Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Venom Snake posted:

Well there is normal hate, and there is "4 star marine general calling Trump a treasonous fat disgrace" hate

where is the lie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

the gently caress he did. nixon never once in his life cared about domestic policy; he signed the epa into existence because it had widespread bipartisan support, and he wanted something to distract the left from Vietnam.

Crushing your vanquished enemies is domestic policy.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jewel Repetition posted:

So the other day Thom Hartmann said that there were alarming similarities in the candidates of this election and the 1968 election, and the more I think about it the harder it is to unsee.

The Democrat Hubert Humphrey was running as a continuation of the previous president he served under. His main strength that the campaign played up was his resume and qualifications. But the very liberal didn't like him at all and saw his hawkishness as a problem. The college-aged in particular disliked him so strongly in favor of other primary candidates that they refused to be unified during the DNC and protested it. He was also seen as a sellout who in spite of fighting passionately for causes decades ago was completely ruled by politics and would only say things that had been carefully calculated by him and his team (Tom Lehrer wrote a song about it).

Nixon on the other hand was the relative outsider to Humphrey's insider. He was clearly deeply flawed as a person but people were willing to overlook it because he would tell them what they liked and craved to hear, including a few racist dogwhistles. Opposition to him in his own party was so strong that two of his primary opponents were relying on a contested convention toward the end, although he still ended up winning on the first ballot. He then selected a compromise VP to unify his party, made appeals to a "silent majority," promised he would solve geopolitical problems with a secret plan he wouldn't release, and styled himself as the only one able to unite a nation that had been divided by the previous administration and a "law and order" candidate in a period with unusually high tensions between police and citizenry.

Hubert Humphrey was running against an insurgent campaign by Eugene McCarthy after Robert Kennedy had been murdered and LBJ was basically driven from office by the escalating failure of the Vietnam War. After Kennedy died, a number of his loyalists threw their support behind George McGovern (who would be the Dems candidate in 1972). The 1968 convention was an absolute bloody fiasco where police security was so brutal that Dan Rather ended up getting roughed up inside of the convention hall. In spite of ~3/4ths of the Democrat voter base being anti-war, the Dems refused to add an anti-war plank to the platform. No one was unified, everyone was pissed, and Humphrey was facing a newly popular GOP led by Richard Nixon, and whatever else you can say about Nixon he was an able politician and campaigner.

This year wasn't even a kerfluffle compared to 1968, and a thin-skinned, ignorant blowhard like Trump is nowhere near the dangerous campaigner that Nixon was.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

nixon is so profoundly different from trump, and i don't mean that in a 'he was a good secret liberal' way, he was scum, but he was also just a different man in so many huge ways

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
It's really easy to come in under budget when you don't pay your contractors :smugdon:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Trump is all talk, Nixon got poo poo done.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Against my better judgment, I'd probably gently caress Dana Bash.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
You know who else didn't want the U.S. renting space in Saudi Arabia?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I love the part of every Trump rally where he bores the audience to death by talking about his buildings for 20 minutes.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Slate Action posted:

I love the part of every Trump rally where he bores the audience to death by talking about his buildings for 20 minutes.

Yeah it's been a while since I heard him get into flooring tile selections :allears:

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
HEIGHT=LENGTH

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Trump and Nixon are very alike in that they both desperately craved acceptance from high society, but instead felt spurned and spited, so tried to remake themselves out to be the People's champion.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hahah Whoops!

https://twitter.com/BrandonRittiman/status/759136225399869440

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Venom Snake posted:

Well there is normal hate, and there is "4 star marine general calling Trump a treasonous fat disgrace" hate

it's only light treason.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/759070040222146560

Some of the other great words right now include "French" "gear shift" and Springsteen's Born to Run

It's the top #1 word in the world and they still won't accept it into the word hall of fame? Sad! *chugs diet pills*

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Uhhhhh, so he's now saying everyone should give him a break on NATO because he didn't know poo poo about it....and then explains that you should listen to him now because he's a fast learner and he knows everything now.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Uhhhhh, so he's now saying everyone should give him a break on NATO because he didn't know poo poo about it....and then explains that you should listen to him now because he's a fast learner and he knows everything now.

the persuasive killshot

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/759137191507337216

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/759138491582132224

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

"In 10 minutes I'd learn a lot about NATO"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Here we go with the beef for cars thing. Complete with non sequitr NASCAR shout out.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Why isn't there a pivot emoticon by now?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Hubert Humphrey was running against an insurgent campaign by Eugene McCarthy after Robert Kennedy had been murdered and LBJ was basically driven from office by the escalating failure of the Vietnam War. After Kennedy died, a number of his loyalists threw their support behind George McGovern (who would be the Dems candidate in 1972). The 1968 convention was an absolute bloody fiasco where police security was so brutal that Dan Rather ended up getting roughed up inside of the convention hall. In spite of ~3/4ths of the Democrat voter base being anti-war, the Dems refused to add an anti-war plank to the platform. No one was unified, everyone was pissed, and Humphrey was facing a newly popular GOP led by Richard Nixon, and whatever else you can say about Nixon he was an able politician and campaigner.

This year wasn't even a kerfluffle compared to 1968, and a thin-skinned, ignorant blowhard like Trump is nowhere near the dangerous campaigner that Nixon was.

this. Dems are relativly unified(apart from various sections of the far left, but thats typical) and trump is no nixon. if i were to make a comparison. nixon was Palpatine, some one who can "control" their anger well enough in public and can use chaos and cheating to climb his way to power and got poo poo done. Trump is kylo renn, an overly angry shithead who says something stupid and/or awful every day in public. he throws tantrums and can get his rear end kicked if you know how.

JHomer722 posted:

lmao "Patton wouldn't like emails."

Also, WTF: "I love you and I think it's a guy!"

why does he jerk off to patton so much. patton was a good company commander and soldier, but he was a loving nutjob and idiot with everything else. he got lucky and died right as the war ended. the dude would have been terrible in war now a days as a general. he probaly would have been a good on the field officer though.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Donald is right, he could tell me stories I don't believe all day.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Nice!

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/759139228076810242

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
He's taking the gloves off!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jazerus posted:

Why isn't there a pivot emoticon by now?

I really enjoy watching Trump walk all over 30 years of Republican Party message discipline.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

why does he jerk off to patton so much ... he was a loving nutjob and idiot

i think you answered your own question, good job!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Good to see he's finally getting started on Hillary.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
lmao

OK so he's mad that people said he wanted to get rid of NATO.....then said he wants to walk away from NATO...........then threw shade on defense treaties with Japan..............then treaties in general. "You have to be willing to walk away".

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dapper_Swindler posted:

why does he jerk off to patton so much. patton was a good company commander and soldier, but he was a loving nutjob and idiot with everything else. he got lucky and died right as the war ended. the dude would have been terrible in war now a days as a general. he probaly would have been a good on the field officer though.

Because he believes Patton was a TRUE AMERICAN HERO (tm) WHO GIVES SPEECHES IN FRONT OF GIANT AMERICAN FLAGS! :911:, unlike that loser POW John McCain.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Welp, whoever was asking what Trump would do to get the headlines back.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
He just completed the 360 degree pivot on the "Lock her up" chants. Referenced how he's been saying lets just beat her in November but "I'm starting to come back around and agree with you".

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

JHomer722 posted:

Trump and Nixon are very alike in that they both desperately craved acceptance from high society, but instead felt spurned and spited, so tried to remake themselves out to be the People's champion.

yeah but even this is a kinda superficial convergence if you consider the differences of where they came from, and exactly what they did with the spite.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
"I don't know what number you call, I don't know why I would know something like that, but call it and give money"

:laffo:

HOLY poo poo BROUGHT UP THE BLOOD OUT OF HER WHATEVER OUT OF loving NOWHERE

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Trump on how to donate to the campaign: "Call the RNC, why should I know about that?"

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Is this a meltdown yet?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lmao

OK so he's mad that people said he wanted to get rid of NATO.....then said he wants to walk away from NATO...........then threw shade on defense treaties with Japan..............then treaties in general. "You have to be willing to walk away".

MAGA 2016: "Know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

"I don't know what number you call, I don't know why I would know something like that, but call it and give money"

:laffo:

HOLY poo poo BROUGHT UP THE BLOOD OUT OF HER WHATEVER OUT OF loving NOWHERE

hahahahh

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

iospace posted:

Because he believes Patton was a TRUE AMERICAN HERO (tm) WHO GIVES SPEECHES IN FRONT OF GIANT AMERICAN FLAGS! :911:, unlike that loser POW John McCain.

he is only super famous because of the movie(which i love) he was good in the field and having generals/officers who have had actual field expirence is good, but holy gently caress he was batshit.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lmao

so basically he wants to play protection racket. gently caress him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

"In 10 minutes I'd learn a lot about NATO"

Trump's been reading Dilbertblog.

• Locked thread