alt-fire. It happens on all assault rifles, completely useless main fire. Might as well use a grenade launcher + shield.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 29, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

nerdz posted:

when i say 'weapon categories' i mean 'guns, melee, and weird magic things'. none of them are universally bad like some say

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Joestar posted:

when i say 'weapon categories' i mean 'guns, melee, and weird magic things'. none of them are universally bad like some say

Oh yeah, some of the subtypes really could do with some buffs though. Hammers are sorta good when they can one shot mobs but their damage doesn't keep up as the planet difficulty increases. Daggers are crazy bad, not enough range or knockback.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

nerdz posted:

the main issue with most 2 handed ranged weapons is that their main fire was really bad compared to alt-fire. It happens on all assault rifles, completely useless main fire. Might as well use a grenade launcher + shield.

You can combo Primary fires into Alt-Fires with guns for burst damage, but it mostly seems unintentional because it absolutely doesn't work the other way around.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's definite bad examples for all the weapon categories and it's like 50% random stat distribution being poo poo at certain points in the game and 50% the actual type probably needing a buff of some sort

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Met posted:

Jerik's excellent Faster Farming mod fixes that.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Still messing with Frackin Universe. Metallic moons are quickly becoming one of my favorite places-- they have a ton of ores, and are not too hard if you can evade or kill the robots there (which also drop various electronic parts)

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Protip: get an engineer and a mechanic on your ship as soon as you can. One improves fuel efficiency, the other fuel tank size. So, at this point, I can travel to another corner of the universe for around 150 fuel (and it keeps going down) and my tank fits 2500.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Verviticus posted:

That's also why I don't play that mode on terraria either. Also terraria is pretty well balanced for keeping all your items, starbound really isn't, I have more durasteel than I'll ever need by virtue of doing one spelunking trip, asteroids trivialize gold/silver, and tungsten/titanium is pretty easy to basically skip through, you only need enough to upgrade the workbenches.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Seriously there's almost no actual game here, I skipped through about three tiers of equipment without doing anything other than wandering through a few caves looking for more mini dungeons to strip furniture off of.

The entire frozen star set of planets are just reskinned versions of earlier planets with nothing new on them, and nothing's actually changing.

Aside from the pixel printer making building stuff faster there's nothing to do in this dumb game. If they put the matter manipulator controls and lighting engine in terraria I'd never bother with starbound. The art remains the only saving grace in this game because as an actual game it's useless.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Seriously there's almost no actual game here, I skipped through about three tiers of equipment without doing anything other than wandering through a few caves looking for more mini dungeons to strip furniture off of.

The entire frozen star set of planets are just reskinned versions of earlier planets with nothing new on them, and nothing's actually changing.

Aside from the pixel printer making building stuff faster there's nothing to do in this dumb game. If they put the matter manipulator controls and lighting engine in terraria I'd never bother with starbound. The art remains the only saving grace in this game because as an actual game it's useless.

After sort of follow the the development of this, cant say it amazes me.

Shame this game had so much potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

OwlFancier posted:

It's because that's the point, you're supposed to be able to progress in the game no matter what your "play style" is and that was the goal from the start. You can farm -> money -> buy upgrades/buy mats to craft upgrades -> beat game || colonize -> slumlord money/gain merchants -> buy upgrades/buy mats to craft upgrades -> beat game || spelunk/discover towns -> loot mini-dungeons/steal everything in town -> beat game || spelunk -> mine mats -> craft upgrades/convert mats to money to buy upgrades -> beat game || do quests -> money -> whatever -> beat game. I'm probably missing a few and there's plenty of mixing and matching along the path.

The reason you thought there was nothing to do was because you picked what is probably the most imbalanced path (because it's also the most risk/reward/RNG path, you just happened to luck out) to beating the game. Maybe start a new character and just try a different path because there's plenty to do, you're just not doing it because it's a choice, not mandatory.