Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

That looks a bit better than the photoshop, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Shame they seem to have tripled down on the basketball texture.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The 4 yellow tabs on the shield make it look super cheap.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It definitely looks better there.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

To be fair, that can be color corrected in post. These are set shots and who knows what the camera settings were or how they were adjusted before uploading.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

ToastyPotato posted:

That looks a bit better than the photoshop, imo.

100% agree, I think it looks a lot better

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The cape fastenings are throwing me a little, but they probably wanted to do something to make it distinct from the movie suit.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The events of The Avengers caused a split timeline, one where the movies take place and one where the shows take place. Some of the movie stuff may still be happening in the TV show universe but may not be exactly the same. There, simple.

Gaz-L posted:

The cape fastenings are throwing me a little, but they probably wanted to do something to make it distinct from the movie suit.
They were probably required to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

That's my favorite part of the suit.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Clark and Jimmy.

:xd:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Well that is just goddamned hilarious. I mean it is kind of bad, but hilarious.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
"He can't be Superman, Perry. Superman's at least 2 inches taller than Jimmy! Because he floats 6 inches off the ground"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Jimmy's pal, Clark Kent.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I thought Jimmy was a white CIA agent who was killed in the line of duty in Africa? Now he's Kareem Abdul-Jabbar?

I also heard rumors that he used to work at a newspaper, but not sure if that is true.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Not superman movie but supergirl tv show

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I thought Jimmy was a white CIA agent who was killed in the line of duty in Africa? Now he's Kareem Abdul-Jabbar?

I also heard rumors that he used to work at a newspaper, but not sure if that is true.

Huh, so WB thinking people might confuse the movie and tv universes really is founded in reality.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

To be fair, that can be color corrected in post. These are set shots and who knows what the camera settings were or how they were adjusted before uploading.
True, but otoh, TV budgets. I remember when Linda Hamilton was on Chuck, and they used some kind of absurd blurring on her face, because she apparently looked to old or some poo poo.

I'm sure some decent lighting can fix Supes somewhat, but it's just very jarring at first glance.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bruceski posted:

Jimmy's pal, Clark Kent.

To be fair, Mehcad Brooks towers over every character.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mortanis posted:

Huh, so WB thinking people might confuse the movie and tv universes really is founded in reality.

I'm just joshin' because WB seems really focused on keeping all the Superman characters in a fairly tight orbit around their source versions on both the TV shows and the movies. Jimmy Olsen is the only one who has swung wildly to different characterizations in just a year. He went from short and plucky young sidekick to grizzled CIA veteran who gets his head blown off to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

It's probably because they think he is ancillary and boring, but can't find a niche for him that works as a major character.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cardboard Box A posted:

The events of The Avengers caused a split timeline, one where the movies take place and one where the shows take place. Some of the movie stuff may still be happening in the TV show universe but may not be exactly the same. There, simple.
AoS is in the boringest timeline

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Endless Mike posted:

AoS is in the boringest timeline
AoS is pretty good.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

AoS is pretty good.

It's the only "superhero" show on tv I can watch without cringing or laughing inappropriately, that's for sure.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm just joshin' because WB seems really focused on keeping all the Superman characters in a fairly tight orbit around their source versions on both the TV shows and the movies. Jimmy Olsen is the only one who has swung wildly to different characterizations in just a year. He went from short and plucky young sidekick to grizzled CIA veteran who gets his head blown off to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

It's probably because they think he is ancillary and boring, but can't find a niche for him that works as a major character.

That casual racism of you calling Brooks Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is very annoying. Stop it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

wyntyr posted:

It's the only "superhero" show on tv I can watch without cringing or laughing inappropriately, that's for sure.

That's all you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cardboard Box A posted:

AoS is pretty good.

Please don't troll.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Cardboard Box A posted:

AoS is pretty good.

i agree. it is an enjoyable show

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
I like AoS as well

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I too have much more fun watching AoS than any of the CW DC shows other than iZombie. Its biggest crime is being a lot less fantastic compared to Flash or Arrow (no doubt thanks to the limitations imposed by working within the MCU), but they manage to avoid plenty of problematic elements that Flash and Arrow repeat ad infinitum, which I feel is much more important. That's not to say I don't have fun watching the Berlanti shows, but I enjoy those because of their heavy focus on the "hey it's this thing from the comics" that SHIELD is frequently criticized for avoiding.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Its biggest crime is incompetent plotting.

But it gets away with it because people are absurd apologists for the show for some reason.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

But it gets away with it because people are absurd apologists for the show for some reason.

Outside of Lash, it is a show that plays it very safe, which is why it seems so polarizing. Lot's of people find it bland or boring, but lot's of people like that sort of thing. I mean there are people who think the mildest seasonings are "spicy" and that Two Broke Girls is hilarious. I enjoy discussing at length the flaws in the CW shows, but apart from this past season, I have enjoyed them more than AoS because it always felt like they put more effort in remaining faithful to comics in general and felt more fun because of it. I think the Netflix shows definitely seem much more like that as well, though they are noticeably better than the CW shows so far.

Agent Carter generally had bland plots, but it was a show that rested on the back of a pretty great cast. Outside of Bobbi, Hunter, and Ward, all of the characters on AoS seem flat as gently caress and they tend to be saddled with the same kind of bland plotting that Carter struggled with. I hope the new direction improves the show, or else this season might be my last. Not because it is truly awful, but just because it's kind of boring for me. Ghost Rider definitely has my attention for now though.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Aphrodite posted:

I don't doubt that its fans are genuine but I think they might feel the need to overhype because the first season (which is the only time the show ever had widespread attention on it) was such a punching bag.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Probably AoS fans tend to get a bit overreactive because the criticism against it, after two fairly solid seasons, has gotten pretty over-the-top as well. It's not a perfect show but it's really ridiculous that it's still being painted out as the go-to TV punching bag here after the triple shitheap of Flash, Arrow, and Legends of Tomorrow this year (the last of which I don't even mind).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's what happens when you explicitly tie it into the movie franchise.

It's easily the worst thing in the MCU, besides the Dr. Strange trailers but I'm sure the movie will be better than those.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
you guys can hate AoS all you like. I like it, the CW shows, and Gotham. They are all fun popcorn watches.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
AoS had the disadvantage of having a first season that was really easy to get frustrated with, which fostered a bad first impression for a lot of people. Conversely, Arrow got a fair bit of leeway in its first season because there wasn't exactly much competition on the superhero telly front, then had an improved second season, while Flash had a pretty strong first season that created a lot of goodwill towards the show (granted, a lot of which seems to have been sapped by its sophomore slump).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Aphrodite posted:

That's what happens when you explicitly tie it into the movie franchise.

It's easily the worst thing in the MCU, besides the Dr. Strange trailers but I'm sure the movie will be better than those.

Eh, I like AoS more than Hulk and IM2

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
On a whim I decided to check out the Supergirl show and it's actually a lot better than i expected, but I just finished the episode where she and jonn convince her boss that she's not Supergirl and now I'm kinda really irked cuz they have a really good relationship going. Only halfway through though so maybe that'll change by the end.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Despite its many shortcomings, Supergirl ended up being the best of the DC superhero line up last season. Arrow was just a complete mess, Legends was several episodes too long and was a mess as well. Flash just fell apart at times, thought I felt like it was still better than the other two overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

site posted:

On a whim I decided to check out the Supergirl show and it's actually a lot better than i expected, but I just finished the episode where she and jonn convince her boss that she's not Supergirl and now I'm kinda really irked cuz they have a really good relationship going. Only halfway through though so maybe that'll change by the end.

You're irked *because* they have a good relationship going?