Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

what makes breaking standard difficult? what are the problems inherent in breaking the tuesday release standard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Hamsterlady posted:

They release on Sunday a lot too. Or did at least, I'm not sure if they've done Sunday releases recently.

I can't remember the last game in general that was released on Sunday, let alone for NIntendo.

ninjewtsu posted:

what makes breaking standard difficult? what are the problems inherent in breaking the tuesday release standard?

Trucks don't work on weekends, items ship on monday. You don't gently caress with walmart/Target/etc. because they are still where major console games make a large sum of their profits.

Same thing with Friday releases. Trucks don't work on weekends.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

why are there specific video game days

It's a distribution constraint

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

Trucks don't work on weekends, items ship on monday. You don't gently caress with walmart/Target/etc. because they are still where major console games make a large sum of their profits.

Same thing with Friday releases. Trucks don't work on weekends.

this makes sense, thanks

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Tae posted:

I can't remember the last game in general that was released on Sunday, let alone for NIntendo.

The last Nintendo game I bought on release day was in 2013, so they probably moved to Friday since then and I never noticed.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The music industry just this year finally officially abandoned the Tuesday release and switched to Friday because nobody on the planet buys CDs anymore. Video games still get a lot of physical sales so it's still Tuesday

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

ninjewtsu posted:

why are there specific video game days

It's a holdover from Sonic 2. Before then, games just sorta showed up in shops whenever the retailer got hold of them. Sega decided that every store should get Sonic 2 at the same time (coordinated releases were pretty much unheard of back then), and marketed the release date as Sonic 2sday.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Saigyouji posted:

It's a holdover from Sonic 2. Before then, games just sorta showed up in shops whenever the retailer got hold of them. Sega decided that every store should get Sonic 2 at the same time (coordinated releases were pretty much unheard of back then), and marketed the release date as Sonic 2sday.

Huh I never knew that. So sonic 2 is the Jaws of video games

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Not to mention there's probably a lot to be said for worker and in-store logistics stuff making it better to designate one day for it all.

"Okay, today's our designated new stock day, put everything new on the shelves, make the new labels, etc etc" and that sort of thing.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

movies come out on thursdays now

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Does the chocobo racing "cheat" still work in the PS4 version of FF7? It seems like no matter what I do, even after many sylkis greens, I'm still getting my rear end handed to me in A-class races due to the competitors all suddenly having a burst of stamina at the end. Is it different since L2/R2 is a trigger now and not a button, or is it just gone altogether and I need to Git Gud?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
last night i went back to working my way through 7 for the first time and yo gently caress the part where you have to sneak into the parade

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

last night i went back to working my way through 7 for the first time and yo gently caress the part where you have to sneak into the parade

I think I've done well in that bit exactly once, loving it up is basically part of the joke.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Pretty much as long as you don't screw up the demonstration outside the boat and nail the victory pose then you'll get the Force Stealer and that's the most important thing.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Shoren posted:

Pretty much as long as you don't screw up the demonstration outside the boat and nail the victory pose then you'll get the Force Stealer and that's the most important thing.

i screwed that up too

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

I think I've done well in that bit exactly once, loving it up is basically part of the joke.

What's wrong with that guy?! Send him a bomb or something!!!

You received: Grenade.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

i screwed that up too

You are Literally The Worst.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbfCL-asgUY

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I don't now what this is

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's square's new rpg IP.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

I don't now what this is

it's anime, short for 'japanese animation'

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Shoren posted:

You are Literally The Worst.

I'm real bad at those segments in everything and I feel like 7 has more of them than normal

And no chance to redo

Like at least in the play in 9 you could redo it

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

I'm real bad at those segments in everything and I feel like 7 has more of them than normal

And no chance to redo

Like at least in the play in 9 you could redo it

As long as you know it's coming you can save in Junon before you have to do it. I always suck at the parade part, but I think following the button inputs is doable with a little practice.

I think the play in FF9 is tougher overall, not even trying to impress all 100 nobles, although it definitely helps to be able to retry more easily.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Shoren posted:

As long as you know it's coming you can save in Junon before you have to do it. I always suck at the parade part, but I think following the button inputs is doable with a little practice.

I think the play in FF9 is tougher overall, not even trying to impress all 100 nobles, although it definitely helps to be able to retry more easily.

If you do that you still have to redo jumping the dolphin up to the platform and getting into formation

It's dumb

I'm enjoying 7 for its willingness to just do whatever the gently caress and gently caress the haters but man

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

If you do that you still have to redo jumping the dolphin up to the platform

Just press circle/OK twice.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

If you do that you still have to redo jumping the dolphin up to the platform and getting into formation

It's dumb

I'm enjoying 7 for its willingness to just do whatever the gently caress and gently caress the haters but man

Edit: talking about entirely the wrong thing! The parade isn't as big of a deal as the part before the boat so it's best not to stress about it. You're right that FF7 does a lot of rather strange things, I figure they were just experimenting with everything they could do on the PS1 compared to the SNES.

Shoren fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 29, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Shoren posted:

Edit: talking about entirely the wrong thing! The parade isn't as big of a deal as the part before the boat so it's best not to stress about it. You're right that FF7 does a lot of rather strange things, I figure they were just experimenting with everything they could do on the PS1 compared to the SNES.

Playing through it for the first time there's a lot of really interesting ideas and it's neat to see them just hurl things at the wall but the number of dopey timing games and the lack of save points before them or easy way to redo them is bad

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Pretty sure you can save in the hallway after jumping up to Junon, just before having to run out toward the parade.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You also don't need to actually do well at any of the minigames, they're just goofy side shows

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
The townsfolk dialogue in FFXII's chop collection quest is so joyfully overwrought that I'm assuming it's a parody of similar dialogue in RPGs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Shoren posted:

Those weird minigames pretty much continue on for 8, 9, and 10 though. I don't mind most of them so much as they're distractions and the ones that aren't optional can be brute forced through easily enough. It's kinda dumb for 10 to lock end-game weapons behind them since the minigames are mostly terrible, but then again 8's can break the game in half thirty minutes or so in.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Those dumb minigames were actually rad as hell

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

snoremac posted:

The townsfolk dialogue in FFXII's chop collection quest is so joyfully overwrought that I'm assuming it's a parody of similar dialogue in RPGs.

with ff12 just assume anything at all good is accidental

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

corn in the bible posted:

with ff12 just assume anything at all good is accidental

this sounds harsh but is true

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

balthier, fuckers

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
It's probably my favourite of the series based on what I've played. I think the cutscene dialogue is a step above the rest, which is why the arch writing in Archades feels like a joke.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Too bad they recorded all of that dialogue with two tin cans tied together.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
They didn't even have a VA for Jules. In fact after the first brief cutscene as they enter the city there isn't any VAing at all til you get to Draklor.

It's not the only place (I mean none of Reddas' henchmen have any voiced lines either), but the amount of VAing in the game overall definitely drops in comparison to X or XIII.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Has there been any concrete word on a home port of the new Dissidia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

ApplesandOranges posted:

They didn't even have a VA for Jules. In fact after the first brief cutscene as they enter the city there isn't any VAing at all til you get to Draklor.

It's not the only place (I mean none of Reddas' henchmen have any voiced lines either), but the amount of VAing in the game overall definitely drops in comparison to X or XIII.

I'm not basing this on any sort of fact, but I wonder if those sections of the game were some of the last to be done since they were trying to rush it out the door. That would explain the lack of VO, possibly.