Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Lol so of course I finally upgraded to 10 right before the news about removed policies came out. Guess who's never installing AU now!

I believe if you stay on an old build you only get updates for 5-10 months depending on branch. At least Windows 7 has a few years left. Though I personally believe the importance of updates in a home environment with otherwise good security practice is overblown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos
Hey guys -- I could use a hand with this situation. I upgraded a windows 7 think pad I got from school to windows 10. After the upgrade finished it kicks me to the login screen and I have two accounts Administrator and now Manager. When I type my old windows 7 password into administrator it says that the administrator account has been disabled and it wants a password for the manager account it just created during the windows 10 install. I never created a password for the Manager account.

I can't even get into safe mode. When I try to boot in safe mode it says the administrator account's name and password are incorrect and it leaves me at the login screen asking for the manager account password. I also can't do an image restore or reinstall because windows wants the manager account password.

Where the hell do I start? Do I need to find a copy of windows 10, format the drive, and start fresh? I'd hate to lose everything on that drive. I know I could fix this if I could get to a command prompt but it won't let me.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Take it to school IT?

buffbus posted:

I believe if you stay on an old build you only get updates for 5-10 months depending on branch. At least Windows 7 has a few years left. Though I personally believe the importance of updates in a home environment with otherwise good security practice is overblown.

Define 'otherwise good security practice'.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 29, 2016

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Take it to school IT?

I graduated a few years ago. I paid the 400$ to keep the 430s Thinkpad. I'm on my own for this, unfortunately.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Oh. If you have physical access to the drive, an external enclosure (or can wait long enough to order one) and access to another computer, and the drive hasn't been Bitlockered, you can pull your files off that way. In the future, though, backups.

After that, I don't know. Your computer thinks it still belongs to the university. Still, you're an alum; it can't hurt to call and try.

Failing even that, it has a Windows 7 license and now (if it spent any time on the Internet) a Windows 10 license for an unknown edition, defined by whichever edition 7 was. Figuring that out will be the :airquote:fun:airquote: part.

v v v I was going to save the drill sergeant impersonation for after the crisis was resolved, but yeah, using system-included accounts for ... really anything on a home system is a profoundly bad idea (and none too hot anywhere else) for exactly this reason.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 29, 2016

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mourne posted:

Hey guys -- I could use a hand with this situation. I upgraded a windows 7 think pad I got from school to windows 10. After the upgrade finished it kicks me to the login screen and I have two accounts Administrator and now Manager. When I type my old windows 7 password into administrator it says that the administrator account has been disabled and it wants a password for the manager account it just created during the windows 10 install. I never created a password for the Manager account.

I can't even get into safe mode. When I try to boot in safe mode it says the administrator account's name and password are incorrect and it leaves me at the login screen asking for the manager account password. I also can't do an image restore or reinstall because windows wants the manager account password.

Where the hell do I start? Do I need to find a copy of windows 10, format the drive, and start fresh? I'd hate to lose everything on that drive. I know I could fix this if I could get to a command prompt but it won't let me.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Your files are still there and if all else fails can be extracted by getting a bootable linux USB/CD and copying them off. This is your warning that anything you don't make backups of = you don't really care about.

1. Use a different PC to download the Windows 10 media tool to make a bootable USB stick with the installer & recovery stuff.
2. Using that you can try a couple options, I'd start with this as the simplest method which should re-enable the local administrator account, but falling back to either this more complicated one or just using the win10 "reset PC" option from the recovery media (be sure to keep files).

What user account did you use on 7? If it was the default "Administrator" one, you need to stop doing that. edit: oh or it thinks it's on a domain, that should be fixable too as soon as you get admin.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 29, 2016

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Oh. If you have physical access to the drive, an external enclosure (or can wait long enough to order one) and access to another computer, and the drive hasn't been Bitlockered, you can pull your files off that way. In the future, though, backups.

I do actually. I could pull the drive outta the laptop, toss it in the tower, make it a tertiary drive and then pull files off that way. Thanks, I didn't think of that.

Failing even that, it has a Windows 7 license and now (if it spent any time on the Internet) a Windows 10 license for an unknown edition. Figuring that out will be the :airquote:fun:airquote: part.

Lovely!

Klyith posted:

Your files are still there and if all else fails can be extracted by getting a bootable linux USB/CD and copying them off. This is your warning that anything you don't make backups of = you don't really care about.

1. Use a different PC to download the Windows 10 media tool to make a bootable USB stick with the installer & recovery stuff.
2. Using that you can try a couple options, I'd start with this as the simplest method which should re-enable the local administrator account, but falling back to either this more complicated one or just using the win10 "reset PC" option from the recovery media (be sure to keep files).

What user account did you use on 7? If it was the default "Administrator" one, you need to stop doing that. edit: oh or it thinks it's on a domain, that should be fixable too as soon as you get admin.

Thank you, I'll be trying this now.

I understand I am an idiot and need to back up things more often.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Klyith posted:

Yup, on 7 it was the default Admin. Lesson learned. I'm downloading and making a USB windows 10 recovery stick now. The domain thing probably playing a part here, it was a university laptop once upon a time.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mourne posted:

Yup, on 7 it was the default Admin.

OK it may just be that then. Did you try logging into "Manager" with your previous admin password, or just blank no password? Basically since admin is supposed to be a restricted thing on 7 and up, the upgrade might have done one of two things: moved all user settings over to Manager including password, or made a new administrator-privileged account with no password because Administrator was taken and locked with a password.

But once you can get access to safe mode or normal log-in with a recovery USB you can look to see if it's still set up for a domain with system properties -> computer name and workgroup/domain

And please interpret my somewhat curt & harsh instructions and reprimands as "stern teacher voice", not a you stupid idiot type thing. It's not exactly made clear why windows wants you to do the things it does, and using administrator is an easy shortcut to make something work that was set up for a domain before. Used to be pretty much fine in the XP days too.

The backups thing is for real tho, a $10 USB stick is good enough for basic backup of things that are really important. For anyone else reading the thread this is a teachable moment!

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Klyith posted:

OK it may just be that then. Did you try logging into "Manager" with your previous admin password, or just blank no password? Basically since admin is supposed to be a restricted thing on 7 and up, the upgrade might have done one of two things: moved all user settings over to Manager including password, or made a new administrator-privileged account with no password because Administrator was taken and locked with a password.

Yeah I have tried both -- no dice.

Klyith posted:

But once you can get access to safe mode or normal log-in with a recovery USB you can look to see if it's still set up for a domain with system properties -> computer name and workgroup/domain

This is still downloading and verifying and doing its thing. I'll report back as soon as I have an update.

Klyith posted:

And please interpret my somewhat curt & harsh instructions and reprimands as "stern teacher voice", not a you stupid idiot type thing. It's not exactly made clear why windows wants you to do the things it does, and using administrator is an easy shortcut to make something work that was set up for a domain before. Used to be pretty much fine in the XP days too.

No worries!! Goons wouldn't be goons if we didn't berate each other while we fix problems :)

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos
OK so this: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...f8-3bece6718208

did not work

But this: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2988539/windows/if-you-forget-your-windows-admin-password-try-this.html

Did.

I changed the Administrator password first but I still got the error that the admin account had been disabled. I then changed Manager password and that let me log in. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to re-enable the Admin account. I was following this: http://www.kapilarya.com/your-account-has-been-disabled-windows-10

But lusrmgr.msc brings up a screen that says "This snapin may not be used with this edition of Windows 10." It wants me to go through user accounts in the control panel, but admin doesn't appear there.

Edit: Any idea where to look for the documents for the Admin profile? I checked C:\Users\Admin, Default.migrated, and Public and there's nothing.

Perhaps I learn the hard way about back ups.

Mourne fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 29, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Image the drive if you can. I'd recommend Macrium Reflect Free because it lets you mount images read-only and all-access in Windows later (so if the system is hiding files that aren't 'yours' from you it can't do that anymore). You won't get everything left that you want to back up just by hunter-seeker methods, because nobody does.

And figure out what edition and activation method of Windows you have (PC Settings: Update > Activation).

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Image the drive if you can. I'd recommend Macrium Reflect Free because it lets you mount images read-only and all-access in Windows later (so if the system is hiding files that aren't 'yours' from you it can't do that anymore). You won't get everything left that you want to back up just by hunter-seeker methods, because nobody does.

And figure out what edition and activation method of Windows you have (PC Settings: Update > Activation).

OK I'll look into imaging the drive. It's Windows 10 Home and its activated with a digital entitlement.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

You ... you actually think that's how it works, don't you.

Did you restart yet?
:negative:

Yes, but only after turning off scaling. There's no reason to use it on a 15" 1080 laptop screen.

Anyway, I didn't manage to upgrade my other system, possibly because it's running Win 8 Enterprise N. However I still want to get the digital entitlement just in case at some point they unfuck it. Is there any way to do an in-place upgrade without a full wipe, given that I have a Win7 Pro license for this machine? I do have a backup thankfully but don't want to waste too much time dicking around with it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mourne posted:

Edit: Any idea where to look for the documents for the Admin profile? I checked C:\Users\Admin, Default.migrated, and Public and there's nothing.

Documents are hopefully in windows.old, there should be a users folder in there.

I guess there's a possibility that upgrade doesn't save stuff in Administrator because it's supposed to not have user stuff in it, which would suck for you. If not in windows.old or any user folder it may be gone.

Mourne posted:

But lusrmgr.msc brings up a screen that says "This snapin may not be used with this edition of Windows 10." It wants me to go through user accounts in the control panel, but admin doesn't appear there.
Yeah home version has always disabled a bunch of the advanced user management tools. The command prompt method in part 2 should work though.

But honestly I'd advise doing a drive image, or hunting for all your stuff that you can find to save to another location, rather than trying to poke that install back into working order. Once you have your stuff saved (or as much of it as is left :( ), using the full reset method to wipe windows back to square one is easy. It's pretty much the same as format / clean install. As long as it's activated now it'll stay activated after the reset.

mobby_6kl posted:

Is there any way to do an in-place upgrade without a full wipe, given that I have a Win7 Pro license for this machine?
Probably not. Upgrade works off the installed OS. There might be some way to hack it (ex forcefully delete just the windows folder from recovery console) but the flipside leaves you with a non-functional OS. With only 8 hours left I wouldn't want to try.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Klyith posted:

But honestly I'd advise doing a drive image, or hunting for all your stuff that you can find to save to another location, rather than trying to poke that install back into working order. Once you have your stuff saved (or as much of it as is left :( ), using the full reset method to wipe windows back to square one is easy. It's pretty much the same as format / clean install. As long as it's activated now it'll stay activated after the reset.

This will be my next step. I'm gonna salvage everything I can and then do a clean install. Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Let this be a lesson to all: Back up things you care about!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Looks like my housemate will be on 7 for another decade yet. The installer refused to download properly, and now it's claiming that she's installed Windows in an unsupported directory. Namely, C:\Windows.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Bieeardo posted:

Looks like my housemate will be on 7 for another decade yet. The installer refused to download properly, and now it's claiming that she's installed Windows in an unsupported directory. Namely, C:\Windows.

How dare she.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Now downloading Windows 10 in a race against time.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade Looks like the upgrade window being extended came true, not super surprising.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Mischievous Mink posted:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade Looks like the upgrade window being extended came true, not super surprising.

The window hasn't been extended, accessibility customers have always had this option.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mischievous Mink posted:

(The announcement that 10 upgrades would remain free for assist tech users was made back in May, this is not news.)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Click HERE to confirm you use Assistive Technologies (WTF does this mean anyways?) and get your FREE UPGRADE!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

After a terrifying hour I've got Windows 10 installed and I have a few questions.

1. Is it possible to make the subfolders in a folder display before the files? I want this for my images folder because it's huge and I don't want to have to scroll to the bottom to see the folders. It was how it should be in Windows 7.

2. Is it possible to make the systray and time/date show up on both taskbars if you have multiple monitors?

3. Where can I find the contents of the old "startup" folder that was in the Programs part of the start menu in Windows 7? I had a homemade executable in there and I want to recover it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

When I click "Upgrade Now" in the Get Windows 10 window, I get an error message of "Something went wrong. Please try again later."

I'm on Windows 7. Been searching around for about a hour but I can't find any solutions.

Edit: Nevermind. I didn't know you could just get it from Microsoft's site. The program downloaded from the site works fine. Thanks Window 7! :thumbsup:

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 30, 2016

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

redeyes posted:

confirm you use Assistive Technologies (WTF does this mean anyways?)

It means you're blind or stephen hawking or some poo poo like that.

MS is continuing to give away 10 to disabled people because they've made some improvements to assistance tech and so they're gonna give people the upgrade rather than try to backport it.

For all the poo poo I give and will continue to give Microsoft over data collection, advertisements, and trying to turn windows into a lock-in platform like ios, this is a genuinely good and nice thing for them to do. Anyone who clicks that button despite not being handicapped just to get a free upgrade (when they've had a year to do it) should just save some time and kill themselves instead. Just pirate a torrent or whatever, don't make them close down the program with a statement that starts with "due to overwhelming fraud..."

Jewel Repetition posted:

After a terrifying hour I've got Windows 10 installed and I have a few questions.

1. Is it possible to make the subfolders in a folder display before the files? I want this for my images folder because it's huge and I don't want to have to scroll to the bottom to see the folders. It was how it should be in Windows 7.

2. Is it possible to make the systray and time/date show up on both taskbars if you have multiple monitors?

3. Where can I find the contents of the old "startup" folder that was in the Programs part of the start menu in Windows 7? I had a homemade executable in there and I want to recover it.
1. sort by name again? folders are still sorted first by default for me even in a pictures folder.
2. not without various 3rd party programs
3. in windows.old if you upgraded. should be something like windows.old\users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
or just search users for the exe name

Klyith fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 30, 2016

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

Probably not. Upgrade works off the installed OS. There might be some way to hack it (ex forcefully delete just the windows folder from recovery console) but the flipside leaves you with a non-functional OS. With only 8 hours left I wouldn't want to try.
Just remembered I have the original spinny disk that came with the machine and had Win7 installed, so I popped the drive in and installed it, never to be used probably.

redeyes posted:

Click HERE to confirm you use Assistive Technologies (WTF does this mean anyways?) and get your FREE UPGRADE!
Really, now that the original date has passed, there's no reason for them not to extend the free upgrade period or even make it perpetual and get more people to see their ads the Microsoft Experience.

Jewel Repetition posted:

1. Works fine here, just sort the folder by name ??
2. Haven't really used it on the multi-monitor system yet.
3. It should be in "C:\Users\Jewel Repetition\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" though I have no idea if it's still working as I don't have anything there now.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Just remembered I have the original spinny disk that came with the machine and had Win7 installed, so I popped the drive in and installed it, never to be used probably.

Really, now that the original date has passed, there's no reason for them not to extend the free upgrade period or even make it perpetual and get more people to see their ads the Microsoft Experience.

1. Works fine here, just sort the folder by name ??
2. Haven't really used it on the multi-monitor system yet.
3. It should be in "C:\Users\Jewel Repetition\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" though I have no idea if it's still working as I don't have anything there now.

Thanks. The problem is that I'm trying to sort them by date modified.

Edit: You gotta fuckin go into list view, click on Date Modified to sort it that way, then shift click on Name for some reason to get folders to show up first.

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 30, 2016

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

It turns out there's no way to have the system tray/clock on more than one monitor. The technology just isn't there yet I guess. Luckily DisplayFusion will still do it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Jewel Repetition posted:

It turns out there's no way to have the system tray/clock on more than one monitor. The technology just isn't there yet I guess. Luckily DisplayFusion will still do it.

Boy are you gonna like August 2nd!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

redeyes posted:

In the computer context it's stuff like braille input/output (yes, they have things that poke up braille dots to read from), screen readers, those various things you have to use to interact with computers if you have severe paralysis, and so on.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Mischievous Mink posted:

So Microsoft is saying "If you wait until after 7/29 to obtain a free upgrade to Windows 10, then you're mentally and/or physically challenged"?

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

So, now Microsoft are taking away the ability for Pro users to edit policies that were originally available, simply because they want to display more ads to more people... Nice. On top of the forced telemetry and advertisements for general users, they're now forcing it on people who possibly paid a premium in order to have more control over these things and who wanted to avoid this completely, after the fact. I used my 8.1 Pro license to get 10 Pro, but there are likely lots of people who actually paid for their licenses and are now going to have ads forced on them unless they can figure out another workaround. Not that it's really any more acceptable for MS to be forcing ads on people who upgraded for "free." I hope someone figures out how to disable these things after the changes are implemented, otherwise I'll just go back to 7 or 8.1 and maybe dual-boot 10 for games that actually require it. But it sounds like using 7 isn't even a viable option if I upgrade my main components next year.

*sigh*

I wish we didn't have to basically depend on using Windows for a ton of games. If Linux had as good of support/compatibility, then I would have switched long ago.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Which ads are these exactly?

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Basically all of the "suggested apps" or recommendations and related things that show up in the Start menu and elsewhere. Those constitute ads, unless you actually want random app suggestions. You also supposedly won't be able to disable the Windows "tips" and the lock screen. You can remove or disable most of that stuff right now, but that's supposedly changing with the Anniversary Update.

You can remove those random apps and Microsoft-approved programs from the Start menu currently, but I have no idea if they're planning for that to change. The way people are talking about it is that all users except for those on Enterprise and Education versions will have to deal with them now, with no ability to disable them other than possibly the standard right-click>uninstall/unpin from start.

some dillweed fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 30, 2016

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Telemetry is a part of fully-updated Windows 7 IIRC

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

People also keep lists of the telemetry updates for 7 so you can avoid them, and there are apparently workarounds to disable telemetry stuff in 7. Personally, I'm less concerned about MS having my system details and related information when programs crash, and am more concerned that they're trying to push unwanted programs and similar things like the OS is now adware.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Khablam posted:

Boy are you gonna like August 2nd!

What.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Grog posted:

Basically all of the "suggested apps" or recommendations and related things that show up in the Start menu and elsewhere. Those constitute ads, unless you actually want random app suggestions. You also supposedly won't be able to disable the Windows "tips" and the lock screen. You can remove or disable most of that stuff right now, but that's supposedly changing with the Anniversary Update.

You can remove those random apps and Microsoft-approved programs from the Start menu currently, but I have no idea if they're planning for that to change. The way people are talking about it is that all users except for those on Enterprise and Education versions will have to deal with them now, with no ability to disable them other than possibly the standard right-click>uninstall/unpin from start.

The controls for those are still in PC Settings as of the Anniversary Update. In fact, they have been since the start of Windows 10.

This is a formal notice that you trust Internet sandbaggers more than how the thing they're talking about can be observed to work.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

I was obviously more reactionary than I should have been. I've been dealing with a lot of poo poo lately and my nerves are stressed, so this being a possibility on top of everything else was too much.

I know that the majority of these options have been adjustable in the settings until now, but is it unreasonable to think that Microsoft would change that? Does anybody actually have the final Anniversary Update release and not an Insider Preview? Could they not make those changes system-wide and not restricted to the Group Policy Editor? Do we know they aren't going to actually make those changes system-wide on the actual release date? Have there been changes in public updates that weren't shown in their respective Insider builds? I'm not asking rhetorically, I'm actually wondering because I haven't been paying attention to most things related to Windows 10.