Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pheeets posted:

No Detta or Odetta either. Remember, she left and went back to NYC with Eddie at the end of #7. So no Eddie either. Although, if the movie does well, they're not ruling either one out for future installments, possibly in other media.

I was just playing because she had three names.

I thought we all agreed Aaron Paul would play Eddie though? I need this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

syscall girl posted:

King had a great adviser on carny slang though.

Who was it? I've worked as a "carny" for 19 years now and here definitely is a language on the road and he did get a lot of it right.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

syscall girl posted:

I'd watch Aaron Paul in just about anything.

I saw this on some social media site and thought it was laugh-worthy:

"I hate when you’re watching a procedural crime drama and they cast a well known actor as the surprise killer so the detective is like,

Hmmm I wonder if it was the baker, the doctor, or Bryan Cranston the Janitor. "

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

kenny powerzzz posted:

Who was it? I've worked as a "carny" for 19 years now and here definitely is a language on the road and he did get a lot of it right.

He just had a note about it i Joyland and didn't name a name.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

syscall girl posted:

I was just playing because she had three names.

I don't know, I don't see Eddie as Aaron Paul, at least not the written version of Eddie which admittedly probably isn't exactly what we're going to get.

Regarding whether he/Susannah will be in the movie - I know things are going to be different in the movie timeline but I hope they don't deviate wildly from the book plotline, at least through the first few books. I think he still needs to draw a supporting cast with at least some Cuthbert reincarnation (whether it's Eddie or someone else), and presumably Walter is going to leave Jake for him to find again. I feel like if they just scrap everything and write a whole new story with completely new characters and events it's going to come off as fanfic. Maybe they can leave out the lightsabers and Harry Potter and make the Crimson King actually intimidating, but otherwise I think they should at least try to stick to the source material major plotlines.

Also Oy better be in it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Murphy Brownback posted:

I don't know, I don't see Eddie as Aaron Paul, at least not the written version of Eddie which admittedly probably isn't exactly what we're going to get.

Regarding whether he/Susannah will be in the movie - I know things are going to be different in the movie timeline but I hope they don't deviate wildly from the book plotline, at least through the first few books. I think he still needs to draw a supporting cast with at least some Cuthbert reincarnation (whether it's Eddie or someone else), and presumably Walter is going to leave Jake for him to find again. I feel like if they just scrap everything and write a whole new story with completely new characters and events it's going to come off as fanfic. Maybe they can leave out the lightsabers and Harry Potter and make the Crimson King actually intimidating, but otherwise I think they should at least try to stick to the source material major plotlines.

Also Oy better be in it.

Oy will be played by a red panda. :o:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Pheeets posted:

I'd watch Aaron Paul in just about anything.

I saw this on some social media site and thought it was laugh-worthy:

"I hate when you’re watching a procedural crime drama and they cast a well known actor as the surprise killer so the detective is like,

Hmmm I wonder if it was the baker, the doctor, or Bryan Cranston the Janitor. "

Legit, though. I was watching Longmire and they're like "all these guys have motive" but one of them is Peter Stormare so it's pretty obvious who the episode is about.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

syscall girl posted:

Oy will be played by a red panda. :o:

I'm down with this casting decision.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

racecardriver posted:

If this thread has been made before, I will close this (sorry, I'm somewhat new; I also can't search). I've just always wanted to complain about how bad "Cujo" is. Also, I'm about halfway through "Tommyknockers" right now, and I'm thinking it's not so great.

I guess most of King's new stuff isn't very good either, although I haven't read his new short fiction collection.

What's the worst in your opinion?

I read Salem's Lot, Cycle of the Werewolf, On Writing, and listened to Under the Dome on CD.

I never liked King's writing style much but On Writing is my favorite book by King, and is the best book on the subject.

His fiction is too 50's nostalgic for my taste.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I can't believe this thread was started by someone who thinks Cujo sucks.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

d0s posted:

I just feel like he doesn't have any advisers on that subject for some reason, like you can tell with the EMT stuff at the beginning he had some EMT giving him real, inside knowledge of that profession and that sequence worked really well, it was great. I think he's either got his kids giving him advice when it come to computer crap or some other non professional, in any case it's someone who doesn't really get how computer people talk and it's just as jarring as if he had the cops or EMTs talking all goofy, maybe even moreso since most people interact with IT people more often at work and stuff. I don't have any great love for that profession,it just takes me out of the story and makes me feel like I'm reading a dad e-mail

He dropped the ball on the EMT stuff when he had them start doing CPR on someone at the scene of a multiple casualty incident. If there's more patients than ambulances and someone's not breathing, don't bother, tag them black, and find someone you can actually help. That's like, rule one of triaging people. It really irked me because he had nailed it up until then.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

is anyone else reading the new book as a metaphor for how staring at the bleep bloopity screens all day hypnotizes you so that bad guys can radicalize your brain. the part where the rich black girl got class consciousness from her tablet and wandered suicidally through the hood until she was saved by the well spoken young black kid who wants to be a basketball player but also gets straight As whose "hands were sculpted for holding a basketball" was awkward. god damnit stephen king

e:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

He dropped the ball on the EMT stuff when he had them start doing CPR on someone at the scene of a multiple casualty incident. If there's more patients than ambulances and someone's not breathing, don't bother, tag them black, and find someone you can actually help. That's like, rule one of triaging people. It really irked me because he had nailed it up until then.

god damnit stephen king

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I can't believe this thread was started by someone who thinks Cujo sucks.

Cujo is average at best; it's an extremely bleak book, and not in an interesting way like Pet Sematary.

Also the reference to The Dead Zone felt REALLY shoehorned-in and unnecessary.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Cujo is an excellent, blistering family drama.

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016
Well. King himself has said he was completely high during the writing of Cujo and cannot remember anything of it.

I'll try to get my source (one of his interviews in other books maybe?). But it explains why it is so uninspired.the ending saying cujo was just a good dog that got sick almost made me cry though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
For Cujo talk, he talks about being hosed up in On Writing, but goes into more detail about the story and inspiration in Bare Bones.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

NeruVolpi posted:

But it explains why [Cujo] is so uninspired.the ending saying cujo was just a good dog that got sick almost made me cry though.
It's legit depressing. St Bernards were my favourite dogs when I was a kid so Cujo was one King's book that sat untouched on the shelf for a very long time until curiosity finally prevailed and I decided I was mature enough (i.e. full on into cynical teenager stage) to handle ill and dead pets without getting reduced to a pile of tears. Didn't have this problem with Pet Sematary though as I knew at least Church gets to come back to life so he's totally fine in the end, honestly, you guys.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's just such a fiery, painful book.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Murphy Brownback posted:

Regarding whether he/Susannah will be in the movie -

The director has come out and said that Eddie and Susannah will not be in the first movie but they would appear in the sequel (if they get to make one.)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Cujo is one of my favorite King books, whether he remembers writing it or not. I re-read it not too long ago when I discovered this thread and so many people poo poo on it. I wanted to make sure it didn't suck and it didn't. I particularly like the way he introduced supernatural elements into it but still managed to keep it grounded by making them dreams and figments of Tad's imagination, which is always way scarier to me than most of the poo poo he's done since he got sober.

If King had written it within the last 10 or 15 years, Cujo would have been morphed into a wolf with octopus tentacles, spider legs with chain whips who crawls through an inter-dimensional band saw covered in mystic runes and would have eaten the entire Ford Pinto just after it magically turned into a horse. Joe's mechanic shop would have turned into some strange obsidian walled, blood soaked factory surrounded by aliens, lightening, snakes and living cereal box mascots brandishing knives. Tad would have had psychic, teleportation or telekineses powers before suddenly remembering that he was a vampire all along right before biting his mother to give her the power to kill the demon tentacle dog.

It wasn't until years later I realized that there are absolutely no chapters in Cujo. Might explain why I read it so fast both times and found it hard to put down.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

d0s posted:

god damnit stephen king

Pretty much any time Stephen King does research and shows it, he always drops the ball at the last second. At least he's actually bothering to get most of it right these days.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

BiggerBoat posted:

Cujo is one of my favorite King books, whether he remembers writing it or not. I re-read it not too long ago when I discovered this thread and so many people poo poo on it. I wanted to make sure it didn't suck and it didn't. I particularly like the way he introduced supernatural elements into it but still managed to keep it grounded by making them dreams and figments of Tad's imagination, which is always way scarier to me than most of the poo poo he's done since he got sober.

If King had written it within the last 10 or 15 years, Cujo would have been morphed into a wolf with octopus tentacles, spider legs with chain whips who crawls through an inter-dimensional band saw covered in mystic runes and would have eaten the entire Ford Pinto just after it magically turned into a horse. Joe's mechanic shop would have turned into some strange obsidian walled, blood soaked factory surrounded by aliens, lightening, snakes and living cereal box mascots brandishing knives. Tad would have had psychic, teleportation or telekineses powers before suddenly remembering that he was a vampire all along right before biting his mother to give her the power to kill the demon tentacle dog.

It wasn't until years later I realized that there are absolutely no chapters in Cujo. Might explain why I read it so fast both times and found it hard to put down.

Cujo was the one book I didn't read from that era in that era when I was a kid. If I remember, I wasn't interested in a story about a dog at all so I pretty much ignored it. I read it a couple of years ago and realised how good it was. It's one of my favorites now. I didn't think it would be that gripping or even interesting way back when, but it really is incredibly suspenseful and a good read. The 70s clothes and settings I imagine in my head-movie while I read that and others of that time is fun. I'm doing another disorganised re-read and Cujo's next on my list. I definitely prefer the early King, his writing was so tight and fresh. I don't begrudge the guy, he's a different man living a profoundly different life than he did at that time and I couldn't expect him to write with the exact same vigor and style. I could be quite happy if he had retired quite a few years ago but it's also comforting in that nostalgic way that he's still going.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Pretty much any time Stephen King does research and shows it, he always drops the ball at the last second. At least he's actually bothering to get most of it right these days.

Counterpoint:
a) guns
b) black people
d) young people
e) computers/IT
f) .....

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Counterpoint:
a) guns
b) black people
d) young people
e) computers/IT
f) .....

Alright, fine, trying to get more than normal right these days.

He didn't gently caress any gun stuff up in End of Watch, as far as I recall. That was a surprise.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I just reached a part in end of watch where he's describing the latest youth trends and one of them is "baggy jeans"

e: and the hot new boy band in 2016 is "we r ur brothas"

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

He didn't gently caress any gun stuff up in End of Watch, as far as I recall. That was a surprise.

Going out on a limb here and guessing this is referring to King's essays/rants about gun violence.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ornamented Death posted:

Going out on a limb here and guessing this is referring to King's essays/rants about gun violence.

No, just that when guns are described in King books, he usually uses a bunch of terms he heard someone say somewhere but doesn't really understand. Full auto colt .45s and "recoilless rifles firing seventy gas tipped slugs a second" and whatnot.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

No, just that when guns are described in King books, he usually uses a bunch of terms he heard someone say somewhere but doesn't really understand. Full auto colt .45s and "recoilless rifles firing seventy gas tipped slugs a second" and whatnot.

Yeah, more or less. I just heard that King fluffed some gun stuff. As the writers seemed to know what they were talking about I just accepted the idea that King doesn't research guns well. Can anyone here give some examples of King's gun goofs?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, more or less. I just heard that King fluffed some gun stuff. As the writers seemed to know what they were talking about I just accepted the idea that King doesn't research guns well. Can anyone here give some examples of King's gun goofs?

He thinks they can be used as dildos and are a real pain in the rear end.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The most memorable goof is the one from the stand that I quoted in that post. He has someone with a "recoilless rifle firing seventy gas tipped slugs a second".

A recoilless rifle isn't some fancy assault rifle. It's basically a bazooka. Gas tipped slugs... I have no idea what that even is. And seventy rounds a second is a number he just picked out of the air. That'd be 4200 rounds a minute, which is just shy of what a minigun puts out. Oh, and he fires it in an enclosed space, so if it was a recoilless rifle the backblast would turn everyone in the room into chunky salsa.

In Dr Sleep he talks about someone's fully automatic colt .45. A colt .45 is automatic, in the sense that it cycles itself with each shot, but it's semi automatic. A fully automatic one would be pretty much an Uzi with a 7 round clip.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 28, 2016

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

NeruVolpi posted:

Well. King himself has said he was completely high during the writing of Cujo and cannot remember anything of it.

I'll try to get my source (one of his interviews in other books maybe?). But it explains why it is so uninspired.the ending saying cujo was just a good dog that got sick almost made me cry though.

King was BLOTTO through the whole eighties. When he filmed in NC workers on set still have a plethora of funny/good/bad/OMG stories about him.

https://youtu.be/ggWS4tTzs60

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ramen Pride! posted:

King was BLOTTO through the whole eighties. When he filmed in NC workers on set still have a plethora of funny/good/bad/OMG stories about him.

https://youtu.be/ggWS4tTzs60

do you have a link to these stories, would love to read them

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Counterpoint:
a) guns

huh

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
At this point (having just read End of Watch) I wonder if King purposely misuses "clip" for "magazine" just to get under the skin of the type of people who probably send him bags of hate mail over gun poo poo.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

At this point (having just read End of Watch) I wonder if King purposely misuses "clip" for "magazine" just to get under the skin of the type of people who probably send him bags of hate mail over gun poo poo.

I brought up neal stephenson earlier who is known for almost autistically accurate gun stuff (among many other specialties) but he still uses clip instead of magazine every chance he can get, probably as some kind of way to distance himself from gun nut culture

e: I'm not a gun nut but I still appreciate it when writers try to get stuff like that right, no matter what it is really. "I don't like thing" isn't an excuse for lovely research. I don't mind the "clip" stuff because it's widely used slang even though technically incorrect, just the flagrantly dumb poo poo like gas tipped bullets etc

d0s fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 29, 2016

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I recently re-read REAMDE and noticed that, too. I enjoy reading Stephenson so much, it didn't bother me. Just before that I read Seveneves and loved it. All of it. Dude writes for me.
King does, too.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

I recently re-read REAMDE and noticed that, too. I enjoy reading Stephenson so much, it didn't bother me. Just before that I read Seveneves and loved it. All of it. Dude writes for me.
King does, too.

I found seveneves depressing & lacking any of the fun of his previous books but still think it's a million times better than end of watch, which I'm officially hatereading. I'm one of the most forgiving stephen king fans there is (I legit enjoy tommyknockers, geralds game, dolores claiborne, etc) but the hodges trilogy is just really bad on so many levels and end of watch is the worst of them by a mile

d0s fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 29, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dr. Faustus posted:

oh i thought that guy was perturbed king (rightfully) is pro gun control. mea culpa.

d0s posted:

I found seveneves depressing & lacking any of the fun of his previous books but still think it's a million times better than end of watch, which I'm officially hatereading. I'm one of the most forgiving stephen king fans there is (I legit enjoy tommyknockers, geralds game, dolores claiborne, etc) but the hodges trilogy is just really bad on so many levels and end of watch is the worst of them by a mile

stephenson and king have kinda the same issue for me where most of the premises are insanely cool and good but then the execution is either lackluster or boring. i know stephenson's thing is infodumps but i loving hate infodumps and it's incredibly lazy writing. king it always takes way too long to get to the "good stuff" except in a few instances - i know a lot of people here like the background but there's a point where it gets to be too much and get on with it. tommyknockers is a fantastic example of that, if it was half as long it'd be twice as good.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jul 29, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

tbh the only time stephenson's infodumps annoyed me was most recently in seveneves where it was like he was trying to be as dry and "hard SF" as possible, for pretty much the entire rest of his work I always loved them, even the crackpot stoner sumerian stuff in snow crash. I do see how they're similar in that they're both prolific and popular genre writers with signature quirks that seem like neuroses because they're repeated so often. people have been reading both of these guys since childhood (when you're a lot more forgiving) and that stuff ends up seeming familiar or welcoming, but to new/less constant readers it may be offputting

d0s fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
reading The Bazaar of Bad Dreams I like the stories I've read so far.

Mile 81 feels like a cool setup for a story but then it just ends and you wish it was more developed.

the state-run restaurants here are just buildings with bathrooms and vending machines. There's no commercial restaurants at them

are there really rest stops in Maine with real restaurants like Burger King and stuff that the state runs. I guess they could have the bathroom buildings too it seems like the restaurants could support themselves even if they shut those down.