Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Falken posted:

I feel a bit dirty using the wonder trade. Bagged a Vulpix, Eeevee, Pichu, Loudred, Growlithe, Absol etc.

What did you throw in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Well, at least you can get Arceus next month.

Yeah im pretty happy with whats still coming. Is there any way to reset their levels? almost all are 600 base or below which is my limit for using in the main game, wouldnt mind a playthrough with keldeo, shaymin or meloetta on my team.

Falken posted:

I feel a bit dirty using the wonder trade. Bagged a Vulpix, Eeevee, Pichu, Loudred, Growlithe, Absol etc.

Meh those are all easy enough to get if you want them, Ive given away rotoms, spiritombs and zoroas through it cause i had a bunch in my breeding box. I even sent a heatran cause i had two spares for some reason.

BIG PUFFY NIPS fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 30, 2016

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

GlitchThief posted:

I know an NPC says this, and it embraces the themes of the franchise, but is it even remotely viable? I'm asking because I'm playing Pokemon Red with Squirtle as my starter and I really want to keep it and Vaporeon on my team.

You can play the main game with any Pokemon your heart desires.

I had both Vaporeon and Lapras on my team when I first played Firered.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

GlitchThief posted:

I know an NPC says this, and it embraces the themes of the franchise, but is it even remotely viable? I'm asking because I'm playing Pokemon Red with Squirtle as my starter and I really want to keep it and Vaporeon on my team.

Viable in what way? You probably won't win every match you play unless you evaluate your team based on what's strong and popular but you can do okay with the Pokemon you like if you think about what you're doing and find them good partners and stuff.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

GlitchThief posted:

It's just her excuse to not use Sneasel and Tyranitar even though she's supposed to be the dark type trainer. Freakin' Vileplume...

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

This is a crazy question but does anyone have a spare Mew code? My best bud just picked up Y after getting into Go. Prior to that he hadn't touched a Pokémon game since 1999, a Mew code would be a fun way to tell him "Welcome Back".

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

A Magical Lamp posted:

What if mega Kangaskhan is my favourite

Then you're seeing it as your favourite, not as strong, and therefore it's perfectly fine.

GlitchThief posted:

I've done two monotype runs (B2W2 with Fire, OR with Grass). In-game, you can do whatever the hell you wish and it'll work, hell, I find Pokemon super boring if I'm not putting at least some challenge clauses like that. Don't try that in competitive though, that's a whole other beast.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

GlitchThief posted:

Pokemon is not a difficult videogame and you'll probably be able to make it through just by picking your favourites even if they're not very strong.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

you can probably get through the game with just that squirtle if you try hard enough

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

GlitchThief posted:

It won't fly in competitive multiplayer, but the number of pokemon who are incapable of performing satisfactorily in the campaign are like, three out of seven hundred, and I don't think any of them are even in gen 1. These are not difficult games. Blastoise and Vaporeon alone can probably get you to the end all by themselves if you want.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

It won't fly in competitive multiplayer, but the number of pokemon who are incapable of performing satisfactorily in the campaign are like, three out of seven hundred, and I don't think any of them are even in gen 1. These are not difficult games. Blastoise and Vaporeon alone can probably get you to the end all by themselves if you want.

Wait, who are the three?

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

GlitchThief posted:

Don't listen to anyone who says you have to evolve your starter to win with it. That Squirtle will do just fine.

Fritzler posted:

Wait, who are the three?

Unevolved Kakuna, Metapod and Magikarp I guess. Feebas too? I forget if that learns any moves.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Fritzler posted:

Wait, who are the three?

I'm going to guess wild caught Kakuna/Metapod that you don't evolve (all they'll ever know is Harden), Unown, and Kricketot

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fritzler posted:

Wait, who are the three?

I would say Unown for obvious reasons, and I think that Ledian can't really pull its weight, and the one thing that Luvdisc does well is rarely viable due to its fraily. These pokemon are good for reasons other than their strength, which is extremely poor.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

GlitchThief posted:

it is, mostly. There are a few garbage mons that will faint all the time if you use them, but the number is far fewer than some people think. It's really a matter of patience, especially in the modern games with reusable TMs, the physical/special split, and improved movesets.

still lovely:
gimmicks like Castform. IT IS CUTE BUT NOT WORTH YOUR BOTHER.
Farfetch'd
defensive-oriented Ice types lol
Larvesta, surprisingly
Ledian
Luvdisc
Sunkern - if you don't already have a Sun Stone, don't bother
Slakoth - uuuuuuggh that ability, and the fact if you want to keep using it you have to keep it as a Vigoroth forever. it's just...getting to Vigoroth is tedious, and having to evolution cancel every level or have it hold an Everstone, just ugh.
Hoppip - oh god you are so cute why are you so useless you lil' thing? :smith:

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Spatula City posted:

try evolving it

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I for one am excited for 3D remakes to cycle back around, because I probably put a thousand hours into Silver version and I want to experience Johto in 3D.

The carts on amazon are $83+ for Soul Silver. A little outside my price range. I want to run around solving crimes with my good friend Lance.

Also mega Gyarados is weird, he should have just been a longer dragon.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Spatula City posted:

it is, mostly. There are a few garbage mons that will faint all the time if you use them, but the number is far fewer than some people think. It's really a matter of patience, especially in the modern games with reusable TMs, the physical/special split, and improved movesets.

still lovely:
Larvesta, surprisingly
Sunkern - if you don't already have a Sun Stone, don't bother
Slakoth - uuuuuuggh that ability, and the fact if you want to keep using it you have to keep it as a Vigoroth forever. it's just...getting to Vigoroth is tedious, and having to evolution cancel every level or have it hold an Everstone, just ugh.

Guys why are these unevolved pokemon not good?

Also Slaking's actually super good.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Spatula City posted:

You can run doubles gimmicks with Slaking to make it competitive by giving it abilities like Protean. If your skill swapper manages to survive the first turn then you can swap Truant onto their pokemon! You're really underestimating it. Also Regice is good.

Edit: Also Slaking makes the best HM bitch because it can learn pretty much all of them and when poo poo hits the fan you can bring out a pokemon with stats better than most legendaries for a STAB Strength.

A Magical Lamp fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 30, 2016

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Slaking is absolutely capable of being effective in the campaign.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Is there a thread for the Pokémon TCG(O) anywhere on the forums? Been getting super into it lately.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Granbar posted:

Is there a thread for the Pokémon TCG(O) anywhere on the forums? Been getting super into it lately.

there used to be but i think it's dead and archived now. i'll allow you to talk about it in this thread.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Granbar posted:

It's in Trad Games

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762238

I never thought I'd be breeding for a good IV spread on a Pidgey. Mega evolution is a beautiful thing.

A Magical Lamp fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 30, 2016

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Spatula City posted:

still lovely:

Larvesta, surprisingly

In my BW fire-only run Larvesta with acrobatics was a carry through the E4 and Ghetsis

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I still have no clue why Kricketot can't learn any TMs. In fact apparently almost all the early game bugs (Caterpie, Weedle, Wurmple, Scatterbug, Burmy) are incapable of learning moves through TM. Also Beldum and Tynamo for some reason. Smeargle/Ditto/Wobbuffett/Wynaut/Unown/Magikarp not being able to learn TMs makes sense due to their gimmicks.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Slaking is a beast in campaign. The turn loss sucks but it's nothing lots of Lemonade and Revives can't bring you back from. And then you use STAB Giga Impact

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

After that video yesterday reminded me how okay I am with the karp, I've gone and added one to my team.

Punch Monkey and Ninja Frog have now been joined by Lv 100 shiny Karp Fish.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Kricketune is the best bug pokemon by the way.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I still have no clue why Kricketot can't learn any TMs. In fact apparently almost all the early game bugs (Caterpie, Weedle, Wurmple, Scatterbug, Burmy) are incapable of learning moves through TM. Also Beldum and Tynamo for some reason. Smeargle/Ditto/Wobbuffett/Wynaut/Unown/Magikarp not being able to learn TMs makes sense due to their gimmicks.

Beldum and Tynamo are unable to learn TMs due to the same reason that Magikarp isn't able to: They're hard to raise but the payoff is worth the effort. Also Tynamo doesn't have traditional weaknesses as its ability cancels out its type's only weakness.

In a sense, the bugs are also in this same category, but by the time TMs become regularly available to you, it becomes incredibly easy to raise these bugs to their fully evolved form and even they are outclassed by other monsters already.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I carried a Larvesta through most of Gen 6 single player, no problems at all. i think it finally evolved around the 8th gym or later then proceeded to curbstomp everything.

I also used a Farfetch'd in gen 1, even he can manage. Basically you can use almost anything in pokemon single player, maybe even unown.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
A single unown with Ghost hidden power sounds very impossible.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

early game bugs are largely intended to be an introduction to evolution

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

when i was a child and i first played pokemon silver i caught an unown and i raised it for a while because it looked cool, and i assumed it would eventually evolve or learn something else

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

sharrrk posted:

when i was a child and i first played pokemon silver i caught an unown and i raised it for a while because it looked cool, and i assumed it would eventually evolve or learn something else

same :smith:

"it's totally gonna be awesome later, just like my friend magikarp!"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Spatula City posted:

In OR/AS it gets Focus Punch at 37 and evolves at 36 so you only have to cancel once.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Dabir posted:

In OR/AS it gets Focus Punch at 37 and evolves at 36 so you only have to cancel once.

I've never really got Focus Punch. It seems to require good prediction to use, and having a Pokemon that attacks only every other turn makes it even less useful. If Norman's Slaking didn't have such a terrible set-up, it'd be hack-level difficult, rather than just irritating and requiring trickery, switching, and a lot of healing items. am I missing something?
no, I really meant that since Vigoroth DOESN'T have Truant, and has usable stats (base 90 speed, base 80 HP/Attack/Defense).

also Kricketune is indeed The Best, and considering Kricketot evolves at level 10 and you can catch it at level 5 or 6 in DPP around Oreburgh. plus if you get lucky with clever use of Bide, you can gain a ton of experience at once. while Kricketune is not super-strong, it is DAPPER AS gently caress and learns what it needs to learn. you give it Slash/X-Scissor/Sing and then take your pick of Swords Dance for boosting or Brick Break/Aerial Ace/Night Slash for some coverage. It's an example of a weak Pokemon saved by a good movepool/TM pool.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Blackheart posted:

same :smith:

"it's totally gonna be awesome later, just like my friend magikarp!"

unown really should have some stupid gimmick ability tied to them if theyre going to only give them one move. maybe something like they grow stronger the more you have of them in your party. or maybe spelling out certain words with them makes them stronger. idk something stupid but fun

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

no cussing, of course. and definitely do NOT spell gordo with them

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

-Fish- posted:

This is a crazy question but does anyone have a spare Mew code? My best bud just picked up Y after getting into Go. Prior to that he hadn't touched a Pokémon game since 1999, a Mew code would be a fun way to tell him "Welcome Back".

I think I do somewhere, but I think they stopped working... I'll double check in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Spatula City posted:

I've never really got Focus Punch. It seems to require good prediction to use, and having a Pokemon that attacks only every other turn makes it even less useful. If Norman's Slaking didn't have such a terrible set-up, it'd be hack-level difficult, rather than just irritating and requiring trickery, switching, and a lot of healing items. am I missing something?
no, I really meant that since Vigoroth DOESN'T have Truant, and has usable stats (base 90 speed, base 80 HP/Attack/Defense).

also Kricketune is indeed The Best, and considering Kricketot evolves at level 10 and you can catch it at level 5 or 6 in DPP around Oreburgh. plus if you get lucky with clever use of Bide, you can gain a ton of experience at once. while Kricketune is not super-strong, it is DAPPER AS gently caress and learns what it needs to learn. you give it Slash/X-Scissor/Sing and then take your pick of Swords Dance for boosting or Brick Break/Aerial Ace/Night Slash for some coverage. It's an example of a weak Pokemon saved by a good movepool/TM pool.

You have to predict really well with Slaking *anyway*, so Focus Punch's disadvantage isn't a loss. And the alternative is what, Brick Break?

• Locked thread