Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

All true, but that's what the thread is here for; Advice.

Seriously though, you're in a pretty mean machine that can absolutely ruin the enemy. Get stuck in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

thetruegentleman posted:

Well, I was kinda thrown in on a map one week in with a lot of weapon types and terrain/rule variations, and no book to double check things...and the Clans aren't even being generous enough to act like their usual idiot selves; everyone else is in the same boat, obviously, and it might get easier to manage over the next few turns, but there's a lot to consider. And let's be honest, no one wants to be the guy that gets Duncan killed or humiliated after he got every Clan star on the planet sending the Demon Hawks a challenge.

And hell, it isn't like I'm the only one, since no one else seems to have been using the sensors either.

Please don't worry about getting Duncan killed in silly fashion, as PTN will tell you that's just canon! Locusts :smith:

I also missed the last bit of your other post regarding the LRM's - 2317 is pretty safe from the missile boat star this turn. The only 'Mech in that group that can hit you well is the Wolf Spider (which only really has a decent shot with it's clan ERLL) meanwhile the Night Gyr and both Crossbows can't do crap as the smoke and woods utterly block LoS from them to you. I think it might be the same with the Nidhogg but i'm not 100% certain if a shot from it to 2317 would intersect with hex 1920 (which would block LoS) or not (which would simply mean a +2 intervening woods bonus.) If it does have LoS it's number are pretty poor, which is a nice boost - but I expect it will probably fire on the Nergal because it has much better numbers on that puppy.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

thetruegentleman posted:

Well, I was kinda thrown in on a map one week in with a lot of weapon types and terrain/rule variations, and no book to double check things...and the Clans aren't even being generous enough to act like their usual idiot selves; everyone else is in the same boat, obviously, and it might get easier to manage over the next few turns, but there's a lot to consider. And let's be honest, no one wants to be the guy that gets Duncan killed or humiliated after he got every Clan star on the planet sending the Demon Hawks a challenge.

And hell, it isn't like I'm the only one, since no one else seems to have been using the sensors either.

If you weren't around from way back when check out the Luthien mission for the reference. Don't be that guy who gets a killer machine and plays turbo-coward.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

I'll cut a dude a little slack when he's worried about a double UAC 20 Varangian rather than BRAVE KURITA PANTHERS

Like I think it's his best play still but ain't nobody going to be happy about that. The good news is the Autocannons don't play nice with his heat curve so he's not quite as scary as the weapon list implies.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Z the IVth posted:

If you weren't around from way back when check out the Luthien mission for the reference. Don't be that guy who gets a killer machine and plays turbo-coward.

Luthien was a dumb suicide mission by Clanners: Mercs want to live and get paid. Besides, there's cowardice, and there's "running up against Clanners with a combined BV that easily tops the Nergal". That Varangian alone is equal to the Atlas, and he's got friends.

Now, if the unit card of the Ragnarok Beta said it was targeting me, and the Missile star wasn't set to "Opportunity", I probably wouldn't be so bothered...but Sea Fox are cheating bastards playing like they're Inner Sphere.

Edit:

Picard Day posted:

I'll cut a dude a little slack when he's worried about a double UAC 20 Varangian rather than BRAVE KURITA PANTHERS

Like I think it's his best play still but ain't nobody going to be happy about that. The good news is the Autocannons don't play nice with his heat curve so he's not quite as scary as the weapon list implies.

That's probably true, but I'm going to keep looking at alternatives. Maybe run to 2417 and face 2416 so the Atlas can jump in next turn instead of the turn after if everyone starts shooting at it?

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 30, 2016

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Wild Weasel: I am taking a nice long circular walk to 2918 (for that sweet +1) which puts me in a surprisingly safe spot (only 2 mechs can fire directly at me at fairly poor THs, which probably means they will focus on bigger easier targets), keeps both the Atlas and Nergal inside my ECM, and gives me line of sight to hex 1524, which is about to get mined. I am a bit worried that trying to do too many things at once will eventually lead to me making a huge oversight and getting killed, but I enjoy the challenge.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

^^^^ 1524 is a ridiculously good minespot - those Crossbow pilots will be crying!

thetruegentleman posted:

Edit:

That's probably true, but I'm going to keep looking at alternatives. Maybe run to 2417 and face 2416 so the Atlas can jump in next turn instead of the turn after if everyone starts shooting at it?

If I have a complaint about 2317 it's the fact that it doesn't give you the option to jump in the drink. The bad news is from that location its medium range for your Snub-Nose PPC's which cuts down significantly on your accuracy and firepower. It's also a good idea to figure out what the plan will be once you enter the water in that hex if the situation demanded it. Remember the Varangian has to make some serious decisions about whether it wants to take a big heat gamble with long range UAC/20 shots and risk jamming his guns vs. his lower output options to simply dust you with lasers. If he does overheat himself signicantly this turn trying to fish a great alpha on less than promising AC shots against you his lowered accuracy+movement the following turn will be seriously bad news for him. He really needs his full movement right now.

For the water stuff

Option 1: Ducking fire for this turn, want to get out as soon as possible - This means you will be entering hex 2416 that turn and not doing anything. The following turn you use your MP to turn around and face the hex you just left. The following turn you move up back into hex 2417 - this time with your butt facing the Assault Star and no move mod.

Option 2: Moving across the water to the island to your north - I think this would take 3-4 turns (including the turn you jump in). Slightly better in the sense that you won't be giving a great rearshot to the Assault Star, but by the point you can get out it's likely some of the missile Star will have set up behind you (based on their general path so far)

Either way they will have neutralized the Atlas (Gooncompanies second best close-in threat) for at least 2 turns which is a bit worrying.

One cool thing from 2317 is that (assuming you activate TSM by achieving exactly 9 heat this turn) you have flexible moves against the Varangian. If things looks a little too hot you can back up straight 4 and keep it's scary guns out of range entirely (if it doesn't advance) or at long range (if it does). You would also have the movement to run up to 2114 directly facing a water hex (This is gonna be a slugger of a round if it goes down) which gives you the option to jump right into water hex 2113 the following turn. That would deny line of sight from everything - unless the Ragnarok jumps in the water to evade fire and advances south to pop up - in which case you get to ambush it underwater where it can't fire back!)

Between the smoke and the woods you really don't have a whole lot to worry about from the LRM-boat star either this turn or the following turn. One of the upsides of being on course to get into a close range fight with the Varangian is that the island you would converge on enjoys really great woods coverage from the island below which would be between you and the missile star who simply aren't particularly great at maneuvering on this map (especially with a minefield breaking their movement up further) and will have a really tough time finding good firing lines on you, despite the close range nature of the thing. If extra LoS blockage is needed the Wild Weasel still has smoke rounds to help prevent them from being consequential to the assault battle as well and it's well positioned to support the Atlas.

This is an extremely interesting game map so I hope you guys don't mind me sperging out over hexes all over the place

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.

thetruegentleman posted:

Don't be afraid. Trust in the armor of the Atlas III. Even if you can't manufacture ludicrous movement modifiers, at least you aren't potentially crippled by a single hit. (Like the Screamer most certainly can, my defense is trying not to get hit in the first place.) Relax and feel the love of the big guns.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
In all forms of Battletech/Mechwarrior the Atlas' job is to die historic on the Fury Road and drag everything else to hell with you. get stuck in and wreck faces

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Ronin Of Dreams posted:

Don't be afraid. Trust in the armor of the Atlas III. Even if you can't manufacture ludicrous movement modifiers, at least you aren't potentially crippled by a single hit. (Like the Screamer most certainly can, my defense is trying not to get hit in the first place.) Relax and feel the love of the big guns.

This is very true. In the Death Commandos series of battles I got to play as the Atlas on the very first mission and I was terrified. It made me play a little too passive in the first few turns because I didn't know if I had to conserve ammo for the next person and I really didn't want to break the amazing machine before others got to use it.

Don't worry about what might happen, just relax and jump in. If it doesn't work out then you went down swinging, and I doubt you'll fall before doing quite a bit of damage.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

thetruegentleman posted:

Krumbsthumbs posted:

This is very true. In the Death Commandos series of battles I got to play as the Atlas on the very first mission and I was terrified. It made me play a little too passive in the first few turns because I didn't know if I had to conserve ammo for the next person and I really didn't want to break the amazing machine before others got to use it.

Don't worry about what might happen, just relax and jump in. If it doesn't work out then you went down swinging, and I doubt you'll fall before doing quite a bit of damage.

As someone experienced with battletech, this is a system that rewards aggressive manuevers, don't go fully stupid but don't be afraid to take some licks if you get yours back. There is no assurances the dice will decide all fate, and they hate everyone anyway.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

AtomikKrab posted:

As someone experienced with battletech, this is a system that rewards aggressive manuevers, don't go fully stupid but don't be afraid to take some licks if you get yours back. There is no assurances the dice will decide all fate, and they hate everyone anyway.

This is why I was so insistent on jumping Noretti's ride before it got to a defensive position 2 missions back. The chance to remove it was there and letting it get to the trees would have only served to prolong the damage. If you let PTN dictate where and how the fighting happens you will die miserably.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Don't forget that the primary objective is to protect the Nergal. Unlike last mission where we treated getting out as a priority, this time (eventually) getting shot out of your ride is fine, since this whole thing takes place on Amaris' home turf.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 30, 2016

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

AtomikKrab posted:

This advice goes double when playing against the Clans. They are always going to win the fight if you hang back and trade fire while trying to win a numbers game. Getting in close with numbers and focusing them down fast with reliable fire and physical attacks while denying them the chance to build an advantage over a bunch of sniping is much more effective. You have to dictate the fights with these guys or they are gonna potshot from smoke clouds all day.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Picard Day posted:

This advice goes double when playing against the Clans. They are always going to win the fight if you hang back and trade fire while trying to win a numbers game. Getting in close with numbers and focusing them down fast with reliable fire and physical attacks while denying them the chance to build an advantage over a bunch of sniping is much more effective. You have to dictate the fights with these guys or they are gonna potshot from smoke clouds all day.

And this is accentuated by the way initiative works. PTN always loses, meaning his only ability to dictate engagement ranges and locations is via the threat of incoming fire. The only way PTN can seize the initiative is if you allow him to dictate the terms of engagement.

Your enemies would prefer you to keep the range open and if you can't kill some of them quickly they'll overwhelm you with superior firepower and coordinated tactics. The threat of concentrated fire inbound, good TH numbers against at mid-ranges and getting flanked and defeated in detail isn't going to be reduced by dodging incoming fire for 2-3 turns, and it's likely to be worsened.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I could risk two extra gauss shots at 12s from the unknown alpha that would not otherwise be directed at anyone this turn, and only be at risk otherwise from the Sohei jumping to 2802 while hitting on 8s, though I'd be very aggressively positioned, or I can try and soak shots with the rest of the northern guys who I think are pushing on the Sohei. I could jump south but I would be eating 9s on the warhawk's pulse lasers in 2914. I think I would be out of los from the varan and ragnarok, but if I don't get that third hex of light woods, I am on 9s before range mods, so 5 11s from the two together. I would also be at long range with my medium lasers and at 10s. Either way the Sohei would have 2 good shots at me at 8s, I can withdraw and refuse all los but Papa Nergal and Grandpa Duncan are moving up into firing range so I'd rather pitch in.

Also how did that warhawk walk up 2 elevations, and through a water hex on 4 move points? It would be a good trick to run through water, he should teach me it.

vorebane fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 30, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

One thing to bear in mind, and this goes double if you're in a slow ride, is opportunity cost. The benefits of a decision one turn may be outweighed by the loss of better options in future turns. Running into depth-2 water does basically mean you're out of the fight for two or more turns, and every turn counts when there's one and a half stars on the way.

An aggressive play on the Ragnarok from walking to 2518 (explicitly walking, not running), rather than my original suggestion, would reduce your damage and accuracy with your SNPPCs but allow you to activate your TSM at an exact 9 points of overheat, giving you all of the benefits. From there, constant generation of exactly 24 heat to counter the effects of your heatsinks is easy: Run for 2 heat, shoot your HGR, and shoot two SNPPCs. For heat generation it doesn't matter exactly where you shoot them, just that you do.

Also I've pinged sensors in my orders but really we know where most of them are. The ones that are coming right for us.

vorebane posted:

Also how did that warhawk walk up 2 elevations, and through a water hex on 4 move points?

You can't run into water but you can run out of it.

Also I am pretty sure I am going to be the prime target for the Blood Asp, Ragnarok, and Varangian. The Nergal's so large I actually have effectively negative move mod.

KnoxZone posted:

Wild Weasel: I am taking a nice long circular walk to 2918 (for that sweet +1) which puts me in a surprisingly safe spot (only 2 mechs can fire directly at me at fairly poor THs, which probably means they will focus on bigger easier targets), keeps both the Atlas and Nergal inside my ECM, and gives me line of sight to hex 1524, which is about to get mined. I am a bit worried that trying to do too many things at once will eventually lead to me making a huge oversight and getting killed, but I enjoy the challenge.

:getin:

Runa fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 30, 2016

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

You can't run into water but you can run out of it.

He ran into 2906 though, which is depth 1 water. Unless he ran up onto the docks, which I would also consider a good trick, but maybe it's one the rules don't disallow.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

vorebane posted:

He ran into 2906 though, which is depth 1 water. Unless he ran up onto the docks, which I would also consider a good trick, but maybe it's one the rules don't disallow.

What I should add is that you can also run in water, you just can't run into water from outside of it.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

T.G. Xarbala posted:

An aggressive play on the Ragnarok from walking to 2518 (explicitly walking, not running), rather than my original suggestion, would reduce your damage and accuracy with your SNPPCs but allow you to activate your TSM at an exact 9 points of overheat, giving you all of the benefits. From there, constant generation of exactly 24 heat to counter the effects of your heatsinks is easy: Run for 2 heat, shoot your HGR, and shoot two SNPPCs. For heat generation it doesn't matter exactly where you shoot them, just that you do.

:getin:

I'm not sure the math is exactly correct on this - If the Atlas fires the HGR and only walks it has no way to not generate an odd numbered heat mod. Running + 3 SNPPCS + HGR comes out to 33 total heat = 9 overheat. Edit: gah I was wrong. Forgot the HGR was 2 heat. Getting that TSM active this turn makes a big difference so that would also be a pretty reasonable play.

Also - have you considered how the Battle Computer quirk is going to effect your heat for activating QSM Xarbala? I'll dig out my copy of prototypes or wherever it shows up and check the deets soon but keep in mind (if you aren't already) that quirk will effect your heat curve.

Picard Day fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 30, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Picard Day posted:

Also - have you considered how the Battle Computer quirk is going to effect your heat for activating QSM Xarbala? I'll dig out my copy of prototypes or wherever it shows up and check the deets soon but keep in mind (if you aren't already) that quirk will effect your heat curve.

Battle Computer is the one that affects Initiative rolls, Combat Computer is the one that reduces heat buildup.

So it has no real effect in a set initiative sequence.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

What I should add is that you can also run in water, you just can't run into water from outside of it.

Ok, I ended up finding introductory rules on the web that state a running mech can't enter a water hex, only leave or change facing. But I think I vaguely remember a forum post about running through water, I think from PTN. I'm jumping behind the warhawk in any case.

vorebane fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 30, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I should point out for everyone's benefit that each enemy mech can only really target one or two people at a time, so if you're worried about getting into LOS of an enemy always remember if there's someone else the opfor can target as well.

And Clanners have the long range and good stats to reach out and touch somebody who might not necessarily be you, especially if they're an easier or more threatening target.

vorebane posted:

Ok, I ended up finding introductory rules on the web that state a running mech can't enter a water hex, only leave or change facing. But I think I vaguely remember a forum post about running through water, I think from PTN. I'm jumping behind the warhawk in any case.

This is an exceedingly dangerous plan because, as a medium, you're exactly what the Warhawk eats for breakfast. That said, there's some even more vulnerable teammates in the warhawk's LOS and it would have to torso twist to hit you, and it would only be able to use two cLPLs in one arm to do so. If it decides to attack you it's giving up half of its firepower, so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjVmeKWOsEU

As an aside, PTN told me in a PM that I treat water hexes as clear terrain (which digging up the tripod and superheavy rules seems to be a house rule) so I'm going to assume that's a campaign scenario ruling to make it so that if he were controlling Nergal, he wouldn't be stuck on the platform.

Runa fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 30, 2016

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Battle Computer is the one that affects Initiative rolls, Combat Computer is the one that reduces heat buildup.

So it has no real effect in a set initiative sequence.

Yeah I just realized I had that messed up when I was looking it up in StratOps a few seconds ago. Not batting too hot! In my defense it's easy to get those mixed up off memory.

It will be interesting to see who the Warhawk decides to shoot. If the Beowulf is jumping 5+ hexes to get behind it I think it will hit him on 4's. Depending on where the awesome move it will be around 6's..

Which is the thing about the Warhawk - it's got low damage potential (for a clan assault 'mech) but it does that damage very consistently. If it is in combat it's probably going to hit with everything. The way to get around that is to just kill it as quickly as possible (though I still suggest focusing down the Sohei this turn before putting all effort into the Warhawk) and try to avoid presenting it with soft targets. Every turn he's dumping a bunch of lasers into a nice heavy armored slowboat like the Awesome should be a win for Gooncompany.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Picard Day posted:

Please don't worry about getting Duncan killed in silly fashion, as PTN will tell you that's just canon! Locusts :smith

Duncan is in the safest mech he's ever piloted. He's here to kick rear end and kick rear end.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sair posted:

Duncan is in the safest mech he's ever piloted. He's here to kick rear end and kick rear end.

He's in a safe mech but all it takes is one gauss slug or erppc blast and the right amount of hatred out of the dice and he's dead, same as anyone else.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

He's in a safe mech but all it takes is one gauss slug or erppc blast and the right amount of hatred out of the dice and he's dead, same as anyone else.
Which should be why he's giving as many of these out each turn as he can. Battlestar Gallactica told us you don't tell people to fly safe, you wish them Happy Hunting.

Also, if you're a merc leading a company in an Atlas and you're *not* an Alpha Jerk, there's probably something a bit weird. Being a merc isn't a career choice for the risk-averse. How long could you happily live on the proceeds of selling an Atlas? But you don't, because you'd rather make more money by meeting new people and then shooting off their arms / legs / face.

Makes me wonder what the Battletech version of LinkedIn looks like -

Lt. Vasques wants to add you to her acquaintances: "Hey, remember when we were on that dusty backwater moon and I blew off your entire left side and you were swearing at your CO about the forced evacuation rules? Yeah, that was over open comms you dumbass!" Do you know Lt. Vasquez?

Duncan +1 Likes the Heavy Gauss Rifle by Defiance Industries, with comment : "Another headshot! Suck me." Do you use the Heavy Gauss Rifle?

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

I really hope that initial 10 points to the CT doesn't end up being what kills me (if I'd just had a ruler with me)...

I'm so gonna kill that Viper, or something... Want blood and flesh in Noretti's teeth...

But yeah, unit tactics take precedence, even over Jason's heirloom and our individual survivals and kill counts.

Looking forward to seeing the Sohei Gamma die a lonely death in the mud this turn...!

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 30, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

vorebane posted:

Ok, I ended up finding introductory rules on the web that state a running mech can't enter a water hex, only leave or change facing.

3 MP to walk into the depth 1 hex, 2 MP to run out of it. You don't start running until your MP actually exceeds your walking MP, by which point the Warhawk was leaving the water.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Fair enough, I can't just run for 2 hexes in deep water then but I can ramp up through shallows. That makes me feel a little better about being in water.

Gonna risk the warhawk incidentally, jumping north for the medium range shots on medium lasers would be fun, but it would be too easy for everyone to turn and isolate the jumpy medium crazy enough to go for backshots this early.

vorebane fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 30, 2016

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Orders are in. Running to 2913 and unloading into the Sohei, contingency on the Warhawk. Pinging 3407.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Ok, I changed my remote probe query to 3528 adter noticing the spreadsheet coordination that sprung up on that.

We've got a full house then and eyes on all.

So what does a Hyper Pulse Rifle do anyway?
All I can get from Sarna is some strange stuff.

Edit: neat!

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 30, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RA Rx posted:

So what does a Hyper Pulse Rifle do anyway?
All I can get from Sarna is some strange stuff.

It's 2 Clan ER Large Lasers welded together with no loss in damage output or range, attached to a laser pulse unit, giving it the pulse laser accuracy bonus. But both the laser and the pulse unit like to blow up if the dice hate you.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Can the Nergal lose any of its legs and still walk or at least fight? Seems to me anything that big should be able to go hull down like a turret.

Other than losing a leg early as long as it doesn't get sandpapered to death with several lucky crits (too bad it doesn't have an armored cockpit, but I guess they're wearing power armor?), or a couple of big ones, and doesn't roll to blow itself up, then we should be fine.

The Nergal has deceptively low damage output for its size (though the HGR and HPLs will wreck the opposition we can't count on them being dumb enough to close for physicals unless it's all at once or for a flanking maneucer) unless it gets lucky with hit location like Duncan did, we're going to have to crit-hunt and finish off mechs for it.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if there's more enemies on the way, like power armor or aircraft (the Nergal has AA targeting)... Originally they outclassed us by about 150 tons, now we outweigh them and have ace, despite their equipment and piloting scores being a bit better.
If we hadn't opened fire on the southern lance, then no reinforcements would've been a pushover. Quite possibly what PTN intended, but let's not be too surprised if more stuff shows up. Hopefully we can get friendly inbound if anything does. We have the edge on this map with a bit more tonnage and ace against slightly better equipment and piloting, but things can change.

... I hope I hit the Ocean Breeze in the head, then I can follow up with a DFA to finish it off...

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 30, 2016

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

RA Rx posted:

Can the Nergal lose any of its legs and still walk or at least fight? Seems to me anything that big should be able to go hull down like a turret.

Other than losing a leg early as long as it doesn't get sandpapered to death with several lucky crits (too bad it doesn't have an armored cockpit, but I guess they're wearing power armor?), or a couple of big ones, and doesn't roll to blow itself up, then we should be fine.

The Nergal has deceptively low damage output for its size though, unless it gets lucky with hit location like Duncan did, then we're going to have to crit-hunt and finish off mechs for it.

If a tripod loses a leg it can still fight, but from that point on it acts like a biped and loses all of its movement advantages. This includes its 360 torso twist, 1 MP facing rule and -1 stability bonus.

The Nergal's damage output is mainly down to all that hardened armour, which eats up 75 tons of its 200-ton weight allowance. It's clearly optimised for defence, but in my experience even using standard armour superheavies die from critical hits or headshots long before they start taking structure damage.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

With two 20-damage ER pulse lasers the Nergal has, as it's ideal target, fast light units.

You guys will have to kill the big poo poo for it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Scintilla posted:

If a tripod loses a leg it can still fight, but from that point on it acts like a biped and loses all of its movement advantages. This includes its 360 torso twist, 1 MP facing rule and -1 stability bonus.

The Nergal's damage output is mainly down to all that hardened armour, which eats up 75 tons of its 200-ton weight allowance. It's clearly optimised for defence, but in my experience even using standard armour superheavies die from critical hits or headshots long before they start taking structure damage.

Well, the great thing about hardened armor on a superheavy is that those crits are far less likely to succeed.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Picard Day posted:

One cool thing from 2317 is that (assuming you activate TSM by achieving exactly 9 heat this turn) you have flexible moves against the Varangian. If things looks a little too hot you can back up straight 4 and keep it's scary guns out of range entirely (if it doesn't advance) or at long range (if it does). You would also have the movement to run up to 2114 directly facing a water hex (This is gonna be a slugger of a round if it goes down) which gives you the option to jump right into water hex 2113 the following turn. That would deny line of sight from everything - unless the Ragnarok jumps in the water to evade fire and advances south to pop up - in which case you get to ambush it underwater where it can't fire back!)

How would I even *get* 9 heat? If I fire everything, sans the Medium Pulse LAZER, I should have 8 heat remaining (+2 run, +30 PPC, +2 Heavy Gauss Rifle, sink 24). Can I shut off one heat sink to get an odd number?

Also, I'm going with an Alpha strike, since the nature of the water rules could cost me some weapons if the armor gets shredded and I need to jump into water.

Also I'm sending order in about ~one hour: (Run to 2317, fire all weapons sans the Medium Pulse Laser at the Ragnarok Beta, activate probe 3434 as contingency in case the Wild Weasel can't, or fails somehow. I don't think there are any unactivated probes on the map this turn).

If I'm doing something wrong, now's the time to speak. Sure, I can send revised orders, but only sending one message seems more considerate.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 30, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

thetruegentleman posted:

How would I even *get* 9 heat? If I fire everything, sans the Medium Pulse LAZER, I should have 8 heat remaining (+2 run, +30 PPC, +2 Heavy Gauss Rifle, sink 12). Can I shut off one heat sink to get an odd number?

Read a little further on in thread, there was a mixup on the hgr's heat, you should be walking a shorter distance for tsm instead

Phone postin atm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

thetruegentleman posted:

How would I even *get* 9 heat? If I fire everything, sans the Medium Pulse LAZER, I should have 8 heat remaining (+2 run, +30 PPC, +2 Heavy Gauss Rifle, sink 12). Can I shut off one heat sink to get an odd number?
You sink 24 heat, so your goal is to generate 33 heat in a round. 30 ppcs + 2 hgr + 1 walk = 33 heat -> TSM activates.

• Locked thread