Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Run a redstone conduit up to your array, attach a conduit switch to the other end safe from explosions. Flip switch, hopefully array turns off and you're happily death-free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Ambaire posted:

That Mekanism POWER dimension I posted about doesn't load on server start and only loads when a player visits it for the first time after a server restart. I tried the personal map auto chunk loading and an MFR chunkloader and Neogeo0823 tried placing an admin anchor in the dimension but none of it worked.

Any ideas?

Ender quarry with a defined area but no power?

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Vib Rib posted:

I'll look into Rev3 then. I thought I remembered trying it but not seeing HQM. Will look again.

Actually while I'm at it, what's the best skyblock out right now? I haven't really set time into once since the first Agrarian Skies and I'm looking for one, preferably HQM if possible, to sink my teeth into there, too.
I started playing Dark Grid which is a grid skyblock map, which I'd never tried before - it has the upside of being 1.10 so lots of new mods and improvements, but the downside of me not knowing how most of them work and no quests to guide me through anything.

Rev3 doesn't have HQM, they swapped it out for Better Questing as part of the move from Rev 2 to 3, but haven't actually added any quests in yet.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Can somebody explain how to use Ender IOs insulated redstone conduits? I am running a line up to my boomtower--an array of TNT generators that I want to be able to shut down when I maintain them. Otherwise, I'll get ripped to pieces by the things because they fire out explosions all around them.

I vaguely recall I can shut off the TNT generators with a redstone signal. If that's incorrect then this will never work. Assuming I can, then what do I do with that conduit to have its state controlled from a lever?

hmm, when i set up a few tnt generators the explosions knocked me, but didnt cause damage.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Sage Grimm posted:

Run a redstone conduit up to your array, attach a conduit switch to the other end safe from explosions. Flip switch, hopefully array turns off and you're happily death-free.

The conduit switch definitely seems like the right thing to toggle them, but the generators don't stop from it. They apparently will stop due to redstone signals, but maybe they can't handle the channel thing. Is there a way not to use channels? Should I not use the insulated conduit?

Meskhenet posted:

hmm, when i set up a few tnt generators the explosions knocked me, but didnt cause damage.

They do nibble on me. While setting up a total of 12, I got down to half health with bronze armor on.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The conduit switch definitely seems like the right thing to toggle them, but the generators don't stop from it. They apparently will stop due to redstone signals, but maybe they can't handle the channel thing. Is there a way not to use channels? Should I not use the insulated conduit?

They do nibble on me. While setting up a total of 12, I got down to half health with bronze armor on.

weird, maybe it was because i turned mobgriefing off? but i coudl stand next to mine with no armour with no ill effects.

Im going through the lastest version and i have one major gripe.

You havent explained how to set waypoints. And you have some very specific blocks to walk on with no visible markers at all in order to hit the quests. (i walked in to the abandonded reactor building twice and never go the quest to click until i put in a way point to see where i needed to stand.0

So you either need visible markers for people to stand at or quests to set up the waypoints.

back with more as i go through it

edit: Anyone else getting block lag?

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 28, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What it sounds like from the wiki is the non-insulated version does not carry channels, so try switching to that instead?

pyrofreak421
Nov 25, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Have you tried messing with the strong connection setting? I've had blocks that won't play nicely until I've turned that on. Also for the sake of being thorough you might want to try a lever directly on the generator itself.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Do you guys enjoy the process of creating mods for this game? I've hated every second I've spent installing and troubleshooting them as a player. I can't imagine the cluster gently caress that is creating them. I hope whoever is making the sequel, official or copy cat, I pray they have a better system.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

FalloutGod posted:

Do you guys enjoy the process of creating mods for this game? I've hated every second I've spent installing and troubleshooting them as a player. I can't imagine the cluster gently caress that is creating them. I hope whoever is making the sequel, official or copy cat, I pray they have a better system.

I only did what I wanted for BFSR. It is pretty much just like my day job of wading through undocumented legacy code and poo poo salad, except that I don't get paid for it. Hence, I do it in small doses. It is easy enough to debug and verify things in one mod, but cross-mod shenanigans is really rough. I never really found a good way to do it, but I expect there is a method to it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

So you either need visible markers for people to stand at or quests to set up the waypoints.

edit: Anyone else getting block lag?
I will lay down some conspicuous blocks at the waypoints that should help. As for block lag, you are apparently not alone. I am fine on my desktop, but others have had some issues in the tutorial dimension. What I fear is that it's the NPCs. If so, I can't really do much about it if I want to maintain my grand, magnificent vision. However, that had the same latency as any other entity when I profiled them. It's occurred to me since the time I first heard about this that I could possibly try this on my work laptop, which is much underpowered.

mensrea
Mar 17, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What I fear is that it's the NPCs.

It's most likely the NPC's. I get tons of lag around them when they're in big groups or have their pathing set to random wandering. I wound up having to isolate the big towns in the end to avoid making the overworld unplayable. I just set up an "elevator"/NPC transporter to go between the towns and the overworld.

Also, unless it was fixed in the last couple bugfix updates, the NPC mod projectiles never really disappear. The entities remain where they land and cause lag forever. It was bad enough for the modder Lycanite to add a way to cull entities into the config for Lycanites mobs.

What version of the NPC mod are you running, by chance? It's up to 1.7.10c but he doesn't list the lettered updates on his website, only on curse.

On a lighter note, I have a modified copy of the archimedes airship mod that you might want to check out. I removed the speed limiters, added a config option for multiplying the move speed, and finally added a config option to change what it uses for fuel. I still need to test it to see if I can fly the ship into space. If it works then building your own spacecraft would be fun as hell, cause you can make those ships pretty big.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

mensrea posted:

It's most likely the NPC's. I get tons of lag around them when they're in big groups or have their pathing set to random wandering. I wound up having to isolate the big towns in the end to avoid making the overworld unplayable. I just set up an "elevator"/NPC transporter to go between the towns and the overworld.

Also, unless it was fixed in the last couple bugfix updates, the NPC mod projectiles never really disappear. The entities remain where they land and cause lag forever. It was bad enough for the modder Lycanite to add a way to cull entities into the config for Lycanites mobs.

What version of the NPC mod are you running, by chance? It's up to 1.7.10c but he doesn't list the lettered updates on his website, only on curse.

On a lighter note, I have a modified copy of the archimedes airship mod that you might want to check out. I removed the speed limiters, added a config option for multiplying the move speed, and finally added a config option to change what it uses for fuel. I still need to test it to see if I can fly the ship into space. If it works then building your own spacecraft would be fun as hell, cause you can make those ships pretty big.
If you're talking about Overworld villagers, that's one thing. I'm more concerned about the CustomNPCs in the tutorial dimension because that's so heavily incorporated into the theme of the pack now. If generic villagers are a problem, I'd assume people suffer that in other packs too.

My CustomNPCs is CustomNPCs_1.7.10d.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I will lay down some conspicuous blocks at the waypoints that should help. As for block lag, you are apparently not alone. I am fine on my desktop, but others have had some issues in the tutorial dimension. What I fear is that it's the NPCs. If so, I can't really do much about it if I want to maintain my grand, magnificent vision. However, that had the same latency as any other entity when I profiled them. It's occurred to me since the time I first heard about this that I could possibly try this on my work laptop, which is much underpowered.

I have no idea about the tutorial dimension, i didnt break anything there. This is once i hit the overworld. Havent tested it, but i think wood is even laggier than dirt if that is at all possible. (when mining it).

I havent encountered any npc's in the overworld, no village that i could see close by (but there is a nether portal a short way away that i can see.)

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
The hub world (an rftools dimension) for the new Disasterpiece Theater server is having some weird behavior for tick times. When someone is in the hub world, the tick times are normal around 8-12 but when no one is in the hub world, the tick times are ballooning to 150-200+. Has anyone encountered this before? The admins have already done a few 'run opis when noone is in hub then run around breaking all the laggy poo poo' runs... but the real question is why the gently caress should stuff eat more tick time when noone is in the dimension. Doesn't matter where one is in the dimension, just that a player is present.

Edit: No player present in dimension 11

And about 30 seconds later after I warped to the hub world and flew 500 blocks away from everything so it couldn't possibly be influenced by me. Except me being in the dimension.

Edit: And the lag source is, again, motherfucking advanced generator turbine controllers. Why. Why do they lag up the place when noone is in the loving dimension but are fine otherwise.

And thaumcraft runic matrixes...

This is the OPIS report from the sweep ran Tuesday.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 29, 2016

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

That sounds like what I was having problems with BFSR. If the tutorial dimension was loaded but I wasn't in it, I got awful block lag and the dimension's tps was crap.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

taiyoko posted:

That sounds like what I was having problems with BFSR. If the tutorial dimension was loaded but I wasn't in it, I got awful block lag and the dimension's tps was crap.

There is a spot loader tucked away that keeps a dimension builder running with a creative energy cell so that the RFTools dimensions I use don't drop dead. I thought I didn't need them if I used a creative dimension builder, but it looks like I still do have to deal with power. I got randomly killed going into the quest dimension while testing. But if you are curious about block lag, you can find the stuff going off the edge of the east side of the runway over at the space base.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
My internet has been down since Monday, FYI Minecraft stops letting you play offline after 3 days.

ImpactVector posted:

You should probably be running it as a server if you can anyway, even on the same computer, because that's the only way to get the game to use multiple processor cores. That way you can offload the world loading stuff to one core and have the UI/player stuff on another.

E: And yes, it can be a bit of a pain unless you can get a premade server download.

So with all my free time this week I sat down and got the 1.7.10 singleplayer/multiplayer world server thing going.
But sadly it was still fairly slow. I had server and game set up to a different processor but still it would take a few seconds for block updates and I got frequent disconnects.
This was with about 75 mods. Of course vanilla played fine but MC without mods is just boring.
Maybe dumping Biomes o Plenty, which I love but it may speed it up a bit.
I could maybe dump a few more mods like inventory tweaks but you'll have to pry my jetpack from my cold dead hands.

Also I finally got around to trying out Immersive Engineering's Excavator. Which was a huge pain to get the materials for and setup. I was hoping all that work would be worth it.
So after about a week or so of letting it run chunkloaded on a magnetite vein, the total was
55,238 iron
9,857 gold
Before any ore doubling/tripling. Waaay more than I thought it was going to be.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

OgNar posted:

My internet has been down since Monday, FYI Minecraft stops letting you play offline after 3 days.

Use your phone as a hotspot, just long enough to log onto minecraft.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

So last time I tried to do a minecraft thing I couldn't get it to work and gave up on it. This time I decided to just erase every minecraft and technic thing on my computer and reinstall. Now I've got this nonsense.

I have the latest version of Java. When I installed that, it said that there were earlier versions of Java that could not be uninstalled. That could be the problem, but I wouldn't kmow how to uninstall them. What do?

EDIT Whoops I forgot to get rid of my old minecraft launcher shortcut and I was trying to use that.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 30, 2016

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ambaire posted:

The hub world (an rftools dimension) for the new Disasterpiece Theater server is having some weird behavior for tick times. When someone is in the hub world, the tick times are normal around 8-12 but when no one is in the hub world, the tick times are ballooning to 150-200+. Has anyone encountered this before? The admins have already done a few 'run opis when noone is in hub then run around breaking all the laggy poo poo' runs... but the real question is why the gently caress should stuff eat more tick time when noone is in the dimension. Doesn't matter where one is in the dimension, just that a player is present.

Edit: No player present in dimension 11

And about 30 seconds later after I warped to the hub world and flew 500 blocks away from everything so it couldn't possibly be influenced by me. Except me being in the dimension.

Edit: And the lag source is, again, motherfucking advanced generator turbine controllers. Why. Why do they lag up the place when noone is in the loving dimension but are fine otherwise.

And thaumcraft runic matrixes...

This is the OPIS report from the sweep ran Tuesday.

The whole thread would like to know this. Is it some thing with RFTools dimensions? It's not always the advanced generators, but 9 times out of 10 so far it has been. When it's not, there's no single item type that really stands out as a lag maker. Aside from running Opis and storming back into the dim to break poo poo, I'm not sure what else to do. Are there any good fake player analogues we can use to make the game think there's someone in that dim all the time?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Quick update with BFSR: I'd quit messing with it a while back because of the tps/block lag issue as well as just not being in a minecraft-y mood. But upon updating both the full version and the beta to latest versions, I'm not getting the tps lag from the tutorial dimension while in the overworld. However...

Rogue nether portals still a thing in both versions.
ATG still acting wonky in the beta, always having a forest village in the overworld when you spawn.
Release version crashed when I created a new world with ATG, but subsequent reload worked fine, as did vanilla terrain gen. :iiam:

mensrea
Mar 17, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If you're talking about Overworld villagers, that's one thing. I'm more concerned about the CustomNPCs in the tutorial dimension because that's so heavily incorporated into the theme of the pack now. If generic villagers are a problem, I'd assume people suffer that in other packs too.

My CustomNPCs is CustomNPCs_1.7.10d.

My bad, I should have clarified that I was talking about Custom NPC NPC's, not the testificates. I would bet money that it is in fact the custom NPC's causing the lag in your tutorial dimension. It will be even worse if you have them set to randomly wander.

..and I was using 1.7.10d and didn't even know it. I'll be quiet now.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

OgNar posted:

What the gently caress? I never knew about this. Is that true? I'm not really okay with that.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

taiyoko posted:

Quick update with BFSR: I'd quit messing with it a while back because of the tps/block lag issue as well as just not being in a minecraft-y mood. But upon updating both the full version and the beta to latest versions, I'm not getting the tps lag from the tutorial dimension while in the overworld. However...

Rogue nether portals still a thing in both versions.
ATG still acting wonky in the beta, always having a forest village in the overworld when you spawn.
Release version crashed when I created a new world with ATG, but subsequent reload worked fine, as did vanilla terrain gen. :iiam:

The full version is the more up-to-date one now. I have figured out the problem with the rogue nether portals, but I have to aggressively test my fix before deploying it. I was using the built-in call to teleport players across dimensions, but it turns out that method call in Minecraft is the Nether teleportation code. That means it wants to drop in a nether portal whenever you teleport. I found out how to alternately do it, but it involves creating a mock teleporter class that generates no teleporter. It works in a standalone test, although the teleportation action is kind of jerky.

The village problem should be fixed too now, but there's a matter of diligence when I update the template. There are villages.dat files and the like that I have to remove from it. Otherwise, it transfers that data over to the terrain generator on new worlds and tries to insert the villages willy-nilly. It stores the original village altitude data, so that is why you'd see villages way up in the air or down in the ground.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

mensrea posted:

My bad, I should have clarified that I was talking about Custom NPC NPC's, not the testificates. I would bet money that it is in fact the custom NPC's causing the lag in your tutorial dimension. It will be even worse if you have them set to randomly wander.

..and I was using 1.7.10d and didn't even know it. I'll be quiet now.

Well, they at least don't wander.

I don't think I'll be able to do a laptop test this weekend. I'm hoping to just roll out the small tweaks and updates late on Sunday or something. However, I'm dealing with a new septic tank that is trying to fill my house with poo gas while hoping to host people too, so I'm going to be craaazy.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Ever wonder what thaumcraft outer lands maze looks like from the outside? It turns out awakened ichorium pick can break through the swirly void and bedrock and then the awakened draconium armor's toggled fly mode lets you fly despite it trying to deactivate it every half second.

E. You still need to open the boss room the usual way, since it's just an empty room until you use the tablet on the lock.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 30, 2016

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Rocko, I know this is a petty complaint, but can you please stop all the double and triple posting? You can quote more than one person per post.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

huh. if i hadn't adblocked the avatar i'd probably notice the multiposting more

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

What the gently caress? I never knew about this. Is that true? I'm not really okay with that.

Steam also does this. Though steam gives you more like 10 days.

I have had many internet woes over the past few years. Luckily many steam games can just run straight from the exe.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

poo poo like this is why, when you announce to the server that you're "doing an experiment", the first thing that comes to my mind is "OH gently caress EVERYONE DUCK AND COVER!!"

on voltz we used to alert the players to large World Edits - regen from antimatter etc, with a global "Purple Alert" broadcast

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

TheresaJayne posted:

on voltz we used to alert the players to large World Edits - regen from antimatter etc, with a global "Purple Alert" broadcast

I would love to be able to play a server wide klaxon before i run opis or whatever.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Hey what mod adds the little banners in the top left that announce if a chunk is claimed or wilderness? This is in the FTB 1.10.2 beta pack

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Xun posted:

Hey what mod adds the little banners in the top left that announce if a chunk is claimed or wilderness? This is in the FTB 1.10.2 beta pack

FTB Utilities

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Vib Rib posted:

Rocko, I know this is a petty complaint, but can you please stop all the double and triple posting? You can quote more than one person per post.

Whatever floats your boat. I'm often following the thread in bursts here and there with a response kind of in the oven, so something shows up after I'm well and done. I also got sensitive to some old yesteryear assitches people had about edited responses too.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

huh. if i hadn't adblocked the avatar i'd probably notice the multiposting more

:(

On to something productive: is there an RFtools modular storage analogue to an AE2 crafting terminal in 1.7.10? I saw an autocrafter, but that was for specific recipes. I was looking for something less involved to set up than an AE2 crafting terminal with a full-fledged AE2 rig. The modular storage system in RFtools has been looking pretty good except for that.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

On to something productive: is there an RFtools modular storage analogue to an AE2 crafting terminal in 1.7.10? I saw an autocrafter, but that was for specific recipes. I was looking for something less involved to set up than an AE2 crafting terminal with a full-fledged AE2 rig. The modular storage system in RFtools has been looking pretty good except for that.

EnderIO's Inventory Panel is the next best thing. It needs to be connected to inventories w/ Item Conduits with Remote Awareness upgrades. The conduits should be configured to retrieve from the panel and insert into the inventories so that the "return" slots in the panel send their contents somewhere.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Goncyn posted:

EnderIO's Inventory Panel is the next best thing. It needs to be connected to inventories w/ Item Conduits with Remote Awareness upgrades. The conduits should be configured to retrieve from the panel and insert into the inventories so that the "return" slots in the panel send their contents somewhere.
Is that in the beta? Has that been behaving well? I'm scared to deploy it to people if it has some goofy issues.

I have 1.7.10-2.2.8.381, which was a May stable release. None of that stuff is in that release. Ender IO's own Wiki page for it goes back to January, so I'm surprised it's still not in a stable release.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Thanks serifina! In other news, anyone got experience with RFTools dimensions in 1.10? Do I reaaallyy need to walk thousands of blocks towards a rare biome if I want to make a dimlet of it? Cant seem to figure out the random dimension thing since I made one, it has a jungle biome with floating islands but hitting extract doesn't do poo poo.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I use EnderIO-1.7.10-2.3.0.428_beta and just hook it up to Storage drawers. Works great and you only need 2 of the awareness upgrades besides the one needed to craft the panel.
Then you just make a warehouse full of the drawers that you rarely have to look at.
Included in that is a rftools modular storage lvl2, so when i get back from doing whatever I just pop the lvl2 card from my rftools tablet and switch it with the one connected to storage drawers. So that just slowly drains the items into the system while i'm mucking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, does anyone know anything about detecting specific items in specific places in 1.7.10? I'm trying to make a contraption that, when a particular item is placed on something, it'll trigger. The thing the item gets placed on could be a pedestal, or an item frame, or whatever, as long as it's not a chest. I know I can do this with some various mod shenanigans if I use a chest, but I want the item to be on display, rather than hidden in a chest.