Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

bitch aint air assault oorah rakkasaons :smug:

I started thinking about how air assault school probably shits on everyone who isn't qualified, no matter what they did

Then thought about Trump

Then thought about what if Trump wins and his face is framed and posted in every loving CO HQ and up across the entire globe

Holy gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Zeris posted:

I started thinking about how air assault school probably shits on everyone who isn't qualified, no matter what they did

Then thought about Trump

Then thought about what if Trump wins and his face is framed and posted in every loving CO HQ and up across the entire globe

Holy gently caress

oh my god

i wish i could have pushed my retirement a year or so, so I could get the fake signed letter from him

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

dude, if we go to war what if he pulls an Eisenhower and writes a letter to everyone in the military that's going to invade

"Hey guys Donald trump, just wanted to let you guys know that we're gonna do great, and i mean really great in this war. You guys are all wonderful people just like myself and trust me, I know what i'm doing in regards to this invasion. Now Hillary won't tell you this but I have LOTS of money and will make sure we make this country were invading is great again."

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Welp, my brother in law might be thinking of joining. gently caress.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Flikken posted:

Welp, my brother in law might be thinking of joining. gently caress.

Intervention

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

steer him towards a good job/officer type position so at least he can get something worthwhile rather than a bunch of green weenie stories

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
18X

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

MurderBot posted:

steer him towards a good job/officer type position so at least he can get something worthwhile rather than a bunch of green weenie stories

He's in his late 20's, married to my little sis and has 2 kids. I am going to try and talk him out of this, especially since he's thinking guard/reserve.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Flikken posted:

He's in his late 20's, married to my little sis and has 2 kids. I am going to try and talk him out of this, especially since he's thinking guard/reserve.

oh, lol yeah gently caress that

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

MurderBot posted:

oh, lol yeah gently caress that

He's a store manager at an autoparts store and has been working in management at various autoparts stores and shops for the last 5+ years. He wants to get his Diesel Technician certification, and I think this is probably one of the worst ways to go.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

tell him to do it

pain is the greatest teacher

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
gently caress 'em, just a brother in law

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
24 hour staff duty shifts and having to work the next day are my favorite part about being in the army.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Mustang posted:

24 hour staff duty shifts and having to work the next day are my favorite part about being in the army.

SHUT THE gently caress UP

every SDO i saw just showed up once a night MAYBE but never were actually ON DUTY or anything

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

SHUT THE gently caress UP

every SDO i saw just showed up once a night MAYBE but never were actually ON DUTY or anything

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
oh look at me i'm a drunk 2lt I hope you're not sleeping staff sergeant :grin:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Not a lot, 2 rounds of checking to make sure some locks are still locked and no rioting in the barracks then reading a book or tindering in the office until work starts.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I had an SDO once that chewed me out for not jumping up and yelling "at ease" every time he came in the room. Including 4 AM

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

That's dumb. I'd hope someone would just put me out my misery if I ever became that uptight about the army

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Vasudus posted:

redleg express yo

bring me my mail

gently caress you for making me remember the post invasion mail fuckery. Almost burned those containers down rather than wade through all the unprocessed poo poo those assholes just sat on for months.

Plus side of dismounting as arty, my gun section found the beer factory. Really gotta focus on the positives...

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
that's what 1AR did when they relieved us

they just burned everything in the personnel containers

like 6800 people lost most of their awards earned in-theater, maybe half of them got the paperwork regenerated?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vasudus posted:

that's what 1AR did when they relieved us

they just burned everything in the personnel containers

like 6800 people lost most of their awards earned in-theater, maybe half of them got the paperwork regenerated?

People should be executed for poo poo like that

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
My favorite SDO story is from when I had just gotten to my unit.

SDO shifts were pretty lax. Like HCT says, you would show up (or even just call) like twice a day. Half of the time you could get away with just leaving your number with the NCO on duty the night before and forget about it. It was easy.

One of my fellow LTs thought it would be a great idea that since his Saturday was quasi-ruined anyway as the SDO, he might as well get some personal stuff done. He decided to detail his nasty truck right in front of the battalion's main building, which was facing a fairly busy street within the base. Anyhow, he's got his tunes going, jacket off, no cover, scrubbing away on his Tahoe, or whatever, and guess who happens to pull up to check on how things are going? The battalion loving commander. The commander proceeds to chew out the LT for bringing irreparable shame upon himself, his unit and the U.S. Army for washing his car during his SDO shift (can't have the rest of Fort Campbell think the that his precious battalion wasn't AIRBORNE loving RANGER 24/7 HOOAH at all times).

We all come to work that following Monday and my CO pulls me and the other LTs into his office (Car Wash LT was in my company) and tells us in no-uncertain-terms that we are not to do anything that isn't explicitly in the SDO guidance book, that the BN CDR is pissed (he was an rear end in a top hat anyway) and that the rest of the BN's LTs were getting the same spiel we are. As punishment, Car Wash LT is going to have to work the SDO shift again next weekend.

We all say fine, give Car Wash LT a healthy amount of poo poo, and move on.

Next weekend comes around and it's time for Car Wash LT to pull his punishment SDO shift. Repentant, but not deterred from finishing the car-detailing job he was unable to complete last weekend, the LT does some mental math. The guidance for SDOs was to do some random inspections around the battalion's AO (motorpool, barracks, etc.). He figures, he'll go do that boring poo poo and then take care of his nasty truck. "I'm not washing it in front of the battalion HQ this time." he thinks. "I'll be fine just getting it cleaned up at the car wash." So, he pulls into the car wash on base, runs his truck through it, and is getting ready to use the complimentary vacuums when a car violently pulls up next to him. He looks up from picking crud off of his dashboard to the sight of a red-faced and livid battalion commander.

The commander proceeds to lose his loving mind on the LT, thinking that this dumb son of a bitch is mocking his command authority and doesn't give a flying gently caress.

We come in on Monday and the rear end in a top hat BN CDR calls an all-hands officer-only meeting (I'm shocked he didn't call us all in during the weekend) and proceeds to verbally abuse his staff and commanders for being pieces of human poo poo. We get released and find out that Car Wash LT has to work SDO shifts for a month straight and forever-more the SDO shift will now be a gigantic pain in the dick for the rest of us.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
SDO at an old unit was super chill for LTs and CPTs. Then 3 loving LTs no-show back to back on a Friday-Sunday.

Starting the next weekend BDE staff duty was a 24 hour on-site shift where the NCO did some minor checks and the officer had to walk for a solid 3.5-4.5 hours for each of the 3 rounds of checks if they actually did all the checks. They spot checked enough for it to be a bad idea not to do checks.

BN Cdr didn't like the idea of BN staff duty officers having the next day off. It was a 24 hour duty with a cot in the corner and you were instructed to log 4 hours of sleep then work the next day. An LT got a stern talking to when he logged a bit over 6 hours of sleep.

We hated the LTs who no-showed. A lot. NCOs thought that poo poo was funny, as well they should have.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I had kind of a WTF moment after a 12 hour overnight SDO shift during AT. SDNCO is a disgrunted E5, and my runner was a fairly fresh E2 or E3 I think. I kept a cot next to the desk and told the runner to wake me up if anything happened- phone ringing, radio calls aside from checks, building on fire, etc. Anyways disgruntled E5 waits about 15 minutes after I fall asleep and tells the runner he's going to check on the barracks and never comes back. Nothing else comes up during the night and my alarm wakes me up around dawn-ish. I look around and ask the runner where SGT so-and-so went.

:downs: He went to the barracks around 2 AM to check on it and never came back

:what: Why didn't you wake me up when he was gone too long?

:downs: I was scared to wake you.

:ughh:

Turns out the NCO was done with the Army. He peaced out to the barracks to get his stuff, stole an LMTV, and drove back to his home armory. It turned out with couldn't charge him with stealing the truck since technically it was just moved from one military facility to another by a soldier on AT orders. Dude just got chaptered, and the runner got a talking to that this is exactly the kind of poo poo you should wake the SDO up for.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Pesticide20 posted:

People should be executed for poo poo like that

Considering that back then most people would fill out a form in FORMFLOW, print it, then send it to S1 without maintaining any backups yeah.

Tons of poo poo got lost. Promotions, awards, article 15s, whatever. They torched like three containers of poo poo.

benem
Feb 15, 2012
LT in my unit in Korea decided to take a break from his SDO shift at Camp Hovey and swing off post for dinner. In Uijeongbu, a 30 minute drive away.

Proceeds to get shithammered over the course of the next couple hours and eventually realizes that he's dangerously close to missing the 0100 curfew, to say nothing of his notional SDO duties. While rushing back to Hovey, he runs a red light and plows into a cab. The cops arrive to find the cab driver beating the poo poo out of the drunk, bloodied LT. His BAC at the hospital was something absurdly high, like 0.24. (No one in the crash was seriously hurt)

SDO guidance was then refined to prohibit basically anything except sitting behind the desk and doing checks. Commander would regularly drop by and skull drag the SDO for sleeping/reading/eating/working/using a cellphone, or allowing the NCO and runners to do any of the above.

And of course the DUI LT was prohibited from pulling duty.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Hey honey, you'll love my new license plates!

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

A Bad Poster posted:

Hey honey, you'll love my new license plates!

More like "Cow Wife" I bet

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Staff Duty stories? I have one hell of a weekend from the 82d.

During SD and CQ there was no loving sleeping. Ever. Well, one day the Division Commander comes by to my sister BN (325 AIR) and finds the CQ NCO and the runner nodded the gently caress out. The DivCMDR wakes the NCO and says that he would like to check the Barracks. The NCO asks the General who the gently caress he is rolling in to the CQ in civvies and why he wants to check the Barracks. The General gives this fine NCO his ID, to which the Sergeant checks, and then goes back to loving sleep.
The General walks through the Barracks, and finds two NCOs playing Russian Roulette. Tons of underage drinking and whores in the Barracks.
He checks some other Batts, and finds a tons more fuckery. The clincher for this Friday was at another unit (I think it was the Panthers or DIVARTY) a kid on suicide watch was given a can of fuel and told to refill the Humvee out front. The CQ NCO and Runner think nothing of it.

The kid set himself on fire. Like no poo poo, set himself on fire.
All of this, along with a ton of DUIs and (IIRC) three motorcycle fatalities in 30 hours.

It was a fun couple weeks at Bragg.

Once I was the runner on Regimental SD and when the Commander came in, I stood to call At Ease, and the Colonel told me, "Shut the gently caress up. I am trying to sneak in here and ghost out. Don't call at ease, don't notify the SD NCO, and sure as gently caress don't put out the flag. Put it out right before you get relieved, and tell them I am in my office."

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
One time I got wasted in the barracks with three squadmates and we antagonized the staff duty guys. Well that's my story hope you enjoyed.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Here's my story: in Germany I somehow skated by never doing staff duty or CQ. My name just never showed up on the list :shrug:

I did CQ once at Lewis.

smdftb, army.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
gently caress you if you got to sleep on duty. gently caress you if you got duty recovery. gently caress you if you ever stood duty

stupid bitch

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

if you didn't take turns sleeping in your rooms doing "barracks checks" while the other person watched movies on their laptop then what the gently caress kind of enlistedman are you

some savvy troopers even brought their TVs down to the ready area/cages and set up a veritable living room

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Never did SD or CQ on active. Had it a bunch during AIT.

Pulled a bunch of SOCOM guard bs though

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

SD stories, yay!

I ended up working a Saturday to cover the KU Football team coming on post to check out some dumb army thing (I think it was combatives) on Saturday, which ended up taking most of the day. When I get back to the Barracks, my SSG calls me up and tells me that I have to take his SD shift on Sunday, but I'll get Monday off in return. Spend most of the night editing photos and getting stuff ready for release.

Go through the whole shift on Sunday, went through a four-pack of redbull, a pitcher of coffee and assorted lickies and chewies to stay awake. Get visits by the CSM, Company command and Battalion command. Thankfully, no drunk van calls.

Finally end shift and I have to go do my RFI draw, including being voluntold to take a class on how to disassemble/reassemble the IOTV so I can teach the company. On about 50 hours of no sleep.

Never did get that Monday off.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

You're a Quebec? I thought we had 3 Romeos in here for a second.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

SD stories continue.

SDO comes in to grab me and we go on the barracks check. Only guy to ever grab the NCO for this, but he wanted to do it. So we start walking the foot print when a fire truck and ambulance come through sirens blaring. Of course I had just said something to the effect of, "at least nothing is on fire tonight". Lo and behold, a barracks has a fire. The LT looks at me, I look at the building number. Different BDE. Victory.

He even asked if we needed to call anyone. Silly LT.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
an NCO at Jackson died after the two mile run.

sounds like he literally did not have the heart for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Soulex posted:

You're a Quebec? I thought we had 3 Romeos in here for a second.

These days you have to be both. 46S, represent!

gently caress sequestration.

• Locked thread